ADVERTISEMENT

10 month old necro'd thread courtesy of @W2R

This might come as a surprise to you, but Cal has not been the type of coach that gets great production from limited talent. Typically, his teams play at or below their talent level.

What an idiot...AKA: UMASS & Memphis

UK is the only school Cal has been able to recruit 3-4 5 star players a season. You don't have the success he's had without being able to coach. Good grief!!

Last edited:
We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.

I almost spit my drink laughing at this, and a lot of posts in here. We just came off a Final Four and a 38 win season, not an NIT. We return experienced talent, unlike the 2013 season. The Wisconsin loss sucked, but don't let that take away the joy of last season. UK will be a good team throughout this entire season.

I do agree that it's time to start looking at the 2016 recruits, though.

Steph Curry was one of those "insignificant 3-star projects."

Why people get so hung up on star rankings is beyond me. If the guys who ranked recruits had great basketball minds, they wouldn't be scraping by running a website and chasing teenagers across the country. They would be getting paid to coach basketball somewhere. Dave Telep was the only guy in the recruiting field worth a damn, which is why he now works for the Spurs and left that crappy recruiting industry behind.

Some of those insignificant 3-star projects just need a good coach and a good system to shine. Every year we see lesser rated players on lesser teams go off in nationally televised games. You think those players couldn't do that with Cal coaching them?

because some can't take off the blue tinted glasses
This is humorous - this hoity toity "we are the voice of reason" air that the pessimists give off. Like the rest of us are nothing more than cheerleaders. Dude, look at the two links above - one to a CBS poll, the other to an espn poll. You think those two organizations have blue tinted glasses? One has us #1, the other has us, oh wait, they us #1 too! Wow. Such sycophantic cheerleading press!!

You "glass is bone dry" guys need to dismount from your high horses. You're the ones outside of mainstream thought on this.....

Zaythoven should be b!tch slapped with son of Saul crying in the background. That you tube would seriously go viral!

Reactions: hoodro
Because seeing someone live makes a difference? The kid can score and is known more as a guard that can score. He may not be a shooter like Knight but he can penetrate and finish a hell of a lot better than Harrison.

Actually, yes, it does. You get to watch the kid in shoot-around for 20 minutes to actually see his form, and his stroke.

I'd say that's significant when discussing whether a kid can potentially score from the perimeter, which was the whole purpose of my original post.

Might as well cancel the season.

Only gonna be preseason Top-10. Guess I'll take up another hobby during basketball season. Probably gonna lose about 7 games. The sky definitely falling.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

you lost me at project = insignificant. that's a complete oxymoron. we will be highlighting some "projects" this coming year. tweeners with experience. we'll see how it works out. i have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This might come as a surprise to you, but Cal has not been the type of coach that gets great production from limited talent. Typically, his teams play at or below their talent level.

so - you believe our team for the 2015-2016 season is less talented than the 2010-2011 team?

so - you believe our team for the 2015-2016 season is less talented than the 2010-2011 team?

Presently, I think so; although it is easy to point to that team as being better because of their late-season success in 2011. Next year's group is a total mystery because we haven't seen them play, so it's hard to offer a fair critique. That said, Knight is a fringe NBA All-Star and had one of the best seasons in Kentucky history - regardless of the fact that he was merely a frosh. Miller, Jones, and Liggins allowed UK to match up with anyone on the perimeter. Lamb and Knight were lethal shooters. Harrelson was good enough to play 3 seasons in the NBA.

I think next year's team will be very good, but I'd give the edge to the 2011 team based on what they could do from the perimeter and what they offered as far as defensive versatility.

Reactions: Bkocats
Presently, I think so; although it is easy to point to that team as being better because of their late-season success in 2011. Next year's group is a total mystery because we haven't seen them play, so it's hard to offer a fair critique. That said, Knight is a fringe NBA All-Star and had one of the best seasons in Kentucky history - regardless of the fact that he was merely a frosh. Miller, Jones, and Liggins allowed UK to match up with anyone on the perimeter. Lamb and Knight were lethal shooters. Harrelson was good enough to play 3 seasons in the NBA.

I think next year's team will be very good, but I'd give the edge to the 2011 team based on what they could do from the perimeter and what they offered as far as defensive versatility.

fair enough - thank you for a well thought, reasonable reply.

I do believe that Cal can do better with less talent, but, perhaps, might have gotten a wee bit........um.....shall we call it complacent? He relied a little too much on the talent IMO.

Reactions: ACCCard

Signed,
The Brandon Knight/Jorts Final 4 team that lost a ton of close games and made it out of the bracket of death
All of his really good Memphis and UMASS teams that weren't loaded with 5 star studs at every position

Are we seeing who actually has confidence in Cal and who was just along for the ride?

Tough to trust someone that only wants to ride when the top's down (Fair weather).

It would surprise me if it were true, but since it is demonstrably false, I'm only surprised anyone was dumb enough to say it.

Cal never had overwhelming talent before Kentucky, but had already been to two Final Fours and made some other nice runs. The 1996 UMass team was one of the great overachieving teams -- one talent and four blue collar guys, and a Kentucky team with 9 future NBA players barely beat them. The 2011 Kentucky team was less talented than Ohio State or UNC, yet beat them both in the tournament. And so on.

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.

Ulis and Briscoe aren't scorers?? Thats comical

Reactions: carol.chris.shirley
Haven't read the whole thread, but, man Cal has really spoiled some of you guys. I guess the days when we had Dakota Euton, Vinny Zollo, Hunter McClintock, and the eighth grader were so much better. When Tubby signed Sheray Thomas, I remember trying to convince myself he was the next Michael Jordan.

If we don't sign anyone else, I'm happy with this team as long as Skal is eligible. That's my only concern. If Emmert can keep him from playing, I believe he will. I mean, we're not UNC.

Ok guys relax

If you've read my posts you know I am an IU fan. We will be a top 15 team But I would trade rosters with UK in a second.

Compare
We have a freshman 5 with 5 stars. Yours is better.

We have an underszed PG. yours is just as good

We have a good shooting young 2 in Blackmon. Briscoe will be just as good. At least

We have an athletic 4 who plays out of control sometimes. So do you. Yours is stronger

We have an instate guy we like in Hartmann. Who gives us hope for spurts. Then not so much. You have Willis.

We have a transfer that can really shoot in zeisloft. Yours is athletic

We have a tall guy with no offense. We call hanner. You call yours lee

I think you get the picture

If we are #15. You are at least top ten and can get better.

As bob knight would say. Relax and enjoy it.

Reactions: carol.chris.shirley
i though bob knight said ..ck you mother ..cker ..ssy eatin sunbich

but thanks all the same.

Ulis and Briscoe aren't scorers?? Thats comical

Sir, I've already explained what I meant by the term "scorer" multiple times in this thread. If you're too lazy to actually look up my points, I can't really help you as I don't care to explain myself again to those who are just jumping into the thread.

Haven't read the whole thread, but, man Cal has really spoiled some of you guys. I guess the days when we had Dakota Euton, Vinny Zollo, Hunter McClintock, and the eighth grader were so much better. When Tubby signed Sheray Thomas...

But signing those types of players is precisely the main reason Tubby and Billy G are no longer coaching Kentucky. You make it sound as if bringing in those guys was somehow the norm or considered acceptable at Kentucky. It wasn't.

So by me asking questions = me giving up on the team now?

Okay.

You've gone way beyond asking questions dude...well into exaggeration, messaging and advocacy. It'll be great watching you, comet and a few other Henny Penny's get served crow all season.

But signing those types of players is precisely the main reason Tubby and Billy G are no longer coaching Kentucky. You make it sound as if bringing in those guys was somehow the norm or considered acceptable at Kentucky. It wasn't.

You really think recruiting is the reason Billy G isn't at KY?

Really?

REALLY?

That explains a great deal.

You really think recruiting is the reason Billy G isn't at KY?

Really?

REALLY?

That explains a great deal.

I actually wrote "main" reason. Do you honestly think UK would have fired him if he had a top class coming in with a few future lottery picks? I'm well aware of the Billy G bullying, drinking, etc., but I feel recruiting didn't help him at all and probably compounded his off-the court issues and his terrible interpersonal skills.

You are soooooo wrong. I'm not going to sit here a trash my team in a public forum, but you got the cart before the horse. Now you think about that last sentence and why they don't talk about effect and cause.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Haven't read the whole thread, but, man Cal has really spoiled some of you guys. I guess the days when we had Dakota Euton, Vinny Zollo, Hunter McClintock, and the eighth grader were so much better. When Tubby signed Sheray Thomas, I remember trying to convince myself he was the next Michael Jordan.

We never recruited Hunter McLintock, that's a myth that's been perpetuated around here.

The McLintock thing was the result of misguided posters on this board who didn't understand the difference between youtube mixtapes and real life falling in love with his highlights and wanting us to go after him. But, in reality, UK never actually did. We merely took a very brief look at him and promptly said "no thanks."

You've gone way beyond asking questions dude...well into exaggeration, messaging and advocacy. It'll be great watching you, comet and a few other Henny Penny's get served crow all season.

Advocacy? For what, a real discussion about how we'll score in the half-court? I think it (Final Four contention) can happen, but asking questions and making points about our lack of scoring isn't the equivalent to waving the white flag.

On that level, I haven't gone "way beyond" asking questions. Perhaps, however, you've gone a bit beyond my actual quotes by trying to direct my points and questions into some type of projected dread. Perhaps I haven't been clear, but I can assure you I like next year's team; however, I'm just not convinced only mentioning the most positive slant helps create an objective discussion.

That said, it's been an awful 30 days for Kentucky basketball. If people aren't necessarily frolicking through the fields of optimistic slants, I respectfully suggest you guys consider giving it some time and allow folks to vent just a bit. Reason and perspective will eventually catch back up.

Advocacy? For what, a real discussion about how we'll score in the half-court? I think it (Final Four contention) can happen, but asking questions and making points about our lack of scoring isn't the equivalent to waving the white flag.

You're selling awful hard for a guy not selling anything. Any rebuttal to the idea...your on it like angry on a wet cat.

You are soooooo wrong. I'm not going to sit here a trash my team in a public forum, but you got the cart before the horse. Now you think about that last sentence and why they don't talk about effect and cause.

Regardless of the singularly main reason for why Bill G was actually let go (I feel it didn't begin or end with recruiting, by the way, but you're free to dance that jig until the cows come home), my original point was that recruiting second and third tier players was not Kentucky's historic standard. For anyone to imply that it was somehow acceptable is disingenuous.

You pounced on a secondary point in my reply because you seem to have a bias against my approach to the discussion regarding next season's team. To add to my point, Billy G had about 20 enormous reasons for being fired - and I concede that recruiting isn't provably the "main" reason - but my major point was that his shistey recruiting certainly didn't help his tenure here.

You're selling awful hard for a guy not selling anything. Any rebuttal to the idea...your on it like angry on a wet cat.

Holy crap, man, did you just watch Avengers and now you're looking for something to pseudo-crusade about? ;)

I'm simply creating discussion and adding my thoughts because I literally have nothing else to do this weekend beside post and eat thin mint cookies. I've probably posted 50 times since Brown said, "no thanks." Hence the quick replies. It's seriously nothing intentionally defiant on my part.

If you vent in public, you can expect some public commentary on baseless despondency.

It's sorta like the toddler at Walmart, screaming at his mom and stepping on his lower lip because they didn't get a toy. Folks are going to watch, some shake their head and some laugh.

Watch yer step.

If you vent in public, you can expect some public commentary on baseless despondency.

It's sorta like the toddler at Walmart, screaming at his mom and stepping on his lower lip because they didn't get a toy. Folks are going to watch, some shake their head and some laugh.

Watch yer step.

Which of my points, in particular, would you deem "baseless?"

Looks like you're attempting to set up an Aunt Sally argument.

Regardless of the singularly main reason for why Bill G was actually let go (I feel it didn't begin or end with recruiting, by the way, but you're free to dance that jig until the cows come home), my original point was that recruiting second and third tier players was not Kentucky's historic standard. For anyone to imply that it was somehow acceptable is disingenuous.

You pounced on a secondary point in my reply because you seem to have a bias against my approach to the discussion regarding next season's team. To add to my point, Billy G had about 20 enormous reasons for being fired - and I concede that recruiting isn't provably the "main" reason - but my major point was that his shistey recruiting certainly didn't help his tenure here.

Told you I'm not getting into that. Suffice to say recruiting had next to nothing to do with the the issues that made the price tag associated with resolving that situation look like a good deal. If you want to debate, make some sense.

ADVERTISEMENT