ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 favorite country artists of all time?

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
This is more of a discussion for the old stuff because I hate the new crap. I just want to hear some of your thoughts.

My favorite

1. Waylon Jennings
2. Johnny Cash
3. George Strait

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Chris Gaines
Chris Gaines
Chris Gaines

ChrisGainsAlbum.PNG

He transformed the industry.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
This one is tough. But here goes:

1. Johnny Cash
2. George Jones
3. Merle Haggard

It hurts me to leave off Patsy Cline and Charley Pride tho.

Johnny cash
His garthness
Brad paisley

No love here for dusty chandler or the Dixie chicks?

1. Jones
2. Haggard
3. Strait

Honorable Mention: Mel Street, Tammy Wynette, Cash, Twitty

Real County Music has been dead for a couple of decades.

I was wondering when Keith Whitley was going to make someone's list. I am going to go with some oddball picks:

1. Keith Whitley
2. Doug Stone
3. Steve Earle

My current favorites are Jason Eady and Reckless Kelly.

1 Cash
2 Jones
3 Yoakam

and Sturgill Simpson is climbing...

Sturgill is climbing, and may well end up saving country music. Especially after his rounds at music festivals this summer.

Chris Stapleton is another to watch, although Im not sure country is the best classification for him.

if sturgill simpson is going to "save" country music, they have to let him in first. the industry still calls him "americana" at this point, which is pretty shameful.

Merle Haggard (Epic Hits and More To Come, #1 cd ever)
George Strait and The Ace In The Hole Band
Hank Jr. (old Hank Jr, not the "We Are Young Country" trash. The old pill poppin, Jim Beam drinking Hank.

One CD I wore out, Mark Wills Greatest Hits. "Almost Doesn't Count" top 5 song for me. "Places I've Never Been" and "Back At One" really solid. Oh and "19 Something" cause of the 80's and Roger Staubach references.

Vastly under rated, Vern Gosdin "Chiseled In Stone" damn what a tear jerker, Johnny Paycheck "Don't Take Her She's All I Got", "Butterflies and Babies."

A lot of great stuff here. What the hell happened to this genre? There's some good stuff sprinkled here and there but its been taken over by skinny jeans, flat ironed hair, clean shaven or soul patch guys with fake twangs and female pop singers who think using a fake twang makes you a country singer.

When did it all go wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT