ADVERTISEMENT

UL vs UK this season

Catfanforlife87,

I understand that the bottom 2/3 of the ACC is not as strong as other conferences. But it's still stronger than the Big East and the schedule is tougher than UL is accustomed to playing.

Going into the UK game next season, UL could easily have 6 losses.

Auburn
Clemson
NC State
FSU
Virginia
Pitt

And as far as that goes, Houston won't be an easy game. And Wake Forest looks to be improved as well.

UL is gonna have a rude awakening next year. And quite possibly could come into Commonwealth needing to win to make a bowl game. Of course, I put nothing by jurich. So if UL comes in needing to win that game, I expect to see Bridgewater trot out on the field.

Wasn't the rude awakening supposed to be last year?

Reactions: teamcanada
Last year coach Stoops did not have the talent yet. This year every position on the field will be much improved including DE. Dupree and Smith were drafted high, but they were not a good fit for Mark Stoops' schemes

I just do not see how that UofL doesn't take a big step back this season with all of the players that they lost to graduation and early entry into the NFL. The loss of Parker alone was huge.

UK played them pretty much even on their home field and was a dropped interception by McWilson from likely beating them. I just do not think UofL will have enough of the shady transfers and JUCOs to compensate for their losses

IMO UK will beat the Cards this season. It is however a crap shoot picking the winner of the last game of the season when so much can happen in the first eleven games injuries and just plain weariness from a long schedule . IMO depth is going to be big in this game and IMO UK has more quality depth than UofL. I do know the Birdies will be in a den of win hungary Cats that are looking to defeather them and roast them on a spit.

UK will win this game by double digits. UK was the better team last year, and UL is not coming into Commonwealth and winning.
I believe last year's Kentucky and Louisville teams were not as unequal in overall strength as rankings and perceptions suggested they were. But each team had different strengths and weaknesses. At that late point in the season when they played each other, Kentucky was on a long losing streak that drained our fans' confidence and brought people to believe that Louisville was the far superior team. Some believe last season was a down year for the SEC. That may be true, but I believe last season was also a down year in the ACC. In any year, the SEC is a much better football league than the ACC. I was not surprised when Kentucky almost beat Louisville. Actually, we should have won the game. Now, this year, I still think the 2 teams are similar in overall strength, but again with different strengths and weaknesses. This year, Kentucky will win. It will be a good game, but Kentucky will win because of the home field advantage, better depth, a better kicking game, and a more effective passing game.

still doesn't change the fact that we were beat up and several guys had surgery after that game from lingering injuries during the season. also doesn't change the fact that we will be deeper at every position on the field except rb this year.
The term "Beat Up" applies to all Power 5 teams at the end of the year. Again, it's a rivalry game, throw the records out the door.

Huguenin, Hatcher, Forrest, Flannigan, Lewis, Elam, Meant, Miggins, Bell, CJ Johnson, Ware, Daniel, Firios, Jones, and Walker all are going to have a great chance to play on Sunday at some point.

Holy cow! 15 NFL prospects on one side of the ball? Can we borrow a few guys? Might make the game more interesting.

Holy cow! 15 NFL prospects on one side of the ball? Can we borrow a few guys? Might make the game more interesting.

With your great vast knowledge of NFL prospects....who would you take off the list?

Please share we are waiting...explain which ones do NOT have the ability to make it to the NFL one day?

Great recruting, outstanding strength and conditioning program, innovative play calling like trick plays, reverses, and flea-flickers equals a football program with a huge upside.
Coach Stoops and the staff should be proud of what they built in a few short years.

Wildcard,

If I'm not mistaken, you posted in a thread a couple of weeks ago saying you are unsure of how much better UK's offense can be because of poor O-line play. Yet you are now pretending that UL will be "shaky" because of questionable O-line play. The truth is, I'm concerned about UK's O-line but I would still take them over UL's. I think most unbiased UL fans would as well. The offense for UL next year will be bad and that's putting it nicely...

UL is gonna have a rude awakening next year. And quite possibly could come into Commonwealth needing to win to make a bowl game. Of course, I put nothing by jurich. So if UL comes in needing to win that game, I expect to see Bridgewater trot out on the field.

Yeah, that sounds like something I said. I have also noted, on many occasions, the most important unit on ANY football team is O-line. By that I mean good O-line play makes everybody else better, including the defense. The Cards lose I believe 3 guys from an O-line that was very mediocre; the Cats return 4 guys from an O-line that was very mediocre as well. Last year, the Cards returned a number of O-line starters from the 2013 season; the line play in 2013 was (IMO) pretty pedestrian and did not improve much (if at all) in 2014. The point being that "experience" does not automatically make you better. But, yes, if I had to pick one O-line group over the other i would choose UK's and hope the experience factor does pay off.

Neither team set the world on fire offensively last year. IMO, BOTH teams need better O-line play to be better offensively. Outstanding QB play (e.g., checks, quick release; pocket presence, etc.) can mitigate O-line issues but certainly won't eliminate them. Unfortunately, Teddy Bridgewater ain't walking' thru that door. ;) CBP will really have to work some offensive magic this year.

As I said, the Cards will take a step back this year but I don't think it will be as big a step back as many here seem to believe. To be truthful I have not really looked very hard at the schedule and the returning "strength" of their opponents (other than UK, of course). I will wait at least until Phil Steele pre-season rag hits the stands before offering any W/L "predictions" for either team. But with Auburn, Clemson and FSU in the first 6 the Cards will almost certainly need 3 wins in the back half of the season to be bowl eligible.

Peace

With your great vast knowledge of NFL prospects....who would you take off the list?

Please share we are waiting...explain which ones do NOT have the ability to make it to the NFL one day?

I'm not the one who says they are.....really what is it based upon? Dude said they have a "great chance" and I'm asking what that's based upon. Sure I guess they all COULD but just throwing out 15 names and saying they all have a "great chance yo play on Sundays" without more doesn't make it so

I'm not the one who says they are.....really what is it based upon? Dude said they have a "great chance" and I'm asking what that's based upon. Sure I guess they all COULD but just throwing out 15 names and saying they all have a "great chance yo play on Sundays" without more doesn't make it so

How about based on the fact they were considered talented coming into College....what they do from there depends on them of course.

I may not have used "great chance" ....but the potential is there.

Well then the same can be said for almost every kid playing major college football.

Well of course it can that's been a given for a long time.

Randle Cobb being a prime example, recruiting to a degree is a crap shot.

That's were coaches who know what the hell they are doing are successful...and others suck at it.

There are plenty of under the radar players, but you cant build a College program based on that.

The term "Beat Up" applies to all Power 5 teams at the end of the year. Again, it's a rivalry game, throw the records out the door.

i agree but we had guys playing a lot of snaps last year due to lack of depth at some positions and the depth issue should be much better for UK this season. we had 3 or 4 guys who required surgery and thats a bit more than usual "beat up".

I would like to apologize to the UofL fans posting in this thread. I don't know what caused me to post that UofL might take a big step back.

Heck ask any UofL fan and they will tell you that all of their returning players are better than those that departed, that they are going to have 22 all Americans in their starting line up this season and that their coach is the greatest offensive mind ever. I do not know what I was thinking when I posted that UK just might have a chance to beat such a college football power house playing them at home in a renovated CWS.:confused:;) Oh well I guess we will just have to show up to take our beating and pray for a miracle.;);)

The trending is what is important, UK is trending up, UL down. As UKErik said, the series seems to be going in chunks of four, UL four straight, UK four straight, UL four straight (thanks to hurtt and jurich willing to do anything to win), now it is UK's turn.

And I doubt very much if UL ever comes close to winning four straight against UK ever again. I think UK is fortunate to have UL as our Big 5 OOC foe in the long run.

I might be crazy to ask for clarification here, but how is a team that had 15 players just sign NFL contracts, had there last class reclassified at 28th, that has great front 7 on D, with what Athlon said might be the best group of LB's in college football be trending down? Is it that they return 4 qualified QB's while adding a solid 4* at the position. Is it the reason that the defensive backfield is completely depleted, just like it was last year? I am sorry but is this a National perception I was not aware of. Anyway the guys at Campus Insiders disagree.

I guess I will get reported now for disagreeing.

After reading this entire thread, a couple points that should be considered:

• Difficult to assess UL during their spring game. Other than at QB and oline, it probably was more of a 1's & 2's vs 3's & walk-ons than it was a true 1's vs 2's, so obviously one team was going to walk over the other. Just as an example, looking at the defense alone, only 1 of the 4 projected starters at LB (Kelsey) even played. Keith Brown, Treyvon Young, and James Burgess all sat out. Also, Dawson-Brents, who is competing for a starting spot as well, didn't play either, nor did TCU transfer Devontre Fields, who most expect to beat out young at the starting Will (Jack) LB spot. At DB, a couple probable starters (Jermaine Reve & Wiggins) didn't play. And couple of guys who are competing for starting spots rotated reps with the so called 1's (this is also common at RB & WR). So what you primarily got were majority of so-called 2's were guys that won't see the field at all this fall.
  • If UGA transfer CB Wiggins is only 160 pounds and runs a 4.8 40, how in the world was he a 4-star recruit that started most of the season as a true freshman at Georgia? Ahhhh, the power of exaggeration on message boards!
  • Many say UK was a dropped INT away from a possible win last year. That's true, but it's also true it was an INT away (UK pick-6 or Gaines would-be pick-6 if he hadn't dropped - you pick which one) from its third straight double-digit loss to UL, or a late dropped punt (by Trent Guy in 2009) and broken coverage (Stevie got loose in '07) away from losing its last 8 straight at CWS (and 10 of 12). The what-if game can be fun to play.
  • Of the 15 guys that were said to have a great chance to play on Sundays, how many of those guys have already proven they can play on Saturdays? In other words, which have put up good numbers in their college careers thus far, and compare that with the numbers already put up by those front 7 guys from UL. When you do that, I think it becomes clear why many feel UL's front 7 to be superior at this point.

I might be crazy to ask for clarification here, but how is a team that had 15 players just sign NFL contracts, had there last class reclassified at 28th, that has great front 7 on D, with what Athlon said might be the best group of LB's in college football be trending down? Is it that they return 4 qualified QB's while adding a solid 4* at the position. Is it the reason that the defensive backfield is completely depleted, just like it was last year? I am sorry but is this a National perception I was not aware of. Anyway the guys at Campus Insiders disagree.

we dont ban people over here the way that your board does. but that is no big deal to me.

i think most of us have said that you should have a really good front 7 and that your overall D will still be good but i would think that even a diehard ul fan would admit that the D takes at least a small step back this year? ul allowed over 100 yards rushing 5 of the last 6 games and only allowed 1 the first 5. so i believe that ul was slightly overrated defensively last year and once they stepped up in comp the stats went down to a more realistic ranking.

you are expecting transfers and jucos to come and play at a high level right away and it doesn't always happen that way. cb and safety are gonna be good for run support but it remains to be seen how well your backs do in coverage. your o-line is gonna be average at best ,qb and wr are not gonna be all world, rb is greatly overrated i believe (i'll take our 3 over your 3 but im sure you disagree), and your overall depth is gonna be down from last year. only a few of our posters think you guys are gonna free fall but the rest of us believe that last year was very close and we think we are gonna be better at every position group except for maybe cb and that you guys will have a couple improved areas but a few are not gonna be as good.

Well, look at your first sentence, you did lose 15 players sign NFL contracts didn't you? Weren't a lot of your fans talking about a NATIONAL championship a couple of years ago, reduced to an ACC championship last year (which you didn't come close to despite the 15 NFL players), and how many are talking about winning the ACC this year?

Meanwhile, UK won TWO games, both OOC gimmes for two years in a row, won a couple of SEC games last year, and most expect us to go bowling this year.

UK had TEN four stars commit in 14, four of whom redshirted, and I think this staff has proven they know how to recruit based on the large number of players that blow up after UK is the first to offer them. How many in your classes since the biggest cheater in the history of college recruiting got four four stars from the beaches of Miami, plus OVER half of that year's commits from Florida. Some underrated but very talented players in the UK's next class, a great start on the 16 class which could blow up also, especially if UK starts to win some games.

Besides, sooner or later, I expect some of Transfer U's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chance risks to blow up also-----in their face. Several have already, but most of that is never reported.

I believe UK has gotten better. I also believe UofL could take a step back. Do I think it is a trend? Not at all. Guys the trend is both clubs are improving. Louisville lost a lot this year. Sure we could lose another game or so this year. We could also go 10-2. Who knows, it's May! Looking forward to a lot of exciting games before UK comes along.

I will answer part of my question for you, UL got ZERO four stars in the 14 class after TWELVE of Charlie's commits decommitted. Also your 15 class has JC transfers for a FOURTH of it, including one of your four stars that no legitimate University would take, JC's are OK for filling holes, but not generally considered the way to build a program.

UL has ZERO four star commits in the 16 class also so far, while Miami, FSU, and Clemson have a combined 17-----and maybe more importantly, three five stars------so far.

Good luck with your hopes of winning your conference in the near future, of course UK won't anytime soon either, but the trends of the two programs ARE in opposite directions.

After reading this entire thread, a couple points that should be considered:

• Difficult to assess UL during their spring game. Other than at QB and oline, it probably was more of a 1's & 2's vs 3's & walk-ons than it was a true 1's vs 2's, so obviously one team was going to walk over the other. Just as an example, looking at the defense alone, only 1 of the 4 projected starters at LB (Kelsey) even played. Keith Brown, Treyvon Young, and James Burgess all sat out. Also, Dawson-Brents, who is competing for a starting spot as well, didn't play either, nor did TCU transfer Devontre Fields, who most expect to beat out young at the starting Will (Jack) LB spot. At DB, a couple probable starters (Jermaine Reve & Wiggins) didn't play. And couple of guys who are competing for starting spots rotated reps with the so called 1's (this is also common at RB & WR). So what you primarily got were majority of so-called 2's were guys that won't see the field at all this fall.
  • If UGA transfer CB Wiggins is only 160 pounds and runs a 4.8 40, how in the world was he a 4-star recruit that started most of the season as a true freshman at Georgia? Ahhhh, the power of exaggeration on message boards!
  • Many say UK was a dropped INT away from a possible win last year. That's true, but it's also true it was an INT away (UK pick-6 or Gaines would-be pick-6 if he hadn't dropped - you pick which one) from its third straight double-digit loss to UL, or a late dropped punt (by Trent Guy in 2009) and broken coverage (Stevie got loose in '07) away from losing its last 8 straight at CWS (and 10 of 12). The what-if game can be fun to play.
  • Of the 15 guys that were said to have a great chance to play on Sundays, how many of those guys have already proven they can play on Saturdays? In other words, which have put up good numbers in their college careers thus far, and compare that with the numbers already put up by those front 7 guys from UL. When you do that, I think it becomes clear why many feel UL's front 7 to be superior at this point.

I will address Wiggins first, he is a camp warrior, he can do those DB drills as good as anyone, he just can't cover anyone. How big do you think he is, maybe he has gained some weight, but he was rail thin and the smallest guy on the field, look like a child out there, played like one too. But he will talk the talk, he just can't back it up. Who knows, maybe UGA will play UofL in a bowl next year and we will have someone besides Grantham to make look silly, I doubt he would even make an attempt to tackle Chubb and he for damn sure can't catch him, but he can run up and talk trash to him, which is fine if you can back it up.

I know you were the UofL poster who said UL might have the best set of LB in the country next year, are you replacing all 4 of the ones we, UGA, played? The ones we played against laid down and quit on you, so by him saying that I have to think you have 4 new starters this year because that group was bottom 3 we faced last year.

Reactions: Onomatopoeia
Well jauk11 I guess we should just go ahead and mail the trophy back and let UK keep it forever. I guess our end is near. No need to play the game.

I will address Wiggins first, he is a camp warrior, he can do those DB drills as good as anyone, he just can't cover anyone. How big do you think he is, maybe he has gained some weight, but he was rail thin and the smallest guy on the field, look like a child out there, played like one too. But he will talk the talk, he just can't back it up. Who knows, maybe UGA will play UofL in a bowl next year and we will have someone besides Grantham to make look silly, I doubt he would even make an attempt to tackle Chubb and he for damn sure can't catch him, but he can run up and talk trash to him, which is fine if you can back it up.

I know you were the UofL poster who said UL might have the best set of LB in the country next year, are you replacing all 4 of the ones we, UGA, played? The ones we played against laid down and quit on you, so by him saying that I have to think you have 4 new starters this year because that group was bottom 3 we faced last year.

No, it was not me that said anything about UL's LBs being best in country. You're confusing me with someone else. But I do like our LBs.

Regarding the Wiggins kid, I've never watched him play, so I don't know if he can run or guard anybody or not. I didn't watch spring practices until the last week, and he was out with a dislocated elbow. I do know this, though, if he plays like you say, then he won't play at Louisville. The 160 is believable, since that was 1.5 yrs ago and he is only listed at 171 today, but I have a sneaky suspicion that you're stretching the truth a bit on his 40 time, and his abilities. If he was really that bad of a player, then why did Georgia play him, and why would Grantham bring him to Louisville? Are you telling me the University of Georgia didn't have better players to play that spot than a "160-LB true freshmen that runs 4.8 40 and can't guard anybody?" No offense, but do you know how silly that sounds?

I think a lot more believable scenario is that a young & talented & cocky kid came in, earned a spot, but showed his immaturity with a lot of mistakes, and along with his fellow inexperienced secondary, was thrown under the bus by the fans for a crappy 3rd down defense that cost the team a few wins. If he is really what you say, though, then we won't have to worry about him in next years' game, because he won't be on the field.

Reactions: mwatson61

Four qualified QBs? Not really sure what that means. If you had 4 good QBs, the fact that you have a four star committed would be irrelevant. I am not sure you have four upper tier QBs on campus and they better put together an OLine or you will need all five.

Grumpy,
Not trying to argue with you, or call you out or anything, just thought your comments about Wiggins' speed & cover skills sounded exaggerated due to the fact he was small, but rated very highly and started at a school like Ga as a true frosh.

But for the record, if you go back and read my posts, I haven't ever talked this Wiggins kid up. I believe I stated UL's front 7 will be strong, but questions exist at CB. I think the poster who complimented the LB group so highly was a UK fan who assessed each unit and gave one side a "big advantage" grade. LB group is very nice, but I have no idea how they stack up against the rest of the nation.

Heck I'm not much into moral victories, but I'll be thrilled if we're able to score on a D loaded with NFL talent.

Likewise, it was fun watching Boom run for 120 on a defense that had 7 or so guys in NFL camps. And, fun to see Reggie run for his life with 2 NFL OLineman for the Cards. All good signs for a young Cat squad.

Likewise, it was fun watching Boom run for 120 on a defense that had 7 or so guys in NFL camps. And, fun to see Reggie run for his life with 2 NFL OLineman for the Cards. All good signs for a young Cat squad.
Well that of course is why they play the actual games. Some prefer that we just count stars.

Well jauk11 I guess we should just go ahead and mail the trophy back and let UK keep it forever. I guess our end is near. No need to play the game.

That sounds good to me, just let me know where to send it and I will cover the postage.

On a more serious note, it is a rivalry game, and certainly the two teams are still close enough in talent that no one can predict the outcome with any certainty.

And no, I want all the games to be played, I think I will enjoy most of them.

Reactions: Cardfan1963

It was good to see a 3rd string qb who had never played meaningful minutes light up that vaunted D filled with NFL talent. Also fun to see the scoreboard at the end. Congrats on Boom's 120 though. Another moral victory.

I've enjoyed 13 of the 21 in the
modern series. You guys dominated pre- foreward pads though.
what are foreward pads? and 8 to 13 and you act like its not even a game. when you watched the game last year, did it look like 2 pretty evenly matched teams and that you guys just had a couple players make more plays then we did? or did you really see a far superior card team that just laid eggs all over the field and we did nothing to keep it close right up to the final horn?

what are foreward pads? and 8 to 13 and you act like its not even a game. when you watched the game last year, did it look like 2 pretty evenly matched teams and that you guys just had a couple players make more plays then we did? or did you really see a far superior card team that just laid eggs all over the field and we did nothing to keep it close right up to the final horn?

13/21 is about 63% if my math is correct. And I meant forward pass, but I think you knew that. Last year I saw a team that laid a lot of eggs all over the field. I may be wrong but I think UK had just barely over 300 yds of offense. I saw us use a 3rd string QB (started the season 4th string) torch your defense. I saw us drop a sure pick 6, give up a pick 6 and a blocked punt. So yeah we stunk the joint up at PJCS. You guys played well though and we were lucky to win. Still don't see what that has to do with this season. I didn't think they were particularly "evenly matched" last year. But again that has little to do with this year and I think we'll be a bit weaker. The point is you say the same thing every year: we lost LeFors, we lost Brohm, we lost Bridgewater, we lost Parker, et al. Plenty of people on this very site said last year we'd be fighting for bowl eligibility last year due to the improved schedule and no Teddy Bridgewater. We went 9-3 with 2 inexplicable losses, beat Notre Dame in South Bend, etc. I'm seeing the same "doom and gloom" predictions this year.

13/21 is about 63% if my math is correct. And I meant forward pass, but I think you knew that. Last year I saw a team that laid a lot of eggs all over the field. I may be wrong but I think UK had just barely over 300 yds of offense. I saw us use a 3rd string QB (started the season 4th string) torch your defense. I saw us drop a sure pick 6, give up a pick 6 and a blocked punt. So yeah we stunk the joint up at PJCS. You guys played well though and we were lucky to win. Still don't see what that has to do with this season. I didn't think they were particularly "evenly matched" last year. But again that has little to do with this year and I think we'll be a bit weaker. The point is you say the same thing every year: we lost LeFors, we lost Brohm, we lost Bridgewater, we lost Parker, et al. Plenty of people on this very site said last year we'd be fighting for bowl eligibility last year due to the improved schedule and no Teddy Bridgewater. We went 9-3 with 2 inexplicable losses, beat Notre Dame in South Bend, etc. I'm seeing the same "doom and gloom" predictions this year.
well for my part i never said they'd struggle to make a bowl. i thought 8 or 9 wins probable with 7 if things went bad and 10 if things went really good. but i brought up the talent point because there is a narrative at ul that all your players are better than all ours and that us thinking we can win this year is fantasy land. your 3rd string qb didn't torch us... he threw the dang ball up for grabs to the best player on the field and trusted him to make plays and he did. but as it relates to next year... boom will be back and parker won't. our o-line has 1 question mark (LT) and yours has 3 or 4 ???. we have 7 wr's who have shown they can play and you've got 1 with a bunch of ???.

i've watched a lot of games with a notable disparity in talent and our game last year wasn't one of them. you guys clearly had the best player last year but i dont expect that to be the case this year. you guys were overall more talented last year but not "overwhelming". we get most of our team back and a lot of those guys in that game were fr, rs fr, and soph's.

No one in their right mind has said that all of UL's players are better and more talented than all of UK's players. But you're claiming that all of UK's young guys can play but none of UL's can and that remains to be seen. I sure like our chances.

ADVERTISEMENT