ADVERTISEMENT

vinyl plank flooring

wildcatadam6

All-American
Mar 28, 2005
I need to put in either new carpet or this vinyl plank flooring into our rental.

Seems like vinyl is the way to go. Waterproof, at least equal in price (better if you factor in labor as I can install it myself), and certainly more durable.

Looked at the stuff at Costco and it seems to be quality. Anyone used this? Any other brands you can recommend? For about $2/sqft, pretty sure I'm leaning this way.

We have installed this in our house. Got ours from Lowes. Pretty easy to install. About the same price.

We have Tarkett vinyl flooring in our basement.

http://www.tarkett.com/en/content/products

Very cheap and very quick to install. One thing that was really cool is that it's a vinyl sheeting that doesn't need to be glued down. It has a backing on it that keeps it in place. For the basement is was a wonderful choice. If the waterheater were to break down and flood, you just need to roll the floor back a little.......let it dry.......then just lay it back down.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
We have Tarkett vinyl flooring in our basement.

http://www.tarkett.com/en/content/products

Very cheap and very quick to install. One thing that was really cool is that it's a vinyl sheeting that doesn't need to be glued down. It has a backing on it that keeps it in place. For the basement is was a wonderful choice. If the waterheater were to break down and flood, you just need to roll the floor back a little.......let it dry.......then just lay it back down.

We used the tile "wood like" 8 x 48 inch planks in our basement after our 3 month old carpet was ruined by water damage in the sprring.

Looks incredible. Looks just like a barn wood floor.

887275013276_03794106.jpg

Ours is a "wood-look" too. When you just casually walk into the basement it looks like real hardwoods. Now, if you walk on it in bare feet......or examine it a little closer......you can tell that it's just one big sheet of vinyl.......but hey, the costs savings were very impressive. We wanted tile, but this was 1/3rd the price of a decent tile.

The vinyl has become the most popular for rentals for sure. Cost, durability etc etc. Every landlord I know is using it.
Like anything else though, there are good and bad manufacturers. Everyone I talk to uses the Allure brand, mainly because of its durability. It's worked well for me.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
Ours is a "wood-look" too. When you just casually walk into the basement it looks like real hardwoods. Now, if you walk on it in bare feet......or examine it a little closer......you can tell that it's just one big sheet of vinyl.......but hey, the costs savings were very impressive. We wanted tile, but this was 1/3rd the price of a decent tile.

All material cost me about $1,400 and did instal myself. We thought about the vinyl but the tile looks much better.

We certainly would've went tile. It does look much better. I wanted a natural rock look to the tile, but financially at the time just didn't work out for us. Nor did I have the time to do it myself at that time. We were able to get all 750 ft2 of the basement done for a little over $1100.......he completed it in about 2-3 hrs. (the floor was bare concrete to begin with after I removed all the carpet myself.)

You in Lexington BlueRaider? I've also got about 600-650 sq ft to do.

You got tile installed for ~$1.50/sqft?

^No, not tile. Vinyl sheet flooring....as I linked above.

The cost to do my basement in tile would've been about $1500 myself........or about $3500-4000 installed.

We certainly would've went tile. It does look much better. I wanted a natural rock look to the tile, but financially at the time just didn't work out for us. Nor did I have the time to do it myself at that time. We were able to get all 750 ft2 of the basement done for a little over $1100.......he completed it in about 2-3 hrs. (the floor was bare concrete to begin with after I removed all the carpet myself.)

Cant go wrong really either way.

We have a cat that likes to piss on the floor on occasion, so I ripped out some laminate flooring and put some vinyl plank flooring from Lumber Liquidators in. That little bastard pisses all he wants on that stuff and it's perfect to clean right up.

I need to put in either new carpet or this vinyl plank flooring into our rental.

Seems like vinyl is the way to go. Waterproof, at least equal in price (better if you factor in labor as I can install it myself), and certainly more durable.

Looked at the stuff at Costco and it seems to be quality. Anyone used this? Any other brands you can recommend? For about $2/sqft, pretty sure I'm leaning this way.
We've put in hundreds of thousands of square feet. Avoid the adhesive strip connection stuff in a rental.

thanks.

do you have that many properties or do you work for a flooring company? What would install price be for ~600 sq ft? If it's reasonable, I'd rather not do it myself. I mean, I can/I've done it before on a small scale, but to save the headache it might be worth it.

that tarkett site isn't the most user friendly to just browse. did you install the vinyl sheet flooring @BlueRaider22? I assume vinyl sheet is just like a roll of linoleum?

It's similar to linoleum but it's much better. It rolls out. It has texture and impressive design. It's not as realistic as real tile or real hardwoods, but it's far more realistic than you'd think it would be.

We recently did my son's room in it. We got tired of him messing up the carpet. It was in a room that is about 10'x11' and it cost us about $250 to do it ourselves. It would have been a little cheaper but I messed up a few pieces and ended up having to buy an extra box. I also went with a little thicker plank.

I think Lowes charges about $200 to install it in a room. It wasn't to bad to do it ourselves. Just make sure to wear kneepads when doing it. My knees were killing me afterwards. The great thing about using vinyl is you only need a straight edge and sharp utility knife to install it. This is what ours looks like.

20150723_223228.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT