ADVERTISEMENT

Week in Colorado

A

anon_aawvduncd4ay0

Wife and I are planning to hit Colorado in August. Staying the first three nights in Denver, going to a Rapids game, booked whitewater rafting one day, and the third will be a brewery/downtown tour. Need some help from those familiar with other cities on next steps.

Had two nights booked in Boulder with plans to hike the flat irons and hit Rocky Mountain National Park. Everything I saw there looked really cool (hiking and downtown atmosphere). I have since had several people say to scratch Boulder and hit towns to the west like Breckenridge then on to Vail.

We are active, will hike/explore during the day and hit the bars/breweries/downtown scene at night. Thoughts on what would be the best plan?

Haven't been in a while (years), but Boulder was all right. I went in the winter, hung around a bit after skiing, did a little bar hop. It's hard to go wrong outdoors in that state.

Staying in downtown Denver 3 nights is probably a little long. Maybe cut it to two nights and explore somewhere another day/night. Boulder is a lot of fun. Not sure of your age, but the kids will be coming back mid to late August. Tons of bars and off the beaten path breweries you would not know of otherwise. You are also close to Flat Irons and RMNP. Breckenridge and Vail are also must destinations so maybe visit one of those during the day and stay the night in the other one and erase that 3rd night in Denver. Make sure to take back roads from Boulder to Breckenridge/Vail. I70 just doesn't do the state justice.

Lots of breweries in Ft Collins as well if you have the time. 45 mins N on I25. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is very cool and you can stop and see Red Rocks Amp. Very cool back road from Colorado Springs into Breckenridge.

After typing this, spend one night in Denver and explore elsewhere. My bro just moved from there after 10 yrs so not as many long weekend guys trips. Jealous.

Forgot....in Denver (Cherry Creek area) eat at Bull and Bush Brewery. Man Beer won last two awards...beer from Pappy barrels. Preston V told me about this and it was great.

Noted the 420 options :pimp:

Thanks for the feedback Banker. Maybe need to adjust the Denver stretch to a day.

Red Rocks was amazing. Steamboat springs is amazing. Pretty much Colorado period is awesome. If you like outdoors and hiking probably best to go back several times, one of the favorite states I've ever visited.

Reactions: anon_aawvduncd4ay0
Colorado is pretty amazing. 3 nights is not enough time there!
We went there last Sept. Flew into Denver, then drove down to Great Sand Dunes National Park, where you can climb these giant dunes and then sled down them. Went on to Durango, where we took an old steam engine train to an awesome all-day zip line course (26 lines). Drove up the Million-Dollar highway (most dangerous road in the US) to Silverton & then Telluride. Did a 4-wheeler mountain tour in Silverton. We also hiked to some waterfalls at places. I think you could easily spend 2 weeks in Colorado & not get bored or see/do everything you want to see/do.

We went there last Sept. Flew into Denver, then drove down to Great Sand Dunes National Park, where you can climb these giant dunes and then sled down them. Went on to Durango, where we took an old steam engine train to an awesome all-day zip line course (26 lines). Drove up the Million-Dollar highway (most dangerous road in the US) to Silverton & then Telluride. Did a 4-wheeler mountain tour in Silverton. We also hiked to some waterfalls at places. I think you could easily spend 2 weeks in Colorado & not get bored or see/do everything you want to see/do.

I spent last week in Colorado. Just drove right through Denver without stopping (had already been there a few times before). Spent the whole time just driving in the Rockies - the most beautiful place in the USA, IMO. Went on the Million Dollar highway. The wife started out driving but kept driving slower and slower and finally just stopped in the middle of the road and made me take over. I loved the drive but she says "never again."

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Speaking of the Million Dollar highway...

redmtnpass.jpg

I spent last week in Colorado. Just drove right through Denver without stopping (had already been there a few times before). Spent the whole time just driving in the Rockies - the most beautiful place in the USA, IMO. Went on the Million Dollar highway. The wife started out driving but kept driving slower and slower and finally just stopped in the middle of the road and made me take over. I loved the drive but she says "never again."

Yes, my wife screamed when (while I was driving) I tried to point out a place where the 1' shoulder had broken/fallen away. "Just watch the road" she said. Isn't the shoulder part of the road.

if going to SW CO, I'd spend a day at Mesa Verde NP & climb thru its ancient pueblos in the sides of mountains. US 24 out of COS west is great as is CO 9 off 24 over Hoosier Pass into Breck is beautiful. Breck is a very nice town. Frisco is small. Vail is fake. Aspen over the top. Steamboat has hot springs for getting naked. yes, a week is hardly enough.

Spent the whole time just driving in the Rockies - the most beautiful place in the USA, IMO.
Most all of the mountain west is great. Me, I'd take Utah but avoid discussing religion & stock up on alcohol by 6pm Saturday.

Meh, weed is no fun since it's legal these days. I hear the crystal meth is good. Truckers recommend Colorado Crank.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I'll throw out a vote for Durango/Silverton area. One of my favorite places on the planet. Though, it is likely you won't have much time to get down there.

Denver is a fun city. Love living here. You should enjoy the Rapids match. I'll possibly be there as well.

If the Rockies are in town I'd suggest going to a game, the ballpark is awesome. They just built the 'rooftop' which is standing room only in the upper deck of LF and tickets are pretty cheap. It's a big open area with multiple bars over looking the city and mountains. Something like $16 for the ticket comes with a $5 voucher at the bar. Red rocks amphitheater is another cool place to visit. Completely free, just drive up there get out and take a walk around, there is a small museum you can visit as well.

The 16th street mall is downtown. Here you will find Shops, breweries, restaurant chains and such. Illegal Petes, DP doughs, and masterpiece deli are some of my favorite local lunch spots if you're not looking for a chain. All are in downtown or within 5 minutes of downtown.
If you're here on a Thursday id suggest going down to civic center park for lunch. There will be over 20 food trucks lined up one after the other and is some of the best food I've ever had.

Pikes peak and Mount Evans are fun places to visit, but if you have to choose Breckinridge and Vail are must see.

There is a lot to do. You def won't have enough time, but I know You will have a good time.

The gonja is cheaper here also. A very smokers friendly place. Haha

Reactions: anon_aawvduncd4ay0
Breckenridge is a cool town but I have only been there during the winter for snow skiing, snow mobile excursions and the ice sculpture festival. There are some cool restaurants and bars though...Hearthstone, Breckenridge Brewery, Briar Rose Chophouse & Saloon, Giamprianto's (sp?) to name a few.

ADVERTISEMENT