ADVERTISEMENT

We Laugh at Candy Stripes; IU Players Wear Them to Weddings

you are realllly reaching with that one...

How is that?

In both cases ('12 IU and '92 UK) kids who persevered through adversity were rewarded for an 'accomplishment' that had once been considered a common expectation.

I think it's an apples to apples comparison.

How is that?

In both cases ('12 IU and '92 UK) kids who persevered through adversity were rewarded for an 'accomplishment' that had once been considered a common expectation.

I think it's an apples to apples comparison.

Not really. In the case of the '92 Wildcats, they actually won a conference tournament and took the defending national champions to OT in the Elite 8 and only lost because of a miracle shot at the buzzer. Your precious 2012 Hoosiers finished 5th in the Big 10 and lost in the Quarterfinals of the Big 10 Tournament and we all know what happened in the Sweet 16 when we spanked your asses and sent you home. Thanks for playing!

Not really. In the case of the '92 Wildcats, they actually won a conference tournament and took the defending national champions to OT in the Elite 8 and only lost because of a miracle shot at the buzzer. Your precious 2012 Hoosiers finished 5th in the Big 10 and lost in the Quarterfinals of the Big 10 Tournament and we all know what happened in the Sweet 16 when we spanked your asses and sent you home. Thanks for playing!

...and they were given rings to commemorate that?

You people always talk as if that program is above honoring such trivial achievements. How can you defend making rings for a lousy conference tournament title?

I know that many of you love the five star recruits that Calipari brings to UK. I think that's excellent; enjoy! To each his own.

However, that picture helps to explain the connection that very good (but primarily not NBA quality) players that stay in school, live in dorms with other students, and stay at least three years can form with their teammates and the fan base.

As an IU graduate, I strongly prefer it - doesn't mean you have to.

IU players "flashing signs":

CIhGpooWsAAoYcT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ameoba Offense
I know that many of you love the five star recruits that Calipari brings to UK. I think that's excellent; enjoy! To each his own.

However, that picture helps to explain the connection that very good (but primarily not NBA quality) players that stay in school, live in dorms with other students, and stay at least three years can form with their teammates and the fan base.

CIhGpooWsAAoYcT.jpg

2015-Cats.jpg

Reactions: oldfanofuk

CIhGpooWsAAoYcT.jpg
As a UK fan, I highly encourage you guys to continue accepting the irrelevant status you've held for the past 2 decades.

If that means coping via acting as if you prefer MAC level players wearing your candy stripes and getting their asses kicked by elite talent, go for it.

...and they were given rings to commemorate that?

You people always talk as if that program is above honoring such trivial achievements. How can you defend making rings for a lousy conference tournament title?

At least the '92 Cats actually won something that was somewhat meaningful. If Indiana wins a Big 10 Tournament any time in the next century you guys would celebrate like you won the national title. What exactly did that 2012 IU team win??? Nothing! How can you defend making rings for a Sweet 16 game that you lost?

At least the '92 Cats actually won something that was somewhat meaningful. If Indiana wins a Big 10 Tournament any time in the next century you guys would celebrate like you won the national title. What exactly did that 2012 IU team win??? Nothing! How can you defend making rings for a Sweet 16 game that you lost?

I don't defend it. I couldn't care less one way or the other - I don't care who makes rings or popcorn boxes or who storms a court or any of that stuff. To each his own. It's just sports..

My point is that you people obviously obsess over this ridiculous sh!t but yet your program made rings for winning a meaningless conference tourney and you (all of you, collectively) don't seem to see the irony or hypocrisy in your dimwitted potshots.

Reactions: Da_Bull
Put all of their lifetime salaries together and they won't equal one year of John Wall's salary. Stick that in your candy striped pipe and smoke it.

Wall has A LOT of money right now.

Cody Zeller was the #4 overall draft pick and was a first team Academic All-American as a top ten b-school business major.
No guarantees, but it is overwhelmingly likely that by age 50, Cody Zeller will have the higher net worth.

Cody Zeller was the #4 overall draft pick and was a first team Academic All-American as a top ten b-school business major.
No guarantees, but it is overwhelmingly likely that by age 50, Cody Zeller will have the higher net worth.
You can't be serious.

[roll]These IU goofs telling themselves whatever they have to about their basketball program so they can sleep better at night.

A FANTASTIC picture of a (very) nice group of young men AND excellent players...having a great time.

Eight of the ten will not be back next year.
None of them were seniors.
Poythress will graduate from UK.
.................and they all will be millionaires .............what is the reason people attend college?????????????

Go Big Blue!

A pair of John Wall's shoes will be worth more than Big handsome's car lot.

You can't be serious.

The broad picture:

(MoneyWatch) Did you hear about the professional athlete who just declared bankruptcy? Of course you have. Because when it comes to professional athletes and money, we tend to only hear about how large their new contract is worth or how much they just lost -- and unfortunately there is no shortage of examples of the latter. A Sports Illustrated article reports the grim statistics -- 78 percent of NFL players face bankruptcy or serious financial stress within just two years of leaving the game and 60 percent of NBA players face the same dire results in five years.

And...for some empirical UK-centered evidence, the Antoine Walker story:

Which player do YOU think is more likely to be a multi-millionaire at 50; the Academic All-American business major with tens of millions in earnings, or the guy with a gaggle of neighborhood friends:

John had posted a photo of his crew on the way to Vegas on May 22nd ... though it's unclear if the same guys were involved in the incident on the flight home.
0528-john-wall-instagram-6.jpg
hanging by his side who has earned a fair bit more?

I'm completely serious, and anyone with a well-versed financial background would agree.

Last edited:
The broad picture:

(MoneyWatch) Did you hear about the professional athlete who just declared bankruptcy? Of course you have. Because when it comes to professional athletes and money, we tend to only hear about how large their new contract is worth or how much they just lost -- and unfortunately there is no shortage of examples of the latter. A Sports Illustrated article reports the grim statistics -- 78 percent of NFL players face bankruptcy or serious financial stress within just two years of leaving the game and 60 percent of NBA players face the same dire results in five years.

Which player do YOU think is more likely to be a multi-millionaire at 50; the Academic All-American business major with tens of millions in earnings, or the guy with a gaggle of neighborhood friends:

John had posted a photo of his crew on the way to Vegas on May 22nd ... though it's unclear if the same guys were involved in the incident on the flight home.

I'm completely serious, and anyone with a well-versed financial background would agree.
Hoosier Fan I understand what you are trying to say. I can tell you are proud of your MBA business degree thinking, however, it is also true that Indiana basketball has been irrevelant for over a decade. I have family and friends in Indiana, many have Kentucky roots from 50 years ago - many became big IU fans and thought Bobby Knight could walk on water. But think about the last two decades including Bobby Knight's last decade as Coach - what has Indiana basketball accomplished on the court? I and many other college fans do feel for many Indiana fans - we sure went thru a similar period in the waning years of Tubby and the short period of Billy G. It so hard to fanthom that IU has put up with this poor showing. It is also very hard for all the MBA Business guys like you talk about to allow such a product to be put out representing IU all these years.

If you wish to discuss business degrees that is great. But also don't start comparing Kentucky's professional's failures in sports and saying they are all going to be that way. You show a person from Chicago we all know about who failed miserably managing his money. We know that many of the athletes fail - but you fail to mention is how many of the "modern" last 15 years have failed and how many of John Calipari's players have failed. You see, it is much like public schools in general today - most schooling doesn't include how to balance a check book, how to compare insurance policies, how to know how much house you can afford, etc., etc, etc. Is that a college failing - or is that public education and parents failing?

The basketball players at Kentucky are also instructed in public relations, speaking and how to handle their money for the future. Not everyone passes every course, but if you will study what has and is happening at Kentucky, who you want to throw rocks at, you find that a very strong attempt is made to "educate" the players to be good citizen's and pay back from their enormous earnings. Why don't you compare how much John Calipari's players have donated back to their home communities, their pro home communities and to the University of Kentucky. Then compare that to your Indiana Hoosier Alumni. I think you will find you will have to be very humbled.

It's a shame that many, many IU basketball fans are very bitter about other basketball programs and UK in particular. I understand their pride of a once great and proud program. Now it is only a proud program - it is definitely not a great program. Just think about all the Basketball programs that have blown by IU. You think I am just poking fun? Who's program is currently better - Wichita State or IU? Arizona or IU? Wisconsin or IU? Florida or IU? VCU or IU? Villanova or IU? Virginia or IU? Gonzaga or IU? Oklahoma or IU? San Diego State or IU? These are just some programs that immediately come to mind. IU's fans deserve a basketball program that competes.

I have family in friends at Tennessee, they have made my life miserable about our football program. I love UK and attended UK. I want UK to be competitive in both basketball and football as well as anything else we field a team in. We have endured the pain of losing and looking incompetent in football for much longer than IU has in basketball. Tennessee has fallen on some hard times recently as well - just like IU has in basketball, but they appear to be building another "powerful" program. It is easy for them - they have the biggest and baddest of everything in that sport. Fortunately for UK, we have decided we wish to participate in football again too! It is much harder and it takes much longer to build a competitive football program - but UK is well on its way - finally!

Again can you say that about IU basketball? In reality what has Tom Crean ever done as a basketball coach? He had one good year led by a basketball star named Dwayne Wade. Eliminate the Wade year's and what has he really accomplished? A sweet sixteen run and a very early in the season home biased buzzer beater win over UK. I give you those points - now provide some other proof he has done well and is a good choice? IU is being laughed at by it's decisions in basketball. Bobby Knight in his prime, love him or hate him, was a great basketball Coach - but since then IU has not found the guy. But you want find the guy when your MBA guys gives a very mediocre coach a "guaranteed" buyout that is huge in comparison to your future Cody Zeller earnings you are convinced of.

Hoosier Fan, I understand your defending your program, but going after Kentucky is wrong way to show your pride. It runs very natural in Indiana, as again, I have many friends and that is all they do is throw this stuff around. You guys need to be taking your venom and depression out on the IU adminstration. If you attacked them with as much vigor as you do UK on these sports boards you might get a good coach to come to Indiana and build it back. Personally we hope you guys concentrate on UK, let us and unfortunately UL take your state's best basketball players because they want to play for coaches like Calipari and Pitino. They want to play for almost anyone else but Tom Crean. While you preach to us look at your program in detail. How many players has Crean recruited to Indiana that have left the program for some mysterious reason before they graduate? It may surprise you find out you have as many one and done players as Kentucky has!

Take the time to chew on the facts I have mentioned above. I may get hammered by a lot of Kentucky fans, but we on these boards think we have a lot more power than we do. We want IU to focus on jealousy and not on improving their situation. We will always get the last laugh! IU can live in the past and enjoy their history - but it isn't helping them now - IU's basketball history is now almost as ancient as the once powerful Greeks!

Go Big Blue!

Hoosier Fan I understand what you are trying to say. I can tell you are proud of your MBA business degree thinking, however, it is also true that Indiana basketball has been irrevelant for over a decade. I have family and friends in Indiana, many have Kentucky roots from 50 years ago - many became big IU fans and thought Bobby Knight could walk on water. But think about the last two decades including Bobby Knight's last decade as Coach - what has Indiana basketball accomplished on the court? I and many other college fans do feel for many Indiana fans - we sure went thru a similar period in the waning years of Tubby and the short period of Billy G. It so hard to fanthom that IU has put up with this poor showing. It is also very hard for all the MBA Business guys like you talk about to allow such a product to be put out representing IU all these years.

If you wish to discuss business degrees that is great. But also don't start comparing Kentucky's professional's failures in sports and saying they are all going to be that way. You show a person from Chicago we all know about who failed miserably managing his money. We know that many of the athletes fail - but you fail to mention is how many of the "modern" last 15 years have failed and how many of John Calipari's players have failed. You see, it is much like public schools in general today - most schooling doesn't include how to balance a check book, how to compare insurance policies, how to know how much house you can afford, etc., etc, etc. Is that a college failing - or is that public education and parents failing?

The basketball players at Kentucky are also instructed in public relations, speaking and how to handle their money for the future. Not everyone passes every course, but if you will study what has and is happening at Kentucky, who you want to throw rocks at, you find that a very strong attempt is made to "educate" the players to be good citizen's and pay back from their enormous earnings. Why don't you compare how much John Calipari's players have donated back to their home communities, their pro home communities and to the University of Kentucky. Then compare that to your Indiana Hoosier Alumni. I think you will find you will have to be very humbled.

It's a shame that many, many IU basketball fans are very bitter about other basketball programs and UK in particular. I understand their pride of a once great and proud program. Now it is only a proud program - it is definitely not a great program. Just think about all the Basketball programs that have blown by IU. You think I am just poking fun? Who's program is currently better - Wichita State or IU? Arizona or IU? Wisconsin or IU? Florida or IU? VCU or IU? Villanova or IU? Virginia or IU? Gonzaga or IU? Oklahoma or IU? San Diego State or IU? These are just some programs that immediately come to mind. IU's fans deserve a basketball program that competes.

I have family in friends at Tennessee, they have made my life miserable about our football program. I love UK and attended UK. I want UK to be competitive in both basketball and football as well as anything else we field a team in. We have endured the pain of losing and looking incompetent in football for much longer than IU has in basketball. Tennessee has fallen on some hard times recently as well - just like IU has in basketball, but they appear to be building another "powerful" program. It is easy for them - they have the biggest and baddest of everything in that sport. Fortunately for UK, we have decided we wish to participate in football again too! It is much harder and it takes much longer to build a competitive football program - but UK is well on its way - finally!

Again can you say that about IU basketball? In reality what has Tom Crean ever done as a basketball coach? He had one good year led by a basketball star named Dwayne Wade. Eliminate the Wade year's and what has he really accomplished? A sweet sixteen run and a very early in the season home biased buzzer beater win over UK. I give you those points - now provide some other proof he has done well and is a good choice? IU is being laughed at by it's decisions in basketball. Bobby Knight in his prime, love him or hate him, was a great basketball Coach - but since then IU has not found the guy. But you want find the guy when your MBA guys gives a very mediocre coach a "guaranteed" buyout that is huge in comparison to your future Cody Zeller earnings you are convinced of.

Hoosier Fan, I understand your defending your program, but going after Kentucky is wrong way to show your pride. It runs very natural in Indiana, as again, I have many friends and that is all they do is throw this stuff around. You guys need to be taking your venom and depression out on the IU adminstration. If you attacked them with as much vigor as you do UK on these sports boards you might get a good coach to come to Indiana and build it back. Personally we hope you guys concentrate on UK, let us and unfortunately UL take your state's best basketball players because they want to play for coaches like Calipari and Pitino. They want to play for almost anyone else but Tom Crean. While you preach to us look at your program in detail. How many players has Crean recruited to Indiana that have left the program for some mysterious reason before they graduate? It may surprise you find out you have as many one and done players as Kentucky has!

Take the time to chew on the facts I have mentioned above. I may get hammered by a lot of Kentucky fans, but we on these boards think we have a lot more power than we do. We want IU to focus on jealousy and not on improving their situation. We will always get the last laugh! IU can live in the past and enjoy their history - but it isn't helping them now - IU's basketball history is now almost as ancient as the once powerful Greeks!

Go Big Blue!

Wow.

All I was saying was; odds are a guy like Zeller is more likely to hold onto his millions.
That's quite a soliliquy on all things IU basketball from your point of view. Nice to see your extended opinions, but that wasn't really the topic that was raised.

Madam Cleo since you can predict the futures of both Wall and Zeller could you give me the winning Powerball numbers? :joy::joy:

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
Wow.

All I was saying was; odds are a guy like Zeller is more likely to hold onto his millions.
That's quite a soliliquy on all things IU basketball from your point of view. Nice to see your extended opinions, but that wasn't really the topic that was raised.

Why because he is white? What other reason would cause you to have that opinion? Racist much?

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
The broad picture:

You're saying professional athletes squander there millions and show statistics. Wall AND Zeller are professional athletes and BOTH are part of those raw stats but you are attempting to exclude Zeller.I assume your attempt to exclude Zeller has to do with him being a business major, well Wall is also a business major who is working toward his degree ( something he promised his mom) every summer since he's been in the league.
As for the friends he hangs around???? Sounds like you're profiling, I would be curious as to the basis of your stereo typing.

Wow.

I guess I was reacting to the many similar posts we get on here from IU fans and Alumni. Plus I was reacting to the link to interview with a player from 20 years ago mishandling his money and going broke. This was a decade plus before Calipari arrived here. However, maybe you could discuss what was said with your IU fans and think about what I shared with you. Maybe it will help IU start worrying about IU instead of others. I truly, unlike many here, want to see IU relevant again. It was more fun to actually discuss quality basketball with my family and friends than to discuss business degrees and money made and kept.

Go Big Blue!

So will Oladipo and Vonleh both be broke and have less money than Zeller or is it just UK's black players that can't manage money?

Reactions: SosaUK
I love wearing my UK gear when in Indiana.

The people from County Line road just south of Indy all the way to Chicago take it the worst though. They don't make eye contact, they look down and away and take a humbled, withdrawn posture.

It's hilarious!

So will Oladipo and Vonleh both be broke and have less money than Zeller or is it just UK's black players that can't manage money?

The odds of Oladipo hanging on to his money are far greater than Noah Vonleh. If you have any knowledge of the background, maturity, and personal responsibilities of Oladipo and Vonleh you would very likely agree.

• IU.... builds a 'Shrine' (trophy case of sorts) on campus with Watford's jersey in it commemorating a win over UK in December on a buzzer beater.
  • IU.... puts out popcorn boxes commemorating same game as described above.
  • IU fan.... creates a painting that looks like a red blob that is supposedly their fans STORMING THE COURT after the game described above.
  • IU team.... cuts down nets after a loss.
  • IU coach.... gets mocked all over the web for his 'photogenic' face.....something that became known as 'Creaning'
  • IU recruits a player named Peter Jurkin... the nation-wide mocking escalates....the jokes were writing themselves
In summary.....you guys are a joke. Your only current relevance is the humor your team and coach provide to anyone that enjoys mocking you. UK doesn't need IU. Their basketball schedule is just fine without you on it.

Why because he is white? What other reason would cause you to have that opinion? Racist much?

That is patent nonsense.

Don't you guys think that Alex Poythress has a far, far greater chance of getting ahead AND STAYING AHEAD in life than John Wall?

Poythress/Oladipo/Zeller = much more likely success.

Take off the blue glasses and tell the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT