ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday NCAA games on TV

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
433796224_10227839760314318_5934201884681298610_n.jpg

Last edited:
That opening game (Miss St vs Mich St) may be the best opening round game.

That's kind of shitty having Wagner play an early (2:45) game, considering they had to play in Dayton 2 nights ago. Should have given them an evening game.

Adou, Did not say much when asked about the coach of Oakland saying UK has no inside game. I think Adou has 3 or 4 blocks, 8 or 9 rebounds and 8 to 12 points. Z or Ugo or Tre as well.

I also think the coach of Oakland said what he said trying to get into Cal's head. He knows if we decide to pound it inside they have a chance to go 3 for 2.

We just need to play our way, let them try to stop us. As far as Defense goes, keep them off their game take out the 2 guys doing the most scoring.

Adou, Did not say much when asked about the coach of Oakland saying UK has no inside game. I think Adou has 3 or 4 blocks, 8 or 9 rebounds and 8 to 12 points. Z or Ugo or Tre as well.

I also think the coach of Oakland said what he said trying to get into Cal's head. He knows if we decide to pound it inside they have a chance to go 3 for 2.

We just need to play our way, let them try to stop us. As far as Defense goes, keep them off their game take out the 2 guys doing the most scoring.
I am worried about Cal wanting to prove that we can go inside as well. We're being set up, I feel.

The CBS scoreboard is another awesome one. It's sets up well on your Iphone. I added it to the homescreen and have one that I can tap on for NCAA basketball, one for Football and a 3rd one for the NFL.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
@Smashcat... I always appreciate you posting this (for the lazy people like me).

At first, there were so many teams, I thought you were posting a picture of HenryMuto's avatar. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Smashcat
I want a Final Four. I would love a national championship! But I want to get through this first weekend so I can at least enjoy all the first two rounds games. Once UK is out, the air is out of my balloon for the rest of my favorite sporting event.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
I want a Final Four. I would love a national championship! But I want to get through this first weekend so I can at least enjoy all the first two rounds games. Once UK is out, the air is out of my balloon for the rest of my favorite sporting event.
Same. I want another couple of weeks like this one where I'm looking forward to the games, reading articles, checking this board 20 times a day, etc. Once we lose, that's gone for me.

Also, I really like this team and enjoy watching them play. I don't want that to end.

There are so many awesome match ups. It's going to be a fun (I hope) weekend. If we go out in the first weekend, March Madness becomes March Sadness and I lose interest quickly.
I haven't seen Morehead play, any chance they can play with UNC?

Oakland allows an average of 73 ppg scored by opponents this year. There's so much talk about their "rare" 1-3-1 and how it might confuse UK. But this supposedly "rare" and "confusing" zone still allowed teams in their lowly Horizon conference to score 73 ppg on average. Those offenses aren't Kentucky.

I expect we'll get to 90 and keep Oakland under their average of 76. Today is going to be a wake up day for our defense, I think (more like hope).

My first score prediction - Kentucky 92, Oakland 71.

I dislike that McNeese and Kentucky are playing at the same time. The early games are less exciting would have rather had McNeese play at 4 PM or something. Also the early games are much more spaced out between start times. At night all similar times.

I went to Oakland's board to see how they feel about tonight and my god it's like a message board straight out of 2004. A pain to look at.
I didn't find one on Rivals, but found their main one here:

https://goldengrizzlyhoops.proboards.com/board/2/golden-grizzly-forum

Their fans aren't confident, at all. A few hoping it's not a blowout, hoping their zone works somewhat (one guy said shot charts looks like we are worse at three point shooting from the corners and much better around the top 2/3 of the perimeter arc), and overall thinking the only way they win this one or even keep it respectable is if Gohlke and Lampman have career high days.

Another poster said we are very good, but if we were so good, why didn't we win our conference tournament. What he doesn't realize there is just how strong our conference is - clearly he has no idea that there are 8 SEC teams in the dance, with most being highly-seeded.

I'm afraid they're going to need more than two guys hitting a bunch of threes. But at least they weren't too cocky and are more fearful of Kentucky than many fans here on Rafters believed (that whole "sad we're no longer feared...thanks Cal" mantra). They are in fact very worried and respectful of our power.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidseasonTweak
I didn't find one on Rivals, but found their main one here:

https://goldengrizzlyhoops.proboards.com/board/2/golden-grizzly-forum

Their fans aren't confident, at all. A few hoping it's not a blowout, hoping their zone works somewhat (one guy said shot charts looks like we are worse at three point shooting from the corners and much better around the top 2/3 of the perimeter arc), and overall thinking the only way they win this one or even keep it respectable is if Gohlke and Lampman have career high days.

Another poster said we are very good, but if we were so good, why didn't we win our conference tournament. What he doesn't realize there is just how strong our conference is - clearly he has no idea that there are 8 SEC teams in the dance, with most being highly-seeded.

I'm afraid they're going to need more than two guys hitting a bunch of threes. But at least they weren't too cocky and are more fearful of Kentucky than many fans here on Rafters believed (that whole "sad we're no longer feared...thanks Cal" mantra). They are in fact very worried and respectful of our power.
I read those same comments lol.

Reactions: TheDude73
They zone, so it's very possible. Would be a good game for Mitchell to get back in form too.
I hope Mitchell does rebound back to form, but I'm afraid of him settling for and missing a bunch of midrange jumpers as that's what zones tend to allow.

Z's passing ability should be on display when he's in the game. But we all have to remember that Oakland plays a matchup 1-3-1, which is similar to a 2-3 but the two middle outside defenders float the wings while the "ones" at the top and bottom, and the one in the middle, tend to stay static.

Here's a great video on the different types of 1-3-1 uses and how to best beat them. I see us destroying their 1-3-1 for several reasons: we shoot the three well, we have guards that love to drive gaps, and a 1-3-1 usually has a ton of gaps available, we love the lob and lobs are plentiful when a guard drives the gap and the lone defender under the basket moves towards the driving guard, leaving a huge wide open opportunity on the back / weak side for an oop, and finally the slowness of a few of Oakland's footwork. They won't be playing an aggressive turn-you-over/trap style of 1-3-1, but rather the kind that keeps our players far from the perimeter line forcing us to pass back and forth a lot but getting nowhere. I don't see them being successful with this strategy, and thus I think they'll bail on the zone pretty early on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT