ADVERTISEMENT

UK defeats Xavier.....

CloverforkCat

Junior
Jun 3, 2013
Cats defeat the Muskies tonight 6-1 at the Cliff. UK went with Kyle Cody on the mound, he went 4 innings and gave up 1 hit and 1 walk, and actually got the win.
All the runs were scored in the 1st five innings, and after that the game slowed quite a bit. Cats improve to 23-16, and head to Florida this weekend. Xavier, an NCAA tourney team last year, drops to 10-30.

Would be huge to get the series win against Florida. Interested to see who Henderson goes with on Sunday. Probably Nelson, but wouldn't be surprised if Zach Logue earned a start at some point if they plan to keep Cody in the bullpen. He's been valuable out of the bullpen lately so they may want to keep him there.

It's still a year away but I'd expect to see Logue as the Friday or Saturday starter next year. Zach Pop is probably the front runner to get the other spot. Beggs and Cody likely go to the draft and Zack Brown will be the Sunday starter.

The top of our lineup is pretty darn hot, but the middle of our lineup really needs to pick it up. 9 of the 11 hits yesterday came from the fist 4 hitters. Have to love that, but Dorian, Storm, and Bernie going hitless is pretty tough. Not really terrible days for them, as they did get some walks and I think they only got to the plate 3 times, but I'd still like to see at least one hit between them.

What has happened to Storm Wilson ? I had high hopes that he would blossom into an all SEC type this season, but he is batting south of .250, and has been beaten out by Dorian hairston in RF, and he isn't even getting to DH much either.

What has happened to Storm Wilson ? I had high hopes that he would blossom into an all SEC type this season, but he is batting south of .250, and has been beaten out by Dorian hairston in RF, and he isn't even getting to DH much either.
He has a season of tendencies and weaknesses in the books...sophomore slump can be huge in baseball as scouting reports are no joke. Without any inside knowledge, that would be my guess.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
You also have to remember that several good hitters really help out poorer ones. When you have dangerous hitters like Austin Cousino, AJ Reed, and Max Kuhn the opponents are not going to give them great stuff to hit. They would rather walk those guys, especially the two latter ones. So, the hitters after those players are often times going to get better pitches. This year we have some dangerous guys, but none that other teams worry about in terms of home run power. I mean, Shelby leads the team with just 5 freaking homers. We finished last year with 60 home runs and this year we have just 19. So, pitchers aren't too afraid to go after any batter in the lineup. So, someone like Wilson may not be seeing the same pitches he did last year. Last year Reed and Kuhn were probably getting more pitches on the outside and more junk. When they were walked, which happened 49 times to Reed and 43 to Kuhn, the opposing pitcher would then need to throw strikes to ensure they weren't walking more batters and putting people in scoring position. So, they'd throw more fastballs and wouldn't work the corners as much. They would also try much harder to get the guys in the bottom of the lineup out before getting back to the top where Cousino, Kuhn, and Reed could really hurt them, so they didn't want to give up walks to the bottom and would throw more strikes, and likely in the form of fastballs. This year the pitchers don't have to change their approach for anyone in particular, unless it is based upon a scouting report that a certain person can only hit fastballs and such.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
He has a season of tendencies and weaknesses in the books...sophomore slump can be huge in baseball as scouting reports are no joke. Without any inside knowledge, that would be my guess.

Very good point as well. UK seems to often suffer from the sophomore slump. Cousino had an amazing freshman season, but his sophomore season paled in comparison. He hit above .300 in both his freshman and junior years, but just .249 in his sophomore campaign. Luckily Shelby is definitely breaking this mold with his hitting this season.

I was a Ballard high school grad and our most famous baseball player would have to be Jeremy Sowers...anyways, he went 7-4 his rookie season with a couple of shutouts, then his next year he was 1-6 with a 6.5 ERA. Video got out on him and they found something and it basically killed his career.

With the UK guys, I think that is what happened with Cousino and now happening with Storm...and like comeback said, Storm was a more important hitter in the opposing pitchers' minds and he didn't step up to the level that they did.

With Shelby, I think he is such a natural talent with limitless athletic ability that it would be tough to expose him on the same type of thing over and over...he can make quality adjustments - and his family knows baseball, he likely has a high baseball IQ and can figure out what pitchers want to do with him before they even know.

Well, we will monitor Evan White next season, if he slumps, you all may have a valid point. If he builds on this seasons stats, like J Shelby has, the theory may be not so. Wilson could still have an impact on how our season goes, he could come up with a big hit or stolen base in a key situitation over the next 12 games or so.

Just read a fun fact that goes along with Comebacks thinking...

"Roger Maris was never intentionally walked the year he hit 61 home runs. (Mickey Mantle batted behind him.)"

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT