ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen Gabriel Continues Hot Play at Adidas Nations

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops 6m6 minutes ago
2016 forward Wenyen Gabriel has proven recent play is no fluke. He has been dominant at #adidasnations. 51 points and 35 rebounds in 2 games

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 5h5 hours ago
There isn't much Wenyen Gabriel doesn't do. Aggressive forward who can create his own shot & boxes out on every possession.
#AdidasNations

That's now up to 74 pts and 55 rebounds in 3 games. And 10 blocks.

This Adidas event has been televised in previous years, and it's very much a no-D, run up and down the court thing, but still- the 55 rebounds alone is eye-popping, and this is clearly a big statement by Gabriel.

not to derail the thread....

but kobi simmons is also playing in this event. played 2 games, averaging 14. shooting 36% from the floor, 16% from three.

dennis smith is averaging 18 ppg, 51% from the floor, 25% from three. 2-1 A/T ratio

Amazes me at the luck of Duke that this kid absolutely blows up this Summer and turns out to be a big freakin' Duke fan - when they already are probably going to get an epic class in Giles, Tatum, Jackson - wouldn't be surprised to see them get Bolden too.

They don't even need Gabriel. I don't think they were even planning to recruit another PF this year. I think they're recruiting Bolden as the C and Giles as a PF, which is the position he wants to play.

Lol - I predict Jeter will transfer out by his sophomore year.

Amazes me at the luck of Duke that this kid absolutely blows up this Summer and turns out to be a big freakin' Duke fan - when they already are probably going to get an epic class in Giles, Tatum, Jackson - wouldn't be surprised to see them get Bolden too.

They don't even need Gabriel. I don't think they were even planning to recruit another PF this year. I think they're recruiting Bolden as the C and Giles as a PF, which is the position he wants to play.

Lol - I predict Jeter will transfer out by his sophomore year.

Stop whining. Other programs have said the exact same stuff about UK the last 6 years.

You can call it whining if you want to, but Duke is good enough they don't need to be lucky on top of it.

Lucky as in the fastest rising, looks like a young Kevin Durant recruit of 2016 is a Duke fan.

The Wenyan Gabriel recruitment could actually really shake things up.

If Gabriel jumps on the Duke offer and commits early, could that push Giles to look elsewhere? Gabriel is not a center and Tatum is already locked in at SF with a lot of other guys competing for SF minutes. Giles wants no part of playing Center.

If Giles commits to Duke, would Gabriel still go there knowing he will not start? Will be interesting to see this one play out.

The Wenyan Gabriel recruitment could actually really shake things up.

If Gabriel jumps on the Duke offer and commits early, could that push Giles to look elsewhere? Gabriel is not a center and Tatum is already locked in at SF with a lot of other guys competing for SF minutes. Giles wants no part of playing Center.

If Giles commits to Duke, would Gabriel still go there knowing he will not start? Will be interesting to see this one play out.
And we know K is going to play Tatum at PF anyway.[winking]

Actually there was an interview with Gabriel recently where he said Cal was the only coach telling him he could play the wing, whIch is where I think he would like to play in college.

Wouldn't Gabriel/Bridges be an amazing 3/4 combo? I'm actually beginning to think we may have a better shot at this kid than some realize.

Slow down on the "fan" stuff. Most of these kids choose a favorite team long before they're old enough to know if they'll be the kind of player recruited by them. It's easy to grow up a Duke fan, it's a different story when Kentucky and others come calling and you have to decide if that's actually the best situation for yourself.

It seems all big men want to play on the wing nowadays and i really can't understand why. Do what you dobest and don't try to be something you're not. It's cool trying to better your game, but why struggle when you can be putting up better numbers at another spot.

ADVERTISEMENT