ADVERTISEMENT

Web Dev Work in Kentucky?

Nov 11, 2014
Anyone here a developer? I've been gone from Louisville living around the country on both coasts for a number of years.

What kind of money can a Front End developer make in Kentucky? HTML/Javascript/JQuery/CSS/PHP/Python/ skills.

Thanks for any info....

Anyone here a developer? I've been gone from Louisville living around the country on both coasts for a number of years.

What kind of money can a Front End developer make in Kentucky? HTML/Javascript/JQuery/CSS/PHP/Python/ skills.

Thanks for any info....
Many people go overseas like the Philippines were they can hire developers for 400.00 U.S. A month. In fact, you can find very well educated to do any kind of Internet work for a fraction of the cost it would be in USA.

Thanks for any info....

Are you back in Louisville now? Do you know angular?

Thanks. Surprised there's no developers here?
Former developer, but in Austin. Currently involved in SharePoint 2007/2013 on-prem and cloud. Previously worked Apache, PHP and MySQL on Linux and decent amounts of .NET + MS SQL.

Yep, Herrmdawg is your man for all things Web Dev back in the Bluegrass, but LadyCat may also know some web folks up that way.

Last edited:
BTW....if anyone has a background in Big Data technologies (MapReduce/Storm/Spark/Accumulo/etc) and is interested in possible work....please let me know.

Thanks for any info....
How do you guys learn this stuff? Where did you start? I would think having those skills would be great but I have no idea where one would begin to learn it?

I had to teach myself. When I went to school, the web didn't exist. Also taught myself object oriented programming. It was just getting off the ground and not taught at the time. It helps a lot to have some programming skills to start with though.

There are all kinds of tutorials on-line if you want to try this approach. I can't recommend a specific site, but I would start with HTML and CSS, then learn Javascript (definitely learn JQuery) and a server-side language like PHP. There are many technologies and frameworks, but you can't learn them all at once. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a software 'engineer ' . I just don't live in Kentucky anymore.

Good luck with your search. Market is white hot here in Florida.

Lynda.com is an excellent site to learn from. It has video courses for anything you can think of programming related. It's not free (there is a free trial), but it's a monthly fee, but basically you can get it for a month or two and catch up on everything you need to get started. Of course, there's plenty of free stuff out there, but lynda is a great resource with everything in one place.

^^ Lynda is very good. LinkedIn purchased the company a few months ago.

Codecademy has great free offerings and nicely structured. Aside from the basics (HTML/CSS/JavaScript), one also finds PHP, Python and Ruby.

^^ Lynda is very good. LinkedIn purchased the company a few months ago.

Codecademy has great free offerings and nicely structured. Aside from the basics (HTML/CSS/JavaScript), one also finds PHP, Python and Ruby.
Thanks for the responses guys. Ive been in IT for 20 years but the only programming skills Ive been able to gather up are just things Ive picked up by editing existing stuff to suit my own needs over the years. ive always wanted to get a greater understanding of some of this stuff. Much apprecited.

My brother owns a company, he did/does coachcal.com, among other things.

ADVERTISEMENT