ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Shoots Back At Muslim Terrorists

Hitchens was a very smart and educated man. I dare say he is seemed very likable. More often than not, he made very good points, including those that say that mankind has corrupted religon.

He lost me when he suggests there is no God. Personally, I think he was too smart to believe that all things living got here by themselves. He was comfortable in his own skin, and comfortable proclaiming that there was no God. For whatever reason, he had trouble with faith.

Hitchens was a very smart and educated man. I dare say he is seemed very likable. More often than not, he made very good points, including those that say that mankind has corrupted religon.

He lost me when he suggests there is no God. Personally, I think he was too smart to believe that all things living got here by themselves. He was comfortable in his own skin, and comfortable proclaiming that there was no God. For whatever reason, he had trouble with faith.
You should stop your argument right there before someone debunks all Judeo-Christian religions in no more than a paragraph.

Well, the problem with that debate is your side has absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that your position is true, especially if you're a follower of a Judeo-Christian religion, as I previously stated.

Well, the problem with that debate is your side has absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that your position is true, especially if you're a follower of a Judeo-Christian religion, as I previously stated.

That's a matter of opinion. Common sense tells you something or somebody had to create all things living. Nothing else makes sense. To say that all things living fell out of the sky or rose up out of some slime also has no evidence.

I didn't say that Willy, I meant they aren't going to stop attacking western society. Eventually they'll do something so atrocious we have to make a stand, or lean more to their thinking, which I don't see happening.
With all the airstrikes, drone bombing, or special forces use have they shown any inkling of losing their will to fight?

I didn't say that Willy, I meant they aren't going to stop attacking western society. Eventually they'll do something so atrocious we have to make a stand, or lean more to their thinking, which I don't see happening.
With all the airstrikes, drone bombing, or special forces use have they shown any inkling of losing their will to fight?

Sounds like we don't have a lot options Bill.

Two more ignorant murderers gone from this country. The police officer set a great example of you're not going to pull that stuff in the states and get away with it. Good job.

"The barbarians aren't at the gates. They're already inside. And it was the religious elite who kept the gates open for them." Hitchens, as usual, dead-on.

There's alot of options besides dropping a nuclear bomb. I'm not saying we should go after them now, it unfortunately is going to take something to galvanize the west to confront them in a way to stop them.

Do you see anything on their part of slowing down attacks?

Just curious if your single paragraph will provide sufficient proof that a simple cell may develop from non-living matter?

Christianity often gets a black eye over the Crusades, and to some degree, rightly so.

But humanly speaking you can kind of see why it happened.

There's alot of options besides dropping a nuclear bomb. I'm not saying we should go after them now, it unfortunately is going to take something to galvanize the west to confront them in a way to stop them.

Do you see anything on their part of slowing down attacks?
No. How many options you think Truman had? I know it's a different time and different place. But Japan and U.S are pretty good friends now. Yet the Japanese have an honor system that middle easterners will never have. So I'm not sure about the blowback. Frankly, 'd rather turn the place into a parking lot rather than it sucking money from American tax payer's pockets.

U.S develops Neutron bomb. Drop it, kill the life and leave the buildings intact.

So, Obama and his Liberal media friends don't want anyone doing anything that provokes Muslims, and yet, he and they believe in gay marriage,abortions,etc. If you did any of that in a Muslim country you would be killed. So, I am amused at this trying to cowtow to Muslims about a cartoon.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Thats why I mentioned Japan, if we didn't drop the bomb we would've had to invaded and caused far more loss of life. And if they knew we only had two they probably would'nt have surrendered after the bombs.
My point was their will to fight had to be completely destroyed, and the threat of what the US was capable of in their heads.

Thats why I mentioned Japan, if we didn't drop the bomb we would've had to invaded and caused far more loss of life. And if they knew we only had two they would've surrendered after the bombs.
My point was their will to fight had to be completely destroyed, and the threat of what the US was capable of in their heads.
So how differently do you think middle easterners will to fight is different from the Japanese?

The Crusades were a retaliation for the Muslims advances into Europe and takeover of Jerusalem.
That's not very Christ like.

I don't think the Crusades were solely focused on Islam. They were killing ANYONE who would not become Christian.

Back to the point, while holding a drawing the prophet contest was in poor taste, and tacky it doesn't warrant killing someone over it.

I don't think it's different, I agree with you Willy.
At some point, I think we will have to make a decision. A very difficult decision that will probably make us feel like Barbarians, but I don't see them stopping. It's not in their blood.

That's not very Christ like.

I don't think the Crusades were solely focused on Islam. They were killing ANYONE who would not become Christian.

Over time the crusades kind of took on lives of its own, and developed different motivations, most of which can't be defended. However the original and main intent was what Bill said, as they were faced with similar questions that we may soon be faced with.

Over time the crusades kind of took on lives of its own, and developed different motivations, most of which can't be defended. However the original and main intent was what Bill said, as they were faced with similar questions that we may soon be faced with.
The Great Schism in 1054 was about enhancing the church's power and spreading it, not revenge. You're right that Islam gave them fuel to begin it, but I think revenge and justice got lost before the Crusades even started.

The Great Schism in 1054 was about enhancing the church's power and spreading it, not revenge. You're right that Islam gave them fuel to begin it, but I think revenge and justice got lost before the Crusades even started.

There's little doubt that man has corrupted the church as with everything else. Christianity in its most pure form was about the first 300 years after Christ's death and resurrection and yet before Constantine. Things got rather ugly up until then to the Reformation. The church is made up of flawed people of faith.

Willy, Did people benefit from the crusades and gain power, sure, they do in every war. Like we did from WWII, we basically got what the Nazis and Japanese wanted from it, world domination. But we didn't ask for it, nor want it, we just didn't want another horrific world war. But we definitely benefitted from it.
Is that what happened to cause the crusades? I don't know, but it's probably closer to the truth than we realize.

People are flawed. Whether religious, scholars, politicians,military leaders or the guy at the local business. We start out with good intentions, but without discipline and devotion, anyone of us can be lead down a bad path.

There is the big issue that so many fail to recognize. Look how outraged we were over 9/11 - and rightfully so. Look how outraged we are over this Texas incident, and we didn't even lose any lives on our side. But every week, innocents are being killed in the Middle East by our bombs. As Americans, we are numb to it. We kill the #7 bad guy in ISIS, but have some innocent children as collateral damage, and it is is meaningless to us. However, those deaths likely spark a whole new group on people willing to die to get a measure of revenge against the United States and allies. It is an ugly, vicious circle. And when people get organized around religion and radical zealot leaders, the possibilities are limitless unfortunately.
So we should just sit back and do nothing?

The events being discussed and this thread discussing them totally affirms my decision 20 years ago to quit religion and not look back.

The thought of killing another person over the belief in a higher power that may or may not exist is insane.

"Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand

Fools like me, who cross the sea
And come to foreign lands
Ask the sheep, for their beliefs
Do you kill on God's command?"

- Megadeth

What's this thread done to reaffirm that decision? No one is saying we should kill people over their religious belief.
All we're doing is stating the obvious. People are going to kill other people in masses whether over religion or dirt. Unfortunately it's human behavior, some just use different forms to convey it.
It'd be nice if we could all just get along, and live in a decent society. But we can't seem do to that, so all we can do is try our best to be fair and just, but also accept some truths no matter how harsh.

Reactions: liveblue92
The guy's crusade video is pretty illuminating but the Europeans fought over much more than defending and recapturing Jerusalem. He also glosses over the reconquista

What a shame some folks want to bury their heads in the sand and denounce Christians as a response to this. Handcuffed and paralyzed by fear of offending non-white people.

The events being discussed and this thread discussing them totally affirms my decision 20 years ago to quit religion and not look back.

The thought of killing another person over the belief in a higher power that may or may not exist is insane.

"Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand

Fools like me, who cross the sea
And come to foreign lands
Ask the sheep, for their beliefs
Do you kill on God's command?"

- Megadeth

A lot of folks feel the same way you do Mega, and I agree - killing someone over a belief is insane.

(And since you quoted Megadeth, I know one of Dave Mustaine's sisters and she is one of the best people you will ever meet)

we need to get past the religion part, if all religion disappeared tomorrow people would still kill each other and wage war, they'd just take up some new cause to justify it.
Some people are like rabid dogs, you love them, they look the same, but they will turn on you.
I'm not saying we should go to the Middle East and round them up. I'm saying we're heading to some kind of end game here. The way we in the west live directly clashes with a large portion of Islam. I don't know why, but I do know you can't have a renegade army running through the Middle East committing genocide, suicide bombers killing people and blowing up buildings. Leaving them alone doesn't work, surgically striking them doesn't work, and I don't think we're going to choose their lifestyle. Jusy my opinion on where this whole thing is heading.

Reactions: pikespeak1
ADVERTISEMENT