ADVERTISEMENT

Tai Wynard

caneintally

All-American
Oct 2, 2002
Jacksonville now , Louisville in my heart
From that most recent article on here it sure sounds like he will be with us in December . Boy a team with he ( a good player who will one day be a 1st rounder ) and Murray ( a top 10 pick ) is a totally different team then the one we thought we might have a week ago. That team was top 5 but could as easily lose in the round of 16 as the win the whole thing . This team has to be the favorite .

A line up of

Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Poythress
Skal

with a 2nd 5 of

Mulder
Matthews
Willis or Hawkins
Lee
Wynard

is flat out amazing . the best part is guys with NBA potential like Mulder , Matthews and Wynard can come along at their own pace and not be forced into a ton of minutes.

Reactions: .S&C.
From that most recent article on here it sure sounds like he will be with us in December . Boy a team with he ( a good player who will one day be a 1st rounder ) and Murray ( a top 10 pick ) is a totally different team then the one we thought we might have a week ago. That team was top 5 but could as easily lose in the round of 16 as the win the whole thing . This team has to be the favorite .

A line up of

Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Poythress
Skal

with a 2nd 5 of

Mulder
Matthews
Willis or Hawkins
Lee
Wynard

is flat out amazing . the best part is guys with NBA potential like Mulder , Matthews and Wynard can come along at their own pace and not be forced into a ton of minutes.

Helluva team. It's going to be a solid year regardless.

Reactions: caneintally
I trust Cal to do what is best for the young man, as well as the team. If he feels the team would benefit by having him play the 2nd half of the season, and the young man would benefit from it also, then bring him on. I personally want him to join the team ASAP, as I do feel we're thin on the front line, and should an injury occur to one of our big guys we would be REALLY thin.

A line up of

Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Poythress
Skal

with a 2nd 5 of

Mulder
Matthews
Willis or Hawkins
Lee
Wynard

Cane, where is that article?

Reactions: bigc45157
With Murray and Wynyard, we have everything we need, IMHO.

This is how I see it:

Starters
G Ulis- 30-35mpg.
G Briscoe- 30-35mpg.
G Murray- 30-35mpg.
F Poythress- 25-30mpg.
F Labissiere- 25-30mpg.

Key Reserves
Lee- 20-25mpg.
Mulder(or Matthews)- 15-20mpg.

Bench
Wynyard- 5-10mpg for foul trouble.
Matthews(or Mulder)- spot duty.
Hawkins- spot duty.
Willis- spot duty.
Floreal- mop up.

I could also see Wynyard coming in second semester and not playing to preserve his four years of eligibility if Cal is comfortable with the rotation (Willis is playing well, he is comfortable playing one of the guards at the 4 at times, etc.).

I don't think Wynyard will come in and average double digit minutes right off the bat, though.

Murray on the other hand is a stud and plays every second he can. Playing for Cal could get him into the lottery in 2016. I don't think he could be #1 in a draft with Labissiere, Simmons, Diallo, etc.

To contribute in Calipari's system, it is very important to go through offseason conditioning, October practices, November scrimmages, and play in 1st semester games. The nonconference schedule is when team chemistry forms and playing roles are worked out. When Wynyard committed, the plan he talked about was to start playing in 2016-17. That's why every publication lists him as a commitment to Kentucky's 2016-17 class. If Wynyard starts playing 2nd semester next year, he would be making a bad decision for his career. Some will argue that it wouldn't matter, but they are only thinking of next year's depth chart, not of Wynyard's best interests. And if Calipari encourages Wynyard to start playing 2nd semester next year, I think he would be making a mistake. As long as Calipari maintains this is a players first program, he can't do that. If he does, then it isn't a players first program. Even if Wynyard participates in conditioning and practices, losing the opportunity to play in the nonconference games would put him way behind everyone else. I sure don't buy the idea that it won't matter because Wynyard is not a 4 year player. Explain that to Alex Poythress.

Do I think Wynyard can be a stud at UK? Yes. But I don't think he can come in and contribute right away. If he decides to come in in December and can give us 5 to 10 minutes a game of high energy, good defense, and rebounding, I'll be happy. My hope is that would not affect the team chemistry and rotation that we should have set by then. Might be best for him, even if he comes in in December, to wait and play starting Fall of 2016.

I don't understand how anyone could think that coming in early and getting a head start on learning our system and practicing with the team could hurt his career. This makes zero sense to me. If he's not ready to play, then Can simply doesn't play him, however he can still practice and start learning our system!

^That is the point I was going for UK1111. I would like for him to come in in December. But only play if her is 100% ready. If not, get plenty of practice and be ready for next year.

I don't understand how anyone could think that coming in early and getting a head start on learning our system and practicing with the team could hurt his career. This makes zero sense to me. If he's not ready to play, then Can simply doesn't play him, however he can still practice and start learning our system!

This is what I have been saying for a while. It falls on deaf ears.

The only drawback is if the kid plans to stay four year, he will lose half a semester if he plays second semester. It would count as one year of eligibility.

If he wants to keep the year, he can just practice and go to class and retain four years of eligibility.

I don't think it will be an issue. Most players who play for Cal don't use all their eligibility anyway.

But that is a decision for the student and the staff to deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT