ADVERTISEMENT

The UofL Crime syndicate to be investigated?

DrH. Lecter

All-American
Apr 5, 2007
http://insiderlouisville.com/metro/...ail&utm_term=0_5ccd89012b-7302cfabbb-70795989

From athletics to the executive offices at LilBro.....the corruption is everywhere.

The office of state Auditor Adam Edelen is considering launching an investigation into the University of Louisville Foundation after recent reports from Insider Louisville and other media outlets revealed millions of dollars in deferred compensation payments for some of the university’s top employees

It looks like Ramsey is taking care of his harem.

According to recent tax documents, Ramsey received $2,437,312 in deferred compensation from the Foundation last year, the result of an incentives package that vested in 2013. Willihnganz, who is leaving her post later this year, received $1,879,462 from the Foundation in the same year. And Ramsey’s chief of staff, longtime U of L employee Kathleen Smith, received $1,334,402 in deferred compensation.

It is typical for universities to provide deferred compensation to presidents. However, it is rare for such incentives to be offered to provosts and even more unusual for them to be provided to a university president’s chief of staff.

Earlier this month, WDRB reported that the deferred compensation packages for the three officials were backdated to provide investment results from the past, and that Smith and Willihnganz were also each paid as much as $78,000 for an average workload of two hours per week from a separate organization created by the Foundation.

From the YUM Center's illegal financing scheme to the payments of millions of dollars as deferred comp to the woman who takes care of the Chief's "staff" wink wink.... the entire place is dirty. It is its own play toy. Hopefully the state will finally step in to take control of this corrupt institution. Jurich and Ramsey should be frog marched to jail.

Lets take a look at Willihnganz (Sounds like his willie in her hands) who received $1.879mil. Her lovely parting gift for doing exactly what?

http://insiderlouisville.com/metro/education-community/u-l-provost-stepping/

The university also has seen its share of scandal in the past several years, including flawed dean searches at the law school, business school, and college of education. In addition, U of L has seen at least two cases of embezzlement — one by a former dean and another by a university official.

The university and Willihnganz also have been under fire for allegations of financial mismanagement and lack of oversight. They were heavily scrutinized after a supposed outside auditof university finances last year turned out to be little more than a brief set of recommendations. The audit did highlight the university’s absence of a chief financial officer and chief operating officer, duties Willihnganz had carried out in her role as provost. As a result, she was stripped of those duties and a new CFO/COO position was created.

Willihnganz also was accused last year of retaliating against U of L’s former VP of human resources, who claimed he was fired after lodging a formal complaint against her.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why UL hired the lawyer from UNCheat. Used to working for corrupt institutions.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Zero ethics/morals from the top administrator down to the lowliest linebeard passed out in the gutter after a night of thuggin'.

I hope the state cleans up the most corrupt institution in the state. While they are at it see how in the world the city agreed to such a sweetheart deal for the Yum bucket and fix that for the taxpayers.

Ramsey received $2,437,312 in deferred compensation from the Foundation last year

what other President of ANY university gets that kind of Compensation? That's why is so Damn high to go to school any more!

that Compensation doesn't even include what the University is paying him....

The corruption is rampant at that school. They paid several people serious "shut up" money in the last couple of years. Hopefully somebody steps up and busts that place.

Ramsey received $2,437,312 in deferred compensation from the Foundation last year

what other President of ANY university gets that kind of Compensation? That's why is so Damn high to go to school any more!

that Compensation doesn't even include what the University is paying him....
The deferred compensation is the salary he didn't receive in the past that he was supposed to, if I understand correctly.

But president's salaries are hardly the reason why college costs so much. Their salary is barely a drop of water in a 5-gallon bucket that is the yearly operating costs of colleges. At many high level D1 institutions like Louisville, the President isn't even the highest paid school employee. Many times the highest paid state employees are head coaches or director of some medical facility.

Zero ethics/morals from the top administrator down to the lowliest linebeard passed out in the gutter after a night of thuggin'.

lol3.gif

I hope the state cleans up the most corrupt institution in the state. While they are at it see how in the world the city agreed to such a sweetheart deal for the Yum bucket and fix that for the taxpayers.
I can't sit back and let that one go. UofL bent over backwards to accomodate the city in the arena deal. Fred Cowgill of WLKY even said as much. UofL didn't want to come downtown at all. They wanted to move on campus but the good stewards that UofL athletics are for this city, agreed to go downtown to help make the YUM center work. If not for UofL, the YUM Center would be a complete failure. Thanks to UofL, the YUM Center is not only the best arena in the country, it is hugely successful. Didn't you enjoy the tournament this year? How about the regionals coming here next year? Volleyball titles, swimming events, concerts, women's basketball that draws better than most men's programs? Face it, as much as you guys want the arena to be a flop, it's not. If there was this financial debacle that you all keep alluding to, why has it never been in the Couier or any of the local news stations? They would be all over it.

The corruption is rampant at that school. They paid several people serious "shut up" money in the last couple of years. Hopefully somebody steps up and busts that place.
Okay, I'll bite. Hush money for what exactly? I can't wait to hear this.

I can't sit back and let that one go. UofL bent over backwards to accomodate the city in the arena deal. Fred Cowgill of WLKY even said as much. UofL didn't want to come downtown at all. They wanted to move on campus but the good stewards that UofL athletics are for this city, agreed to go downtown to help make the YUM center work. If not for UofL, the YUM Center would be a complete failure. Thanks to UofL, the YUM Center is not only the best arena in the country, it is hugely successful. Didn't you enjoy the tournament this year? How about the regionals coming here next year? Volleyball titles, swimming events, concerts, women's basketball that draws better than most men's programs? Face it, as much as you guys want the arena to be a flop, it's not. If there was this financial debacle that you all keep alluding to, why has it never been in the Couier or any of the local news stations? They would be all over it.

Hugely successful? Aren't they about to default on their loan?

As for why the local news of paper don't cover it. You have got to be kidding?

Reactions: BrowDown23
Okay, I'll bite. Hush money for what exactly? I can't wait to hear this.

Its unknown at this point. Thus the call for investigations. UL has even denied the FOI requests, iirc.

Im ok with the YUM center deal. Its a great thing for the city and therefore the state.

Also kudos to Insider Louisville, they've really been the only media in the city pushing this issue.

Reactions: gocatswin
Hugely successful? Aren't they about to default on their loan?

As for why the local news of paper don't cover it. You have got to be kidding?
How do you default on a loan when you are operating in the black. Per a paper a couple of years ago that UofL fan provided on this very board, the YUM Center is completely paid off. What type of loan are you talking about exactly?

Its unknown at this point. Thus the call for investigations. UL has even denied the FOI requests, iirc.

Im ok with the YUM center deal. Its a great thing for the city and therefore the state.

Also kudos to Insider Louisville, they've really been the only media in the city pushing this issue.
So in other words the earlier post was pointless because they've supposedly been paying hush money to cover up things that may or may not need covering up? So how do you know it's hush money exactly if you don't even know what needs to be hushed?

As for Insider Louisville, they should be ashamed for trying to start things that just aren't there. That's why they are not a credible news source. It's likely run by fans with a grudge against UofL.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/28837365/...troactive-investment-returns-for-deferred-pay

WDRB's review of foundation records also reveals:

- Each of the three U of L executives was credited with deferred pay that was dated months or years in the past and retro-actively credited with investment results.

- Smith and Willihnganz were at times paid by not only the university and the foundation, but a third organization created by the foundation – as much as $78,000 for an average workload of two hours a week, according to tax forms.

- Ramsey received $2.5 million from the foundation in 2007-2008 due, in part, to a large retirement payout meant to mimic a state pension.

- The foundation provides Ramsey with perks like a long-term care insurance policy paying $100,000 annually for life and a $12,000 annual “car allowance” for his wife.

Documents also show the foundation's former vice chairman, Burt Deutsch -- who for years has been the board's de-facto spokesman on sensitive issues like executive compensation -- is now a $120,000-per-year consultant for the foundation.

Deutsch's paid work began when he left the board in September 2013, and the arrangement was not approved by the board or advertised for competitive bidding.

The deeper you get into the story...and I encourage you to read the associated links in my OP....the deeper you get you see just how totally corrupt the UofL is under Ramsey. We've seen it here because of the way Jurich runs his athletic department kingdom...but this with Ramsey may even make Jurich look like a choir boy. Sure Jurich is dirty and does similar things with his own family at LilBro and of course lacking ethics with the coaches...I get that. But the real money in their schemes is in the LilBro BILLION dollar foundation. That is Ramsey's personal slush fund. Amazing really that the local media has just decided to poke around in this.

Reactions: crawfords corner
So in other words the earlier post was pointless because they've supposedly been paying hush money to cover up things that may or may not need covering up? So how do you know it's hush money exactly if you don't even know what needs to be hushed?

As for Insider Louisville, they should be ashamed for trying to start things that just aren't there. That's why they are not a credible news source. It's likely run by fans with a grudge against UofL.

If you want to stick your head in the sand, then fine. But it was a circulating story last year or so when UL started paying unusually large "severance packages" which were grossly above market rate.

Insider Louisville should be commended. iirc, they are the ones who pushed the FOI requests and the only media doing any investigating/reporting at all on this topic.

Louisville is a minor league town, a college town. This kind of thing wouldn't have happened otherwise.....

How do you default on a loan when you are operating in the black. Per a paper a couple of years ago that UofL fan provided on this very board, the YUM Center is completely paid off. What type of loan are you talking about exactly?
http://insiderlouisville.com/news/d...nder-the-current-u-of-larena-authority-lease/

I linked an article from 2013.
Here is a breakdown of his findings from InsiderLouisville.com:
• Lost more than $50,000 per day during 2011
• Lost more than $37,000 per day during 2012
• For each UofL men’s game the Arena Authority incurred a $33,235 loss
• For each women’s game the Arena Authority incurred a $87,624 loss
• For each “Other UofL sponsored event” the Arena Authority incurred a $87,624 loss
• For 2011, Frankenberger calculates an $18 million loss.

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
http://insiderlouisville.com/news/d...nder-the-current-u-of-larena-authority-lease/

I linked an article from 2013.
Here is a breakdown of his findings from InsiderLouisville.com:
• Lost more than $50,000 per day during 2011
• Lost more than $37,000 per day during 2012
• For each UofL men’s game the Arena Authority incurred a $33,235 loss
• For each women’s game the Arena Authority incurred a $87,624 loss
• For each “Other UofL sponsored event” the Arena Authority incurred a $87,624 loss
• For 2011, Frankenberger calculates an $18 million loss.
Again, all you have is insider louisville. It's pretty clear they have an axe to grind with UofL. If these numbers were reality the Courier, WLKY, WDRB, WHAS, WAVE, 84 WHAS, WKRD, etc. would be screaming for more investigation or do stories on this. However, I've seen nothing. To me this is clearly a publication trying to make a name for themselves off of the backs of the university. If there was anything of substance here this news would take off until it brought down the powers that be that botched this. Since there are none, put me in the camp that regards this a baseless drivel at best.

Again, all you have is insider louisville. It's pretty clear they have an axe to grind with UofL. If these numbers were reality the Courier, WLKY, WDRB, WHAS, WAVE, 84 WHAS, WKRD, etc. would be screaming for more investigation or do stories on this. However, I've seen nothing. To me this is clearly a publication trying to make a name for themselves off of the backs of the university. If there was anything of substance here this news would take off until it brought down the powers that be that botched this. Since there are none, put me in the camp that regards this a baseless drivel at best.

Nice attempt at an ad hominem. Is the outlet trying to make a name for itself? Maybe. But theyre still reporting facts. Indisputable facts actually. And this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

They have Tom Jurich to keep them quiet. If they speak, those credentials are yanked. Why is IL the only ones to report this? Because they don't have a dog in the fight with Jurich, they are independent of the corruption. Its pretty easy to see that UL essentially negotiated with itself when it came to the arena. As for the arena, most wanted it at the water company site where the Omni hotel is going I believe. There was an extra few million spent in building a massive flood wall for the arena. Overall if the arena were built at the water company site it would have been about 100 million less.

Also, the YUM is not paid off, there are bonds that need to be paid and John Q Taxpayer gets the shaft on those to pay. The city contributes a massive amount of money each year from taxpayers to help pay that off.

Nice attempt at an ad hominem. Is the outlet trying to make a name for itself? Maybe. But theyre still reporting facts. Indisputable facts actually. And this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
You're missing my point. IF those are facts, other outlets would be running with this because it would be news. However, no one else is. That means they can't validate this information that Insider Louisville somehow has managed to come up with. Sorry but when more than a publication I've never heard of starts writing stories, I'll listen. Until then you can continue with your conspiracies.

Try actually READING before showing your ignorance. From my OP....and from post 15 in this thread.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/28837365/...troactive-investment-returns-for-deferred-pay

Story has also been reported today on WHAS 840.

So rather than shooting the messenger...you may try to educate yourself.

You're missing my point. IF those are facts, other outlets would be running with this because it would be news. However, no one else is. That means they can't validate this information that Insider Louisville somehow has managed to come up with. Sorry but when more than a publication I've never heard of starts writing stories, I'll listen. Until then you can continue with your conspiracies.

Allow me to disabused you of your seeming willful ignorance. The CJ is a news paper in Louisville just in case you've never heard of it. They are famous for their conspiracy theories...generally against the University of KY.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...op-execs-make-millions-deferred-pay/23299327/

When University of Louisville Provost Shirley Willihnganz announced last week that she is stepping down, the university said her current salary is $342,694. But that represents only a small fraction of what she's been paid at U of L.

Tax records for the U of L foundation show that Willihnganz, who is also the university's executive vice president, was paid about $1.8 million in deferred compensation in 2012-13.

The same records show the foundation paid deferred compensation of $2.4 million to President James Ramsey that year and $1.3 million to Chief of Staff Kathleen Smith.

This has nothing to do with athletics so who really cares? Plus, my converstions with others on this topic have been in regards to the YUM Center.

I started this thread pal. Go display your ignorance in another topic if you cannot keep up with the subject matter in this one.

Just FYI, I am not a new poster. I was on these boards for a long time. Under this current name and most recently the name Petjurino just so you know.

Its not an intelligent play to come here in defense of Jurich-Ramsey et al, using a completely idiotic defense (shooting the messenger) when it is very clear that this story has been and is currently being reported by the CJ, WHAS, WDRB as well as the smaller LI publication. You are entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts.

Its not an intelligent play to come here in defense of Jurich-Ramsey et al, using a completely idiotic defense (shooting the messenger) when it is very clear that this story has been and is currently being reported by the CJ, WHAS, WDRB as well as the smaller LI publication. You are entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts.
Well, if these things are being reported they are not doing a very good job. Until I got on this board, I had not heard anything about this. No one is talking about it at work or anywhere else I go for that matter. You guys seem to be the only ones discussing it. Sorry but this would be big news. That's why I find it laughable.

They have Tom Jurich to keep them quiet. If they speak, those credentials are yanked.....

I know that's the popular theory. My guess - just a hunch - is that Jurich's influence is wielded not through game credentials, but rather through advertisers. Again, this is a small town. Clout, influence, power, all that is concentrated in a relative few hands. The Courier, for example, depends on advertising, and my guess is the major advertising dollars comes from just a handful of local businesses, and that Jurich probably knows those people. If you want to assume Jurich is willing to force local media to portray UofL sports in the best light, that's how he might do it. Rather than withold credentials, which would out quickly and make him look bad....

Surely Pitonrong is a troll. Surely. At least I hope so.

Anyway, huge story on the verge of breaking.

He,she,or it is a Lil' Brother Fan that spews UK Hate over on the OTIS Forums,laughingly here try to defend his pride and joy by bringing a squirt gun to a forest fire. Shows how ignorant the average UL Fan is,they have NO knowledge of all the shady dealings that have been going on under Pitino,Jurich,and now Ramsey.I'm sure at this point pitonrong never heard of Pitino's 15 seconds of fame and all those pay offs or Why Pitino left his DNA on a table after hours at Porcinis,how the Trainer married Karen Sypher to cover for slick,hoe his Dirty Redbirds hired Clint Hurtt ,you know the crooked Miami Football Recruiter,I could make a long list of the shady dealings over at USmell ,but Tard Fans are like the three monkeys
th

Last edited:
Well, if these things are being reported they are not doing a very good job. Until I got on this board, I had not heard anything about this. No one is talking about it at work or anywhere else I go for that matter. You guys seem to be the only ones discussing it. Sorry but this would be big news. That's why I find it laughable.

baghdad_bob.png

Do I need to explain the above meme to you? You don't strike me as being very "aware" of events. So it could be simple ignorance rather than you acting as Baghdad Bob.

The idea that the arena is completely paid off is an outright fabrication. The Arena's OPERATIONS are in the black, but that doesn't account for the cost of BUILDING it. If any medium-sized city could snap their fingers and create an arena out of thin air, it should operate in the black, or its management group should be fired and pistol whipped. But in the real world, you have to pay to build it, which the city/state chose to do with bonds (as most major projects such as this are done), and the arena isn't generating enough money to pay them, despite operating in the black and its tenant keeping millions of dollars from its operation. UofL's deal with the arena is very unusual. In most cases, pro teams lease the arena from the municipality or state for 365 days per year, and are responsible for both the expenses and revenues generated from it, paying a percentage of revenues to the city up to whatever amount the city wants the arena to contribute towards those building costs.

UofL, however, pays a very low flat fee to get use of the arena only on dates they want it...and the day before and after. they pay no operating expenses and keep almost all the revenues they generate, plus the bulk of the signage. In other words, they have no responsibility to the success of the arena, no risk, and all of the reward.

It's a bad deal for the city and state. there's no reason it can't be reworked to keep UofL insanely profitable and the arena in the black...so long as UofL actually DOES have the best interests of the community at heart.

Maybe you missed the Yum Center bonds being lowered to junk status a year and a half ago (detailed by Business First). That is a sure sign of financial problems. The only reason that the debt service is being made at this time is that the city of Louisville is having to kick in $9 million per year to cover the shortfall. Finally, the arena authority redefined the TIF area (two years after it was originally established) in order to game the most tax incentive money out of the state to help pay the debt service. The move was very questionable but our AG (Jack Conway) rubber stamped it because he needs the heavy support of UL donors and fans to be elected governor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2013/12/27/kfc-yum-center-bonds-bordering-on.html

Last edited:
The idea that the arena is completely paid off is an outright fabrication. The Arena's OPERATIONS are in the black, but that doesn't account for the cost of BUILDING it. If any medium-sized city could snap their fingers and create an arena out of thin air, it should operate in the black, or its management group should be fired and pistol whipped. But in the real world, you have to pay to build it, which the city/state chose to do with bonds (as most major projects such as this are done), and the arena isn't generating enough money to pay them, despite operating in the black and its tenant keeping millions of dollars from its operation. UofL's deal with the arena is very unusual. In most cases, pro teams lease the arena from the municipality or state for 365 days per year, and are responsible for both the expenses and revenues generated from it, paying a percentage of revenues to the city up to whatever amount the city wants the arena to contribute towards those building costs.

UofL, however, pays a very low flat fee to get use of the arena only on dates they want it...and the day before and after. they pay no operating expenses and keep almost all the revenues they generate, plus the bulk of the signage. In other words, they have no responsibility to the success of the arena, no risk, and all of the reward.

It's a bad deal for the city and state. there's no reason it can't be reworked to keep UofL insanely profitable and the arena in the black...so long as UofL actually DOES have the best interests of the community at heart.

Being a Louisvillian I am thrilled that we have the YUM Center. Its a positive for the community. As you've noted, its the scheme that Jurich and the others concocted to siphon off all of the profit and none of the debt...back into the athletics dept. It is criminal in fact that this deal has not been overturned by the state legislature. I get that LilBro needed to know that they had control of their destiny in scheduling of the arena. Once their eggs were in the YUM basket they do not really have another fallback position...say if an NBA team ever came to town. And we see Freedom Hall crumbling before our eyes. So it is correct to give them preferential scheduling treatment for the foreseeable future. But to have completely gone overboard by giving them unreasonable blocking of dates as well as allowing them to take all the suite revenue for their games as well as other events...to allow them to take the liquor money and concessions profits etc.... basically taking all of the profit and none of the expense. That is a fraud perpetuated on the citizens of Lou who are on the hook.

But back to my OP and the topic in general. This is about LilBro's arrogance and entitlement to any money it can lay its hands upon. From the top down. They are a rogue organization and I do not think calling them a criminal organization is not to far off the mark.

Being a Louisvillian I am thrilled that we have the YUM Center. Its a positive for the community. As you've noted, its the scheme that Jurich and the others concocted to siphon off all of the profit and none of the debt...back into the athletics dept. It is criminal in fact that this deal has not been overturned by the state legislature. I get that LilBro needed to know that they had control of their destiny in scheduling of the arena. Once their eggs were in the YUM basket they do not really have another fallback position...say if an NBA team ever came to town. And we see Freedom Hall crumbling before our eyes. So it is correct to give them preferential scheduling treatment for the foreseeable future. But to have completely gone overboard by giving them unreasonable blocking of dates as well as allowing them to take all the suite revenue for their games as well as other events...to allow them to take the liquor money and concessions profits etc.... basically taking all of the profit and none of the expense. That is a fraud perpetuated on the citizens of Lou who are on the hook.

But back to my OP and the topic in general. This is about LilBro's arrogance and entitlement to any money it can lay its hands upon. From the top down. They are a rogue organization and I do not think calling them a criminal organization is not to far off the mark.
It's amazing that that Staples Center can house three pro teams who play 41 home games a piece plus put in all the other events that take place there but no one can share the arena with the University of Louisville.

It's amazing that that Staples Center can house three pro teams who play 41 home games a piece plus put in all the other events that take place there but no one can share the arena with the University of Louisville.

If I were a state wide office holder I sure would be making it one of my platform planks. Investigate and overturn the UofL-YUM contract. Why no one has done that...oh Jack Conway is too busy investigating the price of gas...again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT