ADVERTISEMENT

10 month old necro'd thread courtesy of @W2R

Good to see you GTOWN. One of the good guys right here.

You need to get you a good ole house divided avatar UK/UGA. I won't tell any of your buds you roll with the cats in the closet;)
Hahaha I'm not quite to that point, S&C. I do like Coach Cal because I think he's pretty genuine as well as hilarious. I also like chatting with BBN because y'all literally can't get enough college basketball, and neither can I. Hell, y'all even talk UGA hoops with me. Pretty cool.

What we have is a great Center and 2 good point guards. Then we have a extremely athletic PF who is thin and has next to no skillset. Then we have another extremely athletic forward who has some skill but still isn't great. You also have Matthews who is athletic but a role player at best next year. And then Mulder, who is nothing more than a role player on a good team. If we have to depend on him to be one of best players and scorers then we aren't winning jack crap. He's a nice complimentary piece but not a great player.

I won't even mention Hawk and Willis because if they have to be regular contributors then the season really is lost. Unless they have a magical offseason and become brand new players.

This team has athleticism but only 2 reliable shooters, no pure scorers, and lacks skill overall. It's a team of athletes and that's about it.

I think Mulder could really be a kew we haven't had in a while Zay. Dependable shooter that will be a junior. I think he can be much more than a role player. Ulis is probably going to be a top 3 point guard in America. Remember last year, the only thing he didn't do well will easily be fixed with some age. Poythress is a DPOY candidate day one. Then you have what could be the best center in the game.

They can do this bro.

How does Kentucky score in the halfcourt next year? That's the real question.

Cal goes back to a more dribble drive offense. Ulis and Briscoe penetrate until defender commits and then lobs to Poy and Lee or a bounce pass for them to gather and go to the rim. Get Matthews the ball with his defender on the move. Mulder just needs to hit jumpers. If that doesn't work get Skal the ball.

Reactions: Brando Mac
What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.
Briscoe can't score? Have you not watched this kid play?

Briscoe can't score? Have you not watched this kid play?

"Scorer" in the traditional sense of the word. I didn't say he couldn't score, but rather, that's he not a scorer. He's limited from the perimeter. In that sense, I'd put him closer to Andrew Harrison than someone like Brandon Knight.

Also, I've seen him play live in Chicago. Have you seen him play live?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
"Scorer" in the traditional sense of the word. I didn't say he couldn't score, but rather, that's he not a scorer. He's limited from the perimeter. In that sense, I'd put him closer to Andrew Harrison than someone like Brandon Knight.

Lol served.

Reactions: carol.chris.shirley
I'd like to offer a rebuttal.

Now I know I've been one of the pessimistic ones on recruiting lately, particularly as it related to Brown (which proved to be correct, unfortunately), but I want to defend the players that we currently have a bit.

-One thing that gives me hope is having 2 stud point guards. Good guards that get on a hot streak can take you far in March, even without much of a supporting cast. Ulis and Briscoe is an awesome combination, and Hawkins is a tremendous athlete and hard worker who proved that even as a freshman that he could provide valuable minutes for us as a defender in the tournament.
-Labissiere should be a great big man to add to them, perhaps the best shooting big man Cal has had since he's been here. If his defense is anywhere close to Davis/Noel, then we'll have a great player.
-I really feel like Mulder will be the deadeye shooter we're going to need on the wing. If he rebounds and defends well, I think he will start (depending on Murray).
-Matthews is a long player with great athleticism... I like to think of him as a wing version of Marcus Lee, not offensively polished as of yet but just a constant energy man. Good defender and has backcourt chemistry with Ulis.
-Speaking of Marcus, he will get plenty of minutes. If he puts in the time like he says he's been doing then I expect big improvements from him. He is not a good shooter, but he brings energy and never gives up and should get a lot of dunks. With improved strength he should be a good defender and rebounder for us.
-I don't think Willis is as bad as a lot on here seem to think, and he will get his opportunities. It's just a matter him putting in the necessary work and making the most of what he is given.
-If everything goes well with Poythress' recovery then he'll get his best chance here yet to shine as a star and be a go to guy. I really want to see him step up as a leader and be the glue guy that this team depends on.

I do think that Cal is going to have to play things a little bit differently with this team, though. Perhaps take a few more chances defensively and run more fast break. Play things like some of his better Memphis teams that were full of wiry/lean athletic forwards and quick guards. We're going to take some lumps with this roster, we just are. We don't have enough offensive firepower to get through the non-conference unscathed and there'll be several teams with payback on their minds for how we embarrassed them this past season. That being said, by the time the conference schedule starts, guys get more comfortable and start to understand their roles, I think we'll have rounded into a nice little team. At the very least none of these guys will have any room to complain this year, they will all be given more of an opportunity to earn playing time than ever before, whether or not they seize the moment is up to them.

And yet you'll all be on here worrying and bitching all season long. If we can't be a contender, check out now and save us the bellyaching for the next 11 months. One team wins it, the rest don't, and if you're one of these fans that have decided anything but a title is a failure, then you're going to be miserable a ton.

I've seen teams I thought were shorthanded go to the Final Four, I've seen teams I thought would be unbeatable lose double digit regular season games before taking us on an unforgettable ride, and I've seen a team that had tons of talent yet tons of flaws somehow win 38 games in a row and lose in heartbreaking fashion, all in the last six years.

So forgive me if I'm not ready to call it quits in May. You folks go ahead though. But if you're quitting, stay gone.

Xavier lost 14 games this past season and made the Elite 8. Michigan State, a team that lost 12 games including games against Texas Southern and 13-18 Nebraska, made the Final Four. There is still more talent on this upcoming UK team than both of those teams had. How about let's wait and see what the team looks like after the first few games before we claim what they are capable of.

Reactions: ukfan041
Gonna be hard for a point guard with limited shooting ability to score next year when virtually everyone packs in a zone against us and begs someone besides Skal to hurt them.

kyaee.jpg

Xavier lost 14 games this past season and made the Elite 8. Michigan State, a team that lost 12 games including games against Texas Southern and 13-18 Nebraska, made the Final Four. There is still more talent on this upcoming UK team than both of those teams had. How about let's wait and see what the team looks like after the first few games before we claim what they are capable of.
This might come as a surprise to you, but Cal has not been the type of coach that gets great production from limited talent. Typically, his teams play at or below their talent level.

I, too, worry about scoring. Briscoe can score, yes. But I don't think he can fill it up as this team needs. Obviously, a run can be made. It's a crazy tournament. But I do see several road losses in the sec and a few out of conference. Just gotta hang in there and see. 2016 recruiting class "should" be loaded. I really like Simmons, monk, bridges and some others.

Lol! This could be message board suicide. The don father will not tolerate being compared to an uglier version of Fabio. That almost looks like a mugshot, you mess with the don you maybe gone.

****disclaimer, for those who think I'm being serious****

Yep . surprised it took this long for his trollish ways to kick in tonight . Notice he was nowhere when we thought we were getting Brown . Glad he showed up so i can ignore him
I actually have to work during the day. Even if I were on the board today, what was I supposed to post when there were rumors that he was leaning towards UK today? I wasn't going to comment on him until he officially committed. I know that's hard for you to understand since you just pull random, stupid predictions out of your ass every week.

And you're glad I posted just so you can post that you're going to ignore me? If you really wanted to ignore me then you would have just done it instead of running your mouth again.

What a kid's star level coming out of high school was is largely insignificant now.

Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe are not scorers. We need someone who can score. I don't know why accepting this reality is so hard for some of our fans.
because some can't take off the blue tinted glasses

Reactions: ACCCard

Because seeing someone live makes a difference? The kid can score and is known more as a guard that can score. He may not be a shooter like Knight but he can penetrate and finish a hell of a lot better than Harrison.

This might come as a surprise to you, but Cal has not been the type of coach that gets great production from limited talent. Typically, his teams play at or below their talent level.
So you're in the camp that believes when we win its due to talent only and when we lose it falls on lack of coaching?

I'd like to offer a rebuttal.

Now I know I've been one of the pessimistic ones on recruiting lately, particularly as it related to Brown (which proved to be correct, unfortunately), but I want to defend the players that we currently have a bit.

-One thing that gives me hope is having 2 stud point guards. Good guards that get on a hot streak can take you far in March, even without much of a supporting cast. Ulis and Briscoe is an awesome combination, and Hawkins is a tremendous athlete and hard worker who proved that even as a freshman that he could provide valuable minutes for us as a defender in the tournament.
-Labissiere should be a great big man to add to them, perhaps the best shooting big man Cal has had since he's been here. If his defense is anywhere close to Davis/Noel, then we'll have a great player.
-I really feel like Mulder will be the deadeye shooter we're going to need on the wing. If he rebounds and defends well, I think he will start (depending on Murray).
-Matthews is a long player with great athleticism... I like to think of him as a wing version of Marcus Lee, not offensively polished as of yet but just a constant energy man. Good defender and has backcourt chemistry with Ulis.
-Speaking of Marcus, he will get plenty of minutes. If he puts in the time like he says he's been doing then I expect big improvements from him. He is not a good shooter, but he brings energy and never gives up and should get a lot of dunks. With improved strength he should be a good defender and rebounder for us.
-I don't think Willis is as bad as a lot on here seem to think, and he will get his opportunities. It's just a matter him putting in the necessary work and making the most of what he is given.
-If everything goes well with Poythress' recovery then he'll get his best chance here yet to shine as a star and be a go to guy. I really want to see him step up as a leader and be the glue guy that this team depends on.

I do think that Cal is going to have to play things a little bit differently with this team, though. Perhaps take a few more chances defensively and run more fast break. Play things like some of his better Memphis teams that were full of wiry/lean athletic forwards and quick guards. We're going to take some lumps with this roster, we just are. We don't have enough offensive firepower to get through the non-conference unscathed and there'll be several teams with payback on their minds for how we embarrassed them this past season. That being said, by the time the conference schedule starts, guys get more comfortable and start to understand their roles, I think we'll have rounded into a nice little team. At the very least none of these guys will have any room to complain this year, they will all be given more of an opportunity to earn playing time than ever before, whether or not they seize the moment is up to them.
Very well said, I am with you brother

So you're in the camp that believes when we win its due to talent only and when we lose it falls on lack of coaching?
I am in the camp of saying what I believe. You are in the camp of attempting to change what is said to suit your agenda. There is nothing that I posted that should be hard for you or anyone else to understand.

We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.
Well go root for another team then. When UK fans on my Facebook say crap about their own team I tell them to root for someone else then later on when UK does well I remind everyone they aren't actually a UK fan, just bandwagon. Have you ever thought about just rooting for Duke or Louisville? Perhaps you can go the pro rout and root for a pro team.

UK is better than past teams that made the final four as a few people have pointed out. They are more than capable of making that type of run. It's called march madness for a reason in that teams nobody expected to make a run do make a run and teams that are good get ousted in the first weekend. I mean ucla made the sweet sixteen and they were a pretty bad team in all honesty and UK will blow them out on their court this year.

Remember after the 2010 year we lost 6 players to the NBA and transfer. We gained 6 recruits back, Vargas, Poole, Kanter, Knight, Lamb, and Jones. We returned, Miller, Liggins, Harrelson. If somebody told you that out of your teams 6 recruits and that only 3 would be able to play. If out of your returning players you had one starter, (Miller), one bench player that couldn't score, (Liggins), and a junior college transfer that never played. Would you have picked them preseason to go to the final 4? I think we are going to be fine.

I don't quite get where the feeling that Ulis 'can't score' comes from. Obviously he's a pass first type PG. He feeds off of breaking down a defense and finding the open man. And this next year he'll be even better at it in the college game with a year under his belt. But I believe if he has to, and wants to, he can score. He was around a 41% shooter this last year with about 40% from 3. For being small, he can get to the basket and score. Sure he didn't average much scoring-wise this last year....but he didn't have to.

Plus, as to him and Briscoe, the college game is a guard-driven game. So the doom and gloom for next year isn't warranted. We're all disappointed in some of the recruiting misses. We've all been spoiled rotten with some of Cal's over-the-top recruiting. But there's not a college coach in the land that wouldn't take this recruiting class.

Reactions: Brando Mac
We aren't getting Murray. This class is done unless Cal adds an insignificant 3 star project. It has been one big failure/disappointment after another from Cal and UK since the Final Four.

So with that said, with no other elite recruits coming in, we might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season. The sunshine pumpers will get their panties in a wad but our current roster is in no way a title contender. It's a Sweet 16/Elite 8 at best with the current roster. The lack of shooting and actual basketball skill is scary. I won't say we're NIT bound just because we have good pg's this time but it also wouldn't shock me if we ended up there.

The current state of the program isn't at its lowest of the Cal era but it's not all that far away. I'm starting to think going 38-0 did more harm than good. I can't put into words just how sick I am of the kids in the 2015 class.

Might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season? Are you seriously discounting an entire season before it's even begun? I've heard a lot of dumb stuff come from you, but this takes the cake.

If you can't enjoy a season of UK basketball that could end up Elite Eight in a down recruiting year--or hell, ANY year--then do us all a favor and find a new hobby.

Might as well start looking towards the 2016-2017 season? Are you seriously discounting an entire season before it's even begun? I've heard a lot of dumb stuff come from you, but this takes the cake.

If you can't enjoy a season of UK basketball that could end up Elite Eight in a down recruiting year--or hell, ANY year--then do us all a favor and find a new hobby.
Thank you, that is what is what I was telling him as well. If he and other bandwagon fans only cheer for the team when it is an up year then they shouldn't cheer at all. A vast majority of schools would consider the year we are about to have an up year anyway, since Kentucky has a ton of talent, so I don't know where the bandwagon fans will go. When my UK friends talk down about our team I simply let them know there are other teams out there to cheer for such as Louisville and Duke. They can take their bandwagon somewhere else.

If only we had a guy that shot 45% from three coming in...oh wait we do. Chill out man we will be a top ten team next year. We have a good chance to have the best player in college basketball next year in Skal. We will have a chance to cut down the nets next year.
How will the majority of this board feel about maybe a 8-10 loss season?

It's time Cal start developing those 3-4 star guys. I am hopeful that this gives Hawkins and Willis a chance at significant PT but knowing Cal, he'll probably just play 5-6 guys and keep those on the bench. He preaches players first but only if you're a 5 star pro prospect. IMO this past season has taught me that UK and the Cal era is coming to a complete and utter separation in the near future.

Not so easy for me to forget 1996 and 2011.

As a couple other posters said, some people are comparing next year's team to both the 2015 Cats and Cal's typical recruiting class. Neither is relevant. The only thing relevant to next year's team are the other teams in college basketball in 2016......

I'll go ahead and call BS on that. In 1992, Calipari took a bunch of "no-names" at UMass to the Sweet 16 and took Camby and a bunch of "no-names" to a Final Four in 1996. His Memphis teams had some great players but, in general, none of them had the overall talent of his UK teams. I would argue he usually overachieved and is a very, very good coach. Maybe the best.

If the OP wants us to face reality than he should have said Kentucky will be a top ten to fifteen team and will win around 25 games. Also making the second weekend is likely and with some luck and getting a good draw a final four isn't out of the question. I understand that is considered a down year in the calipari era but it would be considered an up year for a vast majority of schools.

There is still plenty of talent on this team and if Cal can't win with that, then it is on him. I look forward to next season...like I have for the last 50 yrs. Let's see if Cal will adapt and adjust the offense to the type players we have. If he does that, I think we will have an exciting team.

Reactions: kybassfan
Not to worry!

Rumor has it they are just going to cancel the season and renovate Rupp. The money comes from recycling efforts on the part of season ticket holders selling their tickets for scrap and women donating their Kentucky Sports Bras to Goodwill. Some fans are handing over their entire collection of memorabilia due to the Cat's being projected to not win a single game till their next exhibition game in 2015. This will make them winless since their last game in the 2015 final four after managing to win only 38 games in the prior season. Proceeds to go to construction of a new 5' x 5' padded crying room for needs of a select few after games won by less than 40 points. Sunshine pumps will NOT be installed.

We have more "talent" than most years I've ever watched Kentucky basketball dating back over 4 decades. We have a returning point guard. We actually have a reasonably well ranked recruiting class. We have a coach that has performed well for the last several seasons, save one. We have kids that have displayed an admirable work ethic. It could be worse. It has been worse. OFTEN!

What we don't have is a written guarantee awarding the Cats the NC before the season starts. What we do have is a team with potential that deserves support. That's the team the university is putting on the floor.

LIsten, I'm not saying its bad to have an objective discussion about the team and any gaps that it may have to fill within its own ranks. What I am saying is that if your expectation is that every year is going to be better than the last, you may want to have a sunshine pump installed. I do hope the team displays more competitive spirit than some of its fans.

Reactions: songsungblue

Wait...you took the time to make this same asinine comment in two different threads??

Reactions: songsungblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT