ADVERTISEMENT

There is almost a feeling of embarrassment. Will someone accept a scholarship

Diallo won't be going anywhere but KU or St. John's
10-12-2012-john-calipari-thumbs-up-4_3.jpg

I think a lot of people, including some of the big-time recruits in the 2015 HS class, view Kentucky's failure to win the 2015 NCAA championship with nine McDonald's All-Americans plus Willie Cauley-Stein (who was not a McDonald's A-A) as an epic fail. It goes a long way toward shooting down the invitation to "come to U.K. and win a national championship." I suspect that it will take 2 or 3 years to outlive that notion on the recruiting trail.

Just MHO, of course.

Some kids want to be "The Man". They want to be the focal point of the offense as well as the instant leader of their team. At UK everything is earned, some kids want assurances before committing to a school. We have been blessed to have great kids play here under Cal. I want that to continue and I know it will as long as Coach Cal is here. He will not take kids that aren't sold out on making themselves the best player they can be and in turn making our team the best it can be.

You need to trust Cal's system. Simple as that.
I

I think a lot of people, including some of the big-time recruits in the 2015 HS class, view Kentucky's failure to win the 2015 NCAA championship with nine McDonald's All-Americans plus Willie Cauley-Stein (who was not a McDonald's A-A) as an epic fail. It goes a long way toward shooting down the invitation to "come to U.K. and win a national championship." I suspect that it will take 2 or 3 years to outlive that notion on the recruiting trail.

Just MHO, of course.
no way. Unless we're losing recruits to duke any team they go to had a crappier season than we did. And I've always thought the pitch with Cal was "come to UK and go to the NBA (get drafted)" . Cal's certainly not promising any ncaa titles. If getting only 2 top-ten recruits and having a top 2-3 class is our "down" recruiting year...I'll take it

Reactions: bluescat92
Cal has missed on Wiggins, Okafor, now Brown. He can't recruit the best of the best anymore, he's lost his touch. If missing on #1 guys wasn't bad, now he's missing on guys not even in the top 5 like Zimmerman or guys who were supposed to be locks like Newman!

not srs. In fact I am embarrassed that a fellow UK fan is "embarrassed" to only be getting 2 top 10 players and a couple more 4 stars...

I am embarrassed honestly. Newman and Zimmerman just made bad decisions. Simple as that. This is UK we are the alpha males of college basketball. Its these kid's loss just as much as ours. Newman will never be looked at the way he would have been had he came here. We'll get Murray and Diallo though so its pretty much just their loss actually.

The OP is simply frustrated because it has been a long time since we have had any good news, other than Poytress returning and most expected that. Many of you are too obsessed with being jerks so it clouds your ability to give legitimate answers. In addition, those of you that boast that we have the best class already are not realizing the fact that us having the best class is really not a luxury since we lost our whole team nearly, so having a great class is a necessity in order for to even make the tournament next year. Cal has proven that not even having overwhelming talent can get us a championship, and as our roster for next year stands currently, we are not overwhelmingly talented. We are a sweet 16, 28-10 type of team at the moment in my opinion. Adding 2 more good players is a must in my mind if we are to erase the horrible taste in our collective mouths that April fourth delivered.

Sorry but that jerk thing can go both ways

I am embarrassed honestly. Newman and Zimmerman just made bad decisions. Simple as that. This is UK we are the alpha males of college basketball. Its these kid's loss just as much as ours. Newman will never be looked at the way he would have been had he came here. We'll get Murray and Diallo though so its pretty much just their loss actually.

Both wanted to stay home how can that be wrong? They don't really care about your opinion you know that right?

Never dreamed in a million years that this many players would turn us down. Is 4 final fours in 5 years not enough? How many players do we have to send to the draft? Just seems unreal. Players going to Cal, Marquette, unlv, and here people like Meyer are saying Maker goes to Arizona St and Murray to Oregon. It's almost like, did Cal piss someone off, will a single player accept a scholarship. I mean, hell we are losing 5th seniors to Illinois and Ingram says he chose Bama over UK. Feels like a twilight zone episode. I expect Diallo to KU and Jaylen Brown is 100% Adidas. Ingram will never leave State of North Carolina. Will we only be left standing with our hat in our hand and only get a Juco player, and who knows if that even happens. It's like Kate Upton all of the sudden not being able to get a date.

o_O

Just MHO, of course.
No offense, but that's bull. You need to look up the percentage of #1 overall seeds that have won the ncaa tourney over the last 30 years. The percentage is shockingly low. Remember the 1991 UNLV team, the 1983 Houston team with 2 hall of fame players, remember 1985 Georgetown with Ewing. The point is, the tourney isn't like NBA, it's not best of 5 or best of 7. So your argument is nonsensical. Going to 4 Final fours in 5 years is unreal.

some legally insane comments in this thread. is this a joke?

ulis
hawkins
briscoe
matthews
mulder
poythress
willis
lee
labissiere

and possibly murray, diallo or anyone left we're recruiting. it's not about hit and miss anymore. it's about gravy. skal is the #1 pick. duke ran with plumlee backing up okafor. we have a top team right now. lee, poythress, ulis, hawkins, willis all have 6 months of basketball conditioning ahead. we return 3 upper class man with deep tournament experience and could arguably have 4 top 30 picks in next year's draft. maybe more. it's a long time to november.

some are chomping at the bit here. if you guys think cal is circling the wagons with former players playing in the playoffs right now all i can do is laugh. this time the cupboard isn't empty. this will be nothing like 2013. briscoe alone is worth one tournament win. no one on that team came close to his talent with the the basketball.

Anymore it seems like kids know they'll play one year and regardless if its st UK or anywhere else I'm one and done. So, why not stay home, because I'm going to be NBA ready regardless of where I go. These kids could care less about tradition, championships, prestige. Its about them. At UK, playing is earned, you gotta play defense, no one will take 25 shots a game. Of course, Duke winning it with one and dones showed everyone they don't have to go to UK to win one and be a lottery pick. We are use to turning kids away, makes me wonder now if the ones like Bragg that wanted to come that got away, if Cal wished he would've pursited them harder. After the run we've had I never thought it'd be like this. Just am thankful for what we have coming in. Think Cal is going to have to adjust, just like other coaches had to adjust to recruiting against him and the one and done philosophy.

Just MHO, of course.

That's insane. We've been if 4 of the last 5 final fours. Recruits have a better shot of winning a title here based on us always playing on the last weekend of the tourney and they know that. Its just an odd class. It has nothing to do with losing to Wisconsin.

Your gonna feel pretty silly in about 2 weeks.. It ain't over until their all signed and I know I won't be disappointed. We'll lose some games next year but we'll be right there when it counts...

Anymore it seems like kids know they'll play one year and regardless if its st UK or anywhere else I'm one and done. So, why not stay home, because I'm going to be NBA ready regardless of where I go. These kids could care less about tradition, championships, prestige. Its about them.

I think the above statement sums it up quite well.

Hmmm...we have already had 2 top 10 kids commit & another 4star.

We've really been spoiled.

4-5 years ago we'd be estactic & walking with a Swag.

Yeah, some are spoiled but are you not wondering what is going on with class? We prolly would be ecstatic with this class before Cal came but THIS ISNT BEFORE CAL CAME. This is after an incredible 5 yr run and 20+ players drafted. So, please stop with the whole "youre a spoiled whiny brat who doesn't remember what it was like before Cal" routine that many on here like to scream. Are you really not wondering what the hell is going on with this class? Cause I know I am for sure! I don't think its anything Cal is doing wrong by any means, I just think that this class seems different than those in the past. For everything that we have to offer the elite recruits this upcoming season in form of playing time, exposure, and COACH CAL'S ability to developed kids quickly, I just don't understand how recruits aren't lining up trying to get the scholly before someone else grabs it. The only thing I can come up with is that this class has a lot of "me" guys who want to be the man and Cal has made it obvious that this is not the place for guys like that. That's the only thing I can come up with but don't bash a guy for calling out what I think is obvious. Don't agree with everything that OP said but I think that asking what is going on with this class is an obvious question. I know myself and all my buddies are wondering asking this exact question and I'm sure as hell no troll, I can guarantee that much.

Reactions: brianpoe

Just MHO, of course.
I think you are probably right but I also think the two platoon system is at fault as much as I liked it under the circumstances. We probably would not have brought in several of those guys last year had they or anyone else known so many of our guys were coming back. I believe the hottest players coming out of high school believe they should be on the floor as long as they are playing well and don't ask to come out. Most of them figure if they sign with us and others do the same, they'll be playing half games and sitting too much. That in itself probably spells the doom of two platoon, unfortunately. I will always believe Cal handled it right but I doubt you ever see it again.

Reactions: brianpoe

Just MHO, of course.

Never heard that invitation before.

Then again, you may be correct. They are so turned off by Kentucky they are committing to other schools with the invitation, "Heck with Kentucky, come to (insert school) and make it past the first weekend".

It is so embarrassing to have the # 2 class in the nation and very well could end up with the # 1 class again. Who has Louisville signed again?

ADVERTISEMENT