ADVERTISEMENT

Today, Tai Wynyard in 3 on 3 Against USA; Good Comments

He could be key for us next season as a backup big man.All we would need from him was to provide some bulk and rebounding.

I do as well, sounds like he is putting in some good work and getting in shape. Maybe Dad putting that axe handle to use and he got motivated

Jeff Borzello‏@jeffborzello 55m55 minutes ago
Kentucky commit Tai Wynyard said he hasn't decided when he will come over to the United States. Earliest would likely be December.

Borzello says earliest would "likely" be December. Is there a scenario in which he would be available in October?

That would be an interesting development.
Do not think so. December is the earliest.

Borzello says earliest would "likely" be December. Is there a scenario in which he would be available in October?

That would be an interesting development.

If somehow he could finish up his coursework and graduate early, he could maybe enroll in August.

That would be equivalent to a U.S. kid graduating in December and coming in second semester.

That is unusual (Stokes is the only one I remember in recent years), so I don't see it happening.

December is the very end of his year and the start of his summer break. Nothing should hinder him from coming in once he graduates. It will be up to him and his parents (assuming Cal would be all for it).

So, it wasn't posted today, but apparently these are some stats for Wynyard. Apparently the kid is a tremendous contributor, but for some reason, there are some here that claim "He can't walk and chew gum at the same time."
I guess this tells a different story, anyway.

Sam Garriock ‏@NZBasketball
May 28

Tai Wynyard is averaging 17 points per 32 mins on 64% true shooting and is 5th in rebounding rate among rotation guys. He turned 17 in Feb.

Last edited:
It still amazes me that folks question Cal in who he recruits and the recruits he gets.

I agree to an extent. In all the practice video and during the game he looked overmatched. On the other hand he was playing against Skal Labissiere, Cheick Diallo, Thon Maker, and that 7'12" Chinese dude. I do think a lot of UK fans are over valuing Wynyard right now and if he shows in up December I don't think he ever plays a significant amount. Showing up that early would just most likely be like a redshirt year to get ready for the following fall and I'm fine with that. What he needs is to get used to the American game with the speed and athleticism and develop his skills against those same things a little more and he'll be golden. I think he'll be really good... just not in December.
There aren't many 7' 12" Chinese guys he will be competing against in the future.

He's a big body, and a few rebounds and 5 fouls is a big plus off the bench.

I agree to an extent. In all the practice video and during the game he looked overmatched. On the other hand he was playing against Skal Labissiere, Cheick Diallo, Thon Maker, and that 7'12" Chinese dude. I do think a lot of UK fans are over valuing Wynyard right now and if he shows in up December I don't think he ever plays a significant amount. Showing up that early would just most likely be like a redshirt year to get ready for the following fall and I'm fine with that. What he needs is to get used to the American game with the speed and athleticism and develop his skills against those same things a little more and he'll be golden. I think he'll be really good... just not in December.
Nobody is expecting him to come in and be Karl Towns.Just to provide a few rebounds and one bucket or two.He is certainly capable of that.

Nobody is expecting him to come in and be Karl Towns.Just to provide a few rebounds and one bucket or two.He is certainly capable of that.
Can certainly do that if not better. Btw he and Rabb and Swanigan each had 2 points in the Nike Hoops Summit game. I think most folks expect Swanigan and Rabb to produce as freshman.:) The question is whether Cal wants to bring him mid-season with essentially no interaction with the team.

Smashcat raises a very good point. While I don't believe anyone is doubting Cal's recruiting, as someone suggested above, and I do think Wynyard will be a good player at UK we should also consider the fact that if he arrives in December he will be way behind the rest of the team. Our team will just be turning the corner and developing as a smooth running machine preparing to enter conference play and Wynyard would not have ever been a part of any of that team development. Cal even mentioned how far the twins were behind when they first came to UK by missing the summer stuff that year. Well, Wynyard will have missed all the summer stuff as well as full team practices/games through December and the kid will have a huge learning curve when he gets here. I think that needs to be taken into consideration or some people might get high hopes up only to be disappointed. Not saying he can't do it and contribute in some way after December but just saying it's going to be a tough road for him to catch up to the rest of the team. Need to give him some slack if he does join UK in December.

Guys: If Cal thinks he can play, he can play. That should be enough for all of us. He knows way more than we do about who can contribute and who can't. Chill out. In Cal I trust. GO CATS!

I'm all for him coming early. I've just read a lot of peoples' posts like they think he's gonna come in and dominate and I don't think that'll be the case at all.
I definitely don't expect him to be a big contributor next year but his 5 fouls could definitely help us in the case of foul trouble, not to mention his value as a practice player.

I also think that it would give him a head start on the following season...

I hope he makes it in December.

ADVERTISEMENT