ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 favorite country artists of all time?

if sturgill simpson is going to "save" country music, they have to let him in first. the industry still calls him "americana" at this point, which is pretty shameful.

True. Funny how country music isn't country anymore. Basically pop music sang in a country dialect.

if sturgill simpson is going to "save" country music, they have to let him in first. the industry still calls him "americana" at this point, which is pretty shameful.

That's because he isn't "country". He's great, and 25 years ago he would be classified as country, but what he plays and what qualifies as country today are two different things. Americana is a good category for him, imo

I call it Southern Pop, or Ball Cap Country. No more beards, or Big Hats (George Strait), just Skinny jeans, baseball cap, oh and don't forget the biker wallet with chain and all. Hate the stuff played today. 80's glam rock was great changing over from the older metal / rock (No Big hair or fancy outfits, flashy instruments, laser shows before they did it), because there was talent. Country going glitzy ? No.

Reactions: 420grover
Not saying getting drunk and no showing or dying young was a good thing, but they did sing from the heart, not to get on tv. It was more of their way of living they sang about, not about tractors, dirt roads, barns, tail gates down, riding around, cruising thru town. Most of todays guys will fizzle out, this is just a trend,,, I hope. HTF did Shooter Jennings turn out like he did with Waylon as his dad ???? Great guy, I know him thru mutual friends, but he sucks as a musician.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
This is more of a discussion for the old stuff because I hate the new crap. I just want to hear some of your thoughts.

My favorite

1. Waylon Jennings
2. Johnny Cash
3. George Strait
That is a tough one...for me Strait..Haggard...Whitley...died much too young

A couple of country singers/groups that I would also throw in as favorites would be Blackhawk and Chris Ledoux. Just like George Strait Ledoux got his start as a rodeo cowboy not just wearing a hat to claim to be a cowboy.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
1. Hank Sr.
2. George Jones
3. Merle Haggard
Female auxillary: Loretta Lynn. As great as she was, underrated.
Cross-genre picks: Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle.
Sexiest female voice: Allison Kraus
Favorite post-1970s female singer: Roseanne Cash
Best died-too-young post-1970s singer Keith Whitely
Best post-1970s male artist: Dwight Yoakum

Travis Tritt and Mark Chesnutt fit the just never made it big, but was pretty damn solid. Confederate Railroad has some good stuff, hell Gary Allan is super talented. "Man To Man" is very good, don't want to get too carried away, but Mark Collie was a good listen on a couple tunes. "Something With A Ring To It".

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
One of the best concerts I ever attended was freedom fest at Murray St.

Mark Chestnut
Joe Diffie
Tracy Lawerence

I was thinking only about voice, not lyrics. I think Emmylou's voice has a sexier feel to it. If you take lyrics into account, then that opens a whole other can of worms.

And they need to put him in charge of producing. His live Youtube versions of his songs >>>>>>>>>>> the studio versions of Metamodern Sounds In Country Music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the studio versions of High Top Mountain.

1. Hank Sr.
2. George Jones
3. Merle Haggard
Female auxillary: Loretta Lynn. As great as she was, underrated.
Cross-genre picks: Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle.
Sexiest female voice: Allison Kraus
Favorite post-1970s female singer: Roseanne Cash
Best died-too-young post-1970s singer Keith Whitely
Best post-1970s male artist: Dwight Yoakum

My wife is a musician and an amazing singer. She sounds so much like Allison Kraus, no joke.

Any of you guys ever read Waylon's autobiography? How that guy lived as long as he did is beyond me. He was wild as hell.

Travis Tritt and Mark Chesnutt fit the just never made it big, but was pretty damn solid. Confederate Railroad has some good stuff, hell Gary Allan is super talented. "Man To Man" is very good, don't want to get too carried away, but Mark Collie was a good listen on a couple tunes. "Something With A Ring To It".

Can't disagree with Travis Tritt. Love to hear that opening line " You say you were wrong, to ever leave me alone".

1. George Jones
2. Vern Gosdin
3. Earle Thomas Conley

Honorable mention....Patty Loveless, Allen Jackson, Keith Whitley, both Hanks, and many others.

Good call on Tracy Lawrence, I didn't like TL at all in his early days, but now I really like him.

Travis Tritt does a song with his daughter, don't know if its been released, someone put the link on my wifes Facebook. Worth checking You Tube for.

I can't say it enough. The good stuff is still out there guys, you just won't hear it on the radio. Check out Jason Isbell, John Moreland, Son Volt ect...

As far as all time
1. Townes Van Zandt
2. Waylon Jennings
3. Willie Nelson

As Mojo Nixon says," George Jones sings so good it'll makes your dlck hard!" George, Merle, Waylon, Johnny C. , and Willie probably never had a PR firm working with them on their "look". Didn't need it.

Modern country is terrible. Blake Shelton and his wife are at the top of the industry, need I say more?

Least favorite genre in all of music, but with that said:

1. George Jones - Legend
2. David Alan Coe - Outlaw
3. Hank Williams III - Blended punk, metal and cussing into traditional country.

Least favorite genre in all of music, but with that said:

1. George Jones - Legend
2. David Alan Coe - Outlaw
3. Hank Williams III - Blended punk, metal and cussing into traditional country.

David Allen Coe had the song the ride which I liked.

As Mojo Nixon says," George Jones sings so good it'll makes your dlck hard!" George, Merle, Waylon, Johnny C. , and Willie probably never had a PR firm working with them on their "look". Didn't need it.

Modern country is terrible. Blake Shelton and his wife are at the top of the industry, need I say more?
I haaaaaa-aaaaaaate Mojo Nixon. I put it on something else if his show is on.

Underrated pick of the day: Gary Allen

Not a fan of country music but the wife is and she's a huge GA fan, he's one I'll listen to myself. Big fan of his older work, man of me, smoke rings in the dark, has a great cover of Runaway.

In my limited tasted for CM, I'll go with: Gary, Willie and Johnny Cash.

Time to fire this back up. What about Toby Keith, Brooks and Dunn, huge acts, Brooks and Dunn has some nice songs.

Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Dwight Yoakam

Patsy Cline and Patty Loveless were both real close to replacing Dwight at #3. IMO, nothing compares to Patsy Cline's voice--just close your eyes and listen.....

Sturgill Simpson, Jamey Johnson and Miranda Lambert are all putting out some great country music unlike a lot of the other "new country."

Have never been sure whether to put Vince Gill and Pat Green in Country or Pop but two more of my favorites.

Guys - how the hell did this thread go two pages with no Hank Sr. listed?

He goes to the top of a list that cannot be contained to three :)

Hank Sr.
Jones
Conway
Waylon
Hagard
Vern Gosden
Straight
Cash
Randy Travis
Alan Jackson

And that is just the guys ;)

^^ I like Miranda Lambert, but does it seem to anyone else like she is trying really hard to put a southern twang into her songs? I noticed it a lot when I was watching that new(er) Dodge Ram commercial where she sings. She doesn't talk with any sort of accent, but it seems to really come out when she sings. Here is the commercial I was talking about:

Simple for me, while I have listened to Sr. He was before my time. I love "Mansion On The Hill", "Buckets got a hole in it", several others. It was just he died before I was even born and everything was kind of a "rewind" thing for me with Sr. Trust me, my dad died of alcoholism, and he could hit "Lonesome I could cry" to a T. Thanks, now I am sitting here thinking about my dad singing that.

ADVERTISEMENT