ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Cheats terrible APR scores

To me what happens to North Carolina is secondary to documenting just how corrupt their school has become. As has been proven over and over again, the NCAA will do what they want to do, regardless of the rules and regardless of whatever precedents they themselves have set in the past.

If the NCAA fails to punish UNC, then that's on the NCAA. All it means is that the NCAA will implode quicker than they already would have (which is inevitable BTW.)

I understand that in nearly every thread talking about the UNC scandal, some UK fan will get on and predict nothing will happen to UNC in the end. That's all well and good, but what's the point?

FWIW, as far as I'm concerned, UNC has already been revealed as a classless, corrupt, racist and morally empty institution that's willing to trash it's own academic integrity in the name of saving a couple of banners. The 'Carolina Way' will always be known as a complete sham and a disgrace. So regardless of what the NCAA, or SACS, or the federal government does etc., there already has been consequences for the school.

You are right on the money with this assessment.
The fact that the Department of Education has not launched an investigation of this is mind-blowing to me. I cannot believe for one second that an agency who watches numbers as closely as they do and vehemently go after those who mismanage federal funds would sit by the wayside and allow this multi-layered scheme to perpetuate across several decades.

To me what happens to North Carolina is secondary to documenting just how corrupt their school has become. As has been proven over and over again, the NCAA will do what they want to do, regardless of the rules and regardless of whatever precedents they themselves have set in the past.

If the NCAA fails to punish UNC, then that's on the NCAA. All it means is that the NCAA will implode quicker than they already would have (which is inevitable BTW.)

I understand that in nearly every thread talking about the UNC scandal, some UK fan will get on and predict nothing will happen to UNC in the end. That's all well and good, but what's the point?

FWIW, as far as I'm concerned, UNC has already been revealed as a classless, corrupt, racist and morally empty institution that's willing to trash it's own academic integrity in the name of saving a couple of banners. The 'Carolina Way' will always be known as a complete sham and a disgrace. So regardless of what the NCAA, or SACS, or the federal government does etc., there already has been consequences for the school.

It's hard to console ourselves with that fact Jon, when the media will just go back to slurping them and talking about how they do it the right way. Even to this day, almost no on-air personality at ESPN has spoken at length or with any honesty about this. John Saunders has at least twice claimed that Williams is innocent, and someone else claimed that Williams wasn't even at UNC when it occurred. The only ESPN guy that has given this even passing attention has been Bob Ley, who has 1 half-hour show. That network has embarrassed itself how it has failed to cover this. ATH and PTI completely ignored the last big news in this case. I forgot what it was, but I watched both shows that entire week, and neither show spoke one word about it.

This will be interesting.....
I asked the question about the SAT metrics precisely because scores at the level reported above would suggest that these students would need massive remedial help to take any class that would legitimately be called a "college" course. I know for a fact that the Ivy league schools only consider for scholarships (admittance) students with SAT's that are about 300 points higher . That's why average scores around 800 are eye opening.

It's hard to console ourselves with that fact Jon, when the media will just go back to slurping them and talking about how they do it the right way. Even to this day, almost no on-air personality at ESPN has spoken at length or with any honesty about this. John Saunders has at least twice claimed that Williams is innocent, and someone else claimed that Williams wasn't even at UNC when it occurred. The only ESPN guy that has given this even passing attention has been Bob Ley, who has 1 half-hour show. That network has embarrassed itself how it has failed to cover this. ATH and PTI completely ignored the last big news in this case. I forgot what it was, but I watched both shows that entire week, and neither show spoke one word about it.
You're right, if they don't get hammered the media will use that as justification for continuing their love fest with UNC. The only problem with that is anyone who has followed the case knows how dirty UNC really is.

I think it was Greg Anthony who made the comment about Roy not being at UNC during the time of the cheating.

The thing to keep in mind with respect to UNC APR is that if they do squeak by, they can thank their underhanded treatment of P.J. Hairston.

Remember that prior to the 2013-14 season Hairston was pulled over in a GMC Yukon which wasn't his, but licensed to convicted felon and known drug dealer "Fats" Thomas, while smoking weed and carrying a firearm (that is before it was thrown out the window).

Hairston soon followed that up receiving a speeding ticket clocking 93 mph in a 65 mph speed zone.

Roy Williams suspended Hairston from the team although at the time he assured everyone that Hairston would play that upcoming season, even though the NCAA was now aware of the situation.

At the time, many people (including myself) recognized that Hairston's incident was a potential ticking time bomb for UNC, as it brought to the attention to the illicit use of rented cars (a violation by itself), the numerous parking violations swept under the rug by the school (more violations), the ties to organized crime and drug dealing, etc. along with the fact discovered later that Fats' girlfriend, Catinia Farrington happened to run a Mental Health clinic in Durham which was where UNC had their athletes certified to be learning disabled (in order for them to cheat more efficiently).

Although I don't think anyone knows for certain what went on between UNC and the NCAA, it seems apparent that the NCAA indicated that it was unlikely that Hairston would be reinstated fairly early on. Yet UNC continued to claim (and many of their adherents actually believed) that Hairston would be reinstated.

As it turned out, once the fall semester was over, UNC quickly announced (on December 20, 2013, Friday before Christmas naturally) that they would not even pursue appealing the NCAA's decision (good for them since it avoided revisiting this sordid set of circumstances) but also incredible timing, because they were able to string Hairston along long enough that it ensured he finished out his Fall semester, but not so long that he started the Spring semester.

Good for Carolina and their precious APR. For Hairston, knuckle-head that he was, he was just another pawn used and spit out by the Carolina Way.

Nailed it. Totally strung PJ along.

Also kept Will Graves in Roy's House to make sure he took classes/didn't hurt their APR.

Excellent post, JP. Somebody should post that over at Pack Pride to add to their collection as that is an excellent point.

Reactions: kyfan606
They know already. PJ was lied to by UNC to keep their APR from tanking.

By my quick calculation, UNC-CHeats' four year average is 934 -- barely above the ban level of 930. Their two-year average is 935 -- under the two-year ban average of 940.

So they can celebrate the tremendous academic achievement of squeaking by one of the two standards by a net one point, on average, over the past four years.

As Jon Scott has noted -- they would have busted out for sure without the shoddy manipulation of PJ Hairston. What a tawdry mess that so-called university has become.

MD, correct me on this....didn't the NCAA drop the 2 year avg? So, all that is relevant is 930 over 4 years.

I understood the rule to mean schools only need to qualify under 1 OR the other (2 year or 4 year).
This all seems fishy to me, I get the feeling that numbers were…. Fudged to get them over the top. Why did it take them until the last minute to post the numbers? And of course the JUUUUUST made it over the cut line. Very fishy.

This. I looked it up; unc 4 year rolling avg. is 952 thru '13-14, which is the latest.

I found this on PackPride:

Umm, do the math on UNC basketball's reported 952 four-year APR average.

They didn't get a 1000. Somehow, they were given credit for a 1023.

equals

equals

Do you know what they actually got for the year 13'-14'? Sounds fishy.

equals

Wow, I thought I was done here, that you guys actually learned to do a little reading before posting. Obviously not, so let me help you out, once again:

(909 + 959 + 917 + 1000)/4 = 946.25 4-year average
(917 + 1000)/2 = 958.5 2-year average
(946.25 + 958.5)/2 = 952.39 rolling average

Seriously guys, READ FIRST, then (seriously think before you) post second.

Wow, I thought I was done here, that you guys actually learned to do a little reading before posting. Obviously not, so let me help you out, once again:

A UNCheat fan telling us to READ. That's rich.

Dude, reading comprehension is not your strength. I quoted that post for clarification. Did you have to ask S for help on this post? You aren't very bright.

ADVERTISEMENT