ADVERTISEMENT

UL vs UK this season

13/21 is about 63% if my math is correct. And I meant forward pass, but I think you knew that. Last year I saw a team that laid a lot of eggs all over the field. I may be wrong but I think UK had just barely over 300 yds of offense. I saw us use a 3rd string QB (started the season 4th string) torch your defense. I saw us drop a sure pick 6, give up a pick 6 and a blocked punt. So yeah we stunk the joint up at PJCS. You guys played well though and we were lucky to win. Still don't see what that has to do with this season. I didn't think they were particularly "evenly matched" last year. But again that has little to do with this year and I think we'll be a bit weaker. The point is you say the same thing every year: we lost LeFors, we lost Brohm, we lost Bridgewater, we lost Parker, et al. Plenty of people on this very site said last year we'd be fighting for bowl eligibility last year due to the improved schedule and no Teddy Bridgewater. We went 9-3 with 2 inexplicable losses, beat Notre Dame in South Bend, etc. I'm seeing the same "doom and gloom" predictions this year.

"Plenty of people on this site"? How many? Come on. You're the one exaggerating now. You gonna pick a few rival fans comments like that and then act like your team overachieved? Hell, every year you clowns say UK's basketball team isn't that great or whatever, you'll beat us, we'll lose tons of games, etc., but so what? Everyone knew that last year, with what UofL had coming back and a not so tough schedule, that 7-5 or worse would be a colossal disappointment.

I don't know if you wanna mention losing Brohm about "what we say every year". UK beat UofL 3 times in a row (4 including his last year) after you lost Brohm. So yeah, we said it and yeah we were right. But...Kragthorpe, right? Whatever. Honestly, I never thought Brohm was that good and predicted (correctly) that he'd be a bust in the NFL.

You guys have got the best of us lately and you should feel confident. That said, UK fans are starving for some positivity and we're seeing some talent come in that we haven't had in years and the program is clearly rising, so forgive us if we're not crawling into the corner, afraid of "Big Bad UofL" - A program that we feel you guys tout as "big time", yet you haven't knocked off a ranked team since Bridgewater was a sophomore. We face 6-8 teams better than you on our schedule pretty much every year. Sorry we don't bow down.

I don't think there was much difference in talent last year (other than D. Parker) and I feel like it's pretty even right now, and to be honest, I feel confident UK will win. I know that's hard for you guys to grasp (losing to UK in football) but you might want to prepare yourself for the possibility, cause I sure do like our chances.

UK dominated the LOS last year...UL dominated the UK secondary. UL also kept UKs passing game in check.

UL fans will hate to believe it, but the game was pretty evenly matched. They make excuses for the successful plays UK MADE in the game, but do not do the same for their own plays. UK picks off a pass, UL gave it to them...UL picks off pass, its because they were the superior team.

This is the year UK fans BELIEVE they will win...last year many believed there was an outside chance, but looked to this upcoming season with confidence...guess we wait until November.

It was good to see a 3rd string qb who had never played meaningful minutes light up that vaunted D filled with NFL talent. Also fun to see the scoreboard at the end. Congrats on Boom's 120 though. Another moral victory.

No doubt, winning is the objective, but just as UL fans were encouraged in Strong's debut loss to UK, UK fans have reason to feel good about the progression of Stoops's cats. There are no moral victories, but that does not mean we must ignore the obvious.

Bolin did an excellent job making quick decisions (realizing where Parker could be found). Parker was doing the work. And, you "2nd string" guy looked completely lost and confused. But, was just a true frosh and you too can have hope that he will get better.

UL fans can used 2nd/3rd string QB to describe players but they know it is BS. Bonnafon played ahead of Gardner in games where Gardner was NOT hurt...Bolin played in front of Bonnafon to start the bowl game when Bonnafon was available as well.

Truth is, they didn't quite know what direction to go in and tried to go with the hot hand - which in reality was 3 different QBs.

UL fans can used 2nd/3rd string QB to describe players but they know it is BS. Bonnafon played ahead of Gardner in games where Gardner was NOT hurt...Bolin played in front of Bonnafon to start the bowl game when Bonnafon was available as well.

Truth is, they didn't quite know what direction to go in and tried to go with the hot hand - which in reality was 3 different QBs.

That perception is simply not accurate in regards to Bolin. Going in to the UK game, Bolin was not a "hand" much less a "hot hand". The guy had only completed/attempts 4-7 passes all season prior to the UK game. He was a season long afterthought before the UK game. The UK game WAS his coming out party, and the only reason he was even an option for the bowl game.

Bonnafon played ahead of Gardner in games where Gardner was NOT hurt.

Which baffled me all year. Gardner was clearly better and I think if Petrino didn't wait so long to go to him we'd have beat Clemson. Heck of a coach but I don't get his Bonnafon love.

That perception is simply not accurate in regards to Bolin. Going in to the UK game, Bolin was not a "hand" much less a "hot hand". The guy had only completed/attempts 4-7 passes all season prior to the UK game. He was a season long afterthought before the UK game. The UK game WAS his coming out party, and the only reason he was even an option for the bowl game.

So I guess your reading comprehension and understanding is awful? He played over Bonnafon in the bowl game, when Bonnafon was available....usually 2nd/3rd stringers don't play ahead of someone ahead of them when the people ahead of them are available...meaning Bolin passed Bonnafon...same thing happened in earlier games with Gardner and Bonnafon...Clemson and Virginia come to mind.

So I guess your reading comprehension and understanding is awful? He played over Bonnafon in the bowl game, when Bonnafon was available....usually 2nd/3rd stringers don't play ahead of someone ahead of them when the people ahead of them are available...meaning Bolin passed Bonnafon...same thing happened in earlier games with Gardner and Bonnafon...Clemson and Virginia come to mind.

Comprehend this...YOU said, "Truth is, they didn't quite know what direction to go in and tried to go with the hot hand - which in reality was 3 different QBs. And my counter is that Bolin was NOT part of any 3 QB shuffle whatsoever going in to the UK game. Again...he and Nelson had both only completed/attempted 4-7 prior to the UK game. Your "3 different QB" comment in reference to Bolin playing in the UK game is simply inaccurate.

My take on last year's game was that Kentucky came in very well prepared and highly motivated, and Louisville came out flat. Kentucky punched Louisville in the mouth, and it took a while for Louisville to recover. It was a pretty even game. I don't think it has too much predictive value for this year, as both teams will have new faces, and it comes at the end of a long and difficult season. It should be a good game, and I'm pretty sure that Louisville will not come out flat this time. Both teams will be well prepared and highly motivated. Cards by 3.

Bolin was injured and missed the fall and early games. A few games before UK, some fans were pining for him, as he was finally healthy and they liked what they saw in limited minutes.

UK had a strong game plan for the indecisive Bonnafon. It did not translate well to Bolin, except for the 2 defensive TDs. Bolin zeroed in on Parker and Parker is a stud.

Comprehend this...YOU said, "Truth is, they didn't quite know what direction to go in and tried to go with the hot hand - which in reality was 3 different QBs. And my counter is that Bolin was NOT part of any 3 QB shuffle whatsoever going in to the UK game. Again...he and Nelson had both only completed/attempted 4-7 prior to the UK game. Your "3 different QB" comment in reference to Bolin playing in the UK game is simply inaccurate.

There is a saying among coaches and it is if you have 2 QBs you have no QB. I wonder what those coaches think when you are playing 3 QBs?

When did I say anything about referring to the UK game? Gardner wasn't even available for that game, yet I cited him as part of the shuffle.

Obviously me mentioning the Clemson, UVA and Georgia QB controversy games should've shown most that I was speaking on the whole seasons QB issues.

Some can't keep up.

When did I say anything about referring to the UK game? Gardner wasn't even available for that game, yet I cited him as part of the shuffle.

Obviously me mentioning the Clemson, UVA and Georgia QB controversy games should've shown most that I was speaking on the whole seasons QB issues.

Some can't keep up.

Last time I attempt to explain it to you. Bolin was not part of ANY QB shuffle, much less a controversy, all season long, including the aforementioned Clemson or UVA games. There was never a single point where UofL went into a game with Bolin as anything but an afterthought....until the bowl game...based on his completely surprising play in UK game. Your attempt to imply some type of season long 3 QB shuffle to suggest Bolin was somehow more prepared than a completely unheralded substitute in the UK game is completely off base. You have to have 3 QBs who have played meaningful snaps to have a 3 QB shuffle. 7 pass attempts in 11 games is NOT meaningful snaps for Bolin OR Nelson.

well for my part i never said they'd struggle to make a bowl. i thought 8 or 9 wins probable with 7 if things went bad and 10 if things went really good. but i brought up the talent point because there is a narrative at ul that all your players are better than all ours and that us thinking we can win this year is fantasy land. your 3rd string qb didn't torch us... he threw the dang ball up for grabs to the best player on the field and trusted him to make plays and he did. but as it relates to next year... boom will be back and parker won't. our o-line has 1 question mark (LT) and yours has 3 or 4 ???. we have 7 wr's who have shown they can play and you've got 1 with a bunch of ???.

i've watched a lot of games with a notable disparity in talent and our game last year wasn't one of them. you guys clearly had the best player last year but i dont expect that to be the case this year. you guys were overall more talented last year but not "overwhelming". we get most of our team back and a lot of those guys in that game were fr, rs fr, and soph's.

So if I understand correctly, we can't recover from losing our best player on offense. But you lose your 2 best players on an already bad defense, yet the defense will be much better? Makes sense

Last time I attempt to explain it to you. Bolin was not part of ANY QB shuffle, much less a controversy, all season long, including the aforementioned Clemson or UVA games. There was never a single point where UofL went into a game with Bolin as anything but an afterthought....until the bowl game...based on his completely surprising play in UK game. Your attempt to imply some type of season long 3 QB shuffle to suggest Bolin was somehow more prepared than a completely unheralded substitute in the UK game is completely off base. You have to have 3 QBs who have played meaningful snaps to have a 3 QB shuffle. 7 pass attempts in 11 games is NOT meaningful snaps for Bolin OR Nelson.
Never mentioned Nelson. Never said there was a season long QB shuffle. I said at parts of the season each of the 3 QBs shuffled and shifted to first string/2nd string.

Gardner started and Bonnafon replaced him in games, even when Gardner was available...they flipped back...Bolin stayed as QB in the bowl game, even though Bonnafon was available, due to riding the hot hand from the UK game.

To act like the coaches didn't at one point bench every QB (or decide not to use them-Bolin), and then name each starter over one another is silly UL fan stuff.

There was major QB controversy all season, with Bolin entering late. Even in the bowl game there was flip flopping. Thanks for explaining, but I obviously see this a little better than you do. Mentioning Nelson in any of this shows you are being hard headed and outmatched.

So if I understand correctly, we can't recover from losing our best player on offense. But you lose your 2 best players on an already bad defense, yet the defense will be much better? Makes sense
You play the victim well. Yes that's what I'm saying. In fact I'd be surprised if you score on us . .. we win by 50... happy now?

JHB guaranteed a win last year, in a similarly braggadocio manner. So, I guess we can chalk this year's game up as a win for UofL:)

UofL will definitely take a step back this year but it won't be the large step back that some on here expect. That being said, there is no way to analyze a game that is 6 months away and after 11 other games have been played. There will be casualties on both sides. There will be those that failed to develop as hoped for both squads and those that blossom quicker than expected. Of course I know that you all know this. Just adding my two cents. It's kinda funny reading all this discussion with all the uncertainties that are out there. Then again, I know there's not much else to discuss this time of year.

Reactions: mwatson61
UofL will definitely take a step back this year but it won't be the large step back that some on here expect. That being said, there is no way to analyze a game that is 6 months away and after 11 other games have been played. There will be casualties on both sides. There will be those that failed to develop as hoped for both squads and those that blossom quicker than expected. Of course I know that you all know this. Just adding my two cents. It's kinda funny reading all this discussion with all the uncertainties that are out there. Then again, I know there's not much else to discuss this time of year.
And that I can totally agree with

Reactions: mwatson61
Of all the units on both teams to make the most dramatic improvement, I think it will be the UK offense. It is the one squad that returns the most talent. If UL's defense takes any steps backwards, UK is going to exceed the points it scored in this game last year, unless the season takes an injury toll.

Excellent Point...Louisville has to get past Auburn, Florida State, Clemson and NC State before even thinking about Kentucky and the Wildcats have Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Missouri, Mississippi State to think about...point being the "Rivalry" is nice but the most important games for both are in their respective leagues...long way until Rivalry Week Nationally...

On the QB front, the painful thing for UK fans is that the injury to Bonnafon led to the UK loss. RB was clearly rattled and completely ineffective. I think UK wins last year going away if RB remained in the game.

Credit to Bolin for being ready and making the most of it. He wasn't rattled and was smart enough to throw it to the best player on the field often.

Who the hell knows about this year? UK should be quite a bit improved in most positions on the field. (DE being the huge exception) We'll see what happens.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
UL was favored by 14 last year, which I take to mean that the outcome of that game could reasonably have been expected to be anywhere from UK by single digits to UofL by 25+. I think UK fans being honest with themselves would acknowledge that UK played above its expected level that day. I think UofL fans being similarly honest would admit that Bonnafon's injury may have been the catalyst that helped them win the game (UK was making Bonnafon look in PJCS the way UofL's defense had made Deshaun Watson look in Death Valley).

Most people seem to agree that UK should be improved this season (to what degree is unknown). Most of the same people, even the UofL fans that have chimed in (and have been very reasonable for the most part), seem to expect the Cards to take at least a small step back. Kentucky fans are optimistic because the gap between the teams should be smaller and we only lost by 4 on the road in 2014.

For my part, I'm not sure the "closing of the gap," even in concert with the home field advantage, will be enough to negate what was perceived as a median 14 pt difference between the teams from last season, but one thing is clear: this year is UK's best chance to win this game in a half decade.

Reactions: Steelers2012
UL was favored by 14 last year, which I take to mean that the outcome of that game could reasonably have been expected to be anywhere from UK by single digits to UofL by 25+. I think UK fans being honest with themselves would acknowledge that UK played above its expected level that day. I think UofL fans being similarly honest would admit that Bonnafon's injury may have been the catalyst that helped them win the game (UK was making Bonnafon look in PJCS the way UofL's defense had made Deshaun Watson look in Death Valley).

Most people seem to agree that UK should be improved this season (to what degree is unknown). Most of the same people, even the UofL fans that have chimed in (and have been very reasonable for the most part), seem to expect the Cards to take at least a small step back. Kentucky fans are optimistic because the gap between the teams should be smaller and we only lost by 4 on the road in 2014.

For my part, I'm not sure the "closing of the gap," even in concert with the home field advantage, will be enough to negate what was perceived as a median 14 pt difference between the teams from last season, but one thing is clear: this year is UK's best chance to win this game in a half decade.

Very good take...as a Louisville Guy even though the Game is at the End of the Season even I will say all things being equal it is a Toss Up for Louisville....I see Kentucky no different then NC State-(FTR NC State won 8 Games last year including their Bowl Game) going into this year for Louisville...Both NC State and Kentucky are road games this year for Louisville...fully expect to beat Virginia at Home this year.

Last edited:

does that include last year's game... That was pretty damn close

Ummm, yes. Do you contend that we have a worse chance to win this year than last?
I would. We return more starters and more backups who played then you do. We are deeper at every spot except rb and should be improved at every position except jack and LT from last year. Not sure about your team because it is too early to put that much breakdown into it cause you still have guys your waiting on but for summer discussion purposes, I like our chances.

I would. We return more starters and more backups who played then you do. We are deeper at every spot except rb and should be improved at every position except jack and LT from last year. Not sure about your team because it is too early to put that much breakdown into it cause you still have guys your waiting on but for summer discussion purposes, I like our chances.

I think you are confused, johnnyrockets is a UK fan, not UofL. Pretty sure he is saying UK has the best chance to win this year. You are making the same argument he is...I think.

UK dominated the LOS last year...UL dominated the UK secondary. UL also kept UKs passing game in check.

UL fans will hate to believe it, but the game was pretty evenly matched. They make excuses for the successful plays UK MADE in the game, but do not do the same for their own plays. UK picks off a pass, UL gave it to them...UL picks off pass, its because they were the superior team.

This is the year UK fans BELIEVE they will win...last year many believed there was an outside chance, but looked to this upcoming season with confidence...guess we wait until November.

I don't really care if we were "even matched".....We still lost to Petrino, which is what we usually do....

Seriously, it is pathetic that UK, the state school, struggles to play "evenly matched" with the city school of UL. It is so freakin' pathetic it makes me sick.

I am so tired of playing second fiddle to a city school like UL and WKU when UK should have always been the dominant football power in the state.

I am sick of the excuses every single year.

I don't really care if we were "even matched".....We still lost to Petrino, which is what we usually do....

Seriously, it is pathetic that UK, the state school, struggles to play "evenly matched" with the city school of UL. It is so freakin' pathetic it makes me sick.

I am so tired of playing second fiddle to a city school like UL and WKU when UK should have always been the dominant football power in the state.

I am sick of the excuses every single year.
Grow up.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
what are foreward pads? and 8 to 13 and you act like its not even a game. when you watched the game last year, did it look like 2 pretty evenly matched teams and that you guys just had a couple players make more plays then we did? or did you really see a far superior card team that just laid eggs all over the field and we did nothing to keep it close right up to the final horn?
What clicked to me was that UL was the far superior team but did everything they could to hand the game to UK. I also saw a fired up UK team that was playing for a bowl bid come out and hit UL in the mouth.

Last edited:
Yes, UK took the field and UL shot themselves in the foot. UL should have won by 30. Because we know they turned right around and bashed UGA in the kisser, proving they were so much better than UK than they demonstrated.

Yes, UK took the field and UL shot themselves in the foot. UL should have won by 30. Because we know they turned right around and bashed UGA in the kisser, proving they were so much better than UK than they demonstrated.
Against Georgia UL saw what playing with a 3rd string QB was really like.

I think UL was disinterested in the bowl game.

No...we got the Georgia that blasted Missouri 34-0 @ Missouri...not the Georgia that got ran over by Florida. Chubb went off on a Defense that had 6 Players Drafted in the 2015 NFL Draft including LoZo and the winner of the Jim Thorpe Award and Consensus 1st Team All American in Gerod Holliman now with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bonnafon and Bolin played...one has to be 2nd string (even though Bonnafon took Gardners job early in the season)...do you just use the 3rd string excuse when convenient? Also, UGAs starting QB went down in the 2nd quarter....so they were working with a 2nd stringer as well.

Many UL fans called for Bonnafon when Gardner was in, many called for Gardner when Bonnafon was in and then the last couple games the same thing happened with Bolin and Bonnafon....Bolin struggles vs UGA, "put in Bonnafon", Bonnafon comes in for a series, throws a pick "why didn't you stick with Bolin?"........

Against Georgia, you saw what playing defense against Nick Chubb was like.

Reactions: boowee

does that include last year's game

No...we got the Georgia that blasted Missouri 34-0 @ Missouri...not the Georgia that got ran over by Florida. Chubb went off on a Defense that had 6 Players Drafted in the 2015 NFL Draft including LoZo and the winner of the Jim Thorpe Award and Consensus 1st Team All American in Gerod Holliman now with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
So maybe your run defense will not be as good next year and with us expecting an improved run game... you can see where we think we have a good shot next year?

We return 8 or 9 starters on D and 7 or 8 on O (badet would of started but was out last year). You lose all this otherworldly talent and your gonna just plug and play like osu or

14 put spread last year.. do you think that line moves up or down this year?

Yeah, not believable. UGA beat down Clemson in a similar fashion. While close, Clemson beat UL. I think the UGA win over UL was indicative of the teams and not one QB. When FSU got thumped by Oregon, the picture of the ACC became a little clearer.

I think one thing about the game last year has been overlooked. The second half of the season UK played like a tired team due to youth, lack of depth and a tough schedIle. The week off before the Card game restored some legs. UK has more experience and odepth this year. I believe UK will benefit more than some Card fans expect.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT