ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest NBA player of all time is...

Who's the greatest NBA player of any era?

• Total voters
maverick, you're wrong. Read the NBA history on Wilt. He ran from the foul line and dunked his free throws. They changed the rule. Alcindor played after the change.

Dunking was banned in the NCAA from 1967 to 1976. Many people have attributed this to the dominance of the then-college phenomenon Lew Alcindor (now known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar); the no-dunking rule is sometimes referred to as the "Lew Alcindor rule.
All Wilt was told he had to stay behind the line shooting free throws.

I'll choose (considering all in their prime) Shaq, Jordan, Robertson, Dr J and LeBron
Wilt doesn't push Shaq
Dr J vs Bird
Robertson. At PG vs Magic then Magic can't push his way down to the block
LeBron crushes Lucas
Jordan shows Kobe who the greatest ever is

Lebron wouldn't crush Lucas. Lucas was as good a defender and rebounder as Dennis Rodman, and Lucas was one of the finest shooters to ever play the game.

Bird was a better rebounder and shooter than Dr. J. Dr J was a great showman but a windmill dunk is still just 2 pts.

I don't know how much of Robertson's achievements would translate to today. I think the modern game begins with the Alcindoor/Jabbar and Elvin Hayes era. I know: so how did I pick Jerry Lucas then? Well, like I said, I watched Lucas guard Jabbar. Lucas's game would translate, I think.

I don't doubt that Jordan was better than Kobe. I just don't think he'd be available after I chose Wilt. Would you start your list with Jordan if you were picking first?

My biggest hesitation was not picking Bill Walton for pf. If our criterion in Heaven is the player's peak, then Walton, pre-injuries, was as good as almost anyone you could name.

Greatness in the NBA? Let's talk number of championships and championships and in a row and the player who was of the most central importance to the games best achievement? The answer is the Celtics and Bill Russell. Michael Jordan passed up on the opportunity to rise to Bill Russell's "greatness" when he chose to recreate instead with the Birmingham Barons for a couple of wasted years when he was at his best as a basketball player. Sorry for his personal tragedy that occurred. Sorry also for the fact that it is much more difficult to hit an 85 mph breaking pitch than it is to take John Starks off the dribble. These are the things that Michael Jordan experienced instead of becoming the greatest basketball player of the 20th century and beyond. He should have won 8 championships in a row. Instead he won 3 in a row . . . twice.

Bill Russell won 11 NBA championships in his 13 year NBA career, including his rookie and final season. He came and went a winner. He doesn't have to apologize to anybody for the fact that he dominated the game in his day, which included a full decade against Wilt Chamberlain (Bill Russell's Boston Celtic team won the NBA championship every year both he and Chamberlain were in the league except '67).

Bill Russell also won two NCAA titles.

When looking at Bill Russell's NCAA and NBA career, it is much easier to identify those years in which he and his team did not win the final game of the season. More than 90% of the time, he went out a winner, and he went out a winner a LOT.

Dunking was banned in the NCAA from 1967 to 1976. Many people have attributed this to the dominance of the then-college phenomenon Lew Alcindor (now known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar); the no-dunking rule is sometimes referred to as the "Lew Alcindor rule.
And again, Alcindor did not change or cause any change in the NBA for dunking. See above. Only Wilt made them change the foul shooting rule. Go read the rules and changes.

So you're saying that, for three weeks during the regular season in 1998, the NBA banned all players from dunking, but then changed their mind and reinstated it for the playoffs?
That is correct, google, Did the NBA ever ban the dunk? Somebody thought it was too abrasive but it become OK very quick.

And again, Alcindor did not change or cause any change in the NBA for dunking. See above. Only Wilt made them change the foul shooting rule. Go read the rules and changes.

I don't know how hard this is,they wouldn't let him jump over the free throw line on foul shots they didn't stop him from dunking or anyone else.They did stop all dunking because of alcindor.

I don't know how hard this is,they wouldn't let him jump over the free throw line on foul shots they didn't stop him from dunking or anyone else.They did stop all dunking because of alcindor.
They did not stop all dunking because of Alcindor, just 9 years in the NCAA. Alcindor never stopped dunking in the NBA. Just the facts.

They did not stop all dunking because of Alcindor, just 9 years in the NCAA. Alcindor never stopped dunking in the NBA. Just the facts.

The NBA has never banned a slam dunk. I don't know where you're getting that info from. And they certainly didn't do it on 1998 when they were having a slam dunk contest all star weekend.

And even the rule you mention is about crossing the free throw line, not stopping players from dunking.

The NBA has never banned a slam dunk. I don't know where you're getting that info from. And they certainly didn't do it on 1998 when they were having a slam dunk contest all star weekend.

And even the rule you mention is about crossing the free throw line, not stopping players from dunking.
Look it up. Late in 1998 tkhey stopped it for 3 weeks, that would be AFTER the All Star game and reinstated before the playoffs. Just google it!!

The rule changed jumping over the foul line with the institution of the invisible plane. So you could not dunk a foul shot. Very simple.

Look it up. Late in 1998 tkhey stopped it for 3 weeks, that would be AFTER the All Star game and reinstated before the playoffs. Just google it!!

The rule changed jumping over the foul line with the institution of the invisible plane. So you could not dunk a foul shot. Very simple.

Provide the link for all to see.

Not being able to dunk a free throw is not the same as outlawing the dunk.

That was my pick because Jabbar control the game on both end.

Pretty incredible that Wilt also made them ban the layup and the three-point shot by forcing players to stay inside the key to shoot free throws. Clearly the greatest, most complete offensive game in the history of sport.

Hey Gonzo, you're very knowledgable about the NBA -- do you remember when they banned dribbling for a few days early in the 1987 season?

It was the only way to keep Bill Laimbeer from throwing Zeke into the hardwood, best I recall. Revolutionary at the time. But all that happened before I was born, so I can't comment.

Reactions: maverick1
Dude seriously??? From the very first sentence it says dunking has never been banned in the NBA. I worked for an NBA team during the 1998 season, and the dunk was NEVER banned.
Dude, read the third item down. It clearly says 1998, try again.

Exactly, but do you remember during the '79-'80 season when Larry O'Brien -- following Rick Barry's then-record-setting 95% season FT% -- decreed that every team had to shoot free throws granny-style for the entire season, in a misguided effort to improve shooting %s and increase scoring? I've read Dr. J hated that rule cause, "it just don't look cool."

It's true, you can Google it.

get

Now, THAT I believe lol.

Oh, and in case you're not trolling (and I really hope you aren't), here's the way this works: whenever someone makes an outrageous claim, the onus is on THEM -- not the naysayers -- to provide proof, e.g. a link. Good luck.
You obviously know you are wrong. Admit it.
Oh, and in case you're not trolling (and I really hope you aren't), here's the way this works: whenever someone makes an outrageous claim, the onus is on THEM -- not the naysayers -- to provide proof, e.g. a link. Good luck.
I know you won't admit you're wrong. Just more joking and jabber, but we know you been had. Guess you can't read. I'm done with clowns.

If you go by pure individual dominance by one player against his peers, then Wilt is option 1, 2, and 3. I pick the greatest player ever by deciding who would win a one-on-one matchup, so Wilt is my choice.
  • Wilt vs Russell in one-on-one would result in Russell getting shutout and probably fouled out.
  • Wilt vs Jordan in one-on-one would result in injury to Jordan from the ball being slapped back into his face.
The detraction from Wilt is solely because of his inability to beat the Celtics and probably being regarded as the worse teammate in the history of the NBA. These are pretty big weaknesses. However, as for basketball skill, I will go with this:
  • First NBA game as rookie, 43 pts, 28 rebounds
  • Holds alltime top 4 scoring seasons in NBA history - single game record, 100 pts
  • Holds alltime top 7 rebounding seasons in NBA history - single game record, 55 rebounds
  • Holds alltime top field goal percentage for a season - 72.7%
  • Led NBA in assists one year - as a center!
  • Won Big 8 college high jump three straight years, also competing in 100yd dash, shot putt, and triple-jump - super athlete
  • Inducted into a volleyball hall of fame after basketball career
  • His number is retired from when he played with the Harlem Globetrotters
  • Fought against Conan

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
Dude, read the third item down. It clearly says 1998, try again.
Just because someone posts it on the internet doesn't make it true.

I could post on answers.com that gakat3 is an albino shemale. Does that make it true? My educated guess is no.

If the dunk had ever been banned in the NBA, you would find that info somewhere other than a random dumbass on answers.com. You know some place like the slam dunk entry on wikipedia, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam_dunk

Quick comparison using a couple of regular and advanced stats. Always amazes me to see that Wilt averaged 45 minutes per game, Oscar and Russell 42 at the pace they played at.

Kareem: PPG: 24.6 RPG: 11.2 EFG%: .559
PER: 24.6 WS/48: .228 MVP: 6 Titles: 6

Jordan: PPG: 30.1 RPG: 6.2 EFG%: .509 PER: 27.9 WS/48: .250 MVP: 5 Titles: 6

Magic: PPG: 19.5 APG: 11.2 EFG%: .533 PER: 24.1 WS/48: .225 MVP: 3 Titles: 5

Wilt: PPG: 30.1 RPG: 22.9 EFG%: .540 PER: 26.1 WS/48: .248 MVP: 4 Titles: 2

Oscar: PPG: 25.7 APG: 9.5 RPG: 7.5 EFG%: .485 PER: 23.2 WS/48: .207 MVP: 1 Titles: 1

Russell: PPG: 15.1 RPG: 22.3 EFG%: .440 PER: 18.9 WS/48: .193 MVP: 5 Titles: 11

LeBron: PPG: 27.3 RPG: 7.1 APG: 6.9 EFG%: .531 PER:27.7 WS/48: .240 MVP: 4 Titles: 2

Last edited:
So you are going to use a random internet user on answer.com as your legitimate source? [roll]

They stopped all dunking in the NCAA because of Alcindor that is a FACT, the NBA did not stop any dunking because of wilt that is also a FACT.The reference you use is abot as knowledgeable as you that is also a FACT.

I'm frankly more interested in best than in greatest.

The greatest, I think you can argue Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic Johnson etc.

I don't think Wilt has an argument for greatest, which I see as a subjective/nebulous mix of ability and accomplishment.

But just in terms of best, then I think you have to talk about Jordan, Lebron, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Oscar Robertson, etc - (not excluding anyone from either list on purpose - just throwing out some names for emphasis)

literally just who is a better player at the prime of their careers - independent of their teammates, the owners/management of the organizations they were drafted into, where they were traded, etc - all that circumstantial stuff goes out the window.

I'm frankly more interested in best than in greatest.

The greatest, I think you can argue Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic Johnson etc.

I don't think Wilt has an argument for greatest, which I see as a subjective/nebulous mix of ability and accomplishment.

But just in terms of best, then I think you have to talk about Jordan, Lebron, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Oscar Robertson, etc - (not excluding anyone from either list on purpose - just throwing out some names for emphasis)

literally just who is a better player at the prime of their careers - independent of their teammates, the owners/management of the organizations they were drafted into, where they were traded, etc - all that circumstantial stuff goes out the window.

If we're comparing peaks, I'll put Shaq from 2000-2002 up against anyone.

You can't compare eras, therefore you can't compare players. Bill Russell was the greatest of his era but at 6'9" which is honestly pretty generous, could you imagine him trying to hold Shaq? It's like people saying Issel is the best to ever play here. He had the best career here but if he played today, he MAY be on the level of a Terrence Jones in terms of success. As for GOAT, I'm going Lebron but that's basing on pure ability and skill. MJ was the most clutch.

N
You can't compare eras, therefore you can't compare players. Bill Russell was the greatest of his era but at 6'9" which is honestly pretty generous, could you imagine him trying to hold Shaq? It's like people saying Issel is the best to ever play here. He had the best career here but if he played today, he MAY be on the level of a Terrence Jones in terms of success. As for GOAT, I'm going Lebron but that's basing on pure ability and skill. MJ was the most clutch.

Russell held Wilt I'd say he could have held Shaq.

I don't think you can ignore how prolific and important MJ was. His impact on the game extends beyond the court, and he's the most incredible combination of offense, defense, clutch, winning, scoring and leadership we've ever seen in any sport.

If you were going to argue against him, though, I've always felt like Kareem is terribly underrated in this discussion. He was an unstoppable, consistent force that changed every team he played for. He was, like the other greats, truly a one-of-a-kind player at his position, and if you define "greatness" as accomplishments, numbers, accolades, etc. and as being different than "the best," then I think there's undoubtedly an argument for Kareem.

I don't think this question can be answered there are so many factors involved. I'll give you my picks though.
I think Wilt was the most dominant player to ever play the game.
Jabbar and Russell were not far behind. Jordan would be my next choice along with the "Big O"
I had rather watch Larry Bird than any other player that I 've seen play. Of course Shaq and Magic Johnson has to be in there somewhere.
Last, but you can't leave him off is Kobe Bryant.
To make it a 10 player team, I'll add Bill Walton

I'm sorry but using championships as the ONLY criteria is asinine. The only way that would be accurate is if basketball was a one-on-one sport. It's a team sport. It should absolutely be a major factor but to say Russel is the best because he has more titles than Jordan, for instance, is stupid. Not taking anything away from Russel and if you think he's the greatest, then I respect that. But some people feel it's simply a fact because of the titles. And those people are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT