ADVERTISEMENT

UT-UK back to twice a year

Aug 8, 2001
For old timers who enjoyed the games, this seems the right thing to do. UT is getting UK, Vandy, and South Carolina. UK has Florida, UT and another yet to be named. Cal and Rick Barnes are friends. I wonder how that played into it.

For old timers who enjoyed the games, this seems the right thing to do. UT is getting UK, Vandy, and South Carolina. UK has Florida, UT and another yet to be named. Cal and Rick Barnes are friends. I wonder how that played into it.
I don't think it's anything Cal or the university did. It's just with the added sec teams the rotation is different every year. Just like with ole miss. We played down at the tad pad back to back years two,seasons ago and I was able to go to both games. I think how,the sec is set up now one team from the old divisions gets thrown in there twice and it changes from year to year.

I thought the the way the SEC is now each team only had 1 team who was perma 2 times a year? We have Florida.

I thought the the way the SEC is now each team only had 1 team who was perma 2 times a year? We have Florida.
I think this is correct with alternating teams play twice as well

Florida and Tennessee are our two biggest SEC rivals and it should be mandatory that they play twice a year.
Agree although will have to wait and see whether Florida is worth the trouble after Donovan.

Edit: (Not that UT is necessarily worth it but that's a border war with a lot more history)

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The Tennessee Rivals site which is usually very reliable said the SEC is going to go to three permanent opponents. This is coming out of the Destin SEC meeting.

So the 3rd will be either Arkansas, Vandy...or Missouri would be my final guess as it is the other north SEC school. I'd personally like Arkansas, then Missouri and last but certainly least...Vandy.

Yeah they are making it three permenant rivals now. So two SEC teams will rotate on the home and home each year while Florida, UT, and one other sec team are permenant home and home every year.

I'm 52, so I'm old enough to recall back when, at least to me, UT & IU were THE games you circled on the calendar; the two most "hated" teams as it were.

The Notre Dame game was always huge, but to me our two "truest" rivals are UT & IU, but I have no want to renew the series with IU, non whatsoever. If this is true, then I agree with those who think our 3 permanent SEC rival games should be UT, UF and Arky.

I don't consider UT a real rival. UK has beaten them 150 times. I know they have beaten UK more times than any other team. To me they are not a rival in the truest sense.

Historically, UT is our only rival in every sport. For me, that rivalry is still as strong as ever. If we can get it going again in football, I guarantee you they'll feel the same way.

Good news indeed for you guys. I absolutely despise the current ACC format. The death of the round robin league schedule has hurt long standing rivalries and created unbalanced league schedules where regular season champs sometimes end up only playing the best teams once and the worst teams twice.

As much as I love the tradition of the ACC Tournament, I would vote for nixing it if it meant that everyone played everyone twice.

ADVERTISEMENT