ADVERTISEMENT

Tough question about UK championships....

Notorious23

Freshman
May 15, 2010
I was talking to a buddy of mine who was still bitter of the loss that ended the perfect season. He told me he would have have gladly forfeited 3 previous banners in exchange for this team to win it and go 40-0.

Question to you, wuld you take back 3 banners for this past season team to go 40-0? If so, which banners would you give up.

Sounds like an easy answer but think about it: no other team may go 40-0 for a long time.

His rationale was this: he was not around when the earlier championships were won so he is not emotionally drawn to those of the early years but has been since the 70's. I told him heck no and that he should be emotionally attached to all 8! He asked if I would consider two. I started thinking at that point........but said heck no to that as well.

Selfish thinking if you ask me

Last edited:
We don't need to ration titles, we have 8. Let's get more so we can do even less rationing.

I would've given up 2 for a 40-0 season this season. As hard as a championship is to come by, 40-0 is almost impossible, and we will probably never see a team get this close again. Plus, only giving up 2 would not make us give up the rank we currently have in most championships, plus it would have kept Duke from winning one. As for the 2 I would give up, probably '51 and '98, as those two also don't effect the historical dominance that we have, as we won championships in both of those eras.

It was a big disappointment for sure as I felt we had the best team in the country. But, as I have learned over the many years, the best team doesn't always win.

Reactions: KailuaCat
Rupp's 4 titles all happened before I was born. But I consider them every bit as sacred as the 4 that happened in my lifetime. They're all part of the UK heritage and history. If you're not personally connected and feel no emotional attachment to them then go do some reading and study up on UK history until you get connected and feel the attachment. This is part of the UK mystique. We have titles that go back to when our grandfathers were fans. We're not just a UConn or a Duke, who's titles have all come since the Berlin wall came down. We have a deep tradition. Not a tough question at all!!!

Slap him 8 times! Once for every title.

Reactions: .S&C.
I am going to disagree with everyone here. I would gladly give up THREE titles for 40-0. U of L's titles in 1980, 1986 and 2013.

Reactions: blubo
Ah hell no!
slap-o.gif

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Not a tough question. Your friend is stupid.

What were you guys smoking when he said that?

I told him that he was too caught up into this past season with 40-0 being in reach. Each game closer, the more insane he seemed to get. I am sure that he will change his tune after some time has passed but for now, he is nuts.

He is more selfish in his thinking. He wanted to see 40-0 so badly that he would dismiss history for those generations in front of him (speaking of the first 3 titles). I told him, without those, there probably wouldn't have been a foundation for the next 5. His logic is flawed. sorry guys. He is looking at here and now

I would've given up 2 for a 40-0 season this season. As hard as a championship is to come by, 40-0 is almost impossible, and we will probably never see a team get this close again. Plus, only giving up 2 would not make us give up the rank we currently have in most championships, plus it would have kept Duke from winning one. As for the 2 I would give up, probably '51 and '98, as those two also don't effect the historical dominance that we have, as we won championships in both of those eras.

Are you 10? Who the hell gives up a title for anything?

Wait wait just fully read this post.

1951 has the UK legends in it. Ramsey, Newton, and Hagan. These are me. Who build the foundation you root for.

1998 was incredible. The run was incredible. It marked our 2nd title in 3 years and kept Duke from being known as the team of the decade even though ESPN is trying yearly to rewrite history. Had we not won that an Duke had, Duke would be known as the modern best by a long shot. No thanks.

You need to shut it no offense. You have no clue what you're talking about. No more opinions from you until you're in pull ups.

Good post. Actually, this is a question only UK fans (and possibly UCLA fans) would ponder. Minus two titles from anyone else's total would reduce them to obscurity.

Wait wait just fully read this post.

1951 has the UK legends in it. Ramsey, Newton, and Hagan. These are me. Who build the foundation you root for.

1998 was incredible. The run was incredible. It marked our 2nd title in 3 years and kept Duke from being known as the team of the decade even though ESPN is trying yearly to rewrite history. Had we not won that an Duke had, Duke would be known as the modern best by a long shot. No thanks.

You need to shut it no offense. You have no clue what you're talking about. No more opinions from you until you're in pull ups.

Really?? Everyone has their own insight in this question, so just because my opinion differs from yours is no reason to call me 10, or in diapers. In fact, I'm almost 40, and kentucky has won half their championships in my lifetime. I gave an argument with points for my opinion. You seem like the type of person who would consider this past season a failure just because we didn't win, but it's not. And notice that I didn't arbitrarily pick titles that I wasn't alive for. I carefully chose those titles, and I even said I wouldn't give up 3. The reason for that is simple, those titles wouldn't change much historically. Additionally, when you think about it, giving up 2 titles, to gain a title plus 40-0 seems like a good trade to me. We would now sit at 7 titles, and accomplished something most people believe is impossible. Sounds like a trade I would at least think about.

Would not but this loss was historically the worst loss since 1991 in all of college basketball. So many are in denial about it.

Just because it's the worst loss to you doesn't make it that way for everybody. There were four great teams last year and we lost to one of them.

Now imagine being up 23-10 on Louisville one year and 29-17 on Georgetown the next, and getting humiliated in both games. THAT was tough. All that talent from 1979 to 1984 with only one Final Four to show for it, and humiliating losses at the end of every one of those seasons. If you think Louisville fans are bad now....

Would not but this loss was historically the worst loss since 1991 in all of college basketball. So many are in denial about it.
Unnecessary drama. It was very painful for UK fans because of what was at stake - but that doesn't make it a historically gad loss. We were favored by 4.5 points against a really good team (the 3rd best team of the last 5 years, according to ESPN. This was Ali losing to Frasier, not getting beat by Jerry Cooney)....

Reactions: EvilMD
Efff NOOOOO!

We lost to a very good team in a single elimination format, that is called real life. Ask any number of great teams throughout history including UNLV.

We had a great season, came up short, have to suck it, and it hurts forever but let's not go crazy.

Far as I can go is a couple of final fours (as long as one of them is 68 aka no "Glory Road"/let Duke be the "racist" program) and a couple of losses to the Red Chickens. I'm not sure I'd even trade one existing championship in hand but I might consider 98 or 12 (particularly 12 because it would be a Cal swap and in the same time frame as not to mess with memories too much) in a package (because I'm not going to give away one from someone else's time, that is selfish) 78 and 96 are off the table as too critical to me.

Being perfect would have been great, but to diminish the accomplishments of other teams, players, coaches, and fans is simply selfish.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who was still bitter of the loss that ended the perfect season. He told me he would have have gladly forfeited 3 previous banners in exchange for this team to win it and go 40-0.

Question to you, wuld you take back 3 banners for this past season team to go 40-0? If so, which banners would you give up.

Sounds like an easy answer but think about it: no other team may go 40-0 for a long time.

Keep an eye on your buddy, he is delusional.

He must be nuts!! NO & NO

This is stupid. I wouldn't have given up even 1 title to go 40-0 this year. The players on our championship teams earned their rings. These kids didn't. Was a great ride but they weren't champs. To take one away from guys who did would be an injustice.

I would gladly give up the following years championships for a 40-0 season:

1980, 1986, 2013

Other than that, I don't think so!

This is stupid. I wouldn't have given up even 1 title to go 40-0 this year. The players on our championship teams earned their rings. These kids didn't. Was a great ride but they weren't champs. To take one away from guys who did would be an injustice.

Very good point!

ADVERTISEMENT