ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the movies today...WTF???

trueblujr2

All-American
Dec 14, 2005
Ok, I admit, I don't actually go to the movies at the theater very often, been quite a while since I have actually. I'm content to wait for most movies to come out on Netflix or whatever. But it was my sons birthday and he wanted to see Poltergeist, so we went.

Now I get the price of the tickets, I know those are what they are. And I know the food has always been overly pricey, but seriously...$20.25 for a large popcorn and two drinks? (and the menu actually said "save .75 cents")

How is that justified? Amusement parks don't even charge that much. I pay .85 cents for a large tea at Circle K. Gas stations use soft drinks as loss leaders, they will basically give the drinks away to get you into the store to buy more stuff on impulse. but still. that price (which is similar at most convenience stores these days) goes to prove that the cost of the beverages to the reseller is miniscule. How in the world can a theater justify what equates to about 1000% markup. fortunately I have the fortitude to make it through a movie without the need to stuff my face.

Ok, that's my rant for the day, I will continue my reluctance to go to the movie theater.

That's how movie theaters make money. They don't make a whole lot off of the actual movie but they more than make it up at the concession stand.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
You're getting a product in return that cost 50 million to make so it's still a bargain.

I don't know how cinemas survive today , can't see the appeal of going there . Same movie a little later on blue ray with rewind , pause , cheaper snacks and your own personal restroom .

Ill be damned if I pay 20.25 for large popcorn and two drinks. You're wife must be a needy one. That woman better learn to share a drink and a popcorn not the size of a large.

Reactions: maverick1
A purse for the snacks... and for the drinks:

double-beer-hat.jpg

]
Take your wife and her big touching purse, then you can take all the snacks you want. I even took in a sandwich from Arby's once.

I snuck in my dog once about 11 years ago when he was a pup. Stuck him in a purse of some friends I was with. He didn't make a sound. I still laugh at that ridiculousness.

Always go bold.

my gripe with theatre going is no one knows how to act.

That is why you don't go on weekends. I never do. I only go on weekdays but the summer kind of hurts that plan a bit cause everyone is out of school. But the weekend crowds are awful

I am extremely thankful my little town has a drive-in. They show 2 movies on Friday and Saturday, and on holiday weekends they show 3 movies on Friday, Sat, and Sun. The movies are also new releases. Next weekend they are showing Poltergeist and Mad Max. Just 7 dollars for adults and 3 dollars for kids 5-12. Concession stand is extremely reasonable with a large coke costing less than 3 dollars, and they serve real food like burgers and chicken sandwiches all for under 5 bucks. Great deal all around. Plus, they open the gates at around 7 so you can get there early and just hang out, throw a football or baseball around, picnic, or whatever. I love going there several times a summer.

Reactions: drawing_dead
The last time I went to a theater on my own dime... Hell I can't even remember. Has been at least three years. I was going to go to one yesterday, then I realized my local theater charges $9 for a showing before 6 pm. That's two months of Netflix since I let my dad use my account and we split the cost. F*** that. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that equals the value of an entire month of Netflix at full cost.

Back home there is a Cinemark that gets movies after the expensive theaters get them. I think a showing before 6 pm is only $1.50. Once in a while I'll go if I am back home but it's all the way on the other side of town so it's not worth hassle unless it's something I really want to see. And given my taste in movies, they rarely get those anyways.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I am extremely thankful my little town has a drive-in. They show 2 movies on Friday and Saturday, and on holiday weekends they show 3 movies on Friday, Sat, and Sun. The movies are also new releases. Next weekend they are showing Poltergeist and Mad Max. Just 7 dollars for adults and 3 dollars for kids 5-12. Concession stand is extremely reasonable with a large coke costing less than 3 dollars, and they serve real food like burgers and chicken sandwiches all for under 5 bucks. Great deal all around. Plus, they open the gates at around 7 so you can get there early and just hang out, throw a football or baseball around, picnic, or whatever. I love going there several times a summer.
My local drive-in was the same way unfortunately it closed down when everything changed to digital format.

^^ Unfortunately, ours may close down due to a Wal-Mart possibly being built near it. There is a pretty large movement to save the drive-in, but I am not sure that it is going to get the job done.

I don't like being in cramped/crowded places to begin with, so Hollywood's awful prices make it an easy decision to stay home. Even a beginner home theater enthusiast can set up a pretty sweet theater system. Plus you can do the popcorn trick right from your couch. Isn't that what every man and ex-sorority girl want out of life?

Not to mention, there's not a better feeling in the world than downloading a almost brand-new movie at 2mbs/second for free. Knowing that my money isn't going to that cesspool makes me quite happy.

Marshal Co?

Ok, I admit, I don't actually go to the movies at the theater very often, been quite a while since I have actually. I'm content to wait for most movies to come out on Netflix or whatever. But it was my sons birthday and he wanted to see Poltergeist, so we went.

Now I get the price of the tickets, I know those are what they are. And I know the food has always been overly pricey, but seriously...$20.25 for a large popcorn and two drinks? (and the menu actually said "save .75 cents")

How is that justified? Amusement parks don't even charge that much. I pay .85 cents for a large tea at Circle K. Gas stations use soft drinks as loss leaders, they will basically give the drinks away to get you into the store to buy more stuff on impulse. but still. that price (which is similar at most convenience stores these days) goes to prove that the cost of the beverages to the reseller is miniscule. How in the world can a theater justify what equates to about 1000% markup. fortunately I have the fortitude to make it through a movie without the need to stuff my face.

Ok, that's my rant for the day, I will continue my reluctance to go to the movie theater.

Actually Circle K and the likes make a killing on fountain drinks. The syrup and Co2 cost very little and they get hundreds of drinks out of one pouch of syrup. I think they make 200% -300% profit on one container of syrup or something like that. Gas is where they lure you in, and lotto tickets. Learn profit items for a conv stores.

It's a rarity that I'll pay big bucks for a movie theater ticket, but there are some that I can't resist, as they simply must be seen on the big screen. Jurassic World is going to get my money, even though it seems like they've shown half of the movie in the previews... but I still want to see the largest available image of those dinosaurs.

It's a rarity that I'll pay big bucks for a movie theater ticket, but there are some that I can't resist, as they simply must be seen on the big screen. Jurassic World is going to get my money, even though it seems like they've shown half of the movie in the previews... but I still want to see the largest available image of those dinosaurs.

Chris Pratt rides a T-Rex

Cinemark has a great deal you can get a refillable cup for $7.00 and pay $3.50 for each refill for the entire year.

I generally only go to theater for 'big' movies, i.e. action flicks, outdoor scenery, etc. that really looks good on the big screen. Can't remember the last time I bought any concessions. Maybe 10-15 years ago. Always laugh at the fatties with the garbage can full of popcorn drenched in a quart of melted butter. Bet that's a 96-ounce Diet Coke, too. And they probably wonder why they can't lose weight.

Cinemark has a great deal you can get a refillable cup for $7.00 and pay $3.50 for each refill for the entire year.
Do you keep it in a special spot in the house between toting it to the movies to save $3.50?

The whole deal is a scam.

ADVERTISEMENT