ADVERTISEMENT

The state of Colorado and its two large public universities

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Combined, CU and CSU are 0-6 with each being outscored in their respective games by an average of >30 ppg.

At the end of the 3rd quarter Saturday, the Buffs were down 49-0 with >100 yards total offense against MN. Now, MN may be a minor bowl team, but they aren't Georgia. The previous Saturday, as a 21 point underdog, the Buffs got smoked by Air Force, failing to cover even that large spread.

CSU has been as dreadful and one of their 2+ TD losses was to Middle TN.

With conference realignment ongoing, I think it's very possible that CU and CSU both get left out and have to make some tough decisions about continuing as CFP programs. If you're one of the worst CFP programs with most of the local interest tied up in the Broncos, Nuggets and Avalanche, which conference would want them? Without P5 money flowing into the athletic department, can they afford to keep their programs at the CFP level (85 schollys, recruiting budgets, facilities upgrades, etc.)/

Last edited:
There is absolute truth to the fact it just isn't important out there. Make up whatever reason. Most folks out there only care about pro sports. And I go there occasionally. The facilities in Boulder are probably not top notch. Stadium cute but small. I'll stay away from giving my opinion on politics but Colorado is evolving to be more like California than Texas. I don't know and don't care what that means.

For sure. Georgia as a state has gone done the tube, big time. If it was indicative of their political landscape, UGA would be 0-12 the last couple years.
Or maybe that's why they're 12 and 0?

😛

Colorado is to woke to have football teams. Remember when IBM Lexington sent about half their workforce to Bolder? It took less than two years for most of the workers to return to Kentucky. Snow, cold weather, and left wingers did the trick.

Well, I have lived here in Lexington all my life, known many many IBM families, and to tell you the truth, no, I don't remember any of them moving to Boulder and coming back complaining of snow, left wingers and cold weather.

Check out the prices in Boulder real estate, those that bought homes and stayed can now buy their own block of Chevy Chase. :cool:

Based on my OP, any chance CU gets left out in the cold from the 3-4 super conferences that are surely coming? Just not much enthusiasm for college sports here. They did have a string of really good teams for about 10 years in the late 80s and into the 90s. Really fallen off the deep end here lately. The move to the Pac12 hasn't helped but not sure they had any/many choices in the matter. Could've most likely stayed in the B12 but wouldn't have had much better success, imo.

Even among CFB fans here in CO, CSU is an after-thought (more so than UoL and UK) and I can't imagine the super conferences even considering the Rams.

The dropoff of the FB programs is not related to politics. NE is about as Red a state as any and, if you haven't noticed, they suck out loud the past several years.

Reactions: Kingseve1
Combined, CU and CSU are 0-6 with each being outscored in their respective games by an average of >30 ppg.

At the end of the 3rd quarter Saturday, the Buffs were down 49-0 with >100 yards total offense against MN. Now, MN may be a minor bowl team, but they aren't Georgia. The previous Saturday, as a 21 point underdog, the Buffs got smoked by Air Force, failing to cover even that large spread.

With conference realignment ongoing, I think it's very possible that CU and CSU both get left out and have to make some tough decisions about continuing as CFP programs. If you're one of the worst CFP programs with most of the local interest tied up in the Broncos, Nuggets and Avalanche, which conference would want them? Without P5 money flowing into the athletic department, can they afford to keep their programs at the CFP level (85 schollys, recruiting budgets, facilities upgrades, etc.)/
I seriously doubt that the flagship school of a medium population state is going to dismantle a football program, especially when it has some good history to its name. As for Colorado St., they were able to entice a coach from the same conference, considered by some to a P5 prospect, to take a job there for a major salary increase, so football is no joke there, either.

Based on my OP, any chance CU gets left out in the cold from the 3-4 super conferences that are surely coming? Just not much enthusiasm for college sports here. They did have a string of really good teams for about 10 years in the late 80s and into the 90s. Really fallen off the deep end here lately. The move to the Pac12 hasn't helped but not sure they had any/many choices in the matter. Could've most likely stayed in the B12 but wouldn't have had much better success, imo.

Even among CFB fans here in CO, CSU is an after-thought (more so than UoL and UK) and I can't imagine the super conferences even considering the Rams.

The dropoff of the FB programs is not related to politics. NE is about as Red a state as any and, if you haven't noticed, they suck out loud the past several years.
Everything is related to politics If you pay taxes.

The best football team in Colorado is the Air Force Academy Falcons.

Not a theory. If you just ask someone in Lexington that worked for IBM and now Lexmark you will get the same story. Back in the 70s and 80s Colorado was a red state. Gary Hart changed the whole makeup plus Hollywood discovered Aspen.
So now it is Gary Hart's fault. This keeps getting better and better 👏

Reactions: dvillecatfan
I guess when Colorado was winning they must have held their noses ( their conservative right wing noses by your rationale ) when they had a pipeline of gang bangers from LA fueling the program.
This!
CU is just a worse version of Nebraska..
Same problems.
The 80's/90's version of these programs is not coming back.

They are like any other program that is in a downward spiral. Get the right AD, make the right hire and with the portal and the rules the state has adopted could turn that around in a couple years. Now I have no idea who the right hire would be.

It's so weird to me that in a conversation about sports, people's first thought is politics. The political first mind set for things that have absolutely nothing to do with politics drives me insane.

On to the question. Denver is the 17th largest TV market. When this shakes out, outside of Philadelphia (where there is no option), they will probably be the next largest market that doesn't have a school in one of the new major conferences (I expect Cal or Stanford to be picked up for the San Fran market). And no way Colorado State is dropping football. They just made a major investment with a new football stadium, outdoor practice facility, weight room and training room the last 5 years.

Growing up in the late 80's early 90's I was a big fan of Colorado football. It is sad to see the state they are in today. I watched their opening game against TCU and I believe the announcer said they have 50 new players this year. 50!

Would really like to see this program get back on track.

Karl Dorrell lol. Guy couldn’t win at UCLA. Why would they think he could win at Colorado where there are more challenges?

Colorado is like any other state that has very little in the way of a natural recruiting base. You have to hire the right guy and be patient with them. Mike MacIntyre had a 10-4 season and went to the PAC 12 title game in 20-16. In 2017 they go 5-7 with 2 one score losses. In 2018, MacIntyre is fired after going 5-6. They started out 5-0, then dropped 6 straight with 2 one score losses. After dropping MacIntyre, they hire Karl Dorrell, who after going 4-2 in a shortened COVID season, is 4-11 in his last 15, and may very well end up 0-12. Will they fire Dorrell and start over again? Should they have kept MacIntyre? They need to hire someone who has a good plan like Mark Stoops did and stick with him, giving his staff the things they need to be competitive.

It's so weird to me that in a conversation about sports, people's first thought is politics. The political first mind set for things that have absolutely nothing to do with politics drives me insane.
It's just who some people are. I feel both pity and disgust for them, yet find them amusing as well. I can't imagine a life where everything you do or watch is determined by your political views.

Ohio will legalize weed soon (Michigan already has). I think OSU will still be good when it happens because instate recruiting base is the most important factor along with the quality of your HC.

Reactions: JDHoss
If you look at schools in states that have decriminalized weed, I think you'll see many traditional powers have faded. I'm in favor of decriminalized weed (that part of the "War on Drugs" is pointless and failed public policy, no different from booze prohibition imho) but it would tend to make life more difficult for coaches in such states. What do we know about their policies? Are they testing? Are they working with kids who are as much or more interested in the host state's drug laws as they are football?

Washington, Oregon, Colorado, California, and now Arizona are all legal weed states, the last somewhat recently.

Utah (obviously illegal still, along with coffee if some had their way) was your pre-season favorite for conference title.

Did legal weed kill the PAC12? Serious question... well, half serious. 😆

Isn’t Meechigan a leftist state? But…….they have great football. 😂😂😂😂

If you look at schools in states that have decriminalized weed, I think you'll see many traditional powers have faded. I'm in favor of decriminalized weed (that part of the "War on Drugs" is pointless and failed public policy, no different from booze prohibition imho) but it would tend to make life more difficult for coaches in such states. What do we know about their policies? Are they testing? Are they working with kids who are as much or more interested in the host state's drug laws as they are football?

Washington, Oregon, Colorado, California, and now Arizona are all legal weed states, the last somewhat recently.

Utah (obviously illegal still, along with coffee if some had their way) was your pre-season favorite for conference title.

More like half baked

• Haha
Reactions: southindycat
Isn’t Meechigan a leftist state? But…….they have great football. 😂😂😂😂

Yes sir, I was there on 4-20 one year (think that is the weed day everyone celebrates) and thought I was at Woodstock, Ann Arbor is way left of center.

And yet, go to any game at the Big House and you find out quickly they take football rather seriously up there as well.

So, here is a thought: Maybe it is possible that there are long haired leftist weirdos, that also love the Maize and Blue and scream bloody murder when they play Ohio State . . . and just as likely that there are some right wing God fearing Bama fans, that also like the Grateful Dead and smoke some weed? And both groups really like cold beer??

And maybe those two groups ought to sit down and talk to one another and find out they are not really enemies at all (both sides freaking HATE the Ohio State U for one thing) then maybe this country would not be at each others' throats quite so often.

There is absolute truth to the fact it just isn't important out there. Make up whatever reason. Most folks out there only care about pro sports. And I go there occasionally. The facilities in Boulder are probably not top notch. Stadium cute but small. I'll stay away from giving my opinion on politics but Colorado is evolving to be more like California than Texas. I don't know and don't care what that means.
True everywhere.

Only after I moved to Houston a few years back did I realize that nobody outside of little pockets here and there actually cares about college sports.

I was shocked, and appalled.

It's just who some people are. I feel both pity and disgust for them, yet find them amusing as well. I can't imagine a life where everything you do or watch is determined by your values.

Fixed it for ya. Not sure why that is hard to imagine...

What else has as big of an impact on your activities and viewing habits as your values?

My God!

You people have found our answer!

We don’t need Kentucky’s wealthy people to fund NIL.

We need Kentucky’s wealthy people to invest in making marijuana legal in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee!

That, along with A & M retaining Jimbo Fischer long-term, should do the trick!

• Haha
Reactions: southindycat
I would like to clarify that while I'm all in favor of legal weed, I'm equally ready to start hanging MFers in front of medium security prison populations for trafficking in opiods and/or meth.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
Well, I have lived here in Lexington all my life, known many many IBM families, and to tell you the truth, no, I don't remember any of them moving to Boulder and coming back complaining of snow, left wingers and cold weather.

Check out the prices in Boulder real estate, those that bought homes and stayed can now buy their own block of Chevy Chase. :cool:
These people that bring up politics in EVERY sports topic just can’t help themselves. I swear I think they have something missing upstairs

Reactions: JDHoss
Fixed it for ya. Not sure why that is hard to imagine...

What else has as big of an impact on your activities and viewing habits as your values?
Well, you didn't "fix" anything. You worded it the way you would have said it. I live in Florida. My "values" have nothing to do with enjoying the beach/kayaking/fishing/watching football.

Californians are moving to Texas, and Texans are moving to Colorado. I personally know of several instances of each. It's too damn hot here in Texas, but the money is good and jobs are plentiful. Colorado is too cold for me, so I'll probably head back to the Bluegrass when I retire.

They are like any other program that is in a downward spiral. Get the right AD, make the right hire and with the portal and the rules the state has adopted could turn that around in a couple years. Now I have no idea who the right hire would be.

I do.

Me. But I'm gonna need 10 years guaranteed.
No contract disputes, scout's honor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT