ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal question

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
Sorry, I know this is a stupid question but is it common for coaches to pull scholarships from players that are low on the depth charts to force them into the transfer portal or is it pretty much a player decision? And when I say pulling a scholarship, I don’t mean the coach meets with a player to let them know they’re likely not to play and might be better off elsewhere, but they actually tell the player their scholarship won’t be renewed the following year.

Sorry, I know this is a stupid question but is it common for coaches to pull scholarships from players that are low on the depth charts to force them into the transfer portal or is it pretty much a player decision? And when I say pulling a scholarship, I don’t mean the coach meets with a player to let them know they’re likely not to play and might be better off elsewhere, but they actually tell the player their scholarship won’t be renewed the following year.
No, it's very rare for a coach to not renew a scholarship.

Reactions: PensacolaBlue
Coaches have meetings with players and honestly evaluate their futures. I watched Mac Brown’s post-game presser on Saturday. He said his staff is honest with the players and he just asks them to be the same with him regarding the portal and NFL.

Reactions: PensacolaBlue
Prime made no bones about it. One of his first pressers, he baldly stated that the current CU (last year's) was not nearly good enough and he was going to totally revamp it. 88 new players vs the previous year's roster (some were walkons). IIRC, scholarships are for 1 year only, so the coach can decide not to renew a kid's scholarship although it's rare that they do so. Don't know if Prime actually told some players their scholarship would not be renewed but I'm 100% sure he told a bunch that they were not wanted and would not play if they stayed.

I don't think it's common to remove players from scholarship if they are low on the depth charts. After all the kid didn't misevaluate. What use to be common was injured players were put on medical hardship scholarships that didn't count towards the 85. Of course some schools abused that and now all medical hardships have to be approved by SEC, for conference members, Advantage Bama. Now coaches have sit down and tell players where they stand on getting to play, and offering to help find them a place if they want to transfer. The problem with that is alot more kids enter the portal and many kids are left with no scholarship. But very few if any actually say kid you ain't good enough to play here so I am taking your ship.

Reactions: cat888
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT