ADVERTISEMENT

The United States Open golf thread

Not a fan of courses like this and Bandon Dunes and Whistling Straits. This is the US Open, not The Open. Let that tournament be the one major decided by luck of the draw, weather and unfortunate random bounces.

Last edited:
Not a fan of courses like this and Bandon Dunes. This is the US Open, not The Open. Let that tournament be the one major decided by luck of the draw, weather and unfortunate random bounces.

Exactly.

<--- Not a golf guy by any means, but even I know the US Open is about tight fairways, deep, unforgiving rough, and fast greens. So why do they choose courses like this?

I like it.

Most major U.S. courses are manicured to an extreme level. I like putting some of the big tourneys on courses where guys just can't hit the highest ball flight possible (wind/weather should be a factor with coastal golf). Creativity should be part of the game... although 7600 yards doesn't scream creativity. I'm in favor of more natural courses (ie the renovations at Pinehurst).

Wanted to start this thread early so i could post guys this thread on Chambers Bay.

Every hole with a separate link with pictures.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61107.0.html

I am happy to see the Open being taken to out of the way places. There are plenty of great golf courses not in the eastern time zone which usual suspects always seem to get the Open, e.g., Winged Foot, Oakmont, Brookline, et al. We will see how it plays out, but I like the idea.

Last edited:
Not a fan of courses like this and Bandon Dunes and Whistling Straits. This is the US Open, not The Open. Let that tournament be the one major decided by luck of the draw, weather and unfortunate random bounces.

^ This!! The rainy northwest, I hope it rains every damn day. That is one goofy looking course, I would not pay a nickel to play it.

Pretty hole.

Hole%2015%20-%20WP_20130901_117%20%28800x450%29.jpg

Doesn't bother me too much. The US has terrain that's incredibly, incredibly diverse.......deserts, forests, mountains, plains, coastal, dunes, lakes, rivers, swamps, etc. I like them moving around to locations that reflect this.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Chase_
Picking a winner to this thing will be pretty impossible. Mike Davis even went as far to say if you don't come see it before the US Open you cannot win it. So this thing is wide open. Spieth may have an advantage because his caddie is from that area and knows the course as well as anyone. I wonder if any of the lower ranked guys will have a local caddie?

Picking a winner to this thing will be pretty impossible. Mike Davis even went as far to say if you don't come see it before the US Open you cannot win it. So this thing is wide open. Spieth may have an advantage because his caddie is from that area and knows the course as well as anyone. I wonder if any of the lower ranked guys will have a local caddie?

I'd like to play a course like this. (although, I'm sure I'd lose an entire box of E6's) I'm not very good, but I prefer courses that you have to strategize a bit.......instead of just grabbing the longest club and giving it a hack. Some of the wide open courses out there are too much. Might as well just go the driving range.

A couple guys to keep an eye on if you are in any fantasy stuff: In particular Moore.

MICHAEL PUTNAM: Imagine all of the pressure he felt to get through – and then the relief after he closed with 64 to lead the toughest sectional. Putnam lives about a mile and a half from Chambers Bay, his dad still walks the four-and-a-half-mile loop around the course each morning, and he estimated that he’s played there about 40 times. That’s a big deal, remember, because USGA executive director Mike Davis cautioned that only the players who took the necessary time to learn the course had a chance to win. Putnam isn’t the favorite next week, of course, but he is one of two local products in the field, along with Ryan Moore. Last week Moore, who grew up about 15 miles from Chambers Bay, said that he “can’t go anywhere” without being asked about the upcoming Open venue. To have a rare home game, it’s definitely worth it.

Rory McIlroy 5/1
Jordan Spieth 8/1
Dustin Johnson 18/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Rickie Fowler 20/1
Jason Day 22/1
Adam Scott 25/1
Bubba Watson 30/1
Henrik Stenson 30/1
Hideki Matsuyama 35/1
Jim Furyk 35/1
Matt Kuchar 35/1
Sergio Garcia 35/1
Jimmy Walker 40/1
Martin Kaymer 45/1
Patrick Reed 45/1
Tiger Woods 50/1
Brandt Snedeker 55/1
Billy Horschel 65/1
Brooks Koepka 70/1
Graeme McDowell 70/1
Hunter Mahan 70/1
Keegan Bradley 70/1
Lee Westwood 70/1
Louis Oosthuizen 70/1
Paul Casey 70/1
Ryan Moore 70/1
Webb Simpson 70/1
Zach Johnson 70/1
Bill Haas 90/1
Chris Kirk 90/1
Ian Poulter 90/1
J.B. Holmes 90/1
Francesco Molinari 100/1
Jason Dufner 100/1
Charl Schwartzel 110/1
Charley Hoffman 110/1
Gary Woodland 110/1
Harris English 110/1
Jamie Donaldson 110/1
Kevin Na 110/1
Ryan Palmer 110/1
Victor Dubuisson 110/1
Angel Cabrera 150/1
Brendon Todd 150/1
Daniel Berger 150/1
Ernie Els 150/1
Geoff Ogilvy 150/1
Graham DeLaet 150/1
John Senden 150/1
Kevin Streelman 150/1
Luke Donald 150/1
Marc Leishman 150/1
Padraig Harrington 150/1
Russell Henley 150/1
Shane Lowery 150/1
Nick Watney 160/1
Steve Stricker 160/1
Bernd Wiesberger 200/1
Branden Grace 200/1
Brendon de Jonge 200/1
Cameron Tringale 200/1
Charles Howell III 200/1
Danny Willett 200/1
Jonas Blixt 200/1
K.J. Choi 200/1
Kevin Chappell 200/1
Matt Jones 200/1
Miguel Angel Jimenez 200/1
Peter Uihlein 200/1
Russell Knox 200/1
Sang-Moon Bae 200/1
Seung-Yul Noh 200/1
Thorbjorn Olesen 200/1
Ben Martin 250/1
Brendan Steele 250/1
Jason Kokrak 250/1
Joost Luiten 250/1
Justin Thomas 250/1
Matt Every 250/1
Morgan Hoffman 250/1
Scott Piercy 250/1
Shawn Stefani 250/1
Thomas Bjorn 250/1
Tim Clark 250/1
Vijay Singh 250/1
Boo Weekley 300/1
Erik Compton 300/1
Lucas Glover 300/1
Stephen Gallacher 300/1
Thongchai Jaidee 300/1
Anirban Lahiri 500/1
Colin Montgomerie 1000/1
Darren Clarke 1000/1
Gunn Yang 1000/1
Ollie Schniederjans 1000/1
Bradley Neil 2000/1

Vegas odds on US Open

According to this, Tiger at 50-1, has the 18th best odds to win. Guess anything is possible but just don't see this at all.

This would be a US Open to make some money. A relative no name is as likely to win it as a big name,imo

I wouldn't mind to see him win, but I think you're throwing your money away on McIlroy. His game and temperament aren't suited to having to land the ball 10, 20, 30 yards short of the green and hoping it rolls up to where you want it to go.

I wouldn't mind to see him win, but I think you're throwing your money away on McIlroy. His game and temperament aren't suited to having to land the ball 10, 20, 30 yards short of the green and hoping it rolls up to where you want it to go.
He's won The British Open, pretty much what you do there isn't it?

He has been solid a couple of the past few weeks, Nick Watney $10 bet @ 160-1, Luke Donald at 150-1, Keegan Bradley @ 70-1 for the longer odds guys.

TV Coverage: .........TEE TIMES will be out today around noon

Thursday, June 18
FOX: 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
FOX Sports 1: Noon-8 p.m.
FOX Sports Go: 1-10 p.m.
Livestream at USGA.com: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.

Friday, June 19
FOX: 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
FOX Sports 1: Noon-8 p.m.
FOX Sports Go: 1-10 p.m.
Livestream at USGA.com: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.

Saturday, June 20
FOX: 2-11 p.m.
FOX Sports Go: 2-10 p.m.
Livestream at USGA.com: 2-10 p.m.

Sunday, June 21
FOX: 2-11 p.m.
FOX Sports Go: 2-10 p.m.
Livestream at USGA.com: 2-10 p.m.

Monday, June 22 (if needed for playoff round)
FOX: TBD

Going to interesting to see how Fox Sports does on this. At least we don't have to listen to Johnny Miller.

Going to interesting to see how Fox Sports does on this. At least we don't have to listen to Johnny Miller.

Poor Johnny...I remember him whining about NBC losing the USO to Fox at the end of last years tournament. I haven't checked but who is Fox going to have commentating? Regarding JM, I definitely think he can be smug but he doesn't really both me though.

Poor Johnny...I remember him whining about NBC losing the USO to Fox at the end of last years tournament. I haven't checked but who is Fox going to have commentating? Regarding JM, I definitely think he can be smug but he doesn't really both me though.
NBC and the golf channel are getting the British Open in 2017 so Miller and the NBC team will be back. For the record i like Miller.

I think a bomber will win this one. It's a long course.

Last edited:
Will be shocked if Tiger makes the cut.

As for the winner, no clue. There are some guys who just play well on really tough courses. Rose, Simpson, Rory, etc. Think this may be one where someone that does not get talked much about wins it, but if I had to bet I would probably go with Rory.

I'm going Spieth or Johnson. Both players have the temperment to get through a course like this.......and the physical prowess as well. This course is so hilly that it will likely fatigue the lesser fit guys.

Joe Buck and Greg Norman, not sure who the on course reporters will be.

All times Eastern

Thursday, Hole No. 1/Friday, Hole No. 10

10 a.m. / 4 p.m. - Michael Putnam, University Place, Wash.; Marcus Fraser, Australia; TBD

10:11 a.m. / 4:11 p.m. - Garth Mulroy, South Africa; Richard Lee, Scottsdale, Ariz.; Lucas Bjerregaard, Denmark

10:22 a.m. / 4:22 p.m. – Jason Allred, Scottsdale, Ariz.; (a) Kyle Jones, Snowflake, Ariz.; Cody Gribble, Dallas, Texas

10:33 a.m. / 4:33 p.m. – Phil Mickelson, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.; Bubba Watson, Bagdad, Fla.; Angel Cabrera, Argentina

10:44 a.m. / 4:44 p.m. – Wen-Chong Liang, People's Republic of China; David Hearn, Canada; Hiroyuki Fujita, Japan

10:55 a.m. / 4:55 p.m. – Robert Streb, Shawnee, Kan.; (a) Lee McCoy, Athens, Ga.; TBD

11:06 a.m. / 5:06 p.m. – George McNeill, Fort Myers, Fla.; Masahiro Kawamura, Japan; Cameron Tringale, Mission Viejo, Calif.

11:17 a.m. / 5:17 p.m. – Henrik Stenson, Sweden; Francesco Molinari, Italy; Brandt Snedeker, Nashville, Tenn.

11:28 a.m. / 5:28 p.m. – Jim Furyk, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.; Miguel Angel Jimenez, Spain; Colin Montgomerie, Scotland

11:39 a.m. / 5:39 p.m. – Brooks Koepka, West Palm Beach, Fla.; Russell Henley, Macon, Ga.; Byeong-Hun An, Republic of Korea

11:50 a.m. / 5:50 p.m. – Jason Dufner, Cleveland, Ohio; Marc Warren, Scotland; Matt Every, Jacksonville, Fla.

12:01 p.m. / 6:01 p.m. – Brandon Hagy, Los Angeles, Calif.; (a) Matthew NeSmith, North Augusta, S.C.; Sebastian Cappelen, Denmark

12:12 p.m. / 6:12 p.m. – (a) Nick Hardy, Northbrook, Ill.; Alex Kim, Fullerton, Calif.; Rich Berberian Jr., Derry, N.H.

Thursday, Hole No. 10 / Friday, Hole No. 1

10 a.m. / 1 p.m. – Troy Kelly, Lakewood, Wash.; Seuk Hyun Baek, Republic of Korea; Cameron Smith, Australia

10:11 a.m. / 1:11 p.m. – John Parry, England; TBD; (a) Jack Maguire, St. Petersburg, Fla.

10:22 a.m. / 1:22 p.m. – Timothy O'Neal, Savannah, Ga.; Stephan Jaeger, Chattanooga, Tenn.; Kurt Barnes, Australia

10:33 a.m. / 1:33 p.m. – Gary Woodland, Topeka, Kan.; Victor Dubuisson, France; John Senden, Australia

10:44 a.m. / 1:44 p.m. – TBD; Morgan Hoffmann, Jupiter, Fla.; Bernd Wiesberger, Austria

10:55 a.m. / 1:55 p.m. – Marcel Siem, Germany; Alexander Levy, France; Brian Harman, St. Simons Island, Ga.

11:06 a.m. / 2:06 p.m. – Hideki Matsuyama, Japan; Graeme McDowell, Northern Ireland; Matt Kuchar, St. Simons Island, Ga.

11:17 a.m. / 2:17 p.m. – Dustin Johnson, Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Adam Scott, Australia; Sergio Garcia, Spain

11:28 a.m. / 2:28 p.m. – Martin Kaymer, Germany; (a) Gunn Yang, Republic of Korea; Rory McIlroy, Northern Ireland

11:39 a.m. / 2:39 p.m. – Patrick Reed, Houston, Texas; Chris Kirk, Milton, Ga.; Jamie Donaldson, Wales

11:50 a.m. / 2:50 p.m. – Webb Simpson, Charlotte, N.C.; Keegan Bradley, Scottsdale, Ariz.; Kevin Na, Diamond Bar, Calif.

12:01 p.m. / 3:01 p.m. – (a) Sam Horsfield, England; Shunsuke Sonoda, Japan; Oliver Farr, Wales

12:12 p.m. / 3:12 p.m. – Kevin Lucas, Folsom, Calif.; Pat Wilson, Andover, N.J.; (a) Cole Hammer, Houston, Texas

Thursday, Hole No. 1 / Friday, Hole No. 10

4 p.m. / 10 a.m. – Jason Palmer, England; Roberto Castro, Atlanta, Ga.; Andres Romero, Argentina

4:11 p.m. / 10:11 a.m. – (a) Denny McCarthy, Rockville, Md.; D.A. Points, Windermere, Fla.; Shiv Kapur, India

4:22 p.m. / 10:22 a.m. – (a) Bryson DeChambeau, Clovis, Calif.; Blayne Barber, Auburn, Ala.; Billy Hurley III, Annapolis, Md.

4:33 p.m. / 10:33 a.m. – Geoff Ogilvy, Australia; Ernie Els, South Africa; Retief Goosen, South Africa

4:44 p.m. / 10:44 a.m. – Bo Van Pelt, Jenks, Okla.; Charlie Beljan, Mesa, Ariz.; Tony Finau, Lehi, Utah

4:55 p.m. / 10:55 a.m. – Lee Janzen, Orlando, Fla.; (a) Oliver Schniederjans, Powder Springs, Ga.; Darren Clarke, Northern Ireland

5:06 p.m. / 11:06 a.m. – Daniel Summerhays, Fruit Heights, Utah; Thomas Aiken, South Africa; Danny Lee, New Zealand

5:17 p.m. / 11:17 a.m. – Jordan Spieth, Dallas, Texas; Jason Day, Australia; Justin Rose, England

5:28 p.m. / 11:28 a.m. – Tiger Woods, Hobe Sound, Fla.; Rickie Fowler, Murrieta, Calif.; Louis Oosthuizen, South Africa

5:39 p.m. / 11:39 a.m. – Jimmy Walker, Boerne, Texas; Zach Johnson, Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Ian Poulter, England

5:50 p.m. / 11:50 a.m. – Ryan Moore, Las Vegas, Nev.; Anirban Lahiri, India; Erik Compton, Coral Gables, Fla.

6:01 p.m. / 12:01 p.m. – (a) Jake Knapp, Costa Mesa, Calif.; Tyler Duncan, Columbus, Ind.; Matt Mabrey, Little Rock, Ark.

6:12 p.m. / 12:12 p.m. – Michael Davan, Hoopeston, Ill.; (a) Davis Riley, Hattiesburg, Miss.; Andrew Pope, Orlando, Fla.

Thursday, Hole No. 10 / Friday, Hole No. 1

4 p.m. / 10 a.m. – Tom Hoge, Fort Worth, Texas; Brad Fritsch, Holly Springs, N.C.; Tjaart van der Walt, South Africa

4:11 p.m. / 10:11 a.m. – Brad Elder, Dallas, Texas; (a) Beau Hossler, Mission Viejo, Calif.; Jamie Lovemark, Scottsdale, Ariz.

4:22 p.m. / 10:22 a.m. – Ryo Ishikawa, Japan; Luke Donald, England; J.B. Holmes, Campbellsville, Ky.

4:33 p.m. / 10:33 a.m. – Lucas Glover, Tequesta, Fla.; (a) Bradley Neil, Scotland; Marc Leishman, Australia

4:44 p.m. / 10:44 a.m. – Ryan Palmer, Colleyville, Texas; Joost Luiten, Netherlands; Danny Willett, England

4:55 p.m. / 10:55 a.m. – TBD; George Coetzee, South Africa; Alexander Noren, Sweden

5:06 p.m. / 11:06 a.m. – Brendon Todd, Atlanta, Ga.; Branden Grace, South Africa; Thongchai Jaidee, Thailand

5:17 p.m. / 11:17 a.m. – Billy Horschel, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.; Paul Casey, England; Lee Westwood, England

5:28 p.m. / 11:28 a.m. – Bill Haas, Greenville, S.C.; Charl Schwartzel, South Africa; Hunter Mahan, Dallas, Texas

5:39 p.m. / 11:39 a.m. – Shane Lowry, Republic of Ireland; Ben Martin, Greenville, S.C.; Stephen Gallacher, Scotland

5:50 p.m. / 11:50 a.m. – Charley Hoffman, Las Vegas, Nev.; Camilo Villegas, Colombia; Tommy Fleetwood, England

6:01 p.m. / 12:01 p.m. – Mark Silvers, Thunderbolt, Ga.; (a) Brian Campbell, Irvine, Calif.; Cheng-Tsung Pan, Chinese Taipei

6:12 p.m. / 12:12 p.m. – TBD; Jared Becher, Reno, Nev.; Samuel Saunders, Fort Collins, Colo

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT