ADVERTISEMENT

We Laugh at Candy Stripes; IU Players Wear Them to Weddings

The Bobby Knight brainwashing is strong with this one.....it's basically you "must graduate or you will be a total failure in life" with you.

As for the UK players that have left early and are currently in the NBA, yes, they need to be smart with their $$, manage it wisely. That is a decision EVERYONE has to make, college graduate or not.

Jamaal Mashburn left early....and is doing very well for himself as a businessman in his life after the NBA. There are both good and bad examples. IU fans like you that continue to keep harping on the effect of being in college for 4 years vs OAD players.... only exists because your coach can't land those kind of recruits.

No guarantees, but it is overwhelmingly likely that by age 50, Cody Zeller will have the higher net worth.

Gets turned into:

it's basically you "must graduate or you will be a total failure in life" with you.

Let me put it this way: Who has the better chance of holding on to their net worth, and of succeeding in their post-basketball life: Alex Poythress or lotto pick Noah Vonleh?

No crystal ball and no guarantees, but I betcha it's Poythress. And I would keep that thought even if Poythress' knee never gets back to full health.

Last edited:
Hoosier Fan I understand what you are trying to say. I can tell you are proud of your MBA business degree thinking, however, it is also true that Indiana basketball has been irrevelant for over a decade. I have family and friends in Indiana, many have Kentucky roots from 50 years ago - many became big IU fans and thought Bobby Knight could walk on water. But think about the last two decades including Bobby Knight's last decade as Coach - what has Indiana basketball accomplished on the court? I and many other college fans do feel for many Indiana fans - we sure went thru a similar period in the waning years of Tubby and the short period of Billy G. It so hard to fanthom that IU has put up with this poor showing. It is also very hard for all the MBA Business guys like you talk about to allow such a product to be put out representing IU all these years.

If you wish to discuss business degrees that is great. But also don't start comparing Kentucky's professional's failures in sports and saying they are all going to be that way. You show a person from Chicago we all know about who failed miserably managing his money. We know that many of the athletes fail - but you fail to mention is how many of the "modern" last 15 years have failed and how many of John Calipari's players have failed. You see, it is much like public schools in general today - most schooling doesn't include how to balance a check book, how to compare insurance policies, how to know how much house you can afford, etc., etc, etc. Is that a college failing - or is that public education and parents failing?

The basketball players at Kentucky are also instructed in public relations, speaking and how to handle their money for the future. Not everyone passes every course, but if you will study what has and is happening at Kentucky, who you want to throw rocks at, you find that a very strong attempt is made to "educate" the players to be good citizen's and pay back from their enormous earnings. Why don't you compare how much John Calipari's players have donated back to their home communities, their pro home communities and to the University of Kentucky. Then compare that to your Indiana Hoosier Alumni. I think you will find you will have to be very humbled.

It's a shame that many, many IU basketball fans are very bitter about other basketball programs and UK in particular. I understand their pride of a once great and proud program. Now it is only a proud program - it is definitely not a great program. Just think about all the Basketball programs that have blown by IU. You think I am just poking fun? Who's program is currently better - Wichita State or IU? Arizona or IU? Wisconsin or IU? Florida or IU? VCU or IU? Villanova or IU? Virginia or IU? Gonzaga or IU? Oklahoma or IU? San Diego State or IU? These are just some programs that immediately come to mind. IU's fans deserve a basketball program that competes.

I have family in friends at Tennessee, they have made my life miserable about our football program. I love UK and attended UK. I want UK to be competitive in both basketball and football as well as anything else we field a team in. We have endured the pain of losing and looking incompetent in football for much longer than IU has in basketball. Tennessee has fallen on some hard times recently as well - just like IU has in basketball, but they appear to be building another "powerful" program. It is easy for them - they have the biggest and baddest of everything in that sport. Fortunately for UK, we have decided we wish to participate in football again too! It is much harder and it takes much longer to build a competitive football program - but UK is well on its way - finally!

Again can you say that about IU basketball? In reality what has Tom Crean ever done as a basketball coach? He had one good year led by a basketball star named Dwayne Wade. Eliminate the Wade year's and what has he really accomplished? A sweet sixteen run and a very early in the season home biased buzzer beater win over UK. I give you those points - now provide some other proof he has done well and is a good choice? IU is being laughed at by it's decisions in basketball. Bobby Knight in his prime, love him or hate him, was a great basketball Coach - but since then IU has not found the guy. But you want find the guy when your MBA guys gives a very mediocre coach a "guaranteed" buyout that is huge in comparison to your future Cody Zeller earnings you are convinced of.

Hoosier Fan, I understand your defending your program, but going after Kentucky is wrong way to show your pride. It runs very natural in Indiana, as again, I have many friends and that is all they do is throw this stuff around. You guys need to be taking your venom and depression out on the IU adminstration. If you attacked them with as much vigor as you do UK on these sports boards you might get a good coach to come to Indiana and build it back. Personally we hope you guys concentrate on UK, let us and unfortunately UL take your state's best basketball players because they want to play for coaches like Calipari and Pitino. They want to play for almost anyone else but Tom Crean. While you preach to us look at your program in detail. How many players has Crean recruited to Indiana that have left the program for some mysterious reason before they graduate? It may surprise you find out you have as many one and done players as Kentucky has!

Take the time to chew on the facts I have mentioned above. I may get hammered by a lot of Kentucky fans, but we on these boards think we have a lot more power than we do. We want IU to focus on jealousy and not on improving their situation. We will always get the last laugh! IU can live in the past and enjoy their history - but it isn't helping them now - IU's basketball history is now almost as ancient as the once powerful Greeks!

Go Big Blue!
The question becomes why do IU fans feel the need to bash UK and it's fans? Can you imagine any of the fans of the teams mentioned in your post who have surpassed IU coming on here and spouting the nonsense that IU fans do?

Put all of their lifetime salaries together and they won't equal one year of John Wall's salary. Stick that in your candy striped pipe and smoke it.

Um Oladipo and Zeller's salary in 14 alone is more than Walls 14 salary, let alone their lifetime contracts along with the other 4 playing in Europe.

Zeller-3,875,000
Oladipo-4,980,000
Wall-7,460,000

But you know don't let facts get in the way of a weak flame.

All the IU players stay for four years, unless they are kicked off for a better player, or get a bunch of dui's, or the handful who were good enough to leave after 1 or 2 years. You think Blackman will see his Junior year? The ones who stay for 4 years might be hoping for the chance to win an NCAA tourney game. You've won what four in the last decade?
IU is a joke. Butler is the best program in that state. Good luck with Crean! Give the man an extention!.

So if you are not racist then you are just an education snob who thinks only educated people can manage money?

"If you are not a racist"?

Not sure how that thought was formed. Is it because I said that Zeller (and Poythress's) education gives them a huge leg up over guys like Wall (and Vonleh)? Okay. ..sigh.

"then you are just an education snob who thinks only educated people can manage money"

Never said ONLY educated people can manage money, but if your point is that uneducated people manage money just as well as educated people...sigh

Then where are you getting your assumptions that one guy will be able to keep his money more than another. You don't know any of these guys on a personal level and are therefore stereotyping.

Not sure how that thought was formed. Is it because I said that Zeller (and Poythress's) education gives them a huge leg up over guys like Wall (and Vonleh)? Okay. ..sigh.

"then you are just an education snob who thinks only educated people can manage money"

Never said ONLY educated people can manage money, but if your point is that uneducated people manage money just as well as educated people...sigh
You're assumming that Wall is uneducated, he's been working on his degree every summer since he left, but for some reason you assumed he was uneducated, why is that? The link is from 2011 ,but it's been well documented that he has been taking classes every summer.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-a-class-act/2011/08/17/gIQALeEGLJ_story.html

Having lived in Indiana for 14 years before I held onto enough of my money to enable me to move back to Kentucky, April 1, 1996:cool2:..... I'm enjoying this shit!

I don't think this is really who you are HoosierJM, so I'm put this politely: There are overtones to a statement like "odds are a guy like Zeller will hold onto his millions..." that you probably want to avoid.

You know nothing about John Wall, or Anthony Davis, or Karl Towns, or any of the other couple dozen multi-millionaires Kentucky has minted in the past few years. But we do, from closely following them and listening to their interviews, and seeing how they handle themselves. They are high quality men. If someone out of the universe of Kentucky and Indiana basketball players transcends sports and becomes a major after-career success, I'd put my money on it being a UK player, not Zeller.

I consider myself a fan of student athletes (and I absolutely enjoy the give and take with acerbic, smart posters like you).

My basic premise is NOT that any of these kids are in any way lesser quailty human beings! It is just that kids that purport to be student athletes but leave really, really early are a knee injury away from not being especially prepared to deal with life's difficulties, no matter how rich they are at 20-25 years old.

I like Noah Vonleh - seems like a nice kid. I like Anthony Davis. Seems like a nice kid and is a top five NBA player (and, not that he will, but he's got so much money coming it'd be impossible to lose/give it away even if he tried!).

However, I have more admiration for young men like Poythress, Zeller, Oladipo, etc...high level players that put in the extended time in the classroom, and left for NBA riches after maturing a bit and forming lifelong, extended bonds with their teammates and their university. Hence this thread. I think that I've been consistent with this point of view in this thread. My opinion only, but I'm comfortable with it.

Is that a reasonable?

You're assumming that Wall is uneducated, he's been working on his degree every summer since he left, but for some reason you assumed he was uneducated, why is that? The link is from 2011 ,but it's been well documented that he has been taking classes every summer.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-a-class-act/2011/08/17/gIQALeEGLJ_story.html

That would be impressive (and rare).

I Googled it and only found that he was considering taking online classes through UK during the 2011 NBA lockout. Did he actually start coming back every summer and has he obtained his degree?

I'd like to see the link to that story. Definitely would be a serving of crow for me.

Last edited:
Peter Jurkin is the only hoosier I've ever heard of and I dont even know what he looks like ? Did he get hitched ?

I suppose it is a reasonable opinion, but I think it is outdated. I went to college for four years a long time ago, on a basketball scholarship, albeit several rungs down the ladder from UK (or even IU.) Guys like Karl Towns and Anthony Davis are more poised and media savvy and ready to deal with the NBA and the demands of being a millionaire after one year than I would have been after four, had I been remotely talented enough. That's part of the package that Kentucky offers these kids -- they have access to communications coaches and sports psychologists and a wide array of other opportunities to prepare for what lies ahead.

I had that four years of comaraderie and building bonds with teammates and wearing the school colors. If I had had a chance to leave after the first year and make as much money by age 25 as I've made in decades of hard work, would I do it? Hell yes. Whatever ambitions I've been lucky enough to realize I'm confident could have more easily been reached starting at 25 as a retired NBA player with a cushion of ten million dollars.

Well stated. I agree with everything you said factually, but not with the conclusion that many (though not all) of these kids should leave school so very, very early. Towns and Cousins? Should have gone straight to the NBA. Many other OADs? Nope.

.........................However, I have more admiration for young men like Poythress, Zeller, Oladipo, etc...high level players that put in the extended time in the classroom, and left for NBA riches after maturing a bit and forming lifelong, extended bonds with their teammates and their university.

This SO reminds me of Kansas fans (and even Duke fans) just a few short years ago..............before Self (and K) adjusted his recruiting philosophy. [eyeroll]

Also, I love the insinuation that UK guys don't form "life-long, extended bonds" with their teammates and university. Tell Demarcus, Eric, and John that. Or Anthony and MKG. Check out Cousins's in-ground pool in his back yard with a giant UK logo on the bottom. Read their tweets sometime during our season and during the tourney. Pay attention when they come back to UK in the summer to do camps or play pick-up games, or to be the "Y" at a home game when their schedule allows.

That is patent nonsense.

Don't you guys think that Alex Poythress has a far, far greater chance of getting ahead AND STAYING AHEAD in life than John Wall?

Poythress/Oladipo/Zeller = much more likely success.

Take off the blue glasses and tell the truth.

What a bunch of BS. You know nothing of any of these players situations to speak definitively as to who is or who isn't most likely to keep their money. Staying in college 3 or 4 years doesn't give you a monopoly on better decision making. There are plenty of people who have stayed in college for years who have lost everything. Your statement is nonsense.

"However, I have more admiration for young men like Poythress, Zeller, Oladipo, etc...high level players that put in the extended time in the classroom, and left for NBA riches after maturing a bit and forming lifelong, extended bonds with their teammates and their university."

....Good God, man....the Bobby Knight era is over.....time to lose this outdated mentality. Let it go, man.... if IU were to get a coach that was much better than Crean at bringing in top talent, it wouldn't take long for you to 'convert' to accepting that as the status quo. They're doing it at Duke, and to shield Coach K, the media says he's "adapted to the current college basketball landscape" ....that spin will be short-lived....it's too obvious as long as they keep recruiting and bringing in OAD's.

Um Oladipo and Zeller's salary in 14 alone is more than Walls 14 salary, let alone their lifetime contracts along with the other 4 playing in Europe.

Zeller-3,875,000
Oladipo-4,980,000
Wall-7,460,000

You are a moron. Why don't you include their endorsements and then get back with us Einstein.

Zeller-3,875,000
Oladipo-4,980,000
Wall-7,460,000

I also just checked Wall's salary for 2014/2015. He made $14,746,000. So don't let facts get in the way of your Hoosier ignorance. You probably majored in mathematics at IU.

Wall has A LOT of money right now.

Cody Zeller was the #4 overall draft pick and was a first team Academic All-American as a top ten b-school business major.
No guarantees, but it is overwhelmingly likely that by age 50, Cody Zeller will have the higher net worth.
I know now why Indiana is the meth capital of the United States. Put down the pipe.

In an environment where the discussion is generally about teams, coaches, players, recruiting, etc....a Who-sier comes in with a lame attempt to theorize as to who will have a higher net worth at age 50.

I guess if I was one of those poor saps, I wouldn't want to talk basketball either.

mythological-hero-achilles-inline.jpg

How many players has Crean run off to make room for the next IU success story? I would bet he has had more players leave than UK has had OAD's .

Them just look GAY! Those are atrocious!! LMMFAO they should put "1987" across te @$$ on those!

That is patent nonsense.

Don't you guys think that Alex Poythress has a far, far greater chance of getting ahead AND STAYING AHEAD in life than John Wall?

OK, I will bite. No, I think John Wall already has people taking care of his money. I hope Alex does well, but it is hard to overcome a $100 million dollar had start. Even if John spends $80 million of it - I think he will be ok. Invested by anyone with knowledge will provide him a million a year income from now on if he never makes another penny. When you have tens of millions you can private jet a lot!

Go Big Blue!

I guess you don't think much of Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Richard Branson. Last time I checked none of them graduated from college. I believe I even have heard them spousing going to college is not for everyone. Lols!

Actually to many people going to college has become a problem in the US - people are now paying small fortunes for college educations and then working at McDonald's. They could have gone to a trade school and be making a pretty nice living now. Not trying to be funny, I do have an economics degree. But I don't have the 100's of millions these athletes are getting paid! Color me jealous of them Lols!

Go Big Blue!

That is patent nonsense.

Judging by your posts, you seem likely to piss away all of your earnings as a career McDonald's cashier fairly quickly.

Not sure of what type of idiot thinks Poythress will earn a remote fraction of what Wall will earn while in the NBA. So, this notion that he is likely to get ahead and stay ahead is the outright Bobby Knight infused idiocy that you'd expect from a candy-striped moron.

Using that idiotic lack of logic, John Wall is more prone to get ahead and stay ahead than LeBron James and Kobe Bryant who never so much as stepped foot on a college campus.

The more I read these Hoosier fans posts, the more it reveals how far that program has fallen. It sounds like the things I'd have to resort to when arguing football with an Alabama fan.

you seem likely to piss away all of your earnings as a career McDonald's cashier fairly quickly.

Not sure of what type of idiot thinks....

outright Bobby Knight infused idiocy that you'd expect from a candy-striped moron.

idiotic lack of logic

Never said Poythress would earn more in the NBA than Wall.

Never said that lack of educational interest absolutely guarantees failure (per OP may have somehow derived that I think Bill Gates was destined to failure).

Please feel free to quote me in a place where I did so in this thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never said that a strong, sustained education absolutely guarantees success; just that it significantly increases the odds.

Sure as heck didn't go into a tirade of personal insults on any UK player or RR poster!
I know it's a UK site and I have to adhere to a higher standard of minding my Ps and Qs, but I am here stating that I am a big fan of the attitude and mindset of a guy like Poythress, far more so than a guy like IU OAD Vonleh.

Still waiting for the link to show the "well documented" fact that John Wall has been coming back to UK every year for summer school and working hard toward his degree. When I see that, I owe you all an apology.

Sheesh.

Last edited:
Ahh, the old "student athlete" myth. All schools sure are doing it the right way with "student athletes", except UK and their one and dones lol. IU in particular does it the right way cause... well... Bob Knight told players to go to class in the 80s or whatever. I doubt Cody Zeller earned/earns his grades like non IU basketball players do, so give it a rest. See how that works? Oh I forgot, he's a big, goofy white kid, so he's automatically intelligent and will live a better life than a UK star and NBA star like John Wall. You tell yourself things like that when your basketball program has been a joke for 20 years. Little things like that are what IU fans resort to. Just stop.

Anyway, those striped pants make those guys look like clowns. I'm sorry, but that's embarrassing ...and what's with the leaning in poses on the pictures or whatever? Just when I didn't think there was much left to laugh at when it comes to IU basketball...

You go to college to get a better job and make more money than the guy without one. I think John Wall has managed to do that in only 1 year of college whether or not he ever comes back.

I doubt Cody Zeller earned/earns his grades like non IU basketball players do, so give it a rest. See how that works? Oh I forgot, he's a big, goofy white kid, so he's automatically intelligent and will live a better life than a UK star and NBA star like John Wall. You tell yourself things like that when your basketball program has been a joke for 20 years. Little things like that are what IU fans resort to. Just stop.

Mar. 21, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, IND.
— It was 3• a.m. on a Wednesday in late February when Cody Zeller arrived at his apartment after a game at Minnesota.
There would be no sleeping in the next morning. Zeller, a first-team academic All-America, was sitting in his familiar seat in the fourth row of Tim Baldwin’s Managing and Behavior in Organizations class in the Kelley School of Business.
Such is life for Zeller, even though he stands to make millions in the NBA, perhaps as soon as this summer. For now, though, Zeller keeps the “student” in student-athlete as a business major with a 3.44 grade-point average.
On the court, he is a first-team All-Big Ten player, the Hoosiers’ leading scorer and rebounder going into Friday’s NCAA Tournament game in Dayton, Ohio. In the classroom, he’s also putting up big numbers against tough competition: K310-Statistical Techniques, L201-Legal Environment of Business and Baldwin’s 300-level class.
“He has missed one class this semester and that was because his team was flying to Penn State,” Baldwin said. “But academics is clearly a priority for Cody and it’s easy to see how much time he spends on his studies. He’s a terrific student.”

Karl Towns scored 17 second half points with Kentucky on his back last night in the comeback win at Georgia, furthering the argument that he should be selected over Jahlil Okafor in the NBA draft. It was a huge game for Towns, a freshman playing on the road in front of an electric Bulldog crowd on Super Tuesday.

So how did Karl celebrate his big night, you ask?

By walking to his 9:00 am class this morning. On very little sleep. In the rain.

UK's game ended around 9hrs ago in Athens. It's pouring rain in Lex and just saw KAT walking to class. But we're ruining college basketball.

— Evan Crane (@EvanCraneKy) March 4, 2015

Jay Bilas had fun with Evan Crane’s tweet that’s being shared around the internet:

@EvanCraneKy Wait, he WALKED to class?! No limo? No rope line and red carpet? He's ruining the narrative! Bummer.

— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) March 4, 2015

Towns shouldn’t be rewarded for attending class, after all, that’s why kids go to college. Of course he goes to class. But sometimes it’s easy for us, the fans, to forget just what these kids go through as Kentucky basketball players. It’s a grind. There is so much on their plate. One minute you’re playing in front of the entire nation on ESPN, few hours later, you’re up walking across campus with an umbrella that covers half of a shoulder to hand in a paper in the pouring rain.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT