ADVERTISEMENT

Suspended Arkansas Player in Pickup Games; Team Locker Room

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Note...this is a thread from our SEC brethren at Hogville. There's mixed opinions on it, but there seems to be a consensus that someone should be monitoring this type of stuff with the staff out of town.

However, the Arkansas staff is out of town, and apparently Jacorey Williams was released on bond, posted on social media that he was playing pickup games on campus and in the locker room with other players.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on it, considering what they are suspended for. It's not like a Randolph Morris or Enes Kanter eligibility issue, it's a pretty serious criminal issue.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=595571.0

If Coach goofball can figure out a way to play these thugs he will do so. No, they should not be playing with the guys, but what can you do really I guess.

I would be very surprised at this point if the Monk circle allows their son to be around that program. Kentucky offers a sure-thing and a safe, proven environment. Arkansas represents a forest fire.

It's sad to see the Arkansas basketball program get this bad. Would like to see SEC teams get stronger. Like some of you I don't see Monk going to Arkansas.

eh, they haven't been convicted yet and my kids have played pickup games in the Craft center.

Passing out counterfeit money is a federal crime. Maybe he used some more to bond himself out. I thought all three were suspended.
I work at one of the two currency manufacturing facilities in the country and something like this is taken VERY seriously. He'll be lucky to avoid jail time.

After reading the thread, I definitely want more info before agreeing that this was that bad. I am not saying it wasn't bad. I just want more info.
Would you like "possible" felons (that were just arrested hanging around our team?
Yes, I agree 100%innocent until proven guilty.
But it still reflects poorly IMO.
They can play a pickup game anywhere
A team leader should have stepped up, and ask them to have a little space while this gets sorted out.

The thread goes into it a bit. Basically, he posted it on social media what he was doing. Most of the Arky fans actually agreed that anyone who has any influence (AD, strength staff, etc..) should be doing something, if anything to avoid a potential bad reputation and PR. Technically, if he's just playing pickup with his buddies, he's not breaking any rules.

It's a different story if he's using ANY team facilities, equipment, etc...

Even so, it sends the wrong message, especially as they face federal charges.

Would you like "possible" felons (that were just arrested hanging around our team?
A team leader should have stepped up, and ask them to have a little space while this gets sorted out.

I see your point but either you haven't raised boys this age or you are expecting a whole lot from a 20 year "leader" who is a friend to these guys.

That is a good post and completely valid. But, I guess I still want more facts. These guys aren't just a "team" but are mostly likely close friends. Playing a pickup game might be a better alternative for them as opposed to being out on the street getting in more trouble.

Having said that, I think what UNC did was horrible with keeping PJ on the bench. Roy was making a statement that PJ didn't do anything all that bad and he was going to play ASAP. I just don't see that in the Arkansas situation.....without more facts.

eh, they haven't been convicted yet and my kids have played pickup games in the Craft center.
By that logic, I guess Anderson should let the players stay on the team and play in every game this season until proven guilty?

By that logic, I guess Anderson should let the players stay on the team and play in every game this season until proven guilty?

Hyperbole much? No, but letting them play unstructured pickup games with their friends? Yes, why not. They are not convicted criminals, they have not been kicked out of school or even off the team. They have been suspended from team activities.

You do not have to be a scholarship player to play pickup games at the school's practice center. My kids played at Craft multiple times this year.

You guys want to lock them in a cell away from all other students until they even get a formal court date? Counterfeit money, we had that issue here in Lexington a few years ago. It's not like they were out raping people, there is no threat to other students for them to be playing pick up ball.

It is most likely better for them to be around their team at this point in time because they could be facing some very dire penalties that will change their lives for the worse.

If this was one of our kids you guys would NOT be this way over a pickup game.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherfan
ADVERTISEMENT