ADVERTISEMENT

This will make you sick....

a) Where's the physicality and athleticism?

b) Who is that team going to guard?

Duke will not come close to winning a title next year. They have zero inside presence. That will bite them at some point.

Thornton is not Tyus Jones. I gram is not a Winslow whose biggest contribution was that he was strong, played rough & made up for Okafor's softness.

I do believe Ingram will have a big year! But I just see way too many holes in that team to think they are an automatic title contender. They will live & die by the 3

Duke will not come close to winning a title next year. They have zero inside presence. That will bite them at some point.

Thornton is not Tyus Jones.
I am sure not obsessed but since this is a basketball board I like to discuss all areas. Since they just won "our" national championship according to many on here I just thought I would point out that they don't seem to be conceding next year either. K is still the best coach and recruiter around. 1000 plus wins 5 championships. He is still getting it done. I would argue that we have had the most talent of any team in the country the last 6 years and Cal has been an amazing recruiter but and I think we all expected more than one championship out of this mass of talent. I don't like Duke but they are again the talk of the town...and it appears that next years top 10 guys all really like them as well.

They will have a chance next year. I don't see any teams that are going to be clear favorites next year. Of course we will have a chance next year for the same reason. 2016 is going to be a down year for NCAA basketball. They are not any teams the quality of 2015 UK, Wisconsin, Arizona and Duke.

I am sure not obsessed but since this is a basketball board I like to discuss all areas. Since they just won "our" national championship according to many on here I just thought I would point out that they don't seem to be conceding next year either. K is still the best coach and recruiter around. 1000 plus wins 5 championships. He is still getting it done. I would argue that we have had the most talent of any team in the country the last 6 years and Cal has been an amazing recruiter but and I think we all expected more than one championship out of this mass of talent. I don't like Duke but they are again the talk of the town...and it appears that next years top 10 guys all really like them as well.
I dislike K as much as anybody but the folks on this board proclaiming he would retire in April couldn't have been more wrong. Not only did he win 'our' national championship, he took the PG we recruited for TWO years and got him to reclassify, and he's doing a pretty good job taking the OAD approach and making it look child's play. Cal's response of making Barbee a recruiter puzzles me.

Thornton is not Tyus Jones. I gram is not a Winslow whose biggest contribution was that he was strong, played rough & made up for Okafor's softness.

I do believe Ingram will have a big year! But I just see way too many holes in that team to think they are an automatic title contender. They will live & die by the 3[/QUOTE
They had one inside player this year and basically 4 guards and we had the biggest team in the history of college basketball....how did that work out?.....I think many of us underestimate the importance coaching, game management, and offensive execution. Dukes teams may not guard as well as we do but they can flat out score the ball and they recruit shooters and scorers. We have had great athletes but as we often found out with Joe B. Hall talent alone does not win championships. We lost in 2010, 2011, 2014, and 2015 because we couldn't score the ball. We had the most talented teams in the history of the program in 2010 and 2015....and guess who won the championships both years....Look I am glad Cal is at UK...5 of the last 6 years have been really enjoyable but I have to admit...losing twice to UCONN and to Wisconsin and WVA when we were better has put a bitter end on the season for me. I don't like being the Buffalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves of college basketball. In my honest opinion if K had had Cal's roster he would have 4 championships of the last 6 years. I believe it telling it like it is....no I don't want Tubby or the idiot back...I endured enough of that...I am just saying I think we all thought we would have number 9 and 10 by now with Cal here.

and he's doing a pretty good job taking the OAD approach and making it look child's play.

Who in this Duke recruiting class is a OAD? Ingram maybe?

Once again- K having talent isn't anything new. Dude's had more talent than anyone for the last 30 years. Pick ANY of his teams...the national champions OR the 1st round upset victims- and they are ALL loaded with bluechip, highly recruited talent.

What you need to watch with Duke isn't when they get a lot of shooters and skill guys- they always have them- it's when they add physical low-post scorers, rim protectors and athletic wings, ie. Okafor and Winslow.

That's why I'm curious about the outrage over this class. It's a good one for Duke, but it's very similar to the formula that has led to Duke getting beat in March. You have a lot of skill guys and perimeter firepower but not much in the way of athletes who can play D and get to the rim on offense.

Duke will not come close to winning a title next year. They have zero inside presence.

Yeah, ZERO! No big guys at all!

Well, ..except for Chase Jeter, Amile Jefferson, Marshall Plumlee, Sean Obi, and Michael Ingram--a group that will give them more "inside presence" than almost everyone else.. . But, hey, we'll just round that off to zero. ....same thing, right?

Yeah, ZERO! No big guys at all!

Well, ..except for Chase Jeter, Amile Jefferson, Marshall Plumlee, Sean Obi, and Michael Ingram--a group that will give them more "inside presence" than almost everyone else.. . But, hey, we'll just round that off to zero. ....same thing, right?

Read who you just listed. Haha.

But you know what- if you're that impressed with Duke, by all means, go root for them next year.

Read who you just listed. Haha.

Compared to who? I think some of you guys have gotten so jaded by our star studded rosters the last few years that you've forgotten what normal college basketball teams look like.

How many teams out there have a more impressive collection of big men? Not damn many. All but one of those guys were McDonald's All Americans, and the only one who wasn't (Obi) was reportedly extremely impressive his freshman year, so much so that he was deemed too good to be playing at Rice and transferred to Duke, plus two of those guys are experience-laden seniors. That's a better collection of bigs than nearly everyone else has. .

Maybe they don't have Okafor anymore, but to say they have "zero" inside is patently absurd. .

I'm comparing that roster of bigs to what Coach K has had in his non-championship years the last decade. This Duke team resembles those squads- which had a tough time in the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT