ADVERTISEMENT

We Laugh at Candy Stripes; IU Players Wear Them to Weddings

Karl Towns scored 17 second half points with Kentucky on his back last night in the comeback win at Georgia, furthering the argument that he should be selected over Jahlil Okafor in the NBA draft. It was a huge game for Towns, a freshman playing on the road in front of an electric Bulldog crowd on Super Tuesday.

So how did Karl celebrate his big night, you ask?

By walking to his 9:00 am class this morning. On very little sleep. In the rain.

UK's game ended around 9hrs ago in Athens. It's pouring rain in Lex and just saw KAT walking to class. But we're ruining college basketball.

— Evan Crane (@EvanCraneKy) March 4, 2015

Jay Bilas had fun with Evan Crane’s tweet that’s being shared around the internet:

@EvanCraneKy Wait, he WALKED to class?! No limo? No rope line and red carpet? He's ruining the narrative! Bummer.

— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) March 4, 2015

Towns shouldn’t be rewarded for attending class, after all, that’s why kids go to college. Of course he goes to class. But sometimes it’s easy for us, the fans, to forget just what these kids go through as Kentucky basketball players. It’s a grind. There is so much on their plate. One minute you’re playing in front of the entire nation on ESPN, few hours later, you’re up walking across campus with an umbrella that covers half of a shoulder to hand in a paper in the pouring rain.

+1. Excellent. Hope you guys are not under the impression that academic achievement is limited to some programs and not others. I have repeatedly cited Poythress as a positive example. My strong preference is for college athletes that are responsible students with a college degree in their minds.I understand the current realities, but that's what I prefer; both for the protection and maturation of many of those players, and to keep college athletes in college basketball.

Last edited:
Why would we be under that impression? Maybe it is because a lot of media including your former coach suggest our kids only go to school for 1 semester.

+1. Excellent. Hope you guys are not under the impression that academic achievement is limited to some programs and not others. I have repeatedly cited Poythress as a positive example. My strong preference is for college athletes that are responsible students with a college degree in their minds.I understand the current realities, but that's what I prefer; both for the protection and maturation of many of those players, and to keep college athletes in college basketball.
Who cares what your smug, condescending azz thinks? You're nobody. You're under the elitist impression that whatever these kids do must have your seal of approval. The real problem with you as it is with all Indiana fans is jealousy.

Who cares what your smug, condescending azz thinks? You're nobody. You're under the elitist impression that whatever these kids do must have your seal of approval. The real problem with you as it is with all Indiana fans is jealousy.

Good times!

I became that way after repeatedly watching this video:

HoosierfanJM, I think you are delusional if you believe hardly any projected lottery/top ten players elect to come back to school because they are more concerned with academics. If that were the case, why didn't Cody stay until he graduated?

Usually it's about projected draft position or an injury. JMO.

I think that IU is a lock to make the tourney this year, they may even win a game. Got to give Creen an extension!!!

This thread reeks of Hoosier envy and jealousy God I love it. Go Crean your doing an awesome job baby keep it up.

I hope this myopic coping mechanism is a thing around that fanbase. Was getting worried they were going to make some changes.

They reach sweet sixteen again hell they might offer him a lifetime contract!! Lolz!!

I think that IU is a lock to make the tourney this year, they may even win a game. Got to give Creen an extension!!!

Thank God we never pursued Crean.

This thread reeks of Hoosier envy and jealousy God I love it. Go Crean your doing an awesome job baby keep it up.

I hope this myopic coping mechanism is a thing around that fanbase. Was getting worried they were going to make some changes.

They reach sweet sixteen again hell they might offer him a lifetime contract!! Lolz!!

A red herring would be using an extreme example (A.Walker) to make a judgmental prediction on a guy (Wall) you know nothing about..

But again, I celebrate this "doing it the right way" myopia. Good for anyone that hates IU and wants to see them stay (at best) mediocre.

Wall is headed for a $200+m career plus endorsements. Stars are going to make insane money with the new agreement.

Zeller will be lucky to hit $50m and people might pay him not to wear their stuff. He is the kind of player like Ridnour this week that has been traded 4 times. Filler. Will be lucky to get a MLE most years.

Moronic to speculate he will have more money at the end.

If IU could get the talent UK gets all their fans would be @$$ jacking them selves to death while wacthing Clappy kissing boyz videos!! LOLZ!

A red herring would be using an extreme example (A.Walker) to make a judgmental prediction on a guy (Wall) you know nothing about..

Actually, that would be hyperbole.

The post above this one about "@$$ jacking them selves to death while watching Clappy kissing boyz videos" is a much better example of a red herring, albiet in my opinion a really immature and kinda nasty one. Just sayin'.

Anyway, it seems that this thread has lost any semblance of debate about any issues of substance, so I will leave the thread to those who want to get any last personal insults in.

Have a happy, safe 4th of July. We'll all (IU fans, UK fans, Tom Crean, John Calipari...everyone!) be rooting together for the US World Cup team this Sunday!!

Last edited:
School will always be there. Your athleticism will not. It's as simple as that.

It's more of a "changing of the times" that has people's panties in a wad.

i bet clappy tailored the player's suits, ensuring of course they recorded the proper measurements.

Taunts from rival fans about our OADs and the value of staying in school four years to attain a college degree have simply lost all their bite. I would venture to say that every person on this forum knows a recent college graduate who's working as a barista at Starbuck's, waiting tables at O'Charley's, or stocking shelves at Target. To be clear, I'm not taking a swipe at those kinds of jobs. I'm simply saying the model of college degree = "better life" has run its course. This is 2015. Not 1915.

The broad picture:

(MoneyWatch) Did you hear about the professional athlete who just declared bankruptcy? Of course you have. Because when it comes to professional athletes and money, we tend to only hear about how large their new contract is worth or how much they just lost -- and unfortunately there is no shortage of examples of the latter. A Sports Illustrated article reports the grim statistics -- 78 percent of NFL players face bankruptcy or serious financial stress within just two years of leaving the game and 60 percent of NBA players face the same dire results in five years.

And...for some empirical UK-centered evidence, the Antoine Walker story:

Which player do YOU think is more likely to be a multi-millionaire at 50; the Academic All-American business major with tens of millions in earnings, or the guy with a gaggle of neighborhood friends:

John had posted a photo of his crew on the way to Vegas on May 22nd ... though it's unclear if the same guys were involved in the incident on the flight home.
0528-john-wall-instagram-6.jpg
hanging by his side who has earned a fair bit more?

I'm completely serious, and anyone with a well-versed financial background would agree.
Man I was with you up until this point. You were taking the high road before this post.

And don't give me the "just being pragmatic" line.

First of all, there's a difference between having a rowdy friend who gets into trouble when the opportunity presents itself (most do) and having such a big, unchecked entourage and such a loose grip on your finances that you start leaking 8 figures a year like Walker or Sprewell.

And second, there's also a difference between players like those mentioned above and a potential future HOFer like Wall, who will make much more money in his life.

ADVERTISEMENT