ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective: Season 2

I concur. I like VV in just about every comedy I have seen him in...but his scenes are just awkward in this series. Chalk it up to whatever you want to...the acting, the directing, the writing, the make-up artist or the food on the set...but that part is just off in a major way.

Maybe that character surprises me and develops into something fantastic over the next 5 episodes. But the first three episodes were cringe worthy in just about every VV scene.

Vaughn has been better than Kitsch in my opinion. Farrell and McAdams have been far and away better than either of them.

Kitsch has been the biggest disappointment to me. I'll chalk it up to the stupid storyline he has been given.

Nope, he was good in that. It was one of the few quality moves he was in, imo, before or around the time of TD. Not that I didn't like other movies (His brief parts in Dazed and Tropic Thunder), but it's funny to look back and see that he didn't really have much of a track record before TD. I kind of count Mud, DBC and WOW in the same time frame, which were all great.

Don't forget Interstellar. I don't think any actor has come close to him the last 3 years. He's done great stuff. Never in my life would have predicted he'd win an Oscar after the million rom coms he did.

Hope he gets to work with David Fincher at some point.

Reactions: LineSkiCat
OK so I was wrong about the gay thing. Dude definitely smoked some pole in the desert and is currently struggling with his sexuality.

That seems so obvious at this point that I think it is something different. Not sure what though.

Yet another mediocre episode that ended with a bang. Pizzolatto sure knows how to end an episode with a cliffhanger.

I liked it better. Episode 3 was pretty bad, but this one, like episode 2, started to really get the wheels turning.

VV is continuing to be the weakest link of the 4 main characters. Just nothing really good. TK had a good showing this episode I thought. RM and CF continue to be strong.

Loved seeing that lazy cop get his head blown off

This season would be a lot better to just binge watch one weekend where you're not waiting week to week.

Kind of confused a bit but I think I understand the majority. I don't have any big crazy theories yet.

TK's storyline is atrocious and feels like it was put in there for the sake of the subject matter.

Still feels a little cluttered but things are starting to come together. I'll keep watching in hopes it makes a turn for the better.

Seems as though Ana is the character that is going to get backed into a corner this year like MM did last season. Also seems like Velcoro is going to end up showing some heart and compassion to someone other than hisself before is over.

Wow, what a great find. Very interesting, and it's hard to imagine a place like Vernon could actually exist. Good stuff, even reminding me of that truly cringe-worthy Anaconda/shark line.

God, this show has some truly wincing dialogue. That line, the back-and-forth between VV and the Mexican gang-banger. The coffee shop scene where TK's girl announces she's pregnant (And they both fire the same phrase to open, something like "I'm just saying..." or the like). Definitely some crap moments.

The writing is awful, McAdams is overacting and is awful, the gay dude angle is awful, VV isn't awful but not good either "I've never had a cavity" jesus really... Colin Farrel is the only one of the 4 that is holding his own, at least McAdams is running around showing off her ass..

The writing is awful, McAdams is overacting and is awful, the gay dude angle is awful, VV isn't awful but not good either "I've never had a cavity" jesus really... Colin Farrel is the only one of the 4 that is holding his own, at least McAdams is running around showing off her ass..

Siskel and Ebert would be proud.

Lets not leave out how ridiculous McAdams dad looks (the actor is usually good) but his role in this is just stupid. Its almost like the scenes with him in it are from SNL or something.

At this point, I am ok with openly saying that I hate it. I am committed to watching the full season because you never know, but I dread watching it tonight and it feels like a chore.

Last season was awesome (except for that hideous last episode) because it wrapped a hilarious buddy cop comedy into a broody whodunit. There were jokes! JOKES! It was fun to watch. Harrellson and McConaughey had charisma. Interesting things happened; they weren't talked to death endlessly. Even all that m-brain rambling was interesting because McConaughey managed to make it compelling.

This year? Just convoluted schemes which I don't care enough to even try to understand and more scowling and deadpanning than a pubescent teen.

It makes me aggravated because this show should be awesome and isn't because the writer has his head stuck up his own rear end and appears to have no idea what people actually liked about the first season. (Here's a hint, fella, it sure as hell wasn't endless dialogue and overhead shots of the road.)

Halfway through the season now and it's just not good. You can't pin it on just one thing, a lot of things aren't working. Even the opening credits with that Leonard Cohen crap are a disaster.

I happen to like the opening credits. One of the very few things I like about this (so far) dumpster fire.

Vince's wife tho? My prediction is tonight the world will see her chest because that's really all this show has left.

***Spoiler Alert***

Tonight's episode is going to be a high flying, death defying thriller! All kinds of major plot twists, crazy action scenes, with near-zero dialogue, a few star-studded cameos & several gratuitous beaver shots.

Disclaimer: I have no actual sources. Just a foundation-less hope that springs eternal.

Little help: I'm actually trying to apply logic to this season. But I got distracted by one of my kids and I have no idea why the female detective and the guy who is apparently gay were roaming around in the woods to find the torture cabin. I assume I just missed a lead they got.

Little help: I'm actually trying to apply logic to this season. But I got distracted by one of my kids and I have no idea why the female detective and the guy who is apparently gay were roaming around in the woods to find the torture cabin. I assume I just missed a lead they got.

Went to check out a location that came up in the investigation and also on Casper's GPS. Got there and she saw the buzzards circling, assumed they may have been circling a dead body I assume, and found the cabin.

Went to check out a location that came up in the investigation and also on Casper's GPS. Got there and she saw the buzzards circling, assumed they may have been circling a dead body I assume, and found the cabin.
Thanks Altro. So it was kind of a long shot check?

***Spoiler Alert***

Tonight's episode is going to be a high flying, death defying thriller! All kinds of major plot twists, crazy action scenes, with near-zero dialogue, a few star-studded cameos & several gratuitous beaver shots.

Disclaimer: I have no actual sources. Just a foundation-less hope that springs eternal.

I think you got this mixed up with Ballers. Lots of that

Reactions: SosaUK
Thanks Altro. So it was kind of a long shot check?

The missing Hispanic girl called one of her relatives from a phone at or near that address if I remember correctly.

I'm going to have to re-watch all episodes to figure out the story behind those blue diamonds. They have me all sorts of confused.

This is more than likely just a coincidence but the Mexican guy they were after who died in the shootout's name was Ledo. Ledo...Ledoux...Reggie Ledoux?! CONSPIRACY! Nah but they did have very similar roles in Season 1 and 2 respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Good episode...probably the best thus far this season.

RE: the blue diamonds

Annie and the bi-sexual motorcycle cop dude found some blue diamonds in Caspre's safety deposit box a few episodes ago. They then later mysteriously disappeared from the evidence room. Now they find these pics of what appears to be the same diamomds.

Also found out this week that the fat cop who got shot last week had been searching the pawn shops for the same diamonds but didn't tell the other cops he was doing it.

Also...is nobody going to give me props for figuring out after the first episode that VV gave CF a pic of some random guy he wanted killed instead of the actual guy who raped CF'S wife?

Ish is going to get real in the next episode.

Reactions: SosaUK
Also...is nobody going to give me props for figuring out after the first episode that VV gave CF a pic of some random guy he wanted killed instead of the actual guy who raped CF'S wife?

I didn't realize cf thought he killed the rapist. I thought vv had him killed in the first episode and that's why cf was loyal to him. Damn, how'd I miss that.

Good episode...probably the best thus far this season.

RE: the blue diamonds

Annie and the bi-sexual motorcycle cop dude found some blue diamonds in Caspre's safety deposit box a few episodes ago. They then later mysteriously disappeared from the evidence room. Now they find these pics of what appears to be the same
Diamonds.

Also found out this week that the fat cop who got shot last week had been searching the pawn shops for the same diamonds but didn't tell the other cops he was doing it.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out who the cop was.

Props. I remember.

Agree.

Semyons red headed side kick is gonna have something to do with it. Velcoro followed him this passed episode and then I remembered in episode three Semyon is looking for him and we he finally shows up he makes the excuse that his "phone died". Fishy.

Anyone else noticing lots of parallels between seasons 1 and 2?

Person gets killed by unknown murderer who's into some weird shit (yellow king, crows/animal heads/bondage). They think they kill the culprit (LeDoux, Mexicans) following a huge shootout, and then the team scatters. Then they rejoin after a long period of time to realize they didn't get the real killer. There's even the missing Fontenot girl from season 1 and the missing Hispanic chick from this season. Both seem random and unrelated at first and then get tied in to the story later on.

Both seasons involve sex rings and human trafficking with powerful men too, and have large religious undertones.

Not sure if I would call them parallels or bad writing, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWes11
ADVERTISEMENT