ADVERTISEMENT

The joke that is "Cost of Attendance" became even more ludicrous today

A person has to be either incredibly naive or stupid to think athletics are powerless in COA cals. I'm a CPA, numbers can be juggled to say whatever the hell you want. Especially when instructed to do so by crooked CEOs or organizations not concerned with following the rules.

But go ahead son, pretend these numbers are calculated by egghead professors while ADs and coaches sit by as helpless bystanders. Your life surrounded by unicorns and rainbows must be interesting.

It would make little sense to calculate COA too high as it would reduce the number of applicants to the school. In case most of you haven't noticed, at most SEC schools Athletics and the academic portion of the University are basically separate entities that coincide. It is possibly that schools could inflate numbers to benefit athletics while harming academics; I think what will happen is schools will be forced to show how much it truly costs to attend their university. In my opinion, UK has an incredibly low COA that probably does not accurately reflect the reality of going to school at UK.

What does it cost to live in Louisville compared to Lexington, about twice as much? Amazing, and of course jurich is willing to exploit this gigantic can of worms (what I called it when it first came out) to the fullest, while it remains to be seen if mitch and UK have really absorbed the lesson of the millions of dollars football lost from his penny pinching for the football program which lasted for over a decade------and, coincidentally, ended with the fan strike. I want to again thank all those real fans that sacrificed great seats in the family for generations for the good of the program.

Yes, it is legal to buy players in this system, and no doubt jurich will spend every cent he can get from the students at UL that just want an education to advance his out of control athletic ambitions, this is a far better investment than the 400% raise he gave his new football coach that no other reputable University would even hire. Of course I haven't heard a lot about UL having the best medical school (or any others, really) in the state since I was a kid-----and that was a LONG time ago.

But I have read tons about their out of control athletic department, just win baby, right TPE?

Cost of attendance does not = cost of living.

Eventually this will be fixed. Isn't it really simple? Spending money should be the SAME for all schools. All the numbers are made up except for the cost of a hamburger, a movie, a tank of gas, etc. etc. If everyone is given the same, then it will become a bidding war. Why have schools create numbers, which don't mean a dang thing! This used to be taken care of by the $50 per hour jobs supplied to athletes by supporters of their schools. That was finally made illegal - and now here we go again.

Go Big Blue!

Meanwhile, UL charges its students a fee that goes to athletics. If I was a UL student paying for this and saw that UL considered its COA to be 3rd most in the country, I would be furious that the athletic department was charging me any fee at all.

UL academics are suffering, the med school failing and UL ranks 3rd. Audacious crap.

It just gets more ridiculous.

When the UL fan cannot discuss the topic of the thread, he posts an irrelevant comment.

The Power 5 Commissioners pushed for this...the NCAA gave them what they want...under the current formula every school submitted the required paperwork and guess some came up more than others....and guess what...nobody really whining about it...Steve Spurrer and Les Miles said it best to CBS Sports a couple of weeks ago:

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said he changed his mind over concerns about cost of attendance after listening to SEC commissioner Mike Slive explain that federal guidelines help determine numbers. The Gamecocks' average number is $4,201.

“If one school can give $5,000 a year, another $4,000, hell, that's just the way it is,” Spurrier said. “If they can out recruit you because of that, maybe a school with a new indoor facility can out recruit another one. Who knows the reason a young man picks a school?”

LSU coach Les Miles said he will “trust until somebody proves to me that they're doing (cost of attendance) in a fraudulent manner. … If you're a crook, you're a crook, and if you're not, there's no reason for me to believe this will be done in a disproportionate fashion.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ingly-skeptical-of-cost-of-attendance-figures

How interesting that the truth becomes "irrelevant" when it deviates from your narrative.

Look I understand that the UL education is not worth the paper it is written upon, but they must have taught you the meaning of the word "irrelevant." If not, you have Spaulding in town to teach you.

Meanwhile, UL charges its students a fee that goes to athletics. If I was a UL student paying for this and saw that UL considered its COA to be 3rd most in the country, I would be furious that the athletic department was charging me any fee at all.

UL academics are suffering, the med school failing and UL ranks 3rd. Audacious crap.

Don't think UofL Students will be paying for anything...remember they are getting a full share of the ACC Revenue which will be over $24 Million...the most they got from the BIG EAST/AAC was $8 Million....they are getting an additional $14 to $16 Million this year that they never received before...life in a P5 League.

Don't think UofL Students will be paying for anything...remember they are getting a full share of the ACC Revenue which will be over $24 Million...the most they got from the BIG EAST/AAC was $8 Million....they are getting an additional $14 to $16 Million this year that they never received before...life in a P5 League.

Yeah, I would not advise you hold your breath while Tom decides whether he drops that revenue. UL makes a profit off athletics every year and, yet, the students pay.

Look I understand that the UL education is not worth the paper it is written upon, but they must have taught you the meaning of the word "irrelevant." If not, you have Spaulding in town to teach you.

Just looks like you're angry that UofL is paying more then UK...My advice...do what Alabama did when they saw what Auburn and Mississippi State was doing and recalculate...

Why are you railing against Louisville...point being they submitted the paperwork like everybody else...it was approved just like it was at Auburn, Mississippi State, South Carolina etc...etc...all those schools are giving more then Kentucky and guess what all of them are on your schedule.

Again...just do what they apparently did in Tusculooosa....now they are their athletes more then they were going to...it is what it is....live with it....

The Power 5 Commissioners pushed for this...the NCAA gave them what they want...under the current formula every school submitted the required paperwork and guess some came up more than others....and guess what...nobody really whining about it...Steve Spurrer and Les Miles said it best to CBS Sports a couple of weeks ago:

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said he changed his mind over concerns about cost of attendance after listening to SEC commissioner Mike Slive explain that federal guidelines help determine numbers. The Gamecocks' average number is $4,201.

“If one school can give $5,000 a year, another $4,000, hell, that's just the way it is,” Spurrier said. “If they can out recruit you because of that, maybe a school with a new indoor facility can out recruit another one. Who knows the reason a young man picks a school?”

LSU coach Les Miles said he will “trust until somebody proves to me that they're doing (cost of attendance) in a fraudulent manner. … If you're a crook, you're a crook, and if you're not, there's no reason for me to believe this will be done in a disproportionate fashion.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ingly-skeptical-of-cost-of-attendance-figures
miles might be right. "if you're a crook, you're a crook, and if you're not, theres no reason for me to believe this will be done in a disproportionate fashion". so what les is saying is that if certain people are being disproportionate about their #'s to reality then they are cheaters and are gonna cheat any way they can to get players. so i would say you could probably go through the top 10 to 15 on this list and get a good idea of who's cheating. granted, some schools like stanford and purdue may actually have higher cost of attendance #'s because of the nature of the schools but any school that is not top 50 in education rankings that are also in the top coa rankings... probably dirty.

Why are you railing against Louisville...point being they submitted the paperwork like everybody else...it was approved just like it was at Auburn, Mississippi State, South Carolina etc...etc...all those schools are giving more then Kentucky and guess what all of them are on your schedule.

Again...just do what they apparently did in Tusculooosa....now they are their athletes more then they were going to...it is what it is....live with it....

I think you can post more words that have nothing to do with a thread than anyone on this site.

Illegal? Did not say it was.
Relevance to UK's schedule? Zero.
UK or any other school can manipulate the numbers? True.

If UL shot the president, you would justify it and then would attempt to explain why carboard is recyclable.

I think you can post more words that have nothing to do with a thread than anyone on this site.

Illegal? Did not say it was.
Relevance to UK's schedule? Zero.
UK or any other school can manipulate the numbers? True.

If UL shot the president, you would justify it and then would attempt to explain why carboard is recyclable.

Whatever...if you don't like that fact that UofL or any other school has a higher COA just resubmit the paperwork...Bama did it apparently.

You are the one railing...bottom line at the end of the day UofL or any of the schools at the high end of COA has done nothing wrong....my advice...live with it...the OP is about the Cost of Attendence pushed through by the Power 5.

Whatever...if you don't like that fact that UofL or any other school has a higher COA just resubmit the paperwork...Bama did it apparently.

You are the one railing...bottom line at the end of the day UofL or any of the schools at the high end of COA has done nothing wrong....my advice...live with it...

No. Just because you want to avoid the issue, I will not.

Graduated from Centre but nice try. The truth is that how Louisville calculates their COA is perfectly within the rules as currently defined by the ncaa, and more importantly the P5. Clearly that flies in the face of your "logic" regarding UofL which is why you immediately got so salty.

Just looks like you're angry that UofL is paying more then UK...My advice...do what Alabama did when they saw what Auburn and Mississippi State was doing and recalculate...
or some people think that its funny that every time something in a gray area comes up... ul is right there. look, there is a formula and apparently some schools are cheating (it's cheating if you are dishonest about the #'s you are using). ul is 3rd... think about that. ul is 3rd highest cost of attendance. obviously this will set off an arms race and eventually everyone will be at the higher # but ul went there right out the gate. they didn't go by the book and raise when someone else went high. they immediately said "hey, we can fudge these #'s and give players more money and that could be a good recruiting tool for us". period.

or some people think that its funny that every time something in a gray area comes up... ul is right there. look, there is a formula and apparently some schools are cheating (it's cheating if you are dishonest about the #'s you are using). ul is 3rd... think about that. ul is 3rd highest cost of attendance. obviously this will set off an arms race and eventually everyone will be at the higher # but ul went there right out the gate. they didn't go by the book and raise when someone else went high. they immediately said "hey, we can fudge these #'s and give players more money and that could be a good recruiting tool for us". period.

But so did Tennessee at #1...Followed by Auburn @ #2 and right behind Louisville @ #4 Mississippi State...but I guess your SEC Brothers who just happen to be on your schedule didn't "Fudge" the numbers either...

Graduated from Centre but nice try. The truth is that how Louisville calculates their COA is perfectly within the rules as currently defined by the ncaa, and more importantly the P5. Clearly that flies in the face of your "logic" regarding UofL which is why you immediately got so salty.

The fact that you do not know the meaning of "irrelevant" is disappointing for the over-hyped and over-priced Centre. Equally sad is that you believe this system will work because UL's method of deriving its value is not challenged. Meanwhile, your cohort claims UK should use another method to raise its numbers, which is an admission that fabrication through methodology is acceptable to Card fans.

Finally, no one in the country can justify UL being #3 on the list. The education ranks low. The cost of living not high. But, UL fans say "live with it" and it just is and "I have a Centre degree." That may seem like logic for people who do not understand the word "irrelevant " but saying it is does not make it so.

But so did Tennessee at #1...Followed by Auburn @ #2 and right behind Louisville @ #4 Mississippi State...but I guess your SEC Brothers who just happen to be on your schedule didn't "Fudge" the numbers either...

The fact that there are other jokers, does not explain why UL is such a clown.

The fact that you do not know the meaning of "irrelevant" is disappointing for the over-hyped and over-priced Centre. Equally sad is that you believe this system will work because UL's method of deriving its value is not challenged. Meanwhile, your cohort claims UK should use another method to raise its numbers, which is an admission that fabrication through methodology is acceptable to Card fans.

Finally, no one in the country can justify UL being #3 on the list. The education ranks low. The cost of living not high. But, UL fans say "live with it" and it just is and "I have a Centre degree." That may seem like logic for people who do not understand the word "irrelevant " but saying it is does not make it so.

My degree is from the University of Kentucky, but simple common sense says if 9 teams on YOUR schedule are listing a higher COA than your program, then it's a relevant point, as well as relevant to the topic of this thread, regardless of where you want to take the discussion. I personally say continue complaining, continue supporting your program's status quo, and let the advantage for those 9 schools, including UofL, continue.

How can you justify Tennessee at #1....How can you justify Auburn #2....Mississippi State #4....South Carolina @ #13...Missouri @ #19...Florida @ #25....Vanderbilt @ #35...and Kentucky @ 52....you justify it for the simple reason it was approved by the Powers that Be...in other words the only ones the schools have to "Justify" anything is to their Conferences and the NCAA.

It just appears to me as the above poster stated you're just Salty that UofL COA is higher then UK...And you're overlooking the fact that you're almost dead last in the SEC...Sound like a UK issue to me...think about it...51 other schools have a higher COA then Kentucky including Iowa State and Wake Forest

of course they did. why do you keep acting like we didnt think everyone at the top of that list is "cheating"? auburn and tenn are about as dirty as any teams in the country. but with ul being 3rd on the list do you really think they aren't bending some rules??? cause the other 2 ahead of you definitely do. and i dont know how you get any kid to want to go to starksville without some kind of payment. lol

of course they did. why do you keep acting like we didnt think everyone at the top of that list is "cheating"? auburn and tenn are about as dirty as any teams in the country. but with ul being 3rd on the list do you really think they aren't bending some rules??? cause the other 2 ahead of you definitely do. and i dont know how you get any kid to want to go to starksville without some kind of payment. lol

Those schools submitted the required paperwork and it was approved....my question is why does 51 Schools have a higher COA then Kentucky...only 13 P5 Schools are giving lower then the Wildcats.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/full-cost-of-attendance-explained/

Last edited:

Clearly my point is lost on you. The truth is never irrelevant - despite how much you would like it to be given that it flies in the face of the narrative that you continually spit out. You may not agree with it but, the fact of the matter is that currently the truth is that Louisville is playing by the rules with in the context of the COA regulations. Never once did I say that the "system will work" - that was a leap in logic that you made - perhaps you are a product of a "properly hyped" underwhelming educational experience, where comprehension and critical thinking were valued less than mindless criticism.

Those schools submitted the required paperwork and it was approved....my question is why does 51 Schools have a higher COA then Kentucky...only 13 P5 Schools are giving lower then the Wildcats.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/full-cost-of-attendance-explained/
i would say because UK was being honest in its assessment. UK has attracted a lot of out of state students because of the low cost of attendance... especially off campus housing. while at UK most of my friends were from RI, chicago, mich, hawaii, nj, and everywhere else. the schools at the top, their athletic dept's are running their universities. as the article stated, higher # hurts the overall student body and most schools aren't gonna jeopardize enrollment in this economy for a little help in recruiting. so if schools did go higher than reasonably expected... they are doing so for athletic reasons

if stanford is only at $2600 then there is a whole lot of bs in the rest of that list. ul is low cost school too but raising that # will hurt enrollment long term. hard to justify paying the same amount for a wisconsin or ul degree.

but that being said, now that the # seems to be set at +$4500 to be in the ball park... everyone will follow suit.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

Maybe Les doesn't live next to one of the biggest cheaters in sports, and yes, there are lots of ways to cheat, AND a lot of times you just don't get caught, or get lucky, like the investigation at the U.

On the other hand maybe he is one of the cheaters and is looking forward to improvising with the new rules.

My degree is from the University of Kentucky, but simple common sense says if 9 teams on YOUR schedule are listing a higher COA than your program, then it's a relevant point, as well as relevant to the topic of this thread, regardless of where you want to take the discussion. I personally say continue complaining, continue supporting your program's status quo, and let the advantage for those 9 schools, including UofL, continue.

It is perfectly clear to me that UL fans are unable to have an objective discussion about this subject. Not one has attempted to justify their school's claim to have the 3rd highest COA. That is because they cannot. Not event the perpetually biased, continuously defensive UL fans can fathom an explanation.

That is good evidence for the ridiculousness of this process. And, the continued call for UK to use a methodology that increases it COA is more evidence that this rule is being abused and will continue to be abused as schools continue to compete by raising their COA.

And, pretending that saying something is relevant because it is true demonstrates a lack of understanding. Now UK is shamed.

UL fans, solely to defend what they clearly could not explain, chimed in that their school was "legal" and "approved" and that other schools have ridiculous impossible to explain high COAs.

None of that is relevant to the discussion. But, that attempt at diversion is a good sign that they are equally shocked that their school claims a higher COA than Northwestern, Southern Cal, Standford, Georgia Tech, etc.

Clearly my point is lost on you. The truth is never irrelevant - despite how much you would like it to be given that it flies in the face of the narrative that you continually spit out. You may not agree with it but, the fact of the matter is that currently the truth is that Louisville is playing by the rules with in the context of the COA regulations. Never once did I say that the "system will work" - that was a leap in logic that you made - perhaps you are a product of a "properly hyped" underwhelming educational experience, where comprehension and critical thinking were valued less than mindless criticism.

Thanks for proving my point. Something can be true and not be relevant. Relevance is not determined by the truth of a matter. the idea that everything that is true is relevant is inane. You obviously do not know the meaning of the word.

How can you justify Tennessee at #1....How can you justify Auburn #2....Mississippi State #4....South Carolina @ #13...Missouri @ #19...Florida @ #25....Vanderbilt @ #35...and Kentucky @ 52....you justify it for the simple reason it was approved by the Powers that Be...in other words the only ones the schools have to "Justify" anything is to their Conferences and the NCAA.

It just appears to me as the above poster stated you're just Salty that UofL COA is higher then UK...And you're overlooking the fact that you're almost dead last in the SEC...Sound like a UK issue to me...think about it...51 other schools have a higher COA then Kentucky including Iowa State and Wake Forest

I think you are truly a fool.

And, I will not address your strawman arguments.

COA as written is not a black and white rule. It is vague and gives multiple "correct" results. The other schools aren't cheating, they just used numbers within the rule to get a higher result...and yes they will attempt to use that to their advantage. UK, at the bottom end, will suffer unless they adjust the numbers. UK needs to do a better job playing the COA game to avoid a competitive disadvantage in sports. Pretty simple really.

I think you are truly a fool.

And, I will not address your strawman arguments.

1. Not a "Strawman" Argument...a "Fool" resorting to name calling....cute

2. Avoiding the question....now can you justify why Kentucky is one of the lowest of the P5 and you have all of your P5 Opponents giving their Athletes more in COA...Something with the push from the P5 Commish got passed through and everyone of those payments approved by the Powers that be.

Last edited:
Maybe Les doesn't live next to one of the biggest cheaters in sports, and yes, there are lots of ways to cheat, AND a lot of times you just don't get caught, or get lucky, like the investigation at the U.

On the other hand maybe he is one of the cheaters and is looking forward to improvising with the new rules.

Really....Les Miles is in the same Division as the #1 and #4 Schools in the Nation...and you're telling me "Auburn" has a clean rep...ok

COA as written is not a black and white rule. It is vague and gives multiple "correct" results. The other schools aren't cheating, they just used numbers within the rule to get a higher result...and yes they will attempt to use that to their advantage. UK, at the bottom end, will suffer unless they adjust the numbers. UK needs to do a better job playing the COA game to avoid a competitive disadvantage in sports. Pretty simple really.

UL fans like this response. Yet, it exemplifies the weakness of the rule. The "all you have to do is calculate more generously" approach demonstrates there is no real rule or contemplation of the consequences.

1. Not a "Strawman" Argument...a "Fool" resorting to name calling....cute

2. Avoiding the question....now can you justify why Kentucky is one of the lowest of the P5 and you have all of your P5 Opponents giving their Athletes more in COA...Something with the push from the P5 Commish got passed through and everyone of those payments approved by the Powers that be.

When you misstate my position it is a strawman argument. You want people to defend positions they never took. Yes, I think your posts here demonstrate you to be foolish.

Reactions: ModernThirst_Bill
ADVERTISEMENT