ADVERTISEMENT

Up to 7th in my model

Last night was an improvement, even with the poor rebounding.

I think it’s safe to call us a contender at this point, but I would still have us in the second tier.
What do you think we need to do in order to get into the first tier?

96 last night and I didn’t even think the offense was humming. Defense honestly only needs to improve by 5-7 points per hundred possessions to put UK over the top.
It will still be about matchups in the tournament. At this point I don’t know what our kryptonite is. The SEC this year has enough quality and variety of play to expose us to everything hopefully.

I would put Arizona/Houston/Purdue as the first tier right now.

I would put UCONN at the top of the 2nd tier, since they’ve proven themselves recently.

BYU and Iowa St. are two teams who are modeling great, but I need to see more. I would have them 2nd tier with a question mark.

Kentucky, FAU, Alabama, and Kansas would round out the 2nd tier.

I would say it’s most likely that the champion will be one of those 10 teams.

I think it’s safe to call us a contender at this point, but I would still have us in the second tier.
Kind of agree, except I think:

Right now, we can win or lose any game against the Elite.

But we have the potential to be the Hunted (instead of a Hunter)

Reactions: westerncat and Aike

I would put UCONN at the top of the 2nd tier, since they’ve proven themselves recently.

BYU and Iowa St. are two teams who are modeling great, but I need to see more. I would have them 2nd tier with a question mark.

Agreed. However, we all know Alabama isn’t winning 6 consecutive games with the way the rely on the 3. Just isn’t gonna happen.

Do a better job of challenging shots and improve our rebounding.
The poor close outs by the freshmen guards & Edwards drive me crazy!!!! The entire point of not closing out hard on a perimeter shot is to prevent the ball handler from putting the ball on the deck and driving by you easily. However those same players can’t keep anybody in front of them (except for Wagner) so they in effect aren’t effectively taking either option away. This year we have rim protection and when Ugonna is in we have elite rim protection so I would vote to focus on harder close outs and arms in the way of the shooters eye line. But I’m also just a basketball Bennie.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Kind of agree, except I think:

Right now, we can win or lose any game against the Elite.

But we have the potential to be the Hunted (instead of a Hunter)
crackhead.jpeg

Iowa state has clearly benefited in many metrics by blowing out bad teams. Really don’t think they’re a great team

Bingo. Until the Brandon Miller situation last year, Bama's over reliance on the 3 was the main reason I never wanted Oats to replace Cal.
They hit 19 3’s against Purdue and still lost. I don’t recall any team hitting that many 3’s and losing the game before I watched that one.

Reactions: Aike
Do a better job of challenging shots and improve our rebounding.

I just don't see a scenario where we aren't a better defensive team by the SEC tournament. Cal had great defensive teams for quite a while when he first got here. I think this should be a first tier team. I say that, and we may lose at Florida. Weird season.

Reactions: Aike
Iowa state has clearly benefited in many metrics by blowing out bad teams. Really don’t think they’re a great team
They are playing the right way, but are definitely overwhelming poor competition. Should come back to earth playing that Big 12 schedule, but I guess we’ll see.

They are playing the right way, but are definitely overwhelming poor competition. Should come back to earth playing that Big 12 schedule, but I guess we’ll see.
They could have a bit of Wisconsin syndrome. The early 2010's Wisconsin teams were famous for their ability to dismantle overmatched opponents.

Reactions: gharding07 and Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT