ADVERTISEMENT

UK to play New Mexico State in 2016.

New Mexico State, Really!?!? I live here in Las Cruces, NM., the home of the Aggies.

this is a good upgrade from d3 schools without being a freaking guaranteed loss like osu would be.

this is a good upgrade from d3 schools without being a freaking guaranteed loss like osu would be.

Not an upgrade. A lot of FCS schools are better. They are terrible. 25-78 over the past 10 years. On a related note, former UK QB Doug Martin is their head coach and Hal Mumme coached them for a few years.

Not an upgrade. A lot of FCS schools are better. They are terrible. 25-78 over the past 10 years. On a related note, former UK QB Doug Martin is their head coach and Hal Mumme coached them for a few years.
but they are counted different in the bcs (or whatever its called) formula. this win counts and only 1 fcs team counts if im remembering right.

I don't mind seeing some teams we are not used to seeing. No way is this the time to bring in a team that is a major threat to beat us. We need all the wins we can get the next few years.

seems like Doug Martin was HC of another OOC team against UK back in the '00's. maybe Kent St?

our '16 OOC is 1 1-AA team, 2 D1 teams (NM St & S Miss), and 1 ACC team. just about right for now, hopefully as the program explodes it can be slightly upgraded starting in '17 & '18.

This is a nice OOC schedule. Still have the 1-AA team, and 1 ACC team. Southern Miss from C-USA should be a step up from this years C-USA team (Charlotte). Then, replace the usual MAC team with a WAC school. Like to finally see a little change in the schedule.

I don't mind this. I would like to see us schedule games with teams from recruiting hot beds though.

I'm usually not one for taking things for granted but New Mexico State is truly a game we can just mail in if there ever was one. This will almost be like a bye week for us.

I'm out here in Las Cruces (for the next month) as we speak. They play Florida and Ole Miss this year.

I always thought Cincinnati would be a good OOC opponent. They are a respected team nearly the same proximity from UK that Louisville is. Even though they are a good team, I think UK would likely beat them this year and going forward. The two schools played regularly while the Bear was coach in the 1950s, haven't met up since 1996 though. I like games where the schools are in close proximity...it seems to make them more intense even where there isn't a true rivalry.

Last edited:
I always thought Cincinnati would be a good OOC opponent. They are a respected team nearly the same proximity from UK that Louisville is. Even though they are a good team, I think UK would likely beat them this year and going forward. The two schools played regularly while the Bear was coach in the 1950s, haven't met up since 1996 though. I like games where the schools are in close proximity...it seems to make them more intense even where there isn't a true rivalry.
It would be a good game, I just don't know what we stand to gain from it. We're already above them on the Ohio recruiting food chain, and they aren't a power 5 school. I'd rather play Rutgers, Penn St, Michigan, etc than Cincy.

It would be a good game, I just don't know what we stand to gain from it. We're already above them on the Ohio recruiting food chain, and they aren't a power 5 school. I'd rather play Rutgers, Penn St, Michigan, etc than Cincy.

Rutgers would be an interesting game to try and tap in to the New Jersey area recruits more. Maybe also play Maryland.

I don't get it. I know you want to schedule a win but, other than that, I can't see what NM State is about. They are just terrible. They have 1 winning season in the past 15 years and have won a total of 5 games the past 3 years. Steel ranks them 120th for the 2015 campaign. Wouldn't a MAC team or a closer to home Sun Belt/CUSA team make more sense?

Peace

I don't get it. I know you want to schedule a win but, other than that, I can't see what NM State is about. They are just terrible. They have 1 winning season in the past 15 years and have won a total of 5 games the past 3 years. Steel ranks them 120th for the 2015 campaign. Wouldn't a MAC team or a closer to home Sun Belt/CUSA team make more sense?

Peace

I believe Louisville played New Mexico State BEFORE the Kentucky game one year, marking the first time neither team opened with each other since the rivalry was renewed in 94.

Yet years later Cards cried when we didnt want it first game :rolleyes:

Just visibility mostly and the opportunity for a good OOC game that would still likely be a UK win. I think any time you can get into Ohio it's a good thing for recruiting. In that same vein, I think UK should try to schedule some neutral site games at Paul Brown Stadium and that sort of thing for the future.

Just visibility mostly and the opportunity for a good OOC game that would still likely be a UK win. I think any time you can get into Ohio it's a good thing for recruiting. In that same vein, I think UK should try to schedule some neutral site games at Paul Brown Stadium and that sort of thing for the future.

You and I agree on that point as well.

Love it.. this is a game that we should win yet we won't be laughed at for playing, even though they have been pretty bad lately.

Honestly, before reading about them, I had no idea they were that terrible as I'm sure a lot of people dont. So a victory over them in ooc play will not be joked like a victory over Charlotte would.

Having said that, the people calling for the osu and Michigan and Penn states have lost there minds.. those are the LAST type of teams UK should try to play.

I wouldn't mind seeing us bring back the Indiana rivalry

Peace

I'm not sure why it would make any difference. It would be a win either way.

I believe Louisville played New Mexico State BEFORE the Kentucky game one year, marking the first time neither team opened with each other since the rivalry was renewed in 94.

Yet years later Cards cried when we didnt want it first game :rolleyes:
Yeah, it was NM State. Ugly game, IIRC. That was back in the day (2001) of the 11 game regular season schedule and the Cards had the opportunity to host a one off 12th game called the John Thompson Classic (go figure ???). I always supported the 1st game scenario. Less important now with the Cards and Cats being part of the ACC-SEC Rivals week.

FWIW, CBP has said he wants to regularly schedule a "big" opener; says it makes kids work harder and have more focus in summer practice.

Peace

I agree, would love to play Marshall at PBS !

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
ADVERTISEMENT