ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest NBA player of all time is...

Who's the greatest NBA player of any era?

• Total voters

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Votes are public and changeable.

It's between Jordan and Wilt for me. I could go on and on as to why, and don't think that I'll ever be able to decide with any finality, but for this poll I went with Wilt. Tomorrow I might change it to Jordan. But it's definitely always gonna be one of those two for me. xD

I don't think you can ignore how prolific and important MJ was. His impact on the game extends beyond the court, and he's the most incredible combination of offense, defense, clutch, winning, scoring and leadership we've ever seen in any sport.

If you were going to argue against him, though, I've always felt like Kareem is terribly underrated in this discussion. He was an unstoppable, consistent force that changed every team he played for. He was, like the other greats, truly a one-of-a-kind player at his position, and if you define "greatness" as accomplishments, numbers, accolades, etc. and as being different than "the best," then I think there's undoubtedly an argument for Kareem.

I picked Jordan. Lebron is on my 1st team, and may finish first as it is getting absurd how NY Yankee (dominant Yankee rosters of the past) like the Cavs are going to be in a cupcake east.

It's got to be Jordan. The more interesting discussion is who would be 2nd. I would probably (definitely) vote for Bill Russell. Mainly because of all his titles. A little bit because he won as a player/coach. Russell was the ultimate competitor.

However, if Lebron can manage to win a few more, then it might be him. Or he might take over the #1 spot altogether.

As far as we know, Jordan never went to class and was given fake grades for three years without ever exposing the scam. Can't vote for a cheater.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with Jordan in the NBA...kinda an embarrassing hijack post by a great poster. I respect your opinion though, but now this thread will get derailed no doubt.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Be interested to see if folks who say Russell feel that UCLA is the greatest college basketball program of all time. Or if they think a big man that can't shoot 50-percent is really the absolute best basketball player ever.

Be interested to see if folks who say Russell feel that UCLA is the greatest college basketball program of all time. Or if they think a big man that can't shoot 50-percent is really the absolute best basketball player ever.
No on UCLA, but that is a bit more nuanced than just looking at who has the most titles. Programs like UK, UNC, UCLA, etc go through changes over times with the constant player turnover, and the coaching changes. UCLA was great and their stretch from the 60s to the 70s was dominant. But UK has sustained their greatness from the 40s to present.

As for the second part. I'm not sure that matters as much for me. Russell was a clutch player. His record in elimination games was insane, maybe someone will pull it up for me.

Lets do this in 10 years, because i strongly believe AD will be one of the best ever. Only thing that will stop him is the cast of characters around him and not being able to get some championships.

I think he's the greatest too, but my dad says he didn't work hard enough on defense and that lot's of times he didn't even run down the court and that he didn't really try, except during the playoffs.
115.jpg

No on UCLA, but that is a bit more nuanced than just looking at who has the most titles. Programs like UK, UNC, UCLA, etc go through changes over times with the constant player turnover, and the coaching changes. UCLA was great and their stretch from the 60s to the 70s was dominant. But UK has sustained their greatness from the 40s to present.

As for the second part. I'm not sure that matters as much for me. Russell was a clutch player. His record in elimination games was insane, maybe someone will pull it up for me.

Right, but he was on stacked teams in an antiquated era. All of his teammates' records were probably pretty good during elimination games given the circumstances.

I just think it takes more than being a legendary defender and rebounder on the right team to be the greatest ever.

The UCLA comparison is a simplistic one, I admit. But it's essentially show up, win all your titles by beating a small pool of competitors all at once with an overwhelming talent discrepancy, then leave.

You can call Russell a lot of things. Argue he's the best defender or rebounder or teammate or whatever, but the greatest player? A guy who can't even really score? I'm not saying he's a scrub but I feel like the standard for best ever has to be really, really high. I think he feels like the "easy" answer to a complex question because people just point to titles like they're some kind of black and white, undisputed trump card.

Hypothetically, put LeBron at center on those Celtics teams. Bet they're still pretty good.

Who do you pick in Heaven if you've got the first pick in the Eternity All-Star Game? Wilt. As good as Jordan was there are too many 2G/SFs in that neighborhood of skill to not pick Wilt. If you say "Yabbut, Jordan's better" you've committed a category error.

And do you pick according to some kind of Heavenly career average or do you pick at the player's peak? If you pick at the peak, you'd better have Tiny Archibald in your thinking. And if you pick at the peak, I'd say there's never been anyone better than Larry Bird on the cusp of his NBA career: he played his entire NBA career with a broken index finger that had never healed correctly.

So, going back in the alley, I can imagine drafting a team for that All-Star game that consisted of Wilt, Bird, Jerry Lucas, Magic, and Kobe and nobody would come within 10 points of them. I saw Lucas defend Kareem in Lucas's waning years. A 6'8" guy against 7'1".

I'd pick Magic over Tiny at point because of Magic playing center (and winning!) when Kareem was injured. I pick Kobe because everyone else would have snatched up superior shooting guards. He's be available.

I have witnessed all the great players in my 78 years of life and although I didn't appreciate him at the time I would say Wilt was the best individual player. Bill Russell would be the best team player in the pros. I know college wasn't mentioned but Pete Maravich was the best basketball player I ever watched in college. He had skills that most would never imagine. If you have never watched him I suggest you check him out on youtube.com.

Reactions: wentzel25
IMO, its Jordan or Russell. I don't understand Wilt, apparently its all about winning except for Bill. He's one of three four time MVP's (could be 4 but I think its 3 and am too lazy to fact check) and won 11 dang championships.

I'll say that again, 11 championships! If Bill had played in a different era it would be a no brainer IMO. But MJ was unquestionably great and should have won 8 if he had not retired in the middle of his career. I myself am a huge LeBron fan and re-watched game 6 of the 98 finals and was amazed at how an old man Jordan finished the the game with 5-6 straight clutch plays that won the bulls their sixth title. After watching that I felt no way LeBron would have made all those plays. S for me its really more of a 1a and 1b, but I'll but Bill at 1a.

And at 3 I'll put LeBron because I think he's pure greatness. People like to hate but he's greatness. To me its illogical to argue he goes yankees on everyone ones ass, because if the great players like MJ and Bill hadn't naturally landed in positions with hall of famers they wouldn't be in the position they are in with so many titles.

I have witnessed all the great players in my 78 years of life and although I didn't appreciate him at the time I would say Wilt was the best individual player. Bill Russell would be the best team player in the pros. I know college wasn't mentioned but Pete Maravich was the best basketball player I ever watched in college. He had skills that most would never imagine. If you have never watched him I suggest you check him out on youtube.com.
Are you sure about that. Pete's record in NCAA tournament games is no better than my record.

Best college player is probably Lew Alcindor/Kareem. You might even argue Bill Walton.

Are you sure about that. Pete's record in NCAA tournament games is no better than my record.

We are discussing individual players not team players. Pete would have averaged 50 some points a game if the 3 point rule had been in effect. He was a wizard with the basketball.

Best college player is probably Lew Alcindor/Kareem. You might even argue Bill Walton.
I'd even say Larry Bird. Who else could take the Indiana State Sycamores all the way to the NCAA title game. I'd also put him down with the all time greats in the NBA. There's no telling how much more he would have accomplished had injuries not robbed him of so much of his career. That man could flat out get it done.

We are discussing individual players not team players. Pete would have averaged 50 some points a game if the 3 point rule had been in effect. He was a wizard with the basketball.

Greatness in basketball = winning. Alcindor is easily the greatest college player. They changed rules because of him.

Shaq should be on the list. Prime Shaq was the best basketball player ever.

Many can be listed but only Wilt is #1.

If you didn't see him then you wouldn't know. Only the Stilt had the rules changed, one after another.

Reactions: Hangar1
Who do you pick in Heaven if you've got the first pick in the Eternity All-Star Game? Wilt. As good as Jordan was there are too many 2G/SFs in that neighborhood of skill to not pick Wilt. If you say "Yabbut, Jordan's better" you've committed a category error.

And do you pick according to some kind of Heavenly career average or do you pick at the player's peak? If you pick at the peak, you'd better have Tiny Archibald in your thinking. And if you pick at the peak, I'd say there's never been anyone better than Larry Bird on the cusp of his NBA career: he played his entire NBA career with a broken index finger that had never healed correctly.

So, going back in the alley, I can imagine drafting a team for that All-Star game that consisted of Wilt, Bird, Jerry Lucas, Magic, and Kobe and nobody would come within 10 points of them. I saw Lucas defend Kareem in Lucas's waning years. A 6'8" guy against 7'1".

I'd pick Magic over Tiny at point because of Magic playing center (and winning!) when Kareem was injured. I pick Kobe because everyone else would have snatched up superior shooting guards. He's be available.

I'll choose (considering all in their prime) Shaq, Jordan, Robertson, Dr J and LeBron
Wilt doesn't push Shaq
Dr J vs Bird
Robertson. At PG vs Magic then Magic can't push his way down to the block
LeBron crushes Lucas
Jordan shows Kobe who the greatest ever is

My career player on NBA 2k15 should have been put on there but it's ok. Jordan

Many can be listed but only Wilt is #1.

If you didn't see him then you wouldn't know. Only the Stilt had the rules changed, one after another.

Jabbar had the dunk outlawed.

I think he's the greatest too, but my dad says he didn't work hard enough on defense and that lot's of times he didn't even run down the court and that he didn't really try, except during the playoffs.

Yeah, and the big fella had some other issues as well.

a2692df0d59af7ef74419c7b6836ca2f.jpg

I don't watch much NBA, but I saw a side by side comparison of Kareem and MJ ... Kareem was better in basically every major stat, did he play many more years or something?

For the record, the first 'dunk' outlawed was when Wilt jumped from the foul line and DUNKED the ball (for his foul shots). Alcindor was well after this. That was the 'changed' NBA dunk.

maverick, you're wrong. Read the NBA history on Wilt. He ran from the foul line and dunked his free throws. They changed the rule. Alcindor played after the change.

When Wilt Chamberlain was in high school, he had a unique way of shooting free-throws. He would stand at the top of the key, throw the ball up toward the basket, take two steps, jump toward the rim and jam the ball through the net. Doing this resulted in basketball rules to state that a player cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line when shooting a free-throw.

In 1956, during his freshman year in college, the NCAA banned dunking free throws, as a result of rumors that Chamberlain had been doing that in high school. Later, the NBA also banned dunking free throws.

When Lew Alcindor started playing basketball in college for UCLA, the NCAA officials felt that he was too dominant a player—one who could dunk the ball at will. They felt he would be unstoppable, so they changed the rules to forbid dunking in college games. This was called the "Alcindor Rule."

The Alcindor rule held from 1967 to 1975, when it was rescinded, and players were allowed to dunk again. As a result of the rule, Alcindor developed a devastating hook shot, which he used effectively during his playing days in college and the NBA.

Last edited:
As a result of the rule, Alcindor developed a good hook shot, which he used effectively during his playing days in college and the NBA.

That hook was better than good.;)

Reactions: Kycatspaws
Again to clarify, the NBA outlawed the dunk for 3 weeks in 1998, due to fear of injury, etc. But they reinstated it for the playoffs that year. It has never been banned other than the 3 weeks in the history of the NBA. Mikan and many others dunked early. This had nothing to do with Alcindor, they changed the COLLEGE NCAA rules for 8 or 9 years and that was due to Alcindor.

Therefore the only dunk outlawed in the NBA was jumping from the foul line when they established the 'plane' at the foul line. And hence Wilt.

ADVERTISEMENT