ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Cheats terrible APR scores

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
As this article shows, UNCheats was close to facing a post-season basketball ban this time last year because of low APR scores. They were dead last in the ACC in both basketball and football, according to other articles. Once the whistle was blown on the fraudulent AF-AM program, the academic standing of their basketball and football programs became a joke.

Some of the APR scores, like Kentucky basketball's very impressive one, have been released today. But not a peep on UNC basketball. It'll be interesting to see if they managed to avoid sinking even deeper. They needed a significantly higher score than previous years just to stay afloat.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/5/1...and-basketball-apr-scores-are-a-tad-worrisome
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/blo...Duke-No-1-in-ACC-football-basketball-UNC-last

Last edited:
As this article shows, UNCheats was close to facing a post-season basketball ban this time last year because of low APR scores. They were dead last in the ACC in both basketball and football, according to other articles. Once the whistle was blown of the fraudulent AF-AM program, the academic standing of their basketball and football programs became a joke.

Some of the APR scores, like Kentucky basketball's very impressive one, have been released today. But not a peep on UNC basketball. It'll be interesting to see if they managed to avoid sinking even deeper. They needed a significantly higher score than previous years just to stay afloat.

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/5/1...and-basketball-apr-scores-are-a-tad-worrisome
I'm sure Bobby Knight will be expressing his disdain for this news any minute. Dook Vitale as well.:rolleyes:

Reactions: brianpoe
LOL. unc is the longest running laugh in college sports. Please unc, never quit being you.

Call me when there are sanctions.

You mean when UNC announces that the NCAA has acknowledged their innovative program where they offer academic programs without the academics? That could be awhile coming. I think they are trying to make them undetectable now.

There, back to 150. I got ripped off somehow.

You can't make this stuff up! Translation: "Now that the heat is off, we have to figure out how to go back to cheating."

UNC’s football APR scored a 971 for the 2012-13 academic year but is hampered by an 895 in 2010-11, when the team was undergoing an NCAA investigation. The men’s basketball team scored a 917 in 2012-13.
In a statement, Tar Heels athletic director Bubba Cunningham said that a group of administrators worked with each sport to construct plans for improvement, and that sports that offer professional opportunities and have fewer people on the roster are more challenging because the APR numbers can fluctuate based on a few people.

Lol and I'm sure they will magically have just high enough 2013-14 scores to stay eligible. Hilarious none the less. I hope they burn.

giphy.gif

Reactions: UK till Death
It would be deleted if somebody did post it. Their mods would more than likely blacklist 100 cat fans to make themselves feel better and the school would hang another helms banner.

Reactions: jarms24
The irony here is that over at Inside Carolina you're starting to see comments about how awful UK and Duke are for "OAD" kids and that UNC is all about the mission of education(hilarious) and not being an NBA training ground for a year despite the fact that Roy has tried his best to recruit many of the same targets as Duke and Kentucky. Hell he just admitted this year that he was struggling to get some of the upper-elite kids to even come visit the campus.

I'm starting to think that letting this drag out is almost as bad as sanctions. Makes both UNC and the NCAA look bad.
There could be a lot of truth to that...you can't tell me that coaches aren't telling potential recruits the same thing. Death by a million small cuts...

The thing to keep in mind with respect to UNC APR is that if they do squeak by, they can thank their underhanded treatment of P.J. Hairston.

Remember that prior to the 2013-14 season Hairston was pulled over in a GMC Yukon which wasn't his, but licensed to convicted felon and known drug dealer "Fats" Thomas, while smoking weed and carrying a firearm (that is before it was thrown out the window).

Hairston soon followed that up receiving a speeding ticket clocking 93 mph in a 65 mph speed zone.

Roy Williams suspended Hairston from the team although at the time he assured everyone that Hairston would play that upcoming season, even though the NCAA was now aware of the situation.

At the time, many people (including myself) recognized that Hairston's incident was a potential ticking time bomb for UNC, as it brought to the attention to the illicit use of rented cars (a violation by itself), the numerous parking violations swept under the rug by the school (more violations), the ties to organized crime and drug dealing, etc. along with the fact discovered later that Fats' girlfriend, Catinia Farrington happened to run a Mental Health clinic in Durham which was where UNC had their athletes certified to be learning disabled (in order for them to cheat more efficiently).

Although I don't think anyone knows for certain what went on between UNC and the NCAA, it seems apparent that the NCAA indicated that it was unlikely that Hairston would be reinstated fairly early on. Yet UNC continued to claim (and many of their adherents actually believed) that Hairston would be reinstated.

As it turned out, once the fall semester was over, UNC quickly announced (on December 20, 2013, Friday before Christmas naturally) that they would not even pursue appealing the NCAA's decision (good for them since it avoided revisiting this sordid set of circumstances) but also incredible timing, because they were able to string Hairston along long enough that it ensured he finished out his Fall semester, but not so long that he started the Spring semester.

Good for Carolina and their precious APR. For Hairston, knuckle-head that he was, he was just another pawn used and spit out by the Carolina Way.

Fats' girlfriend, Catinia Farrington happened to run a Mental Health clinic in Durham which was where UNC had their athletes certified to be learning disabled (in order for them to cheat more efficiently).
That's 'The Carolina Way!'

The thing to keep in mind with respect to UNC APR is that if they do squeak by, they can thank their underhanded treatment of P.J. Hairston.

Remember that prior to the 2013-14 season Hairston was pulled over in a GMC Yukon which wasn't his, but licensed to convicted felon and known drug dealer "Fats" Thomas, while smoking weed and carrying a firearm (that is before it was thrown out the window).

Hairston soon followed that up receiving a speeding ticket clocking 93 mph in a 65 mph speed zone.

Roy Williams suspended Hairston from the team although at the time he assured everyone that Hairston would play that upcoming season, even though the NCAA was now aware of the situation.

At the time, many people (including myself) recognized that Hairston's incident was a potential ticking time bomb for UNC, as it brought to the attention to the illicit use of rented cars (a violation by itself), the numerous parking violations swept under the rug by the school (more violations), the ties to organized crime and drug dealing, etc. along with the fact discovered later that Fats' girlfriend, Catinia Farrington happened to run a Mental Health clinic in Durham which was where UNC had their athletes certified to be learning disabled (in order for them to cheat more efficiently).

Although I don't think anyone knows for certain what went on between UNC and the NCAA, it seems apparent that the NCAA indicated that it was unlikely that Hairston would be reinstated fairly early on. Yet UNC continued to claim (and many of their adherents actually believed) that Hairston would be reinstated.

As it turned out, once the fall semester was over, UNC quickly announced (on December 20, 2013, Friday before Christmas naturally) that they would not even pursue appealing the NCAA's decision (good for them since it avoided revisiting this sordid set of circumstances) but also incredible timing, because they were able to string Hairston along long enough that it ensured he finished out his Fall semester, but not so long that he started the Spring semester.

Good for Carolina and their precious APR. For Hairston, knuckle-head that he was, he was just another pawn used and spit out by the Carolina Way.

JP, they actually had players certified as LD? I hadn't heard that. That's , umm, dunno what to say.

Damn.

JP, they actually had players certified as LD? I hadn't heard that. That's , umm, dunno what to say.

Damn.

Powell says he took a paper class, and that "everybody knew" the nature of them. He also told the WJMH hosts that players were instructed to fail learning disability assessment tests so as to ensure players would be provided assistance during tests and for note-taking.

http://deadspin.com/former-unc-player-details-academic-fraud-says-everybo-1657041495

At this point, it doesnt matter how many articles come out about the fraud. Nothing is going to happen to North Carolina. The cheating has probably stopped and thats enough for the NCAA

Powell says he took a paper class, and that "everybody knew" the nature of them. He also told the WJMH hosts that players were instructed to fail learning disability assessment tests so as to ensure players would be provided assistance during tests and for note-taking.

http://deadspin.com/former-unc-player-details-academic-fraud-says-everybo-1657041495

Here's the relevant part with respect to Learning Disability:

"They basically like take you to like some place in Durham or something and they like you take this test and don’t get nothing wrong, we be like a experiment or something, don’t put these blocks together. I mean it was something simple 1 2 3, you could get it right, but they want you to get it wrong so they could had on paper to get you a note taker or something like that."

This is one of many rocks that the various investigations seem to have ignored. Given the high number of special exemptions that were used by UNC just to get these athletes admitted to the school, I think it is a valid question as to how many were certified Learning Disabled and which individuals were pushing that. (and how valid was the certification in the first place.)

As far as I'm concerned an investigator should have talked to every athlete who was designated LD, interview the staff who was in charge of that, and asses what connections were present between the staff and the evaluators etc.

Another item which I had remembered and was wondering about, and thanks to Bobby challenging me over something I said, I ran across a reference to it.

This pertains to the fact that in the early 1990s the News & Observer used to publish the High school GPA, average incoming SAT scores of athletes at all ACC schools, along with their graduation rates.

It was every interesting at the time because the general trend was that students who entered with higher test scores, generally had a higher rate of graduating. This was generally true except for one school, North Carolina.

Below is an excerpt of what I found (which is an average for basketball players from 1990 through 1994):

School HS GPA SAT
NC State 3.03 943
Duke 2.89 883
Ga Tech 2.59 855
FSU 2.59 852
Maryland 2.67 833
Clemson 2.68 823
Virginia 2.50 835
East Carolina 2.71 813
Wake Forest 2.61 805
UNC-CH 2.52 788​

UNC's football and basketball players generally had the absolute lowest entering SAT scores but miraculously had the highest graduation rate. Completely opposite of the general trend!

It smelled rotten at the time, but UNC fans were quick to assure the skeptics that this was just because of UNC's superior support program and commitment to academics (cough). Now we know better, but it just points to yet another of many loose ends around this corrupt program, and reinforces that these shenanigans have been going on for decades.

It would be nice for someone to go back and find the original News & Observer articles on this issue.

Jon Scott you are heaven sent. Everything I read of yours sounds like it's coming from a textbook. Would love to see how North Carolina fans spin those numbers.

At this point, it doesnt matter how many articles come out about the fraud. Nothing is going to happen to North Carolina. The cheating has probably stopped and thats enough for the NCAA

To me what happens to North Carolina is secondary to documenting just how corrupt their school has become. As has been proven over and over again, the NCAA will do what they want to do, regardless of the rules and regardless of whatever precedents they themselves have set in the past.

If the NCAA fails to punish UNC, then that's on the NCAA. All it means is that the NCAA will implode quicker than they already would have (which is inevitable BTW.)

I understand that in nearly every thread talking about the UNC scandal, some UK fan will get on and predict nothing will happen to UNC in the end. That's all well and good, but what's the point?

FWIW, as far as I'm concerned, UNC has already been revealed as a classless, corrupt, racist and morally empty institution that's willing to trash it's own academic integrity in the name of saving a couple of banners. The 'Carolina Way' will always be known as a complete sham and a disgrace. So regardless of what the NCAA, or SACS, or the federal government does etc., there already has been consequences for the school.

Schools like UNC, UVA, Michigan, Cal Berkeley, Stanford, and Duke should not have football teams. They have to lower their admission standards way too much and they do not have the needed remedial capacity to accommodate the academic basket cases

Schools like UNC, UVA, Michigan, Cal Berkeley, Stanford, and Duke should not have football teams. They have to lower their admission standards way too much and they do not have the needed remedial capacity to accommodate the academic basket cases

I wish SACS would tell schools that they cannot be accredited and continue to accept students who are completely unable to do any semblance of academic work at that university.

Not only are these kids academically challenged but they then have to live, sleep and eat around their sport.

Help me please. Are the SAT scores shown above on a 1600 point perfect base as they were when I took them in the 1950's?

ADVERTISEMENT