ADVERTISEMENT

The Mid Summer Derby

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
If American Pharoah wins the Haskell tomorrow at Monmouth they just announced that the purse for the Travers will be bumped up to $1,600,000. Would be great to see a triple crown, Travers and BC Classic winner. From what I can gather of the Zayat family it couldn't happen to a bunch of nicer people.

I think it's awesome we still get to see AP race a few more times. And based on what I've read, he's getting better. It's a good time to be a horse racing fan!

1-5 isn't worth fooling with. I hope he wins, but I won't risk anything at those odds.

Bet on TVG tomorrow between noon and 1 and you can get 3/5. They are offering a triple your odds promo. I wish I could do that on the other horses but it is just on him.

If he were some how to sweep the Haskell, Travers, then the BC Classic, would have to put his 2015 as one of the best 3 year old campaigns in history

I'm surprised they are offering show wagering on the race today. Just put $2 down to show on every other horse. I'm sure there will some bridge jumpers out there. If by some miracle AP doesn't come in at least third it will pay a ton.

Rachel Alexandra's first foal to start just won her first race. It was a 2 year old filly. Rachel does have a colt that is 3 but he hasn't made it to the track yet.

It will be interesting if the extra money is enough to get him to enter the Travers. I was thinking it would be unlikely since I thought they would only want him to have 2 races before the BC Classic. The Travers would be 2 months out from the Classic. My bet is he skips the Travers and runs in either the Awesome Again at Santa Anita or the Jockey Club Gold Cup before the Classic. With as easy as that was today he may get in 2 more races in before the Classic.

It will be interesting if the extra money is enough to get him to enter the Travers. I was thinking it would be unlikely since I thought they would only want him to have 2 races before the BC Classic. The Travers would be 2 months out from the Classic. My bet is he skips the Travers and runs in either the Awesome Again at Santa Anita or the Jockey Club Gold Cup before the Classic. With as easy as that was today he may get in 2 more races in before the Classic.
If he goes tot the Travers, it could possibly be his first race since the Belmont. I mean today was just a gallop.

He's just a cool ass horse. That's all there is to it, really. A laid back rock star.

I think he runs in the Travers and hopefully that crazy-ass Mr. Jordan will stay far away, where he belongs. I was nervous when he ran up beside AP on the first turn . . . considering his history.

Feel lucky he ends his career at Keeneland on Halloween day with a UK/UT football game that same day/night in Commonwealth. This city will be electric and wild for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT