ADVERTISEMENT

The one major point that most UK fans miss about the Cats FB program..

cathouse

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2002
I see a lot of posters making the statement that we have to improve enough to get competitive in the SEC East before we can even think about being in the discussion for competing for the College Football Playoffs. The reality of the situation for UK is that if/when we get enough talent to compete for the SEC East championship, we will have enough talent to be in the discussion for the College Playoffs. Unlike some of our friends up the road, being a top 25 program will get you no where in the SEC, and usually not good enough for a Major Bowl Game. The reality is, in the SEC you must have top 5-10 talent to compete for the SEC Championship, and IF you have that level of talent, then you have enough talent to compete for not only the SEC Championship, but also the National Championship.

That reality is what makes the task for rising up the standings in the SEC so daunting for Coach Stoops and this staff. I, for one, believe that we are on the road to accomplish just that, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I have been following UKFB since the early 60's, and have been fooled more than once with false optimism for a coaching staff. But this staff brings something to the program that no other staff in my lifetime (other than the Bear, and I was too young to remember his time as UK coach) and that is the energy and drive to recruit better talent and the work ethic and coaching knowhow to make this team competitive with the best of the SEC. No one, let me repeat, no one has the passion for winning and the hatred for losing more than Coach Mark Stoops. He will get it done at UK if we and the administration give him and this team the support it deserves.

For me and my clan, we are ALL IN WITH COACH STOOPS AND THE UK WILDCATS. GO BIG BLUE. CAN'T WAIT FOR MY 55th season of high expectations.

IMO, Football is THE only important sport at UK. Nothing would please me more than winning. However, I try to be realistic. Take bball for example: A school like Auburn considers going to the ncaa tournament a major accomplishment. For them to become a power in the SEC means someone like, say KY, has to decline. That's never going to happen. There may be an occasional season that Auburn can beat Ky, win the SEC, etc... but it will never happen on a regular basis. Apply that to Football....If we are to become an annual force in the SEC, we have to overtake some team/teams, replacing them as annual powers.

Who will we replace? Bama? Auburn? UGA? FLA? I know I'll be criticized, but for now I'll be happy to be bowl eligible EVERY year and go to a NYD bowl a couple of times per decade.

At 57, I'd give one of my most prized jewels for that to happen.

Reactions: 502cats
I see a lot of posters making the statement that we have to improve enough to get competitive in the SEC East before we can even think about being in the discussion for competing for the College Football Playoffs. The reality of the situation for UK is that if/when we get enough talent to compete for the SEC East championship, we will have enough talent to be in the discussion for the College Playoffs. Unlike some of our friends up the road, being a top 25 program will get you no where in the SEC, and usually not good enough for a Major Bowl Game. The reality is, in the SEC you must have top 5-10 talent to compete for the SEC Championship, and IF you have that level of talent, then you have enough talent to compete for not only the SEC Championship, but also the National Championship.

That reality is what makes the task for rising up the standings in the SEC so daunting for Coach Stoops and this staff. I, for one, believe that we are on the road to accomplish just that, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I have been following UKFB since the early 60's, and have been fooled more than once with false optimism for a coaching staff. But this staff brings something to the program that no other staff in my lifetime (other than the Bear, and I was too young to remember his time as UK coach) and that is the energy and drive to recruit better talent and the work ethic and coaching knowhow to make this team competitive with the best of the SEC. No one, let me repeat, no one has the passion for winning and the hatred for losing more than Coach Mark Stoops. He will get it done at UK if we and the administration give him and this team the support it deserves.

For me and my clan, we are ALL IN WITH COACH STOOPS AND THE UK WILDCATS. GO BIG BLUE. CAN'T WAIT FOR MY 55th season of high expectations.

I agree with just about every point that you make except for the part about you seeming 100% positive that Stoops is the right guy for the job--if we're being honest with ourselves it's still yet to be seen whether he's the guy, and Stoops would say the exact same thing at this point in his tenure where he hasn't had a winning season yet.

He's shown that he's a great recruiter by Kentucky standards, but he hasn't shown that he's THE guy yet...that comes with wins on the field. I'm not saying he won't get that done (I'm as excited as anyone about what he could POTENTIALLY do) but to say that he's THE guy without any equivocations is dangerous. Let's not jump the gun.

I also think you're blatantly short-changing what Fran Curci and Jerry Claiborne did here. Although Fran Curci wasn't consistent, he coached the best team in the SEC more than once in his tenure at UK, and led what was a national-championship caliber team here in 1977. I think Mark Stoops would say he'd be ecstatic if he could ever reach that level.

Let's hold back before we anoint Stoops. I'm excited beyond belief about what the program could do this year and next, but it's one thing to be excited about what he could potentially do, and another thing to jump to conclusions and say he's THE guy already.

Recruiting doesn't always equal success, especially in the SEC (ask Ron Zook, Derek Dooley, Ed Orgeron and about 20 other coaches that have recruited well and ended up being mediocre in the SEC).

I'm not saying we shouldn't be excited, but I'm more than a little weary when we use words like "he will get it done at UK if the fans and administration give him the support he deserves."

We just don't know if that's true at this point in time. I really like the excitement, but I just don't want us to be blinded by our fandom like we were during the Joker tenure.

Even during Joker's final year where he was going 2-10 and getting beat 40-0 at home by Vanderbilt, fans were blinded by their love for UK & arguing that Joker only needed more time to show what his young recruits could do...that started from his first and second year when people were saying that he was 100% for sure the guy to take UK to the next level based on his improved recruiting and the administration investing slightly more in the program.

At the time Joker was bringing in better recruiting classes that UK had in decades..but it didn't mean automatic success..it never does.

I'm not saying that's going to be the case w/ Stoops, but you have to be careful in anointing people before they even get to a bowl game. That doesn't mean we can't support them and root for him to do well..we just don't need to call a coach something that he's not...yet. It's not fair to the fans or the coaching staff to do that.

Last edited:
Jerry Claiborne was a fine man and a good coach, but he didn't compare favorably with Curci when it came to putting a good team on the field. Claiborne's best season was with Curci recruits playing their senior years. (According to some players, he chose to take them to a bowl game in Alabama as opposed to going to the Holiday Bowl that year. That happened to be the year that byu, who was undefeated by virtues of having played no decent teams, played a very average Michigan team in that bowl. Michigan almost beat them. Ky could have....and would have deprived them of the national championship.....but he chose the All-American(?) bowl. He never had much of a team after that. His teams were solid at best. He played by the rules. He represented the university and state with class. He always had teams with limited talent. He competed with MAC schools for many of his recruits.

Curci, on the other hand, had the bball oriented administration allowed him to stay, had the coaching talent to make Ky a consistent winner. He coached the way coaches at schools like FSU, Bama, Auburn, etc... coached......and he got caught. I remember Cawood Ledford's voice cracking when he bid Curci best wishes at the end of his last radio call-in show.

I agree with just about every point that you make except for the part about you seeming 100% positive that Stoops is the right guy for the job--if we're being honest with ourselves it's still yet to be seen whether he's the guy, and Stoops would say the exact same thing at this point in his tenure where he hasn't had a winning season yet.

He's shown that he's a great recruiter by Kentucky standards, but he hasn't shown that he's THE guy yet...that comes with wins on the field. I'm not saying he won't get that done (I'm as excited as anyone about what he could POTENTIALLY do) but to say that he's THE guy without any equivocations is dangerous. Let's not jump the gun.

I also think you're blatantly short-changing what Fran Curci and Jerry Claiborne did here. Although Fran Curci wasn't consistent, he coached the best team in the SEC more than once in his tenure at UK, and led what was a national-championship caliber team here in 1977. I think Mark Stoops would say he'd be ecstatic if he could ever reach that level.

Let's hold back before we anoint Stoops. I'm excited beyond belief about what the program could do this year and next, but it's one thing to be excited about what he could potentially do, and another thing to jump to conclusions and say he's THE guy already.

Recruiting doesn't always equal success, especially in the SEC (ask Ron Zook, Derek Dooley, Ed Orgeron and about 20 other coaches that have recruited well and ended up being mediocre in the SEC).

I'm not saying we shouldn't be excited, but I'm more than a little weary when we use words like "he will get it done at UK if the fans and administration give him the support he deserves."

We just don't know if that's true at this point in time. I really like the excitement, but I just don't want us to be blinded by our fandom like we were during the Joker tenure.

Even during Joker's final year where he was going 2-10 and getting beat 40-0 at home by Vanderbilt, fans were blinded by their love for UK & arguing that Joker only needed more time to show what his young recruits could do...that started from his first and second year when people were saying that he was 100% for sure the guy to take UK to the next level based on his improved recruiting and the administration investing slightly more in the program.

At the time Joker was bringing in better recruiting classes that UK had in decades..but it didn't mean automatic success..it never does.

I'm not saying that's going to be the case w/ Stoops, but you have to be careful in anointing people before they even get to a bowl game. That doesn't mean we can't support them and root for him to do well..we just don't need to call a coach something that he's not...yet. It's not fair to the fans or the coaching staff to do that.

You can't say for sure that Stoops is the one but everything is pointing in that direction. He won 3 more games his second year as compared to his first. He also had us right there in three others. The recruiting is much better and the facilities upgrades are over the top. I think you have to give the man the benefit of the doubt until he gives us a reason not to. If you want to guard your optimism, that is perfectly understandable based on our history. However, I prefer to go all in with Stoops and his team. If it turns out not to be.....oh well. I will have at least enjoyed the ride.

Another thing to consider. What if Stoops doesn't work out? Where in the hell do we go from there. I just don't know who you are going to get to come in here with the confidence that he could do any better. I think Mitch is giving it his best shot with this staff.

Did not intend to slight any of our former coaches. I loved Coach Claiborne. A man of great integrity that was brought in to clean up Curci's recruiting mess. I also loved Curci for his fire and will to win. That 1977 team was remarkable by anyone's standard. Should have been undefeated. Dang those Baylor Bears. That being said, neither of these past coaches brought the fire and the recruiting drive of Stoops and this staff. Neither had the support of the administration that Stoops currently has. FB was an afterthought during their tenures at UK. Jerry Claiborne was at the end of a very successful career and did not (could not) recruit the next generation stars needed to maintain Curci's success. I did not say I was 100% sure that Stoops can get it done. I am sure we are100% better off than we were 3 years ago. It took me about 15 minutes to determine that Joker would not be successful at Kentucky. Very bad move by Mitch. If Stoops can't get it done, we are doomed to mediocrity for a very long time, IMO.

I think the powers that be at UK have realized that football is a very lucrative sport if managed well. I do not think they always believed that. I think they felt that a successful football program at Kentucky would diminish the basketball program. I think they no longer feel that way. JMHO

You can't say for sure that Stoops is the one but everything is pointing in that direction. He won 3 more games his second year as compared to his first. He also had us right there in three others. The recruiting is much better and the facilities upgrades are over the top. I think you have to give the man the benefit of the doubt until he gives us a reason not to. If you want to guard your optimism, that is perfectly understandable based on our history. However, I prefer to go all in with Stoops and his team. If it turns out not to be.....oh well. I will have at least enjoyed the ride.

Another thing to consider. What if Stoops doesn't work out? Where in the hell do we go from there. I just don't know who you are going to get to come in here with the confidence that he could do any better. I think Mitch is giving it his best shot with this staff.
Great post. You're right. What alternative will there ever be if not Stoops?

Coach Stoops and his family know they are in an awesome situation. They are close to family, their home state, leading an SEC program with a great fan base.

He has the opportunity to build a program that no one expects to be elite and in return add more respect to the legacy and tradition of the Stoops name within football. Coach is carrying on a family tradition and not being successful will not fly.

Personally, in my opinion, he has the kind of character and spirit that develops loyalty and love and after all the hard work he will have endured to attain the success people are talking about in this post it will be real hard to leave it behind after he makes this a top ten program.

The good news is if Stoops doesn't work out, the roster will be pretty well stocked. It would be much easier to get someone to come in when they know they are walking into a situation where they can be competitive in less than 3 years.

The good news is if Stoops doesn't work out, the roster will be pretty well stocked. It would be much easier to get someone to come in when they know they are walking into a situation where they can be competitive in less than 3 years.

Excellent point which I have stated before, if Stoops can't improve our record with the talent he is bringing in it will be because of inadequate coaching, IMO. But in order to continue the SEC level recruiting he will have to start winning more games. The 14 class was an amazing step up for us, the 15 class not as highly rated but a very good class, and I am hopeful that the 16 class which is off to a very good start will close very strong. Kash is a pretty critical commit to elevate this class, and with the OL we are putting together I think the 16 season will be another big step up.

But if he fails I really believe we can get a very good coach to come in because we will have the talent to give us a fighting chance to be competitive in the SEC.

The fact that football is no longer treated like the poor stepchild AND the much improved facilities will be a big factor also.

UK has gone all in on Stoops. He has to work out. He is doing about everything many of the most educated UK Football fans have been begging years for. Recruiting Ohio (honestly am shocked how well and how quickly he has done it), multiple uniforms (this day and age recruits and players love that stuff), was able to sell the program to the donors who normally stayed away from giving money to the football program, was instrumental in getting the UK Brass and KY legislature to fund the stadium renovation (the momentum from his early recruiting got most of those folks finally on board), has put a major emphasis recruiting high caliber lineman, quality assistants who are great recruiters and hopefully great developers of talent, the list goes on.

He has a check mark on about every major category except wins. If he cannot win, there is no guarantee someone else can come in and win immediately with his talent and continue to recruit at a high level. Look at Vandy as the perfect example of how hiring the wrong person can mess up what a great prior coach did. Joker versus what Brooks built. Point being Stoops has to work out because if he does not I am almost convinced UK can't win at Football.

I say that if Stoops isn't succeeding on the field the players will stop coming such that the program won't be terribly well-stocked for his successor.

But if he fails I really believe we can get a very good coach to come in because we will have the talent to give us a fighting chance to be competitive in the SEC.
This makes no sense to me. If he fails, the players won't keep coming. And they'll stop coming before UK gives up on Stoops given how much they've put into supporting him.

Besides, I don't know why people are even thinking he's going to fail & what the next step might be given the success he's having so far. Habit of UK past failures? Really, what's in it for you thinking of this?

Coach Stoops and his family know they are in an awesome situation. They are close to family, their home state, leading an SEC program with a great fan base.

He has the opportunity to build a program that no one expects to be elite and in return add more respect to the legacy and tradition of the Stoops name within football. Coach is carrying on a family tradition and not being successful will not fly.

Personally, in my opinion, he has the kind of character and spirit that develops loyalty and love and after all the hard work he will have endured to attain the success people are talking about in this post it will be real hard to leave it behind after he makes this a top ten program.

^^^Great post!^^^ And I agree.

IMO, Football is THE only important sport at UK. Nothing would please me more than winning. However, I try to be realistic. Take bball for example: A school like Auburn considers going to the ncaa tournament a major accomplishment. For them to become a power in the SEC means someone like, say KY, has to decline. That's never going to happen. There may be an occasional season that Auburn can beat Ky, win the SEC, etc... but it will never happen on a regular basis. Apply that to Football....If we are to become an annual force in the SEC, we have to overtake some team/teams, replacing them as annual powers.

Who will we replace? Bama? Auburn? UGA? FLA? I know I'll be criticized, but for now I'll be happy to be bowl eligible EVERY year and go to a NYD bowl a couple of times per decade.

At 57, I'd give one of my most prized jewels for that to happen.

While I agree almost everything you said, to say football is the only important sport at UK is ignorant and rude to all our other student athletes who give their all to UK each and every season. Now it makes the school the most money by far, so it is important financially more so than any other sport, even men's b-ball, but a lot of us care about watching/rooting for UK in all sports, not just the one so while I respect your opinion...disagree. I enjoy watching UK's softball team do well, loved watching them get to the Super Regionals this year. I'd also love to see UK's baseball team have better seasons and gt to the CWS one day. I also want to see Mitchell and women' hoops take that next step and make it to a Final Four...which will be hard, much like it will be hard for our football to move up in the SEC due to how tough it is with dominant teams at the top every year.

I do not criticize you at all for your take on getting to a bowl game every year and a NYD bowl 2-3 times a decade. That would be a huge step for this program the next ten until 2025. Yeah, hopefully they play in the ATL a time or two as well, and hell, if they could win a SEC title that would be great. I do think you have to remember that these other teams are going to improve and keep on fighting as well to remain relevant. UT, FL, UGA, SC and Missouri are not going anywhere, nor is MSU with their current coach, and the rest of the SEC West is super deep and tough. Fortunately we play in the East, which is the easier division at present IMO.

this upcoming class has got a lot of talent coming in. so if the worst case scenario happens, stoops would be gone in '18 and barker would be a sr and this class would be sophmores. i would think a lot of coaches would look at coming into a situation with an elite 11/army all american qb and 3... possible 4 army all americans on the o-line as something to work with.

but i think everyone is wayyy ahead of themselves because of all this bs "hotseat" polls. stoops is a good coach. he's hired good coordinators and has a good plan. wait til the end of '16 season to judge him as a head coach as far as being on the hotseat. we lost to wku people... twice in a row. we had some serious roster issues when he took over.

Reactions: jmalone7us
This makes no sense to me. If he fails, the players won't keep coming. And they'll stop coming before UK gives up on Stoops given how much they've put into supporting him.

Besides, I don't know why people are even thinking he's going to fail & what the next step might be given the success he's having so far. Habit of UK past failures? Really, what's in it for you thinking of this?
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sorry you missed it, it is such a tiny word, if you took either the i or f away it would only be one letter and make no sense at all.

I have little doubt that Stoops will succeed at UK, but I am not of the opinion that if he leaves for whatever reason we should drop football, in fact I think there are a lot of coaches that could succeed at UK given the fact that the administration has been so rudely awakened. We just have to make sure they don't fall asleep again. I have never doubted that UK was a sleeping giant in football, incredible what it took to wake the ones asleep at the wheel, you would think they would keep up with the trends in sports since that is their job.

And for what it is worth I believe if Stoops left today he would leave talent MUCH better than he inherited, and I don't see that ever dropping off to even close to the dismal amount he inherited.

No reason in the world to pit one sport against the other, I follow all UK sports, really enjoyed the women's track team finishing SECOND in the nation (to host and customery winner Oregon) in the recent national meet, with TWO first place finishes. Football IS the money sport and has been cheated out of its fair share of the income for decades at UK (while other SEC programs have done the opposite, a WISE investment on their part), but having a NUMBER ONE in the nation basketball program is a huge plus for football also, not just because a lot of football players played it and enjoy our program but because it does add a lot of income to our programs, unlike most SEC programs. Which makes the minimum maintenance for football for decades even harder to understand.

People that think Stoops' only value to this program is his recruiting classes, are missing about 90% of the story.

My only concern is him moving up the food chain not down.

Agree, and that is a possibility, so to say he will never leave is foolish. But I really believe UK has enough to offer, especially the proximity to Ohio, to make it a place where he shouldn't have to be interested in leaving-----he definitely will (is now) be a hero here without having to win NCs if he stays and progresses. We just have to make sure he continues to get full support from the administration.

While I agree almost everything you said, to say football is the only important sport at UK is ignorant and rude to all our other student athletes who give their all to UK each and every season. QUOTE]

What I should have said is "Football is the only sport I care about" When it comes to importance, no sport is any more or any less important than another. Men's, women's, boy's, girls's....all are equally as important or on the other hand unimportant.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sorry you missed it, it is such a tiny word, if you took either the i or f away it would only be one letter and make no sense at all.

I have little doubt that Stoops will succeed at UK, but I am not of the opinion that if he leaves for whatever reason we should drop football, in fact I think there are a lot of coaches that could succeed at UK given the fact that the administration has been so rudely awakened. We just have to make sure they don't fall asleep again. I have never doubted that UK was a sleeping giant in football, incredible what it took to wake the ones asleep at the wheel, you would think they would keep up with the trends in sports since that is their job.

And for what it is worth I believe if Stoops left today he would leave talent MUCH better than he inherited, and I don't see that ever dropping off to even close to the dismal amount he inherited.
Well of course if he left today the talent would be much improved by him. But your point was if he fails. And if he fails, I say the talent won't be what it is today because players would be seeing the failure too & would have stopped coming before UK let him so. So you've changed your premise - defensively.

Regardless, I still don't see the point in bringing this negative subject up at this point. Why?

I didn't intentionally change the sentence I quoted & as far as I can tell, didn't change it unintentionally either.

Well of course if he left today the talent would be much improved by him. But your point was if he fails. And if he fails, I say the talent won't be what it is today because players would be seeing the failure too & would have stopped coming before UK let him so. So you've changed your premise - defensively.

Regardless, I still don't see the point in bringing this negative subject up at this point. Why?

I didn't intentionally change the sentence I quoted & as far as I can tell, didn't change it unintentionally either.

That's why it wouldn't make sense to keep him around long once it becomes clear that he isn't going to be successful. I think if he doesn't make a bowl game this season and 6-8 wins in 2016 it will be obvious that he isn't cut out for the SEC. By that point there would still be plenty of talent from his recruiting classes left on the roster. I don't think any of this is going to happen because I think he will succeed.

Stoops is building something very special in Lexington, no short cuts, no trickery, just solid reality. He started the wheels in motion before stepping foot in Lexington,he knew the challenge and took it. He will succeed. I for one am all in with Coach Stoops. He brings a level of respect to our program that I haven't felt since Brooks left. The difference is I believe administration is ALL IN with Stoops as well. This team & staff is quality from the ground up; I take a lot of pride to every game these days. Not only has he changed the culture on the field with players ,but off the field with fans and our expectations. Not if but when this building project is complete, the new King of Lexington will be spelled STOOPS!!!!

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Well...except his brother Mike.

Depends on how you measure success Mike took over a 2-10 team with a rebuilding job on his hands. His third year he got them to 6-6, his 5th, 6th and 7th years were winning records 8-5, 8-5 and 7-6 and he went to bowl games his last three years including The Las Vegas Bowl, The Holiday Bowl, The Alamo Bowl

Considering Zona has been traditionally a lower tier program in the Pac 12 this is a fairly respectable record IMO. In fact I"m surprised he hasn't been offered an acceptable head coaching job since then.

In Mike's last year at Zona, he was 1-5 (0-4 in Pac) when he was fired.

BTW, Mark left in 2009.

That's a good point on Mark leaving and I think Zona's rise came largely on the heels of a vastly improved defense under his tutelage. I wonder how much commitment and backing Mike Stoops got from the university? My takeaway from the Curry era was that hiring a successful head coach is not enough. If you don't back him up and give him the resources he needs, he still can't succeed.

That's a good point on Mark leaving and I think Zona's rise came largely on the heels of a vastly improved defense under his tutelage. I wonder how much commitment and backing Mike Stoops got from the university? My takeaway from the Curry era was that hiring a successful head coach is not enough. If you don't back him up and give him the resources he needs, he still can't succeed.

I'd assume a decent amount given how well they have done since Mike was fired.

Curry's biggest failure was the revolving door he had at Nutter with assistants and coordinators coming and going. Several really good coaches worked under Curry but left within a year or two. UK simply did not give him the support he needed. Was he a program changing coach, maybe not, but he was not as bad as his record showed. What Curry got from the UK admin compared to what Stoops is getting is completely night and day.

Curry's biggest failure was the revolving door he had at Nutter with assistants and coordinators coming and going. Several really good coaches worked under Curry but left within a year or two. UK simply did not give him the support he needed. Was he a program changing coach, maybe not, but he was not as bad as his record showed. What Curry got from the UK admin compared to what Stoops is getting is completely night and day.

My sentiments exactly

Curry played a huge role in his own demise. Not only did he lose coordinators, but he seemed to have no offensive philosophy of his own. Rather, he hire new OCs and the offense changed ever other year. That meant we never had 4-5 five years of recruiting to one style.

An HC does not have to be an offensive genius, but needs to have continuity. Stoops understands.

Perhaps our fans who have endured decades of mostly losing football should take a deep breath and let the 2015 season play out. We are all so accustomed to losing, it is no longer in our DNA enjoy UK football.

^^^This!^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT