ADVERTISEMENT

We still have 5 Five Star All Americans

plus a four start who should be a 5 star also. Don't count us out.

HIGH SCHOOL all-americans. Big difference. That means nothing in regards to Poythress and Lee considering we have seen them perform at the college level and they are far removed from high school. Poythress certainly hasn't lived up to that status and Lee will finally get his chance...but that fact that they were high school all-americans means nothing at this point.

Reactions: brianpoe
Would liked to have a couple more 5 stars, but coach Cal will still put a great team out there, we still have more 5 stars than most team..

Half of our roster is filled with role players, including some of those same high school All-Americans.

Should be interesting. I think we'll be fine. Jaylen would have shored up some major issues and made Kentucky the favorite, but we'll make a good run of it again. Hopefully Cal loads up on the class of '16.

HIGH SCHOOL all-americans. Big difference. That means nothing in regards to Poythress and Lee considering we have seen them perform at the college level and they are far removed from high school. Poythress certainly hasn't lived up to that status and Lee will finally get his chance...but that fact that they were high school all-americans means nothing at this point.

Where would we have beenin 13-14 if it wasn't for lee and poythress, where would we have been this yr without lee. Way too early to count these guys out.

Just praying Cal doesn't try to play Poythress at the three, but I have a feeling thats exactly what he's going to do and its simply not going to work. I know I know "Cal is the coach he knows more than you Cut-nets, blah blah". Cal is about the kids and getting them to the league. Winning games and titles be damned, he's trying to get them to the league. If he thinks Poythress' NBA stock will be better served at the 3, he's going to play them there even if he dribbles the ball off his foot 5 times a game all season long. Book it.

Reactions: madison1329
Where would we have beenin 13-14 if it wasn't for lee and poythress, where would we have been this yr without lee. Way too early to count these guys out.

Where would we have been this year without Lee? Not sure, seems like he got this quickest hook of anyone on the team.

Labissiere, Briscoe, Ulis, and Poythress will all be double digit scorers next season.

Mulder, Matthews, and Lee will be role players filling critical roles.

Back in the Tubby/BCG years we would be jumping for joy that we had this kind of talent.

I think Cal does his best work when his backs against the wall. Look at 2010-2011 for example. He played 6 guys almost exclusively (with Vargas playing mop up minutes). Our entire front line basically consisted of Harresllson(6-10), Jones(6-8), and Miller (6-7). Our backcourt consited of Knight (6-3), Lamb (6-4), and Liggins (6-6). 4 - 5-stars (4 McDonald's All-American's) a 4-star, and a 3-star.

2015-2016 will have a frontcourt of Skal (7-0), Poythress (6-8), Lee (6-9), and Willis (6-8). We will have a backcourt of Ulis (5-9), Briscoe (6-4), Mulder (6-4), and Matthews (6-5). Five 5-stars (four McDonald's All-American's), and three 4-stars. So, technically on paper, this seasons team is already more talented than 2010-2011 was, and I feel Cal will play 7 to 8 guys consistently on this team as opposed to 6 guys for that year.

The 10-11 team had some bumps, but finished the regular season at 22-8, won the SEC tourney championship, was a 4-seed in the NCAA-T and beat the overall #1 seed in Ohio State enroute to the Final Four, and was a missed three-pointer away from playing for the National Championship - finishing the season at 29-9. There's no reason to think this squad couldn't accomplish the same thing.

I think Cal does his best work when his backs against the wall. Look at 2010-2011 for example. He played 6 guys almost exclusively (with Vargas playing mop up minutes). Our entire front line basically consisted of Harresllson(6-10), Jones(6-8), and Miller (6-7). Our backcourt consited of Knight (6-3), Lamb (6-4), and Liggins (6-6). 4 - 5-stars (4 McDonald's All-American's) a 4-star, and a 3-star.

2015-2016 will have a frontcourt of Skal (7-0), Poythress (6-8), Lee (6-9), and Willis (6-8). We will have a backcourt of Ulis (5-9), Briscoe (6-4), Mulder (6-4), and Matthews (6-5). Five 5-stars (four McDonald's All-American's), and three 4-stars. So, technically on paper, this seasons team is already more talented than 2010-2011 was, and I feel Cal will play 7 to 8 guys consistently on this team as opposed to 6 guys for that year.

The 10-11 team had some bumps, but finished the regular season at 22-8, won the SEC tourney championship, was a 4-seed in the NCAA-T and beat the overall #1 seed in Ohio State enroute to the Final Four, and was a missed three-pointer away from playing for the National Championship - finishing the season at 29-9. There's no reason to think this squad couldn't accomplish the same thing.

Best take on the current team status I have read in all the hundreds of posts thus far. We will be fine, we have more depth than most think, still have length, and have some shooters, Matthews, Mulder, Skal, Willis, and will not have to worry about the 'Platoon' system, which did at times kill offensive flow.

Half of our roster is filled with role players, including some of those same high school All-Americans.

Should be interesting. I think we'll be fine. Jaylen would have shored up some major issues and made Kentucky the favorite, but we'll make a good run of it again. Hopefully Cal loads up on the class of '16.

Would not consider Skal, Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress or Lee roles players. That leaves Matthews, Mulder, Willis, and Hawkins. 3 out of 4 of those guys would see significant PT on most division one programs outside of maybe dook, Kansas, Arizona, and UNC.

Isn't that the case with Cal every year nearly? The game UK played in the championship and lost there were 5 freshmen starters, meaning previous year they were high school stars

We are relying on the NCAA granting Skal eligibility and Poythress' repaired ACL.

Keep in mind that this time last year, many of us had hopes that we could MAYBE be talented enough for 40-0. We only felt that way because of 9 MCDAA's and just as many 5-star kids.

Now, no one is even bothering to think about 40-0. I will never think about it again until after Selection Sunday and still undefeated. Do we need more than five 5* players to go undefeated? Absolutely. But we have more than enough talent to go 28-6, grab a #2 seed, and still have a fairly easy path to the Final4.

Would not consider Skal, Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress or Lee roles players. That leaves Matthews, Mulder, Willis, and Hawkins. 3 out of 4 of those guys would see significant PT on most division one programs outside of maybe dook, Kansas, Arizona, and UNC.

I don't think playing time is the only consideration for a role player. Role players start a lot, good glue guys who fill a role, not a primary scorer, rebounder, etc. Lee has fit that role, as has Poy. Hopefully not this year.

We are relying on the NCAA granting Skal eligibility and Poythress' repaired ACL.

There's nothing to "grant" and this is nothing like the Kanter situation. They would have to "take it away" in this case.

This is probably true. However, fans react to recruiting as if UK is entitled to 5 star recruits. If those recruit choose other schools it is because they either were influenced by people who have agendas, or because they can't handle the UK spotlight.

Poy and Lee are role players. Theres nothing wrong with that.

It just hurts a little when the team lacks more than 2 go-to options.

ADVERTISEMENT