ADVERTISEMENT

What are we going to miss the most about the Harrisons?

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
Listening to NBA XM radio yesterday on the way to the Cavs/Hawks game, and the Harrison's high school coach called in during talk about the draft. 'John' went on to describe the twins as nothing but class acts and professionals and why aren't they getting more credibility to be drafted this year? John talked about them being Top 5 in mock drafts out of high school.
He went on to say that the kids perhaps digressed here due to their personalities in simply just doing what Coach wanted them to do....to me, it didn't sound like John felt the kids improved at all out of high school. IMO, I think they got valuable experience in 2 years and they are more roster-ready than they would have been out of high school.

So saying that, is there any one thing that we'll miss most about the twins and their success here? Will Ulis/Briscoe do as much as they did for our teams for the 2 years they were here?

I expect Andrew and Aaron to play summer league and let their play legitimize chances to make a roster. If you're not drafted in the 1st round, its probably better to have the option and go to a team of your own choosing.

I'll miss Andrew's leadership and play down the stretch in '14 and '15. I thought he was outstanding in the tournament run in '14 and from February on this year.

I'll miss Aaron's clutch play. The kid is on the shortlist of greatest clutch players in UK history. We may never see another college basketball player hit clutch shots in 3 straight tourney games like he did last year. Hell, throw in the bomb against ND this season, too.

The kids were all class. I don't think they regressed at all. Cal gave them every opportunity to succeed. They were just overrated a bit. Their size advantage at the guard spot meant more in high school than it did in college, and their lack of quickness hurt them more.

With that said, I expect Andrew to have a good pro career. I don't think he'll be a starter but he can be a rotation guy. Aaron needs to become a knockdown shooter. I think he has it in him but he needs to find his shot.

Both were class acts and represented the blue and white well. I'm happy to have them as Wildcats and will root for them for life.

BTW, people lump them together because they're twins, but Aaron was never considered a great NBA prospect. Andrew was as a 6'6" PG but Aaron was always at the end of the 1st round.

I disagree with someone who would claim they've regressed. I do think their status as prospects has declined a bit, but I think that has more to do with that "early maturation" syndrome out of high school. Every year, we see a big bulky guard/wing or two who just beat down their scrawny opponents in HS and ended up burger boys while not necessarily having an A+ package of skill refinement and athleticism/long term potential.

I do think Andrew has gotten way more mature and regardless of where his draft stock is at, I trust him way more to lead a team in college or the NBA now than at the beginning of his freshman year. I think he could eventually be a solid rotation guy.

As for Aaron, he's a pretty good athlete who is a streaky shooter, was never developed as a primary handler, has average lateral quickness at the NBA level (not a crazy high defensive ceiling) and is a bit short for the wing at the NBA level. I mean, there are a million bench guys in the league who match that description. How high was he ever going to go?

I don't think anybody thought either was going to be an all-star coming out of HS.

I hope I'm wrong about Aaron though - maybe he can refine his shooting to the point where he has staying power. But that's just about reps in the gym. All up to him.

Mainly Aaron's perimeter D.

Seemed like it never got enough press, but for two straight years, he was our best/most consistent perimeter defender.

- Alex can make a case during the Randle year, but he peaked during the 2nd half of that season.

- Some may say Willie for this season, but he truly shined harassing ball handlers in the PnR with the occasional assignment to a teams offensive weapon.

They are clutch and winners. May have taken a while to show them a lot longer than expected to show it off but those are two attributes that can't be taught or developed.

This:
aaron-harrison-3-against-wisconsin.gif

And then the video in my signature as well.

I'll miss their big play ability. They almost always showed up in crunch time, whether it be an Andrew Harrison drive to the basket or a big time Aaron 3. They are responsible for a lot of iconic Kentucky basketball moments.

We'll miss a big strong level headed tandem of guards. SEC play is very physical and these guys were born to it.

Some of the greatest and most enjoyable moments as fan have come because of the play of these twins.

Two banners are(will) be hanging in Rupp because of these two kids.

They're winners in my book. Exceptionally mature and classy kids that took a lot of criticism during their time here all the while still plugging away improving themselves and their game. They were great representatives of what KY basketball is all about.

Shame on any posters that still can't appreciate what they accomplished here.

The twins were over rated coming out of high school. This put a lot of pressure on them at UK. They were expected to be all stars but they were not athletic enough to live up to their hype. Two good multi year players that have no business going to the NBA this year.

I thought coming in that them having played together for years would be a big plus but after two years of watching them it was just the opposite, They were always looking for each other to the detriment of team play.

I truthfully am not that sad that they will no longer be at UK. If Calipari had been able to bring in his normal type class I would be glad they were gone. I have never been a big fan of the Harrison twins and believe they have played out of position at UK. I think both would have been better SFs than guards. Neither is quick enough, able to shoot from deep well enough or quick enough on defense to man the guard positions. Heck they were not even strong finishing inside. IMO both were just average college players.

They hit some huge shots and we wouldn't have made two straight Final Fours without them but of course we have a few idiot fans glad to see them gone.Amazing.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Listening to NBA XM radio yesterday on the way to the Cavs/Hawks game, and the Harrison's high school coach called in during talk about the draft. 'John' went on to describe the twins as nothing but class acts and professionals and why aren't they getting more credibility to be drafted this year? John talked about them being Top 5 in mock drafts out of high school.
He went on to say that the kids perhaps digressed here due to their personalities in simply just doing what Coach wanted them to do....to me, it didn't sound like John felt the kids improved at all out of high school. IMO, I think they got valuable experience in 2 years and they are more roster-ready than they would have been out of high school.

So saying that, is there any one thing that we'll miss most about the twins and their success here? Will Ulis/Briscoe do as much as they did for our teams for the 2 years they were here?

I expect Andrew and Aaron to play summer league and let their play legitimize chances to make a roster. If you're not drafted in the 1st round, its probably better to have the option and go to a team of your own choosing.
What I will not miss is their crashing to the floor after a layup attempt. I was always afraid they would end hurting themselves.

The twins were over rated coming out of high school. This put a lot of pressure on them at UK. They were expected to be all stars but they were not athletic enough to live up to their hype. Two good multi year players that have no business going to the NBA this year.

I thought coming in that them having played together for years would be a big plus but after two years of watching them it was just the opposite, They were always looking for each other to the detriment of team play.

I truthfully am not that sad that they will no longer be at UK. If Calipari had been able to bring in his normal type class I would be glad they were gone. I have never been a big fan of the Harrison twins and believe they have played out of position at UK. I think both would have been better SFs than guards. Neither is quick enough, able to shoot from deep well enough or quick enough on defense to man the guard positions. Heck they were not even strong finishing inside. IMO both were just average college players.

Good God why do you bash them like this after they took us to 2 final fours? You said yesterday they should have never been here because they were not serious in the classroom, like you actually know something. You twin bashers are as pathetic as the post I am responding to. I can't wait till next year when you haters realize how important they were to the last 2 teams. I can't wait to see you blame them for something that happens on the court next year, that's how rational you are. They saved our ass numerous times the last 2 years and this bullshit is the kind of thanks they get from some of you?

I think some of your points are valid but you have to also give them a LOT of credit, which yoiu failed to do.

This is the epitome of a spoiled UK "fan." You have enjoyed two back to back Final Fours because the "twins carried the team on their backs."(Cal's words btw) in order to get us there. Neither would've happened without them, period. Say what you want about their skillset and positions but those kids win games and as a UK fan, I enjoy winning games and final fours and appreciate the players that make that happen for us as fans.

That post has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. Congrats.

Good God why do you bash them like this after they took us to 2 final fours? You said yesterday they should have never been here because they were not serious in the classroom, like you actually know something. You twin bashers are as pathetic as the post I am responding to. I can't wait till next year when you haters realize how important they were to the last 2 teams. I can't wait to see you blame them for something that happens on the court next year, that's how rational you are. They saved our ass numerous times the last 2 years and this bullshit is the kind of thanks they get from some of you?

You must have me mixed up with someone else because I have never gave any post about the twins work in the class room. What I have given is IMO an honest appraisal of their talent and it seems the NBA agrees with me. I appreciate every thing the twins did at UK and wish them success in the future. I just do not think they were elite talent like the ratings predicted them to be coming out of high school.

They lacked quickness, they did not have great hops, their outside shot was inconsistent, they did not finish well at the rim considering their size, they were not very good at posting up smaller guards and they could not defend quick guards. These are the reasons that one is likely to go in the second round and the other just might not get drafted.

You guys won't have them to blame for loses is what you will miss
2014- Mercer 78, Duke 71
2013- Louisville 85, Duke 63
2012- Lehigh 75, Duke 70
2011- Arizona 93, Duke 77
2009- Villanova 77, Duke 54
2008- West Virginia 73, Duke 67
2007- VCU 79, Duke 77

They were outstanding young men with good character and a strong work ethic. They will be successful in life off the basketball court. Their good citizenship will be missed. This also applies to others on the team, all seemed to be the best with high character and a willingness to help where needed.

I'll miss Andrew more than Aaron. One thing I'll miss about Aaron is that pull up jumper.

You clearly lack a brain.

I think I enjoyed the tourney run in 2014 more than any year I can remember since 1998. In 2012, it was more a relief winning the title. The twins were a huge part of the success the last two years including that tourney run.

Brothers had no fear. Didn't matter what was in front of them as evidenced by Aaron with his clutch shots last year and Andrew continually driving the lane even though he got smacked in the head nearly everytime he touched paint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT