ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite public golf course in KY

Kearney Hills in Lexington

Mineral Mounds on Lake Barkley

Old Silo was just in terrible shape last I heard, which is a shame, very challenging and unique design

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Ones I've played - Maywood with heritage hills a close second. I also liked nevelmeade, but its been a while since I was there.

Ones I want to play - mineral mounds and wasioto winds.

Last edited:
Hard to beat the University Club courses.

I'll be interested to see the new Marriott design.

Mineral Mounds was great when I played it.

nice to hear about this. Haven't played in a while. How much are they doing?

Regardless, unless they make #1 a par 4, it'll stay my least favorite starting hole in the world.

"Here's a par 5 that you can't really use driver on unless you can carry it 270"

Hardly the "friendly handshake" Hogan talked about.

"Griffin Gate finished 2014 ranked No. 2 in the Marriott Golf portfolio based on overall golf course conditions, and that's pretty strong company."

From the article linked below. I like GG but if it is 2nd among all Marriott Courses on anything it doesn't speak very highly of Marriott Golf.

Haven't been since the refurb. May have to go try it out. After 3:30 of course.

Let me correct: $35 after 3pm Mon-Fri, $45 after 3pm Sat and Sun. I've always liked the course so I will probably play it more on occasion after work.

Last edited:
Mason Healy off Harrodsburg rd in Lexington. Par 3 course. Nothing better.

I'll throw this one out for all the old assholes in here. Everyone knows Nicholasville Rd/Regency center Kroger, right?

You know the Pieratt's? Right next to that to the right and in front of what is now Panera used to be a place called Duff's Driving Range.

Yes, you would hit from nicholasville road into the Kroger, Michael's and the pet store parking lot. This was like mid 70's.

That's where I honed my game. Getting dropped off at 8 am and playing til 5 FTWinplaceandshow.

Played there all the time when I was a poor at UK. $8 to walk as many as you want.

Nearly chopped my pinkie off closing that old metal drink shed, got hit in the stomach while playing #1 by a tee shot on #2 (might be the most dangerous course on the planet) and got my first hole-in-one on #4.

Love that terrible little death-trap.

Last edited:
Nevelmeade in Louisville is a pretty challenging course and they keep it in excellent shape although it is a bit pricey. BYOB as well so that's always a bonus.

Haha, indeed. I was stubborn too, just kept pulling out a brand new ball. Can't remember what they were, but they were top of the line expensive little bastards.

It's like the fairways weren't close to being flat -- they sloped to each side and my left-to-left banana balls didn't stand a chance. One of the last rounds I ever played.
Well, I played it in like 2006 but there was a TON of water and a lot of forest areas. You better hit it straight or you will pay dearly. I can see someone losing a sleeve or five at that course.

Played there all the time when I was a poor at UK. $8 to walk as many as you want.

Nearly chopped my pinkie off closing that old metal drink shed, got hit in the stomach while playing #1 by a tee shot on #2 (might be the most dangerous course on the planet) and got my first hole-in-one on #4.

Love that terrible little death-trap.
#4 is a nice hole. Can't believe I still don't have one

BWBK (before wife, before kids), when I really used to play a lot, I always enjoyed Houston Oaks, Old Silo, Nevel Meade and Heritage Hills.

Not the nicest, but also enjoy Kenny Perry's Country Creek. Always great service and have had a couple of nice conversations with KP himself. Just good people.

Where is the love for Lakesides and Tates Creeks.
Always liked Lakeside. The Bull was fun as well. Funnest course was Connemara. Could grip and rip and not get penalized much at all (pretty open). None were terribly expensive when I was broke and just glad to be able to get on a golf course.

Anyone made the trek to pineville for Wasioto Winds? Worth the drive from Lex?
The two times I've played it, it was as a side trip after being finished with work. I enjoyed it, and there are some pretty holes; but it doesn't stick out as spectacular to me.

I guess to check it off your list, go ahead. I don't think it's a course worth driving to to play more than once.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT