ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy Webster may have been the tipping point with Brown, per MJ

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
Remember him. He was an assistant under Gillispie. Matt said Brown is a private kid and doesn't like all the attention, hence the lack of interiews and leaks about his decision. Webster is the lead recruiter at Cal, and likely really played up the media and fan attention at UK.

So going to Cal and being the best bball recruit in the past however-many years won't garner tons of attention? Versus coming to a program where you are amongst recruits that will share in the spotlight and effectively water-down the spotlight? That's silly IMO.

Reactions: mcbarrycat
lol @ people who still listen to Matt Jones. Especially when it comes to recruiting information.

if this recruiting season has shown us anything, it is that the so-called insiders have zero relevant info. as for this "revelation" that Webster may have made a difference, I can get that same info on this board from some 16 year old kid. the info is just as valid.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I could see that, the fact the kid suddenly chose to make the announcement with no cameras or ESPN specials speaks volumes. This place is a nuthouse for exposure, other programs are similar but not as close as here. He chose to be secluded out west.

I will say though, as a NBA GM stuff like this would concern me...you might not want all the attention, but if your goal is to become a NBA superstar and lead a team it's hard to do that shying away from the spotlight. Just like public speaking, most fear it but only way to overcome is to get out there and do it.

Not the same, but reminds me of Royce White who used to play for Iowa State. Tremendous player but had bad anxiety problems. To the point where he couldn't/wouldn't fly. Was drafted in the first round by Houston I think, but had all kinds of problems after that to the point that they either let him go or traded him. Not sure which. May even be out of the NBA now.

I'm not equating White's problems with Brown's apparent desire to be under the radar, etc. Just reminded me of White.

This is why most of our players adjust so well to the pros.

I can't remember who it was, but one of our former players said something like "when I got to the pros, I finally got some peace and quiet."

This is part of preparing for the next level. If these kids want to go and hide and not prepare for the distractions at the next level, then prepare to struggle.

I could see that, the fact the kid suddenly chose to make the announcement with no cameras or ESPN specials speaks volumes. This place is a nuthouse for exposure, other programs are similar but not as close as here. He chose to be secluded out west.

I will say though, as a NBA GM stuff like this would concern me...you might not want all the attention, but if your goal is to become a NBA superstar and lead a team it's hard to do that shying away from the spotlight. Just like public speaking, most fear it but only way to overcome is to get out there and do it.

95% of the NBA is made up of players who are not superstars (NBA speaking that is). Not wanting the spotlight would/should not concern any NBA GM. You can either play well enough to earn a roster spot in the league or you cant. Very few will ever rise to superstar status.

95% of the NBA is made up of players who are not superstars (NBA speaking that is). Not wanting the spotlight would/should not concern any NBA GM. You can either play well enough to earn a roster spot in the league or you cant. Very few will ever rise to superstar status.

Ask most NBA GM's and they will disagree with what you want out of a guy you are spending a top 10 pick on.

to be honest, with regards to Jones, an article about how the platoon system would hurt recruiting 2 month ago would have been impressive. Now it just seems like a captain obvious moment.

I don't really care - I'm not a Jones hater. Just pointing it out. 10 years from now when someone on this board has a conversation about the platoon system, someone will link to Jones' site and use it to prove how it killed our recruiting for the year.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
I think, in hindsight, the Slice hire was a really poor one.

The hire was a really good one. No one knew his childhood friend and NBA great would get the HC job in his hometown area.

Him leaving has hurt us no doubt, but you can't say it was a bad hire because the perfect storm hit and he left.

One can argue he could have started getting used to the spotlight at UK, but also that a year in college could help him prepare for it as well. He may be a star recruit at Cal, but Cal is just one of many college and pro's teams in the Bay Area so he won't get the attention he would have here, and get a year or perhaps two to mature before he moves up to the NBA. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

to be honest, with regards to Jones, an article about how the platoon system would hurt recruiting 2 month ago would have been impressive. Now it just seems like a captain obvious moment.

I don't really care - I'm not a Jones hater. Just pointing it out. 10 years from now when someone on this board has a conversation about the platoon system, someone will link to Jones' site and use it to prove how it killed our recruiting for the year.

This is it, he has nothing new or no insight. He is an act that was going to quit his show and be a lawyer.

He just lucked in to a relationship with Cal and took off.

I don't hate or like the guy. I just realize he is a TV persona trying to get attention. He's not very good at it, but it is working for him.

The guy is living a life any UK fan would love. That is where most of the hate comes from.

This is it, he has nothing new or no insight. He is an act that was going to quit his show and be a lawyer.

I don't hate or like the guy. I just realize he is a TV persona trying to get attention. He's not very good at it, but it is working for him.

The guy is living a life any UK fan would love. That is where most of the hate comes from.

This entire post makes me smile. I was going to "quit my show and be a lawyer" before Calipari got here...unfortunately that ignores the fact that I was a lawyer first and didn't have a show until Calipari's second season. I actually quit practicing law to do my show, not the other way around.

I am a "tv persona" trying to get attention....but I am not on tv.

Otherwise though, you are dead on

Matt is not the only one to report this. It is indeed a fact.

Brown won't be able to hide from attention in the NBA. Coming to UK could have helped get him ready for that tremendously.

I think, in hindsight, the Slice hire was a really poor one.

Webster is a coach at Cal. He may have had to persuade the kids AGAINST UK, but at least he's doing it in the interest of his current coach and does have first hand experience. Can't fault Webster, if true.

This is a prime example of "UK isn't for everyone."

This angle makes a lot more sense to me than platooning as a recruiting deterrent. I could see a coach making a reasonable argument about the spotlight at KY. We're a great place to get notice, showcase your talents and get on TV. All this great PR stuff that can help catch the eye of the NBA. However, if that's not what you (as a recruit) a looking for . . .

As Cal says, Kentucky isn't for everyone.

At least Brown is thinking ahead.

There'll be no pressure on a top 3, potential franchise-altering lottery pick.

Yep. For sure.

The mistake @MattJonesKSR is making here and what recruiting "eexperts" often make is:

1) trying to be definitive with recruiting
2) trying to justify/ddefend why their predictions go wrong.

I've had many conversations with one of Cal's closest colleagues (not so much recently). Sometimes he would tell me things that were spot on. Sometimes he would tell me things that weren't even close. Sometimes he legitimately didn't know. Now... do you think I was getting legit info 100% of the time?

Recruiting info can come from coaches (only inside angle I've directly heard from), it can come from those close to the recruits or it can come from perceived inside outsiders (tthink Jason jordan). Those people may have agendas that results in those directly giving misleading information by the time it gets to Matt Jones.

I will say that most people surrounding the program were pretty confident in the late afternoon on Friday that we were getting brown.

Last edited:

LOL... not very good at it? Where do you guys come from?

He passes along information he hears and does so in the most ridiculous manner possible that based on the huge ratings success of his radio show and his very popular web page must be pretty entertaining. The guy makes mistakes but who doesn't? But the show is funny, entertaining and garners a lot of attention for UK. So yeah, I would venture to say he is VERY good at it.

And by the way, he was here and growing in popularity before Calapari came to UK (remember the Door? Remember Jai and Patterson?). Sure the success Calapari has brought to UK has given him the springboard to soar, but let's give credit where credit is due. Whether you like the guy personally or not, he is successful in his field so that makes him good at it by definition.

For those doubting that platooning was a factor, come back to me a little later this afternoon.

The mistake @MattJonesKSR is making here and what recruiting "eexperts" often make is:

1) trying to be definitive with recruiting
2) trying to justify/ddefend why their predictions go wrong.

I've had many conversations with one of Cal's closest colleagues (not so much recently). Sometimes he would tell me things that were spot on. Sometimes he would tell me things that weren't even close. Sometimes he legitimately didn't know. Now... do you think I was getting legit info 100% of the time?

Recruiting info can come from coaches (only inside angle I've directly heard from), it can come from those close to the recruits or it can come from perceived inside outsiders (tthink Jason jordan). Those people may have agendas that results in those directly giving misleading information by the time it gets to Matt Jones.

I will say that most people surrounding the program were pretty confident in the late afternoon on Friday that we were getting brown.

Wait, aren't you the guy who posted "Brown to Kentucky" about an hour before he announced?

Kind of surprised a big celebrity like Matt Jones would take time to post on this message board when he could be taking news collected by others and presenting it as his own

Kind of surprised a big celebrity like Matt Jones would take time to post on this message board when he could be taking news collected by others and presenting it as his own

Just curious, as I have read this accusations of taking news from others multiple times, did you come up with this on your own as original news or did you fail to credit the person from whom you stole this information?

So going to Cal and being the best bball recruit in the past however-many years won't garner tons of attention? Versus coming to a program where you are amongst recruits that will share in the spotlight and effectively water-down the spotlight? That's silly IMO.
He didn't want to be in a fish bowl. I don't care who's on our roster. He would of got more media/fan attention at UK than anywhere else in the country. IMO

This angle makes a lot more sense to me than platooning as a recruiting deterrent. I could see a coach making a reasonable argument about the spotlight at KY. We're a great place to get notice, showcase your talents and get on TV. All this great PR stuff that can help catch the eye of the NBA. However, if that's not what you (as a recruit) a looking for . . .

As Cal says, Kentucky isn't for everyone.

You could probably make an argument that UK not for every asst coach as well. To a degree the spotlight is on them too.

Just curious, as I have read this accusations of taking news from others multiple times, did you come up with this on your own as original news or did you fail to credit the person from whom you stole this information?

I am still curious where MJ ever came up with the idea that Billy D was going to IU? Do people feed him this crap or does he make it up?

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
Doesn't like the attention? Didn't this kid release video trailers of him narrowing down his school choices? As in, full-fledged production videos.

Then he made his actual decision via a delivery pigeon. So bizarre.

Not the same, but reminds me of Royce White who used to play for Iowa State. Tremendous player but had bad anxiety problems. To the point where he couldn't/wouldn't fly. Was drafted in the first round by Houston I think, but had all kinds of problems after that to the point that they either let him go or traded him. Not sure which. May even be out of the NBA now.

I'm not equating White's problems with Brown's apparent desire to be under the radar, etc. Just reminded me of White.

Post like this crack me up. You wrote it like you are going to the "way back machine" and dropping knowledge on us. When the Royce White story is literally one of the better known, and most recent, stories fresh on the minds of virtually anyone who ever watched a basketball game.

I also enjoy how people draw parallels too, with very few dots to draw conclusions with. So a kid who chose not to play at UK because he may, or may not, want to deal with our crap reminds you of a mentally deranged forward from a couple years ago...oh yeah he didn't make a spectacle out of his announcement either...he must be nuts.

Last edited:
Brown will not be an NBA superstar. Their are two future NBA superstars in the 2015 class and there name is Skal and Briscoe

ADVERTISEMENT