ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart Superstore Store Manager Pay

vhcat70

All-American
Feb 5, 2003
So what might you imagine it is?

For biggest stores & best managers, total compensation is $400K+ !! This counts bonuses & stock awards. Per WSJ.

Average "base salary" is $128K. And many of these mangers were hired off the street as stock boys/girls/them. College? What college?

They work 60-70 hours a week or so plus I’m sure it’s highly stressful to hit the margins the higher ups want.

They work a ton and work a lot of weekends.

It's a high stress environment.

I'm also pretty sure most did not rise up from stock boy or girl level.

Reactions: chroix
There will never be a Walmart boycott.
Covid ruined Walmart for me. I LOVED the 24 hour model as I work 3rd. Wasn't as much theft before then either. I'm sure that played a part in it. For a time back in the day, the auto service was 24 hours. Need a tire or oil change at 3am? No problem. It was great. Now it sucks and not just the hours. I'd rather go to Ben's or Ollies and get better deals. Yeah, I'm a tightwad.

Was in Florida last week and saw billboard advertising for McDonalds manager, think the starting pay was said to be $90K, or about four times what I made first year I practiced law. (of course, that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away)

Pretty darn good job though, at least salary and benefits are attractive for sure.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Buc-ee's cashiers, stockers, etc...

$18 / hour * Medical * Dental * Vision * 3 Weeks Paid Time Off * 401k 100% Match up to 6%

Their managers/GM's/Dept mgrs are 6 figures and higher.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Covid ruined Walmart for me. I LOVED the 24 hour model as I work 3rd. Wasn't as much theft before then either. I'm sure that played a part in it. For a time back in the day, the auto service was 24 hours. Need a tire or oil change at 3am? No problem. It was great. Now it sucks and not just the hours. I'd rather go to Ben's or Ollies and get better deals. Yeah, I'm a tightwad.
Companies like TJ Maxx, Ross Stores, Odd Lots/Big Lots and Ollie's Bargain Outlet are completely different business models. These guys buy excess inventory from big box retailers on the cheap and sell it back to their customers as deep discounted merchandise. Not familiar with Ben's.

Walmart is more of a traditional retailer with unique size and scale to basically strong-arm their suppliers to get the best prices to sell to their customers cheaper than most other retailers.

Companies like TJ Maxx, Ross Stores, Odd Lots/Big Lots and Ollie's Bargain Outlet are completely different business models. These guys buy excess inventory from big box retailers on the cheap and sell it back to their customers as deep discounted merchandise. Not familiar with Ben's.

Walmart is more of a traditional retailer with unique size and scale to basically strong-arm their suppliers to get the best prices to sell to their customers cheaper than most other retailers.

Ocean State Job Lot seems similar to these.. and it's a downright hidden gem. They had a deal the other day, use their reward card and get 40% off everything up to $200 in purchases.

They have everything from pool chemicals to protein snacks, lawn furniture to greeting cards.

Reactions: jameslee32
Ocean State Job Lot seems similar to these.. and it's a downright hidden gem. They had a deal the other day, use their reward card and get 40% off everything up to $200 in purchases.

They have everything from pool chemicals to protein snacks, lawn furniture to greeting cards.
Yup sounds like it. The merchandise can vary greatly depending on who has excess inventory.

Yup sounds like it. The merchandise can vary greatly depending on who has excess inventory.

I admit, I am a tightwad and used to buy clothes, especially golf shirts and other golf attire from Steinmart on N Circle Road, they always had selections from the major manufacturers, at ridiculous prices.

But, they went out of business, so back to Dicks and Golf Galaxy I go.

• Sad
Reactions: jameslee32
I admit, I am a tightwad and used to buy clothes, especially golf shirts and other golf attire from Steinmart on N Circle Road, they always had selections from the major manufacturers, at ridiculous prices.

I used to go there as well.

I find Macy's, PGA Tour Superstore, and even Amazon on occasion to have great deals....def better than Dicks from my experience.

I always watch for deals on Peter Millar and Travis Mathew sites. My fav shirt at the moment is Rhoback but they rarely offer any significant savings.

Reactions: Tskware
My uncle was is Walmart manager, he’s always worked a ton, missed holidays, worked nights for a long time, very stressful but good money and provided for his wife and 2 boys

I’ll just cut out the wife and kids and live easy

Loved Stein Mart. They closed here in Louisville too. Very sad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT