ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs. USC, jr. (Sun)

KYBallCoach

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2010
Walk off homerun ends the BatCats chances of salvaging a game in the series. Well, not the best start for SEC but we live to play another day! I still love the BatCats and while no series loss is easy to swallow, I will still keep supporting them!!

Let's believe we can turn this tough start around! Keep believing!!

The Cats don't have that power hitter like they have had in recent years. USC swept them because they consistently hit the ball over the fence in all 3 games.

I agree Gabe! Losing AJ's production was a huge loss.We are in a BIG BOY conference trying to play small ball. I know Cohen had success playing small ball or maybe a better phrase would be manufacturing runs but we had some big time power with Strieby (sorry for the spelling if I butchered it). He was a very nice player and that was a great run and season.

Another troubling trend is the bullpen. Spencer Jack is not throwing the same as last season. In The SEC, you have to have a dominant stopper, so far UK does not have one.so far the veteran pitchers have failed so Henderson may have to go to som newcomers for the pen in future SEC games.

The turnaround has to start this weekend by winning 2 of 3 vs Miss State or it will be a long season for the Batcats.

Originally posted by Gabewcat:
Another troubling trend is the bullpen. Spencer Jack is not throwing the same as last season. In The SEC, you have to have a dominant stopper, so far UK does not have one.so far the veteran pitchers have failed so Henderson may have to go to som newcomers for the pen in future SEC games.

The turnaround has to start this weekend by winning 2 of 3 vs Miss State or it will be a long season for the Batcats.
Jack had some nasty stuff last year...very disappointing that is seems to have dropped off so far.

The other problem besides the bullpen is the lack of timely hitting. And it's been bad for a while now, too. Sunday's game, Top 10th, bases loaded, 1 out and they got a K and a F7. You can't win if you don't drive those runs in. One of the things I miss about Cohen is that his teams hit and drive in runs. Under the Henderson regime, they get hits, but they leave them on base. And what frustrates me even more is if you're struggling to score runs, why not try small ball? I just don't get it why you don't pull out all of the stops when you're struggling at something.

With the offense assembled, you'd think a lot of running, hit & run, squeeze, fundamental Sac flies, moving runners over hitting oppo etc...and with the lack of pop from the plate, you'd think these guys would be almost perfect in the field high fielding % and smart pitching.

I don't see any of that. We still throw/boot plenty of runs away and it takes us 3+ hits to score a run in an inning...

It takes guts to straight steal, H&R, squeeze - but this team HAS to, because it seems like the long ball and hitting gaps isn't going to be the norm against decent teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT