ADVERTISEMENT

UK Baseball last weekend...

CloverforkCat

Junior
Jun 3, 2013
Very good weekend for the Cats. Besides the obvious, sweeping Tennessee, there were other positives. 1st the weather was outstanding, next 2 of the 3 games were televised on the ESPN-SEC Network, then the total attendance for the 3 games was 7,200 or an average of 2,400 per game, that is 80% capacity at the Cliff. Not bad for a team that was struggling coming into the UT series.
The Cats starting pitching was fabulous, as Brown, Beggs, and Nelson were all sharp. Would have liked to see Nelson get another 2/3 of an inning in and get the win, but it turned out OK.
Now if UK can defeat Xavier, and go down to Florida and avoid being swept, that would set up a control your own fate finale with 2 of the 3 final SEC series being at CHS.
During Saturday's broadcast, Chris Burke said he thought it would take 12 wins in SEC play to qualify for the SEC tourney, UK currently is 8-9 in league play. Personally I believe we can win 5 or 6 of the remaining 12 league games and maybe get to a 10 seed, which would set up a more managable SEC tourney, somewhat like las year.

I might type out a bit more later, but the rain out against TAMU may actually help us. I believe right now we are ranked 7th overall in the SEC. With 1 more loss, which was highly likely against TAMU, we would be tied with at least 2 other teams. So, having one less loss is actually helping to put us just a bit ahead.

I think that it shouldn't be too hard for us to get into the SEC tournament. Just have to stay 12th or above if I am not mistaken. Right now Tennessee, Georgia, and Miss. State have 5, 6, and 6 wins respectively. We should be able to keep our heads above at least two of them.

Guys you all do realize 3 of the remaining 4 sec series are against the three best teams in the top right and only Vandy is at home...

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
Guys you all do realize 3 of the remaining 4 sec series are against the three best teams in the top right and only Vandy is at home...
Not exactly, Florida is red hot right now, Vandy is slumping a little, lost 2 straight series, Georgia has a worse record than UK, Missouri is a surprise team, but not as good as LSU, A&M, Florida, or Vandy IMO.
Also the Vandy and Georgia series are at home, go to Florida this weekend, and to Mizzou the final weekend of the season.

FWIW, I talked to Kyle Barrett today and he said the goal (at least for him, assuming for the team) was to get five more SEC wins. Kentucky really needs to take at least one game from Florida and Vanderbilt. Anything more than that and they should be ecstatic. Need to win the series at home against Georgia. I know Missouri is having a good year but you have to think you can take two out of three from them as well.

Also, Kyle Cody is pitching tomorrow. Xavier is 10-29 on the season so he would have to have some serious issues to not get by them. Only one midweek game left after tomorrow and it's against Louisville. Cody has been pretty bad this season but throwing him against Louisville would still give you a little bit of hope.

^^^^ Interesting that the team has set 5 more wins as the benchmark. If they win 5 more SEC games and win both OOC games, that would put them at 29 wins going into the SEC tourney. They would need to win a couple more games there, to probably get an NCAA bid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT