ADVERTISEMENT

Tai Wynyard says :

That's good to hear but I don't want the young man to enroll early unless he is ready to contribute like the kid that we were after but enrolled at UT cause we didn't have the scholarship to give to him.
If he comes and is no where near contributing then a redshirt would be more advisable for the remainder of the year. But I'm sure he is more than ready to add to the team than say Willis is down low.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6365-1355938751-11_zpsnlslsmv4.gif

Why do people think he is nowhere near ready to play? I've seen that a few times. The kid played in the Nike Hoop Summit. Granted he didn't play much, but he wouldn't have been on the roster if he was such a project.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Why do people think he is nowhere near ready to play? I've seen that a few times. The kid played in the Nike Hoop Summit. Granted he didn't play much, but he wouldn't have been on the roster if he was such a project.

He looked out of place in that game. While it would be great if he could contribute right away, I just can't see it. Watched one of his games. It will take him a half season to adjust to the speed of D-I ball.

I think it's because he didn't look competitive against the other players there, and because joining midyear would put him behind other freshmen. May or may not mean he won't contribute this year, but it does mean I won't get my hopes up too much. Being invited to the Hoop Summit does mean I get my hopes up about his ability to contribute by his second year, though.

Wynyard's recent competition has come as a member of the New Zealand Breakers professional team. While practicing with the Breakers, the new UK commitment is matching up against post players that have excelled at major U.S. colleges and at the international level.

Givony said Wynyard has the size and competitive demeanor to "punish" opponents around the rim. He compared him to former UK post player Josh Harrellson, who helped the Cats reach the Final Four in 2011.

"He has good hands and good touch around the basket," he said. "He's not really an athlete, he's not really explosive. ... He's a rebounder, he's an inside guy, he's a banger."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/25/3660089/new-zealand-basketball-prospect.html#storylink=cpy

Who said he wasn't ready to play?

If he can enforce down low, grab boards and hit a midrange shot like jorts then he would be outstanding for us.
Not to mention 5 fouls lol

It doesn't really matter if he's not a great player next year. I don't think anyone has even suggested that. Getting him next year would give us five more fouls to spend in the post if necessary. He doesn't need to be Karl Towns. He can be Eloy Vargas, and that's fine.

Kentucky Men's Basketball Recruiting News
May 22 at 10:22am ·

Tai Wynyard says Kentucky having only 3 true big men makes it more appealing for him to enroll in December
He already has better skills and hops than big Dakari... If he wants to come - let him! Another big body and it will help him for next year.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
It's all about March. If he enrolls in December, Cal has him for 3 full months plus Camp Cal.
I think this would be a huge benefit to the Cats for another run. Helps any potential foul or injury situation.
What's not to like?

Reactions: ukfan041
I hope he does come that would help a lot. If I recall when he 1st committed he said something about trying to come in this year.

Wynyard's recent competition has come as a member of the New Zealand Breakers professional team. While practicing with the Breakers, the new UK commitment is matching up against post players that have excelled at major U.S. colleges and at the international level.

Givony said Wynyard has the size and competitive demeanor to "punish" opponents around the rim. He compared him to former UK post player Josh Harrellson, who helped the Cats reach the Final Four in 2011.

"He has good hands and good touch around the basket," he said. "He's not really an athlete, he's not really explosive. ... He's a rebounder, he's an inside guy, he's a banger."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/25/3660089/new-zealand-basketball-prospect.html#storylink=cpy

Wow, that sounds really encouraging!!!

AlohaCat

Labissiere, Poythress, and Lee are going to get most of the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, but he would be perfect to give us 5-10 minutes when we have foul trouble.

Nice insurance policy, if he is willing to fill that role for half a season.

ALBANY (Rupp Arena, Friday, Nov. 13, 2015)
NJIT (Rupp Arena, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015)
DUKE (United Center, Chicago, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015)
WRIGHT STATE (Rupp Arena, Friday, Nov. 20, 2015)
BOSTON (Rupp Arena, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015)
SOUTH FLORIDA (American Airlines Arena, Miami, Friday, Nov. 27, 2015)
ILLINOIS STATE (Rupp Arena, Monday, Nov. 30, 2015)
UCLA (Pauley Pavilion, Los Angeles, Thursday, Dec. 3, 2015)
EASTERN KENTUCKY (Rupp Arena, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015)
ARIZONA STATE (Rupp Arena, Saturday, Dec. 12, 2015)
OHIO STATE (Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y., Saturday, Dec. 19, 2015)
LOUISVILLE (Rupp Arena, Saturday, Dec. 26, 2015)

Term 4 Monday 12 October

Primary and intermediate:
No later than Friday 18 December
(98 half-days)*

Secondary and composite:
No later than Wednesday 16 December
(94 half-days)*

I've seen nothing of him but the highlight video. But whether he is an all-star or not, I feel like him joining mid-season would be perfect. It would give him some more time to adjust and give us injury insurance and a plug for when our front line gets into foul trouble. I want Skal to get as many minutes as possible without someone behind him feeling like he deserves more court time. I doubt Tai would be complaining much about that.

I've seen nothing of him but the highlight video. But whether he is an all-star or not, I feel like him joining mid-season would be perfect. It would give him some more time to adjust and give us injury insurance and a plug for when our front line gets into foul trouble. I want Skal to get as many minutes as possible without someone behind him feeling like he deserves more court time. I doubt Tai would be complaining much about that.
Eloy Vargas was our backup center for a Final Four team in 2011 and National Title team in 2012. Surely this kid is capable of contributing in practice and in games at his level.

There is nothing wrong with this kid enrolling early and being able to provide some situational minutes behind the starters.

That's good to hear but I don't want the young man to enroll early unless he is ready to contribute like the kid that we were after but enrolled at UT cause we didn't have the scholarship to give to him.
If he comes and is no where near contributing then a redshirt would be more advisable for the remainder of the year. But I'm sure he is more than ready to add to the team than say Willis is down low.

Sounds good to me!

Would especially come in handy when we face the Hack & Shove teams... too bad he'd start playing right after the UL game.

I believe Tai Wynyard is a work in progress, You don't see many 17 year old 6'10 1/2 and 264 pounds and seems to be pretty solid.. Div 1 BB he will have to adjust to the pace of the game but I think he will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT