ADVERTISEMENT

We basically have minutes open for the SG, SF

BlueArrow87

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 5, 2015
Bluegrass Kingdom
and PF positions. So yeah signing Mulder will help. I know Matthews,Poy, and Lee can help with those three positions but I am hoping we get two more quality players.

It could be a juco, transfer or diamond in the rough type of player. This year all the four stars seemed to sign fast and a lot of the 5 stars seemed to stay home (so be it). I know cal has it covered but we need a physical big guy and another 3 point shooter to go along with Mulder if he comes here.

yeah but what are back-ups for them two. Is the Big Greek Man still on board? What about that 3 star big who was described as a pogo stick?

Doubt Cal signs kids just fill back up holes. No need to burn a 4 year scholly with the super classes coming up

If we can land Mulder and either Diallo or Murray I think we are golden. Skal Poy and Lee can man the 4 and 5 spots provided we have Briscoe, Murray, Mulder, and Mathews (plus the possibility of Willis/Hawkins) to man the 2 and 3. Or if Diallo comes without Murray Poy can play a lot at the 3 and we have a bigger lineup like last years team. I'd prefer the smaller bunch myself. Actually I prefer we get all 3 guys lol

Cal is only going to play 6-7 guys, so we only need 1 or 2 more guys. We need an elite shooter/scorer on the wing first and foremost. Anything else is bonus. At this point I think our best hope is Murray. With Murray we will be dangerous. We will have a shot at the Final Four and a title by the end of the season with Murray.

Starters
G Ulis
G Briscoe
G Murray
F Poythress
F Labissiere

Key Reserves
F Lee
G Matthews or Mulder

That's really all we have room for. We can't pass on Diallo, but he is a luxury at this point. I feel like Murray is almost a must get. He completes this team.

Cal is only going to play 6-7 guys, so we only need 1 or 2 more guys. We need an elite shooter/scorer on the wing first and foremost. Anything else is bonus. At this point I think our best hope is Murray. With Murray we will be dangerous. We will have a shot at the Final Four and a title by the end of the season with Murray.

Starters
G Ulis
G Briscoe
G Murray
F Poythress
F Labissiere

Key Reserves
F Lee
G Matthews or Mulder

That's really all we have room for. We can't pass on Diallo, but he is a luxury at this point. I feel like Murray is almost a must get. He completes this team.

That's the way I see it, but I'd sure like more than just Marcus subbing for both the 4 and the 5.

Need another big. Going through the season with only three leaves zero room for error. Don't have to get a stud, a role player would be sufficient. If one gets hurt or gets in foul trouble we'll be walking on thin ice if we aren't winning comfortably.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Need another big. Going through the season with only three leaves zero room for error. Don't have to get a stud, a role player would be sufficient. If one gets hurt or gets in foul trouble we'll be walking on thin ice if we aren't winning comfortably.
That's where I see Tai Wynyard coming into play. If we miss on Diallo, having Wynyard coming in the second semester would provide the insurance you need. He wouldn't be relied on to be an impact player, but rather a guy to provide defense and rebounding when our other bigs are in foul trouble. Just adding Murray and Mulder make this team one of the best once again.

That's where I see Tai Wynyard coming into play. If we miss on Diallo, having Wynyard coming in the second semester would provide the insurance you need. He wouldn't be relied on to be an impact player, but rather a guy to provide defense and rebounding when our other bigs are in foul trouble. Just adding Murray and Mulder make this team one of the best once again.

It's possible, can anyone remember a 2nd semester kid actually doing anything his freshman year?

Being eligible in the second semester means Wynward can play starting in late December correct?
I think so. It's either late December or early January. I would assume once the first semester is over the player would be eligible, and that would be late December. I don't know the official rules.

Reactions: Willsc
We do indeed have minutes available at SG and at SF. In fact, I think Jaylen Brown could really help himself by coming to U.K. He would certainly get all of the minutes he wants at SF, and -- while we didn't bring home the bacon in the 2015 NCAA tournament, his probabilities of winning an NCAA championship are probably greater with U.K. than with KU or UCLA.

But I don't think there's any chance of Brown coming to U.K., so the foregoing -- regarding Jaylen Brown -- is more mental gymnastics than anything else.

Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: Abomb502Cat
Jaylen Brown would be a huge get. A physical talented wing that is an attacking scorer. He would actually be my first choice of the unsigned recruits.

That's the way I see it, but I'd sure like more than just Marcus subbing for both the 4 and the 5.

2012 team
Starters at the 4 and 5:
F Jones(29mpg)
F Davis(32mpg)

Sub
Wiltjer(12mpg)

Vargas rarely played (6mpg)

If Poythress plays Jones type minutes, Labissiere plays Davis type minutes, that leaves Lee with 18-20 mpg.

If there is an injury to any of those guys we are probably in trouble, but if Davis or Jones would have went down in 2012 we were sunk that year.

So, adding Diallo would be great. It would cut down on Labissiere's, Poythress', and Lee's minutes, which would help keep the guys fresh, but we will be fine without him.

This is going to come across as Cal bashing, but can we develop some talent? Why have Willis and Hawkins if they can't give us anything substantial? We're not talking about Sam Malone here.

It's not ENTIRELY up to the individual player to improve their game. I feel like the only player who really stepped up their game and surprised when they weren't expected to is Josh Harrellson. Maybe WCS, but he never really developed beyond a defensive player, using his athleticism, which he already possessed.

Seems like it's all 5 star Burger Boys scoring or nothing.

We don't have players developing into contributors after 2 or 3 years in the program because the vast majority of them leave after 2 years or less, mostly due to early entry while others transfer. The only guys who sniffed an ounce of PT and didn't enter the draft after 2 or less seasons were Poythress, Lee, WCS, and Miller. Due to shear sample size, I'm sure we'd have more players "developing" if the roster were stocked with multiple upperclassman every single season.

If we only need 1 or 2 more, then why was Cal going after 4 or 5?

After the seven announced Cal said he wanted to add 2 or 3 more players.

He expects to add Mulder. That means he is still expecting to add 1 or 2 more after Mulder signs.

Jaylen Brown would be a huge get. A physical talented wing that is an attacking scorer. He would actually be my first choice of the unsigned recruits.

With Newman going elsewhere, Brown is certainly a more pliable option now.

Ullis & Briscoe undoubtedly would keep him well fed.

I really hope we can get brown but from talking heads he is likely going to an adidas school. If he comes here he would be a big addition. I'd love to have him, Murry and Diallo if we got them three that would be like a dream. Not going to be happen but if it did....lol.

I'm kind of looking forward to having a little bit smaller team. Most of Cal's teams here have been really big, which has worked most of the time. Sometimes, however, our offense had a tendency to become a little congested, stagnant, whatever you want to call it with so many players relying on scoring in the lane. I think it'll be fun to watch a team with a few more perimeter players with some athletes at the forward spots instead of an oversized 3 and two traditional low post big men. We'll be fine.

Anyone that thinks we don't need another big man is crazy. Cal is trying to soothe things over with the fans but I would bet he does not believe the things he is saying. This class has turned out to be far from what anyone thought it would be so far. If we get Brown/ Ingram ,Diallo and Mulder or Murray we should be ok but Cal is scared to recruit more guys because of the wealth of talent in the 2016 class. He better start casting a bigger net if you ask me because the guys everyone thinks he is going to get seem to be going to other schools. Many times the numbers 1-5 players are not that much better if at all than the 15-20 ranked kids or the 20-25 ranked kids. Take the guys who wants to commit first and move on.

Many times the numbers 1-5 players are not that much better if at all than the 15-20 ranked kids or the 20-25 ranked kids. Take the guys who wants to commit first and move on.

Sometimes, yes, a guy in the 15-20 range is as good or better than a top 5 guy. In the long run, however, top 5 guys tend to be much stronger players. The list of the best freshmen of the OAD era is almost practically limited to top 5 prospects.

2012 team
Starters at the 4 and 5:
F Jones(29mpg)
F Davis(32mpg)

Sub
Wiltjer(12mpg)

Vargas rarely played (6mpg)

If Poythress plays Jones type minutes, Labissiere plays Davis type minutes, that leaves Lee with 18-20 mpg.

If there is an injury to any of those guys we are probably in trouble, but if Davis or Jones would have went down in 2012 we were sunk that year.

So, adding Diallo would be great. It would cut down on Labissiere's, Poythress', and Lee's minutes, which would help keep the guys fresh, but we will be fine without him.

So you are counting on Lee playing all 18 minutes that Wiltjer and Vargas played? Those 6 minutes could come in handy.

Kinda hate this class to be honest.

Double whammy when it's weak and weird.
I agree with both your posts in this thread,this is an odd class and Willis and Hawkins need to get to the point that they can give us minutes(the same could be said for Lee)

We still need at least 2 more players that can make contributions in case of injury or foul trouble in games

When you live on the edge in the world of OAD and a class like this comes along ,even though Cal gives it his best effort, things happen and the (blue) chips don't fall your way so you run the risk of getting caught short in numbers.We have talent but at this point we are 2 players short of the bodies we need for next season.

So you are counting on Lee playing all 18 minutes that Wiltjer and Vargas played? Those 6 minutes could come in handy.

If we add Diallo, then Lee probably ends up getting closer to Vargas type minutes. Diallo, Labissiere, and Poythress will divide up the majority of the minutes at the 4 and 5 with Poythress also playing some at the 3.

I want Diallo, but he steals most of Lee's minutes, so get ready for the "why doesn't Lee play more" threads all season if we get Diallo.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT