ADVERTISEMENT

What are your Top 5 UK "Goose Bump" moments?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
Mine..

1) UK-Duke Game in 1998 when Padgett and Mills hitting 3's

2) John Wall's breakaway dunk against UNC in Rupp. The place came unglued.

3) Singing the National Anthem in Rupp, in unison, against UNC last year and UL the year prior. LOVE THAT.

4) Going to the final four and hearing all kinds of warm up music, but having UK take the floor to the Bittersweet Symphony fast version that we hear in Rupp. That was awesome!

5) Cal hugging Liggins in the ncaa tourney against UNC, then Liggins taking the floor in tears.

Reactions: meow_cat
In no order:

1. The 3 McCarty hit from the corner to put us up for good in the Mardi Gras miracle in 94.
2. Tayshaun Prince's 5th three from the K in Rupp against UNC**
3, The Cousins tip-in in the SEC-T title game.
4. Aaron Harrison's 3 against Michigan
5. Padgett's 3 in the 98 Duke game.

Aaron Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Liggins three to seal a win over unc and a trip to the ff
Padgett in 1998 and mills
Holding my infant son as I watched mkg block that shot and our guys hoist the trophy

In no order.
1. James Lee's dunk against Duke sealing NCAA title.
2. UK comeback against Duke in 1998.
3. UK's entire run in NCAA tourney in 2014.
4. The last minute of UNC game in 2011 in which UK made the final four.
5. UK comeback against Arkansas in OT to win 1995 SEC tourney.

A couple of them were ruined by the other team. Master's shot to send the Dream Game to overtime. Sean Woods.

I'll go with....

1) Cedric Jenkins' tip-in to beat Louisville by one point in 1988.
2) Aaron Harrison's free throw to seal the Sweet 16 win over Louisville, 2014.
3) Travis Ford's free throw to seal the Mardi Gras Miracle, 1994
4) Tayshaun's fifth three against UNC
5) The Duke kid's three bouncing harmlessly off the backboard in 1998.

UK-Duke 1998 Scottie P and Cameron Mills shots

Aaron Harrison's 2014 tournament shots. The video montage of that is awesome

Delk's 3 against SU in the title game

Davis' finishing dunk against UL in FF

2012 Title game celebration

The Macy/Anderson comeback vs KU
Lee dunk vs Duke
Brassow tip-in
the 5th Prince 3
Sparks getting fouled to beat UL

to be fair there have been so many between '58 and now I can't count them all

gotta say, mills three was a force of nature. there was time left but that was the championship momentum-wise imo. we had been beating people pretty bad before that. now you couldn't knock us out.

Sparks 3 against Michigan State in the Elite 8 to force OT, even though they lost in OT

Big chills up my spine during those last seconds, as the ball teased the rim. I'm probably wearing my Blue Goggles on this one, but if the Cats had won that one and gone on to take the title... that shot might've replaced CL's 1992 shot on all the CBS promos.

Knight shot against Ohio st.

Yep, the Knight shot against OSU almost sent me through the ceiling!

Always going to remember the big 3's in the 1998 comeback against Dook.
Boogie's tip-in to send it to OT in the SECT Championship.
Beating Arkansas for 1995 SECT Championship in OT.

I got goosebumps in 1996 when the team chanted "tell me who's in the house tonight....yoo kay!" after beating Syracuse.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
While not quite a "moment" they are appropriate I think...

1) The night the Goose was golden! 42 big one's to lead UK to it's 5th national title and first without Rupp. I was a junior at UK. NO other title can ever top that one for me
2) When AD caused the KU player to walk simply by being there finally securing the 2012 title.
3) Mills and Padgett from 3 against Duke. Those really were chills!
4) Aaron from 3 to beat Michigan with his brother Andrew telling him "shoot it".
5) The moment the horn sounded over UK's win over undefeated IU in 1975. A team they'd lost to by 24 or so just a few months earlier.

Reactions: Southport1975
Mine..

1) UK-Duke Game in 1998 when Padgett and Mills hitting 3's

2) John Wall's breakaway dunk against UNC in Rupp. The place came unglued.

3) Singing the National Anthem in Rupp, in unison, against UNC last year and UL the year prior. LOVE THAT.

4) Going to the final four and hearing all kinds of warm up music, but having UK take the floor to the Bittersweet Symphony fast version that we hear in Rupp. That was awesome!

5) Cal hugging Liggins in the ncaa tourney against UNC, then Liggins taking the floor in tears.

One the I think could make the bottom of this list is when the Cats beat Fla in the SECT championship during the 2011 season. I don't know what exactly made that so special for me, but I remember tearing up as we pulled away in that game. I believe it was the combo of struggling in conference play only to catch Fire late.

2012 Title
98's comeback vs Duke
2014 Run- Maybe my favorite tourney ever
Knight's shot versus OSU
Boogie's tip in vs Miss St
Sparks shot vs Mich St

Man, 2014 would have been my best memory in sports if we could have just beaten UConn. I hate those *&&^E$#. They are honorary Massholes.

Jack Givens (who very rarely dunked) dunking on UNLV's Reggie Theus in a one-on-one runout in 1978.

My six, in chronological order:
6. When the clock expired during the 1975 Regional Final, the 92-90 win over loathsome Bobby Knight.
5. The Scott Padgett shot (and Mills' shot) in the 1998 Regional Final vs. Duke
4. The Liggins' shot to beat UNC-CHeats in teh REgional Final, and send the Cats back to the Final Four
3. I see the three Aaron Harrison shots -UL-UM-UW- as a set of pure adrenaline rush
2. Jamal Murray's shot to beat UNC-Cheats in the Regional Final in 2016. The key to #9
1. Tyler Ulis hugging Cal as time expired in the 2018 Finals, and the "Three-peat" became a reality. On that day he became the most accomplished Cat in history, by almost any measure.

Screenshot_2015-03-17-23-02-21-2_zpsowdkggm0.png

After that shot I was convinced we were winning the title. I was mentally prepared to lose the Michigan game and the Wisconsin game and once they were out of the way I didn't think they would lose to uconn. I can remember standing there and when he started his shooting motion my immediate reaction was why he was taking it that far and staring in complete disbelief for a second or two after he hit it and waited until Jackson missed his shot at the other end before flipping out

Reactions: EvilMD
1 The 70's come back against Kansa after being down by ten very late.
2 Sean htting the three to put UK up over Duke with 2.8 secs left,most down I have been about 3 seconds later.
3 Doron Lamb's jumper late against Kansas.
4 AD's block late against UNC.
5 75 against IU second game.

1. Bobby Knight's wife crying like a baby when UK ended their 1975 undefeated season in the Mid East finals.
2. Derek Anderson's dunk against UL in 1996.
3. The look on Rick Pitino's face when Aaron Harrison hit the 2 game clinching free throws at the end of their 2014 sweet 16 game.
4. The sweet 16 game against Wake Forest in 1993, when UK was getting steal after steal& hitting 3 after 3 which led game announcer Dick Stockton to say, "this is a withering display of basketball talent on both ends of the floor.
5. The lead-in to UK's Regional Final game against once again poor Wake Forest in 1996 when the game announce called, UK college basketball most explosive team.

The particular way in which Jeff Sheppard was drilling his 3 pointers in this game here - goose bumps, indeed. Definitely one of our finest final four games ever. A very under-discussed game in our program's history.

Reactions: jameslee32
So hard to limit it to just 5 but here are mine, in no particular order

Brassow's tip-in vs Arizona in Maui
Padgett's and Mill's 3s against Duke in '98, really that entire comeback
Tayshaun's 5th 3 against UNC
Aaron Harrison's shot to beat Michigan
Knight's game winner vs OSU

The particular way in which Jeff Sheppard was drilling his 3 pointers in this game here - goose bumps, indeed. Definitely one of our finest final four games ever. A very under-discussed game in our program's history.
i agree. that stanford team had good size, and three point shooting. i think their whole front court went pro. but nazr dominated right out of the gate in the second half, and shep finished them off with two major clutch threes. a great game in a uk history, and just a great game.

In no order

Aaron's Michigan shot. I was there and we all went banana cakes. The others were great and I could fill a list with them, but I watched them from Lexington!

Tayshauns 3 from the K. It will always be hilarious. So much swag. HE GOT THE PUPPIES SET OFF THE BUS.

2012 title. First title I was truly old enough to enjoy! That whole season had a lot of amazing moments, like the UNC block. It was just amazing the talent we had that year.

Hiring Cal. I knew from that second we were back, and man are we back!

UK-Duke 1992. The first time I was ever truly emotionally invested in a basketball game. I was 10.

2014-2015s epics beat downs of Kansas, UNC, UCLA and West Virginia. Giddy as a child.
-----
My biggest disappointments would be the WVA loss (on my birthday no less!) and Wisconsin. I had my car parked legally in the center of campus, 24 beers and 2 handles of vodka in the trunk, all in a cooler, snacks, cups... We were ready to roll all night. Absolutely no one wanted to be out after that game, and it was practically a ghost town. We said screw sports and did some karaoke.

Screenshot_2015-03-17-23-02-21-2_zpsowdkggm0.png

After that shot I was convinced we were winning the title. I was mentally prepared to lose the Michigan game and the Wisconsin game and once they were out of the way I didn't think they would lose to uconn. I can remember standing there and when he started his shooting motion my immediate reaction was why he was taking it that far and staring in complete disbelief for a second or two after he hit it and waited until Jackson missed his shot at the other end before flipping out

Ditto on everything you just typed.

Lots of good ones here. I'll just add Dwight Anderson's dunk over Orlando Woolridge

Of the ones listed above, I don't know how anything could match Aaron Harrison's 3rd game winner. It played out like a script. Sean Wood's shot was such a surprise that it took me a second to realize what had happened.

I was at Rupp when Rupp's Runts were brought back for a reunion. Guessing this was around '97. Maybe earlier '90s. Huge roar after they were all introduced. Then it got louder somehow. And then even louder. And a sustained roar for a long time. Even as a Vol, it was very moving.

From the opposite perspective (a non-fan):

1. Laettner dropping the deuce at the buzzer.

2. Aaron Harrison air-balling the three against Wisconsin. that sealed it.

3. Ronnell Finley's steal and pass over his head to his twin brother, Donnell, for the dunk. And the subsequent upset.

4. Jason Williams' 3-point display to bring Duke back from 12 down for the win.

5.Arizona preventing the cats from repeating. "Simon says 'championship.'"

Honorable mentions

a. VMI coming into Rupp and bombing threes all night. It was even better than the Gardner-Webb game.

b. Marquette jumping on the cats in '94 and '03. I didn't expect either one.

c. Vanderbilt's 40-point win. But I felt bad for the players, personally. Nobody needs to lose like that.

d. "Watford for the win!"

e. Michigan taming the cats in the 1993 Final Four. Only time I ever cheered for Michigan.

These are the moments that made me the happiest cheering against the wildcats. I was born and raised in kentucky. Just my two cents, I mean no offense.

3. Ronnell Finley's steal and pass over his head to his twin brother, Donnell, for the dunk. And the subsequent upset.

Honorable mentions

a. VMI coming into Rupp and bombing threes all night. It was even better than the Gardner-Webb game.

c. Vanderbilt's 40-point win. But I felt bad for the players, personally. Nobody needs to lose like that.

e. Michigan taming the cats in the 1993 Final Four. Only time I ever cheered for Michigan.

These are the moments that made me the happiest cheering against the wildcats. I was born and raised in kentucky. Just my two cents, I mean no offense.

How are you born and raised in Kentucky and end up a bandwagon NCAA fan? Most people are fans of their home team, and if not, usually pick a team to root for. Picking the NCAA is not a noble pick and isn't looked upon wisely. It's a cheap way out with lots of undeserved wins.

How are you born and raised in Kentucky and end up a bandwagon NCAA fan? Most people are fans of their home team, and if not, usually pick a team to root for. Picking the NCAA is not a noble pick and isn't looked at wisely. It's a cheap way out.

I don't know what a bandwagon NCAA fan is but that isn't me. I'm a Duke fan. All of my family is from North Carolina and my dad grew up a major Duke fan. He raised my brother and I the same. Webtook quite a bit of hell everyday growing up, but oh well.

I don't know what a bandwagon NCAA fan is but that isn't me. I'm a Duke fan. All of my family is from North Carolina and my dad grew up a major Duke fan. He raised my brother and I the same. Webtook quite a bit of hell everyday growing up, but oh well.

Right, so your dad brought you up rooting for the NCAA. It's funner when you pick a real team though. You get to live through the ups and downs. But to each his own.

I must have been unclear that I'm a Duke fan.
And I'm confused on this NCAA thing. I cheer for whoever is playing the cats. Just like many on this board cheer for whoever is playing against Duke. Doesn't make them NCAA fans or whatever you're speaking of.
Or maybe, yes. I am an NCAA fan. I watch a ton of games. And even go to some.

Honorable mentions

1. UNLV beating Duke by 30 in the final in 1990. No telling what Brent Musburger was talking about that night as he called the game. (most of us quit watching at halftime)
2. UConn upsetting Duke in the 1999 final. Sports Illustrated cover: Conn Artists
3. Coach K falling to the ground like Dr. Evil and curling into the fetal position. Good times.
4. The final seconds of the Mercer game. Or was that the Lehigh game? VCU? I get them mixed up.
5. Wojo acting like he was on the rack and Magloire looking at him like "dude trippin'". Clueless Billy Packer saying "he's a tough little guy" as Wojo shakes off the torture.

Last edited:
Reactions: dezyDeco

Honorable mentions

6. Danny Ferry clotheslining Jeff Hall as Hall went in for a basket in the final seconds of Louisville's 72-69 victory in the 86 final, a game Duke had in hand. Stay classy, Duke.
7. The Maryland fans' signs...one said Redick, the other said "ulously gay"
8. Coach K getting hurt that one year, then demanding that the Blue Devils crappy season be taken off his record and applied to the assistant who took over for him.
9. Duke getting booed in the 2001 final against Arizona because of all the calls they had gotten against Maryland in the semifinal and all the calls they were getting in the final.
10. Duke's player going after the ref after Indiana beat Duke in Rupp Arena. How dare you make a bad call against us, do you know who we are?

6. Danny Ferry clotheslining Jeff Hall as Hall went in for a basket in the final seconds of Louisville's 72-69 victory in the 86 final, a game Duke had in hand. Stay classy, Duke.
8. Coach K getting hurt that one year, then demanding that the Blue Devils crappy season be taken off his record and applied to the assistant who took over for him.
9. Duke getting booed in the 2001 final against Arizona because of all the calls they had gotten against Maryland in the semifinal and all the calls they were getting in the final.
10. Duke's player going after the ref after Indiana beat Duke in Rupp Arena. How dare you make a bad call against us, do you know who we are?

That's what I'm talking about. All 10 of those were horrible moments. Except I wasn't old enough to remember the '86 championship. I even watched the VCU game in Rupp Arena. With A Duke sweatshirt on. Rough night. Interesting to hear your sweetest anti-Duke moments. One's high is another's low.

Oh yeah, I was AT the damn Lehigh game. I guess I completely blocked that out. That was a sorry experience. I had that terrible feeling they were gunna lose as soon as I stepped into the arena. I knew...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT