ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Offense / Top 40 Defense

i think that is what we have to hope happens. we really need to get the D no worse than 50ish. if that is were they rank then i would think we'd be close to a top 30 team and therefore we'd be looking at 7 or 8 wins.

Agreed. I wanna see how things shape up in camp but I could definitely see 7 or 8 wins. Last year could have easily been a 7 win season and we should be much, much better this year.

Without a doubt, we will have a top 25 offense. Not sure about a top 40 defense. Hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: eacsxt
if that's how we stack up at the end of the year, what does that record look like?

Expecting big improvements on both sides of the ball this year.

If that's the case (and I could see both being very possible) I would say 7 or 8 wins. All of the pieces are in place for us to have one of the offenses in the top-half of the league this year with one of the top 2 or 3 passing games in the league. I'm not as sure about the defense, but if they show the amount of improvement that we saw last offseason, I think a top-50 defense would be possible.

The defense is going to be the key for this season IMO. There's almost universal agreement that our offense is going to be there, but the defense still needs to show us some things.

I think the offense can definitely be a top 25 offense. The defense will be better. Not sure they are top 40 yet. I think this year will be one of more improvement with the following season being the one we arrive on the national scene. I look for 7 or 8 wins this season and 8 or 9 the next.

For us to have a chance at 7or 8 win season, the special teams have got to produce. The kicking game cannot give up big yards and touchdowns, field goal accuracy needs to be very good, and the receiving teams needs to produce scores and good yardage while keeping turnovers to a minimum. It's something that we have not great success lately with.

For us to have a chance at 7or 8 win season, the special teams have got to produce. The kicking game cannot give up big yards and touchdowns, field goal accuracy needs to be very good, and the receiving teams needs to produce scores and good yardage while keeping turnovers to a minimum. It's something that we have not great success lately with.
Austin MacGinnis just came off the best year a UK FG kicker has likely ever had. He made 21 field goals total, made 3 fields goals of 50+ yards(there were only 4 other kickers in the nation who did this), and made 41 extra point attempts without a miss, all of which are UK records. He was also voted first team All-SEC at the end of the year. He did all of this as only a redshirt freshman.

Don't know about the rest of our special teams, but we're going to be more than fine in the FG kicking department if last year is anything to go by.

Austin MacGinnis just came off the best year a UK FG kicker has likely ever had. He made 21 field goals total, made 3 fields goals of 50+ yards(there were only 4 other kickers in the nation who did this), and made 41 extra point attempts without a miss, all of which are UK records. He was also voted first team All-SEC at the end of the year. He did all of this as only a redshirt freshman.

Don't know about the rest of our special teams, but we're going to be more than fine in the FG kicking department if last year is anything to go by.

That's what I'm saying he has to do it again and the rest (ST)have to pick their game up a lot for us to get to a 7 or 8 win season.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
I fully expect at least a 6-6 record, a decent chance at 7-5, and an outside chance at 8-4. I think people are underselling this group big-time. Yes I know that last seasons team went 5-7 and lost the last 6 games of the season, but the truth of the matter is that they were in 3 of those 7 losses at the end of the games (@ Fla., @ Mizzou,, and @ UL), not to mention they only lost to the #1 team in the country by 2 scores, and that's when they were still undefeated. So, had they been able to pull out any one of those games they would've been bowl eligible, but there was a solid chance they could have had an 8-4 record LAST SEASON!

Not only do I think we win all four of our OOC games, including punishing UL, but I think we finally end the longest losing streak in the nation and beat UF, and I think we beat Vandy @ Vandy. That's the 6 wins we need to go bowling. Then I think there is a good chance that we could steal a win, and an outside chance we could steal two wins. I think that Mizzou, and UT both offer potential of wins for this team. The only games I see as almost-certainly a loss are @ USCjr, @ MSU, Auburn, and @ UGa.

Kick coverage is where UK sucked last year on the special teams. IMO the infusion of the 17 redshirt players and likely some of the true Freshmen is going to make a big difference in kick coverage.

UK was somewhat short in numbers of DBs and LBs last season which is the preferred types you want on the field for kick coverage. The numbers at those positions will be up this year. IMO that alone is going to improve kick coverage. UK has a very good punter and a very good field goal kicker and if they are only as good as last year at those positions UK will be in good shape. I think we will see a big improvement in special teams play. IMO poor kick coverage cost the Cats several wins last year and if that alone is improved it could mean one or two more wins for the Cats.

Reactions: jnewc2
I fully expect at least a 6-6 record, a decent chance at 7-5, and an outside chance at 8-4. I think people are underselling this group big-time. Yes I know that last seasons team went 5-7 and lost the last 6 games of the season, but the truth of the matter is that they were in 3 of those 7 losses at the end of the games (@ Fla., @ Mizzou,, and @ UL), not to mention they only lost to the #1 team in the country by 2 scores, and that's when they were still undefeated. So, had they been able to pull out any one of those games they would've been bowl eligible, but there was a solid chance they could have had an 8-4 record LAST SEASON!

Not only do I think we win all four of our OOC games, including punishing UL, but I think we finally end the longest losing streak in the nation and beat UF, and I think we beat Vandy @ Vandy. That's the 6 wins we need to go bowling. Then I think there is a good chance that we could steal a win, and an outside chance we could steal two wins. I think that Mizzou, and UT both offer potential of wins for this team. The only games I see as almost-certainly a loss are @ USCjr, @ MSU, Auburn, and @ UGa.

Why do you see USC and MSU as almost certain losses? I know both are on the road but UK beat USC last year, IMO they are little to none improved from last season and IMO UK is going to be much improved. UK gave MSU all they wanted and they lost the majority of their starters. I think UK is more likely to beat either than it is to beat UT. I know that the UT and Missouri games are at home but do not feel that either is a more likely win than a road win over MSU. USC is a strange team that ran hot and cold last season and IMO it will just depend on which of their teams show up when they play UK whether it is the hot team or the cold team will have a big effect on whether UK gets the win.

I agree with others on ST play...it's been years since we've had a threat to take it to the house. A few good special teams plays could be the difference between a 6 win season and a 7 or 8 win season. Hopefully the influx of talent will help with kickoff coverage. We really need to see improvement in all facets of the team this year to move upwards in the SEC.

On defense, there's so many new guys it's hard to say how good we can be. I'm putting a lot of faith in Stoops that he will get the defense corrected. Would love to see a huge improvement in 3rd down defense. With more depth that should improve by default.

I hope we take a huge leap forward this year, but I would be thrilled just to have 6 wins and make it to a bowl game. That will allow recruiting to continue at this pace and in a few years, we may be a threat to win the east. One step at a time.

Honestly the last 6 games showed our youth, lack of depth, and overall lack of leadership on the field in all areas of our team. Leadership is easy to say but difficult to achieve when you are getting your head kicked in like in previous years. There will be a game this year that we will be able to say, "that game helped us turn the corner."

Yeah we had a tired, beat up team by the end of the year. Had we had just one week off there in the middle we might have been bowling last year. Stoops had us on the cusp of a 7 win season last year...in year 2. With a bit more manageable schedule things could really get fun this year. The only thing that could derail a decent season is a rash of key injuries. Because every unit should be better this year. Even the coaching staff should have a better grasp on things. Just really excited to get this season going! If our boys can protect our house, we're going bowling baby! Maybe not a great bowl, but at this point it does not matter.

Our D should be in the 50s according to trajectory of stoops previous stop and what we've done the last 2 years. So if we are top 40 then we will be going to a decent bowl and stoops will get some mention for sec coach of the year.

I truly believe if our ST play is better (defensively on giving up yards) and our defense is what I expect and with the CMS production #'s at previous stops.....WE COULD BE IN FOR AN EXCITING START TO A BRIGHT FUTURE

If not on either of those...WE ARE UK!

If you're talking PPG, here are the teams that had a Top 25 offense in PPG scored and Top 40 defense in PPG given up last year from the Big 5 conferences and where they finished in the final poll:

1 - Ohio State
2 - Oregon
3 - TCU
4 - Alabama
5 - Michigan State
9 - Georgia
11 - Mississippi State
18 - Kansas State
20 - USC

So, last year, any school with a Top 25 offense and Top 40 defense finished the season in the Top 20 with a minimum of 9 wins.

In the last 16 seasons (99-14), we've ended with a Top 50 offense AND defense one time ... in 2010. That year the offense was 27th and defense was 45th (YPG). During this span, we've had a Top 40 defense one time - in 2008. That D was #40 in YPG and #35 in PPG. If we have a top 25 offense and top 40 defense, then we will have a GREAT and FUN season!!

Also: "UK was somewhat short in numbers of DBs and LBs last season which is the preferred types you want on the field for kick coverage." - Moncell Allen disagrees
[cheers]

Of course some first team guys will be on special teams but here are some names of second and third team guys that can run that will be available.
Daron Blaylock WLB RSSR
Khalid Henderson WLB RSSR
Kobie Walker WLB FRRS
Darius West S FRRS
Zack Blaylock S JRRS
Glenn Faulkner S SRRS
Kendall Randolph CB SO
J.D. Harmon CB JRRS
Jared Tucker CB FRRS
Mike Edwards S FRRS
Jaleel Hytchye CB SORS
Dorian Hendrix MLB FRRS
Nico Firios MLB FRRS
JoJo Kemp RB JR
Mikel Horton RB SO

and I have little doubt that guys like M Walker, J Jones and King will play on Teams as Frosh as well.

Last edited:
If you're talking PPG, here are the teams that had a Top 25 offense in PPG scored and Top 40 defense in PPG given up last year from the Big 5 conferences and where they finished in the final poll:

1 - Ohio State
2 - Oregon
3 - TCU
4 - Alabama
5 - Michigan State
9 - Georgia
11 - Mississippi State
18 - Kansas State
20 - USC

So, last year, any school with a Top 25 offense and Top 40 defense finished the season in the Top 20 with a minimum of 9 wins.
Thanks for that research. We might be a year away but if we do put it all together this year, gonna be a really great time to be a UK fan! I would love nothing more than to beat Florida, UT, and UL all in the same year. UT would be a tough game to win but the other two are well within range.

Those numbers would put us in Atlanta the first week of December imo

Of course first team guys will be on some special teams but here are some names of second and third team guys that can run that will be available.
Daron Blaylock WLB RSSR
Khalid Henderson WLB RSSR
Kobie Walker WLB FRRS
Darius West S FRRS
Zack Blaylock S JRRS
Glenn Faulkner S SRRS
Kendall Randolph CB SO
J.D. Harmon CB JRRS
Jared Tucker CB FRRS
Mike Edwards S FRRS
Jaleel Hytchye CB SORS
Dorian Hendrix MLB FRRS
Nico Firios MLB FRRS
JoJo Kemp RB JR
Mikel Horton RB SO

and I have little doubt that guys like M Walker, J Jones and King will play on Teams as Frosh as well.
great info rv. i expect west and edwards to be big on special teams this year and i think walker could very well be a playmaker too. hendrix and firios hopefully are good on coverage as well. those are the kind of guys you need in coverage to keep teams from breaking long runs.

We were 75th nationally in offensive efficiency last year. 82nd defensively. Numbers weren't any better using "dumb" stats (total offense/defense).

I think top 25/top 40 is a real stretch, but here's hoping. Just getting into the 50's or 60's would get us to a bowl game.

Last years numbers can have a sobering effect. Here is where we finished last year:

Total Defense------------------------------75th
Rush Defense------------------------------89th
Scoring Defense---------------------------93rd
3rd down Defense------------------------104th
4th Down Defense------------------------108th
Red Zone Defense------------------------123rd
1st Down Defense--------------------------75th

I hope we can rise to a 40th ranked defense but I have my concerns about that. The offense improving and keeping the ball would help for sure but we've a long way to go across the board for a top 40 Defense. As mentioned above the greatest improvement may be ST and that would have a big impact on our final record.

ADVERTISEMENT