ADVERTISEMENT

Noah committed

I have never seen Perry or Noah play in person, only highlight video's, however I am very excited about both of them becoming 'Cats. They are KY boys, they know what the front of the jersey means unlike some of the players in the Cal era. Noah looks the part and his shot is nice and smooth. Him and Perry will see the court next season.

GD right it is and many on here cant get beyond Stars and no defense AAU ball.
He is a 4 star so there can't be too many stars to look past.

I'd guess a similar ranking but from North Dakota would be seen a little more cautiously as far as their immediate impact.

I think the kid can contribute and eventually contribute substantially but he is going to be behind a lot of experienced wings so he may have to develop and bide his time.

Reactions: KFuqua and track42
im horny GIF

Unfortunately, we are in uncharted territory, not really knowing what we really have. The optimist in me wants the feel-good picture because the season is so far away, but the pessimist in me says we will not be as good as some might think based on ratings and the team not having been together at all last year. In the end though, due to Cal's lack of results in recent years my expectations are tempered, and I can (hope I don't have to) suffer through a down year or two. However, if Pope gets them playing with passion, fire and heart, it will not matter as much because the team will be exciting.

I remember feeling good in Pitino's first year as that team fought hard regardless of the situation so...

Unfortunately, we are in uncharted territory, not really knowing what we really have. The optimist in me wants the feel-good picture because the season is so far away, but the pessimist in me says we will not be as good as some might think based on ratings and the team not having been together at all last year. In the end though, due to Cal's lack of results in recent years my expectations are tempered, and I can (hope I don't have to) suffer through a down year or two. However, if Pope gets them playing with passion, fire and heart, it will not matter as much because the team will be exciting.

I remember feeling good in Pitino's first year as that team fought hard regardless of the situation so...
I believe that team was full of low ranked Kentucky kids that played their hearts out for Pitino. These players will do that for Pope.

Noah is as tough as the people of Harlan. Plus has anyone looked at his shooting stroke? Perfect form plus he has the mind set of a scorer.
Hopefully he makes it to campus, everybody knows you never leave Harlan alive.

JK

Do we expect him to be Reed Sheppard year one?

It would be nice, but it's much more likely he is in the bottom half of the rotation. That's ok. We need to fill out a roster. A player who is looking for major PT or wants to be one of the core players isn't going to want to be the 10th player.

This is an investment. If he is a baller as a freshman, that fantastic, If he needs to learn the ropes as a freshman before blossoming into a very good player, that's acceptable as well. We then have a good player for the next season and potentially beyond.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone misses Calipari. If you miss his style of recruiting, I'm sure they have room over there if you miss him so much. Quit bashing Pope's style of getting players to come to this University. He is doing a Fantastic job so far. IMO
That’s harsh man. Listen, his point is valid. It’s entirely reasonable to expect Noah to take a year or two to develop. Same with Perry. Actually you seem to be assuming that all Kentucky freshmen will be studs out of the gate. Are you sure you aren’t too attached to the last coach yourself?

I believe that team was full of low ranked Kentucky kids that played their hearts out for Pitino. These players will do that for Pope.
Kind of like the Mississippi State coach said...Pelphrey was Mr Basketball, Felhaus his runner up, Hanson MVP of the state basketball championship, Sean Woods Indiana Mr basketball, and Farmer rewrote the scoring book.....
Pretty decent guys that loved the Blue and stayed

That’s harsh man. Listen, his point is valid. It’s entirely reasonable to expect Noah to take a year or two to develop. Same with Perry. Actually you seem to be assuming that all Kentucky freshmen will be studs out of the gate. Are you sure you aren’t too attached to the last coach yourself?
Absolutely not. I wouldnt Pi$$ on him if he was on fire! Just saying

Reactions: KFuqua
Reactions: Fox2monk
Absolutely not. I wouldnt Pi$$ on him if he was on fire! Just saying
I know you’re just saying, but I’m trying to understand what you saying. So if I am a person who believes Noah will be a big contributor his sophomore season, then what does that say about me in your opinion? Do I need to follow cal to Arkansas?

I know you’re just saying, but I’m trying to understand what you saying. So if I am a person who believes Noah will be a big contributor his sophomore season, then what does that say about me in your opinion? Do I need to follow cal to Arkansas?
You do you whatever you want. Thats your opinion. I'm here to back everything Mark Pope does. I try not to judge anything Mark pope does. Or what his players are going to do when they arrive at Kentucky. I'm here for #9. I'm in the moment, not 2 or 3 years later. he knows his assignment.

Reactions: KFuqua
Reed was a better athlete than most give him credit. I guess many people stereotyped him. If the NBA is going to pick you in the top 10, then they have to be impressed with how an explosive of an athlete you are. Trent might never make the NBA , but very few college players actually do. It's only like 1.2% of the players that make that jump.
I totally agree about Reed's athleticism being underrated but going in the top 10 doesn't mean the NBA guys
think you're one of the most explosive athletes; it just means they think the total package, including shooting and intangibles, makes them one of the top 10 prospects.

Do we expect him to be Reed Sheppard year one?

It would be nice, but it's much more likely he is in the bottom half of the rotation. That's ok. We need to fill out a roster. A player who is looking for major PT or wants to be one of the core players isn't going to want to be the 10th player.

This is an investment. If he is a baller as a freshman, that fantastic, If he needs to learn the ropes as a freshman before blossoming into a very good player, that's acceptable as well. We then have a good player for the next season and potentially beyond.
I don’t think we should expect anyone to play as great as Reed but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be their own player and very good at that. Plus we may keep them more than a year which is great too.

Great.

My biggest concern so far was if we would still have to make a whole new team next year. It’s good to have a few that should roll over.

And it damn sure can’t hurt to have a few blue blooded Kentucky boys that have dreamt of playing at UK for their entire lives.

Not harsh at all when cornbread always trashing everything. Now harsh enough in my opinion

Reed was a better athlete than most give him credit. I guess many people stereotyped him. If the NBA is going to pick you in the top 10, then they have to be impressed with how an explosive of an athlete you are. Trent might never make the NBA , but very few college players actually do. It's only like 1.2% of the players that make that jump.
We need good solid 4 year guys who will live and breathe Kentucky basketball. Good College players that don’t have to necessarily translate to NBA players. Sure we still need a few NBA caliber studs, but it’s the guys like Noah and Perry who will put the blood sweat and tears into striving for a championship because they know how much of an honor it is to wear the jersey.

Love the fact he’s going to be intrinsically motivated by the name on the front of the jersey.

I’m maybe more excited that he and Perry will get to practice and get better against some older dudes. Something most UK players with the last coach never got to experience. And most likely they will both be here next season so that experiences can actually benefit UK and not an NBA franchise or the G League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT